HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2010'-2011' Rangers scoring 260+ goals?!

Old
08-01-2010, 01:01 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
The 2010'-2011' Rangers scoring 260+ goals?!

From the main guys these are my guesses. I tried to make safe guesses for everyone to give an idea of realistically where everyone will be.

Frolov (30) - Christensen (12) - Gaborik (48)
Dubinsky (26) - Anisimov (18) - MZA (16)
Avery(9)/Prospal(14) - Drury (18)/Stepan (9) - Callahan (22)
Prust (4) - Boyle (4) - Boogaard (0)

Staal (8) - Girardi (7)
McDonagh (3) - Rozsival (8)
Gilroy (3) - MDZ (9)

Eminger (2)
Add in like 4 goals from random call ups covering injuries and you're looking at a team that will net about 264 goals. By pure coincidence that matches the amount of offense the Blackhawks produced last year.

I know these players and have my expectations, but am I being overly optimistic? Is it really that hard to believe that each of these players cant score my predicted amount of goals? I don't think I made any crazy predictions. The most questionable is MZA, and even if he busts completely this is still a strong offensive team on paper in my mind.

Serious question, who did I overrate in terms of their production next season?

And how many goals are we gonna score next year by your count?

Edit: with MDZ added its even more.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 08-01-2010 at 01:14 AM.
KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:07 AM
tomobson

vCash: 500
no mdz?

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:08 AM
darko

Only 4 teams scored more than 260 goals last season - Hawks, Sharks, Canucks and Caps. No one in Atlantic scored more than 260.

I think we should be a bit better than last year what with addition of Frolov plus young guys getting better. 230-240 is somewhere where we end up. 260+ is a pipe dream.

We went through this stage last year. I remember one poster saying we could be a top-5 offense (on Debbies board they are still giving us **** about that).

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:23 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Basically what I'm saying is we're going to have a healthy offense.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

neeeever gonna happen.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:12 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I am optimistic. 260 might be too much but 240 would have been good enough for 3rd in the Eastern Conference last season and 245 would have been good for 6th in the league.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:05 AM
NYR2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
From the main guys these are my guesses. I tried to make safe guesses for everyone to give an idea of realistically where everyone will be.

Frolov (30) - Christensen (12) - Gaborik (48)
Dubinsky (26) - Anisimov (18) - MZA (16)
Avery(9)/Prospal(14) - Drury (18)/Stepan (9) - Callahan (22)

Staal (8) - Girardi (7)
McDonagh (3) - Rozsival (8)
Gilroy (3) - MDZ (9)

Eminger (2)
Add in like 4 goals from random call ups covering injuries and you're looking at a team that will net about 264 goals. By pure coincidence that matches the amount of offense the Blackhawks produced last year.

I know these players and have my expectations, but am I being overly optimistic? Is it really that hard to believe that each of these players cant score my predicted amount of goals? I don't think I made any crazy predictions. The most questionable is MZA, and even if he busts completely this is still a strong offensive team on paper in my mind.

rosy is not netting 8

and i dont think gabby or duby is gonna end up with that many goals

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:51 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Thats actually not TOO lofty. I few should be lower... but then again with a healthy Gabby you cant rule out something like 53 completely... although I know thats a HUGE "if"... just saying.

Should be a fun year ahead, though

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Your problem is your 3rd line. If Drury and Prospal are not getting PP opportunities, they won't score that many goals. Same goes for Callahan, (to a lesser extent). Last year, Callahan played primarily on the top PP. With Frolov here, he's not likely to get that opportunity. You've also added Stepan with no guarantee he sniffs the NHL roster this year.

This team score 216 goals last year. The addition of Frolov, combined with the development of Dubinsky and Anisimov could lead to a jump to around 230, if we see Frolov perform like a 1st liner.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:55 AM
CrossCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

Frolov (22) - Christensen (12) - Gaborik (40)
Dubinsky (26) - Anisimov (18) - MZA (13)
Avery(9)/Prospal(14) - Drury (11)/Stepan (5) - Callahan (17)

Staal (8) - Girardi (7)
McDonagh (3) - Rozsival (3)
Gilroy (3) - MDZ (9)

Eminger (0)

These are more realistics goals total...

More like 235 I guess

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:07 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

take last years number and add @ 20 to it

that your figure.

frolov and mza will both be good for the additional 20

235 is the number

still not nearly enough scoring to be anything more than a last seed.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:34 AM
UAGoalieGuy

This thread and comments made by some of the posters eerily remind me of posts/comments made before the start of last season.

"The Rangers are going to have a great offense because they are going to have three lines that can score"

"The team has five to six players that can score at least 20 goals"

I'm not knocking anybody and I think this team will be better offensively then last season, but I remember people thinking that Gaborik, Drury, Dubinsky, Callahan, Higgins, and Kotalik would score over 20 goals last year. But clearly:

Frolov >> Higgins/Kotalik

I think Frolov is going to have a solid year. He will get tons of ice time (Both even strength and on the PP) and will be playing with Gaborik, more then likely. Here are my predictions:

Gaborik: 43
Frolov: 31
Prospal: 12
Dubinsky: 21
Callahan: 18
Christiansen: 12
Anisimov: 16
Drury: 15
Avery: 10
MZA: 10
Boyle: 4
Prust: 5
Boogard: 1 (Hey he's gotta score sometime, right? lol)
MDZ: 10
Roszival: 7
Girardi: 5
Staal: 8
McD: 3
Eminger: 1
Gilroy: 4

Total: 236

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Teams like Atlanta, Toronto, Buffalo, LA have scored a lot of goals and still missed the playoffs in recent years.

Let's not get too excited about a potential number that is only one part of success.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:49 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
This thread and comments made by some of the posters eerily remind me of posts/comments made before the start of last season.

"The Rangers are going to have a great offense because they are going to have three lines that can score"

"The team has five to six players that can score at least 20 goals"

I'm not knocking anybody and I think this team will be better offensively then last season, but I remember people thinking that Gaborik, Drury, Dubinsky, Callahan, Higgins, and Kotalik would score over 20 goals last year. But clearly:

Frolov >> Higgins/Kotalik

I think Frolov is going to have a solid year. He will get tons of ice time (Both even strength and on the PP) and will be playing with Gaborik, more then likely. Here are my predictions:

Total: 236

This does make sense... frolov is no doubt a more accomplished and better NHL player that Higgins/Kotalik.... a motivated Frolov should get 25-35 goals especially if he is on the the first PP and etc... This really was a great signing by Sather

Gabby 42
Frolov 28
Dubinsky 23
Prospal 18
Drury 22
Callahan 21
EC 17
Anisimov 11
Avery 13
MZA- I have no idea!!
Boogard- 1 Yeah.. Gotta give the big guy a bone

There is talent on this team.... no doubt....

**not sure on the defense with goals*** Hard to predict...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:32 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
We were going to have 6 or 7 20+ goal scorers last season, too, remember? Yeah...

Guys will have down years. Not everyone will play to or exceed expectations. That's just how it works. We won't sniff 260 goals.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:33 AM
DutchShamrock

Without true playmaking pivots you are asking 9 individuals to create offense on their own for the most part or through broken plays. And we're not talking about the most creative of players outside of a few. Without a seasoned offensive defenseman who can quaterback play the powerplay and transition the puck we will have trouble getting plays off the ground. I still think 200 goals is the ballpark and that is assuming Gaborik stays healthy for a majority of the season.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:42 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Without true playmaking pivots you are asking 9 individuals to create offense on their own for the most part or through broken plays. And we're not talking about the most creative of players outside of a few. Without a seasoned offensive defenseman who can quaterback play the powerplay and transition the puck we will have trouble getting plays off the ground. I still think 200 goals is the ballpark and that is assuming Gaborik stays healthy for a majority of the season.
The Rangers scred 222 last season with out any of the above listed. They added a better offensive player in Frolov and MDZ has one full season under his belt. They will get more then 200 goals.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:03 AM
eco's bones

We have a few guys whose numbers should go up--they tend to be younger still developing players--MDZ, Anisimov, Dubinsky. Guys like Callahan, Avery, Girardi have plateaued. Older players like Prospal, Drury, Roszival are not likely to have better stats--they're more likely to be worse.

As D. Shamrock aptly points out the team lacks playmakers to the point where some of our forwards--Callahan, Drury would rather take low percentage shots than pass the puck.

I expect we may score a bit more than last year but that's the optimist in me. He tends to try to keep a low profile on all things New York Rangers. Two reasons why I think we may score a few more is the addition of Frolov and I expect some improvement from MDZ. Anisimov is finding himself and Dubi has been diversifying his game since he got here 3 years ago. If any--these are the guys whose numbers will go up.

I'm afraid Drury's not going to be much better--might even be worse. Rozsival is no longer the key pointman on the pwp. 40 points or so was the best he ever did. Nothing spectacular for sure. I'm okay if he can hold steady on last years numbers. Prospal--good year--not so good year. He's getting on and he faded last year. I'm not very confident he's going to be in the 50's again. A guy like Christensen--who knows.

Stepan is the future playmaking centerman. Keeping in mind he only scored 12 goals in 41 WCHA games I don't see him potting a lot of goals for the next few years. It doesn't seem to be what he does best. He has eyes in the back of his head to make plays and opponents don't see coming. Lining him up with natural goalscorers is the way to go.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:08 AM
DrZoidberg

Rozsival needs to shoot the puck.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:33 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

If this team gets 260+ goals with Hank in net we challenge to win the division!
Anyone really see that happening? Didn't think so.

We have one natural/elite goal scorer, (Gaborik) three guys that are/were consistent 20 goal guys, (Frolov, Drury, & Prospal). Frolov can be counted on for 25 or so, Drury is trending down and without consistent PP time or continued misuse he is no longer a 20g guy. Prospal is 35 slowing down and due for a off year by his track record

I expect 20+ out of Dubinsky. Callahan should be around 20 if he keeps his PP time.

I see 3 legit 20+ goal guys, Gaborik 35-45, Frolov 25-30,Dubinsky 20-25. And a whole bunch of 5-10 or 10-20 guys. We get minimal offense created from the D.

I would be thrilled if this team can reach 230+ goals let alone 260+, just not sure where all that offense comes from. IMO we will be closer to 220.

N9Y4R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Last year we were supposed to of scored 300 + goals with the additions of Higgins and Kotalik.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:43 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Rangers scored 222 last season.
Sure didn't feel like that many to me lol.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Gaborik: 46
Frolov: 28
Prospal: 18
Dubinsky: 23
Callahan: 17
Christensen: 11
Drury: 13
Boogard: 1
Roszival: 6
McD: 2
Eminger: 3

Comes to around 240. Cant see them making it to 260. Its possible but unlikely.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 09:56 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Agreed with everyone else generally. 230-240 goals should be easy to obtain this year barring no major injuries. But 260 is quite a stretch.

There doesn't seem to be too much of a difference between the two, but there is.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:04 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
Gaborik: 46
Frolov: 28
Prospal: 18
Dubinsky: 23
Callahan: 17
Christensen: 11
Drury: 13
Boogard: 1
Roszival: 6
McD: 2
Eminger: 3

Comes to around 240. Cant see them making it to 260. Its possible but unlikely.
I think this is closer to reality but somewhere in there we will lose about 5 goals. I am thinking more like 235 goals. Hopefully, we only give up about 215 goals. That would be a +20 goal differential and enough to get us in the playoffs.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote