HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Old
07-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
If Staal got around that much, we'd be 2-2.5 million over the cap.
So -Redden, we'd have about $4M in free cap space?

Rather, closer to $2M because it'd be better off if we avoided bonus penalties.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 06:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
If Staal got around that much, we'd be 2-2.5 million over the cap.
That's great news then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
So -Redden, we'd have about $4M in free cap space?

Rather, closer to $2M because it'd be better off if we avoided bonus penalties.
Don't forget the salary we would have to pay for whoever is filling Redden's roster spot...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That's great news then!

Don't forget the salary we would have to pay for whoever is filling Redden's roster spot...
That's kind of what I mean, $4M/$2M space for a replacement.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Block More Shots

How amazing would it be if Redden was dumped in the minors and then we sign Jagr to like a 1 year 1 mil deal?

I doubt it happens but it's nice to think about haha

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:26 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

If you assume that Staal signs for $4.5MM, here's what the cap situation looks like:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Frolov ($3.000m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.821m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($4.500m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Wade Redden ($6.500m)
Steve Eminger ($1.125m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,621,667; BONUSES: $2,162,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$3,059,167

In other words, that's $3MM over the cap - and that's with ALL bonuses deferred to next year. Theoretically, I guess you could make this work by, say, playing the minimum 20 and demoting MZA + Gilroy (Brashear counts against the cap even if he's in the minors, unless you get someone to take him in a trade) and you'd still have to sacrifice about $1.6MM of next year's cap. EDIT: Strike that - I just remembered that $850K of MZA's compensation is bonus. You'd have to demote him, Gilroy AND Boyle and actually play Brashear on the fourth line as one of your 20 skaters.

Uh yeah... barring a trade, Redden is playing in HFD or somewhere in Europe next year.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-31-2010 at 12:35 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 07:26 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If you assume that Staal signs for $4.5MM, here's what the cap situation looks like:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Frolov ($3.000m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.821m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($4.500m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Wade Redden ($6.500m)
Steve Eminger ($1.125m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,621,667; BONUSES: $2,162,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$3,059,167

In other words, that's $3MM over the cap - and that's with ALL bonuses deferred to next year. Theoretically, I guess you could make this work by, say, playing the minimum 20 and demoting MZA + Gilroy (Brashear counts against the cap even if he's in the minors, unless you get someone to take him in a trade) and you'd still have to sacrifice about $1.6MM of next year's cap. EDIT: Strike that - I just remembered that $850K of MZA's compensation is bonus. You'd have to demote him, Gilroy AND Boyle and actually play Brashear on the fourth line as one of your 20 skaters.

Uh yeah... barring a trade, Redden is playing in HFD or somewhere in Europe next year.
Got to agree. Redden is done. There's no way the Rangers can make it work apart from trading Rozsival and not bringing back a lot of salary. I'm not a great big fan of Rosy's but he at least is still a legit top 4 and we're going to need him. The other thing is your lineup is actually 22 because Brashear's not going to play for us even if his salary is going to count. Dumping Redden solves all problems with the least amount of fuss--gives us space for Staal--may even allow enough space for a McDonagh to make the team if he's ready.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Kaktus*

Dump Redden, add Savard. This is what I think is going to happen.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:44 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Dump Redden, add Savard. This is what I think is going to happen.
I have a really funny feeling that Glen has at least inquired about Savard. For some reason, I don't think he comes here. I really think Sather has learned from the long term contracts he gave Drury and Redden.

Drury got a concussion, hasn't been the same player since. Redden, well...

I love Savard as a player and would welcome him with open arms here. Of course, it would all depend on the price to get him. I could live with giving up Gilroy and Washington's 2nd, but I'm wary of the six or seven years left on his contract. Hopefully the cap goes up enough so that a buyout will be practical when he starts to decline.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
I have a really funny feeling that Glen has at least inquired about Savard. For some reason, I don't think he comes here. I really think Sather has learned from the long term contracts he gave Drury and Redden.

Drury got a concussion, hasn't been the same player since. Redden, well...

I love Savard as a player and would welcome him with open arms here. Of course, it would all depend on the price to get him. I could live with giving up Gilroy and Washington's 2nd, but I'm wary of the six or seven years left on his contract. Hopefully the cap goes up enough so that a buyout will be practical when he starts to decline.
What does this mean? How do you give up another teams draft pick?

(Not sarcastic... just not sure how this works)

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:00 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
What does this mean? How do you give up another teams draft pick?

(Not sarcastic... just not sure how this works)
We have their 2nd round pick from the Sanguinetti trade. It belonged to the Canes.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
How amazing would it be if Redden was dumped in the minors and then we sign Jagr to like a 1 year 1 mil deal?

I doubt it happens but it's nice to think about haha
He re-signed for 1 more year with Avangard Omsk of the KHL.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:48 PM
pilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Got to agree. Redden is done. There's no way the Rangers can make it work apart from trading Rozsival and not bringing back a lot of salary. I'm not a great big fan of Rosy's but he at least is still a legit top 4 and we're going to need him. The other thing is your lineup is actually 22 because Brashear's not going to play for us even if his salary is going to count. Dumping Redden solves all problems with the least amount of fuss--gives us space for Staal--may even allow enough space for a McDonagh to make the team if he's ready.
This whole thread is driving me nuts so i had to post on it. i just dont see how everyone thinks dumping redden will solve all of the rangers problems or make them any better. Sure redden is overpaid, everyone will agree on that. but he is still the second or third best d-man on this team. he is in the top 5 plus-minus on the entire team and 2nd to Staal for d-men. redden was never suppose to be a high scoring d-man, his best attribute is making that one pass to get out of the deffensive zone. as a d-man your not there to put up big points (although when u sign for 6.5mil u should get a few), but he is still an elite deffender even though he is playing well below expectations. if rangers unload redden they better bring in a top 4 deffensman or they will be down to only staal. i dont think delzotto and his -20 rating need to be on the ice in crucial times of the game. I dont know if ive ever seen it before but is there anyway a team could ask a player to renegotiate his contract in order to be prevented from being sent to the minors? sounds crazy but a nhl vet would probably rather take a pay cut then goto the minors as a cap casualty.

pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:53 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsner View Post
This whole thread is driving me nuts so i had to post on it. i just dont see how everyone thinks dumping redden will solve all of the rangers problems or make them any better. Sure redden is overpaid, everyone will agree on that. but he is still the second or third best d-man on this team. he is in the top 5 plus-minus on the entire team and 2nd to Staal for d-men. redden was never suppose to be a high scoring d-man, his best attribute is making that one pass to get out of the deffensive zone. as a d-man your not there to put up big points (although when u sign for 6.5mil u should get a few), but he is still an elite deffender even though he is playing well below expectations. if rangers unload redden they better bring in a top 4 deffensman or they will be down to only staal. i dont think delzotto and his -20 rating need to be on the ice in crucial times of the game. I dont know if ive ever seen it before but is there anyway a team could ask a player to renegotiate his contract in order to be prevented from being sent to the minors? sounds crazy but a nhl vet would probably rather take a pay cut then goto the minors as a cap casualty.
The Rangers will definitely be better without that albatross in the lineup. And it does solve all their problems. If you had been listening or reading the whole thread, or any threads for that matter, you'd realize that it is all but inevitable that we need to remove his cap hit (and thus him) to ice a formidable lineup this year (and be in compliance with the rules).

Secondly, he is not the third best defenseman on this team. That's ridiculous. Staal is far and beyond above every other d man we have, as far as overall goes. Then you have Rozsival, MDZ, Girardi who are all better than Redden. Yes, even MDZ who's had all but 80~ games of NHL experience. I'd venture to say even Eminger is a step above Redden.

Redden, an elite defender? Ha! Never thought I'd hear those words.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:08 PM
pilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
The Rangers will definitely be better without that albatross in the lineup. And it does solve all their problems. If you had been listening or reading the whole thread, or any threads for that matter, you'd realize that it is all but inevitable that we need to remove his cap hit (and thus him) to ice a formidable lineup this year (and be in compliance with the rules).

Secondly, he is not the third best defenseman on this team. That's ridiculous. Staal is far and beyond above every other d man we have, as far as overall goes. Then you have Rozsival, MDZ, Girardi who are all better than Redden. Yes, even MDZ who's had all but 80~ games of NHL experience. I'd venture to say even Eminger is a step above Redden.

Redden, an elite defender? Ha! Never thought I'd hear those words.
haha i knew id get it for that one. but seriously reddens play hasnt changed that much through out his career. hes never been a flashy player with big hits or hilight reel goals just a solid deffender. his play has dropped of ill agree but not too the point of not being an nhl caliber player. I know delzotto is only a rookie but i cant believe that ppl would think he is as good as redden. he is -20. thats probably the most important stat as a dman. Sather needs to give his head a shake and quit offering out huge lengthy contracts. If u were in reddens shoes would you have said no to the contract. his play was sliding when he went into free agency which is why ottawa let him walk. im just sayin cant blame him for taking it. just like drury who is suppose to be a top scorer on the team for 7mil. 7 per season for 32pts and a -10 rating? i dont know whos more overpaid. But id have to say drury, being that his job is to put the puck in the net.

Old
07-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Where is this pass that gets us out of our own end then? I haven't seen it in the three years he's been on this squad.

Like it or not salary cap is a part of the game now. It's no longer... "Redden is an NHL calibre defenseman, so he's on the roster". He is... and I doubt most would argue that (although I think a case could be made at times), but his skill + what he makes = not viable in the NHL. What he DOES do on the ice, can be replaced and for substantially less cash.

That's where he and his contract reside and unless he turns into Bobby Orr or Scott Stevens by Sept. he's probably (hopefully) gone.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:44 PM
TheHotRock

i really wish i was as confident as most of you that redden to hartford is a foregone conclusion.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:07 PM
pilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Where is this pass that gets us out of our own end then? I haven't seen it in the three years he's been on this squad.

Like it or not salary cap is a part of the game now. It's no longer... "Redden is an NHL calibre defenseman, so he's on the roster". He is... and I doubt most would argue that (although I think a case could be made at times), but his skill + what he makes = not viable in the NHL. What he DOES do on the ice, can be replaced and for substantially less cash.

That's where he and his contract reside and unless he turns into Bobby Orr or Scott Stevens by Sept. he's probably (hopefully) gone.
i agree with you in terms of salary cap. things have changed and teams need to be managed according to their cap and what their needs are. i just think a lot of posters get carried away talking like he is the worst d-man in the league. he may be one of the most overpaid but in no way is he a bad player. big difference between being a bad player and being an overpaid player. Sather has tried on several occasions to build his team around big name high priced free agents and it just doesnt seem to ever work out. I personally dont think the Frolov signing is the answer either for the same reason. who knows maybe itll work out and he will put up 70pts? i just dont think so.

Old
07-31-2010, 02:46 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i really wish i was as confident as most of you that redden to hartford is a foregone conclusion.
Do you honestly see a legitimate way of characterizing this team's lineup, legally, without doing so?

They ARE re-signing Staal. Unless someone comes along and offers him $6M, we can't match, we take the picks and pick up a veteran d-man for really cheap, we cannot afford to have Wade Redden on the roster.

What is the likelihood of that happening? 1 in 99999?

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
i agree with you in terms of salary cap. things have changed and teams need to be managed according to their cap and what their needs are. i just think a lot of posters get carried away talking like he is the worst d-man in the league. he may be one of the most overpaid but in no way is he a bad player. big difference between being a bad player and being an overpaid player. Sather has tried on several occasions to build his team around big name high priced free agents and it just doesnt seem to ever work out. I personally dont think the Frolov signing is the answer either for the same reason. who knows maybe itll work out and he will put up 70pts? i just dont think so.
Frolov may not be THE answer... but we can use goals ANY way we can get them. He is what he is... a 1 yr contract. IF it works out and we resign him great... if not... he's not blocking any kids.

Redden is in a tougher spot... he may not be a "bad" d-man but he has what is widely regarded as "THE WORST CONTRACT IN THE NHL" At this point it looks like the NYR are going to move on from having that dubious honor a part of their 2010-11 squad.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 05:16 PM
msv957

Quote:
I agree... Redden is still is a quality NHL defenseman.. Not ELITE in which his salary demands.. He is one of the best 6 NHL defenseman on this roster... I believe Torts believes this also but Redden's cap hit it the BIG ISSUE here... Something has to be done as the Rangers are over the cap with Redden's salary cap hit.. Waiving Redden seems the most logical...

He never was a flashy defenseman even in his prime.. He made a few All Star appearance and was very good... He just made the simple plays that no one really noticed.

He just has to go so this team can get under the salary cap... If there was no cap... I believe Redden would be on this team and would not be bashed as much.....

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 05:38 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
For christ's sake can someone please change the thread title to -"Will Redden be waived..." I know it says speculation, but everytime I come here I see that damn title and and get a woody....then I read the green speculation and its like waking up next to some animal u took home from the bar... just sayin

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:43 PM
free0717

[QUOTE=msv957;27185037] Redden is still is a quality NHL defenseman.. Not ELITE in which his salary demands.. He is one of the best 6 NHL defenseman on this roster...

What have you been smokin. Wade Redden is an Overpaid, Lazy, Fat Cat who does not bring his A game every nite. Even when he brings his A Game, he is soft.

There are at least 6 Defenseman on the Rangers Roster who are better than Redden. Redden has just lost it. Waive him for 4 years until his contract is up.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Xtranova

pilsner = Wade Redden's hfboard account

Nah, I'm just messin' around. However, he is a _decent_ defender at the moment. Soft, but decent enough. However the cap is the rules and the cap limit is king. So at that contract, decent will not be enough. Sorry Wade!

My two cents

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
beastly115

Quote:
You're right, dumping Redden won't magically solve all of this team's problems. But dumping Redden does free up 6.5M which can be used better elsewhere. And it does solve one major problem this season- getting us under the cap once Staal signs.

And Redden is NOT the 2nd or 3rd best d-man on the team. He's still NHL quality but he's more of a 5-6 guy. We can't have a guy eating 6.5M of cap playing on the 3rd pairing. Redden's demotion is less indicative of his quality as an NHL player and more of a casualty of the new cap era.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

just to give added perspective to the relative worth of the WADE

according to the stats from the NHL, measuring ice time

Staal was #1 at 23:07
Girardi was #2
Rozsival was #3
Gabork, Prospal, Dubinsky and Callahan were 4-7
Del Zotto was #8
Higgins and Drury were 9 and 10

Wade Redden was #11 on the team at 17:31 per game

Redden was #5 on defense in ice time ahead of Gilroy who came fresh from the NCAA

fyi Girloy was on the ice an average of 16:18 good for #13 on the team.

So based on ice time Wade Redden is the #5 dman, that is a third pairing guy.

In wade's defense I will say that on numerous occasions he took hits in order to make a smart pass out of the zone, but thats his job. It's not Wade's fault that Sather gave him a moronic contract.

So lets be very clear about this. The stats say Redden was the #5 dman on the team in terms of ice time. His contract is an albatross, much like Drury's is.

The main difference I can see is that Chris' contract will be completed at the end of next year for 2 more years total, while Wade's goes on for another 3 years after this year for 4 more years total.

2 years of Drury
4 years of the WADE

the sad thing is that Rozi is most likely the guy pegged to get marching orders.

Lets hope Mr Dolan decides to burn his money on Redden's contract in the AHL. The way he spent his money on the Knicks gives me hope that after Staal is locked up long term, then NY can look to make a trade for a dman or to sign a reasonable contract for a serviceable dman. This would give a guy like McDonaugh another season to develop.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote