HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Predicting the future

Old
07-30-2010, 02:44 PM
cheerupmurray

vCash: 500
Predicting the future

How well/bad do you think the new swedes in NHL/AHL will do next year? What players do you think will play some in NHL? Which ones will be positive/negative surprises? How many points do you think each player will put up?

New swedes in NA

Fredrik Pettersson
Henrik Karlsson
Johan Fransson
Jonas Andersson
Linus Klasen
Jacob Josefsson
Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson
Mattias Tedenby
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Johan Harju
Niklas Persson
Marcus Johansson
Erik Gustafsson
Alexander Urbom
Linus Omark
Andreas Enqvist
David Ullström
Joakim Andersson
Anton Gustafsson
Eddie Läck
Anders Lindbäck
Gustaf Wesslau
Mattias Modig

I probably forgot someone, theres loads of new swedes. The majority will probably just play in AHL is my guess.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:18 PM
sg58

Fredrik Pettersson
Henrik Karlsson
Johan Fransson
Jonas Andersson
Linus Klasen

Jacob Josefsson
Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson
Mattias Tedenby
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Johan Harju
Niklas Persson

Marcus Johansson
Erik Gustafsson
Alexander Urbom
Linus Omark
Andreas Enqvist
David Ullström
Joakim Andersson
Anton Gustafsson
Eddie Läck
Anders Lindbäck
Gustaf Wesslau
Mattias Modig

Bold for good chances, ithalics for some chance and the rest will have to wait for a while, unless there are a lot of injuries.

Underlined the three I think will have the biggest impact. Josefsson because he might get a shot to play with some great players, Johansson 'cause if he makes the team, it's a great offensive team surrounding him front and back, and Oliver Ekman because he is, well, he's pretty good.

Edit: Didn't work so well when the whole quote was in ithalics.

Last edited by sg58: 07-30-2010 at 04:06 PM.
sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Tomas W

I really hope that Jonas Andersson gets a chance to show what he can do.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:39 PM
cheerupmurray

I think Erik Gustafsson might be a big surprise. The homer in me hopes that Andreas Enqvist do well.

Old
07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Hybbe

Fredrik Pettersson Don't think he'll make it to the big league.
Henrik Karlsson Not sure. What kind of goalie depth does the Flames have? Oh, Toskala behind Kipper - I think he'll get a few starts. Hah.
Johan Fransson Unlikely.
Jonas Andersson Has a good chance of making the team and staying there. Crystal ball says he'll get around 40 points.
Linus Klasen Not sure, feels like it could go either way for Klasen really.
Jacob Josefsson Will impress people in NJ and make it out of camp. He'll be eased in playing few minutes early on in their bottom 6, but I think he'll progress quickly and eat more minutes just a few months in.
Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson I have a feeling that Magnus will be a calder candidate, look for him to make a big splash. 40-60 points depending on how much ice time he'll get early on in the season.
Mattias Tedenby He won't make the team from the get go, he'll probably be one of the first to get called up though.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson Will dazzle everyone who will be watching Phoenix games next season. I think he'll run the PP with Yandle and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with more than 40 pts.
Johan Harju Hasn't done anything to make me believe that he'll crack tampa's lineup next season, but we'll see.
Niklas Persson Should be able to make their bottom six and stay there throughout the season without impressing people too much. I think he'll get 20 pts and have a solid season.
Marcus Johansson He's been opening a lot of eyes in DC from what I've heard. I think he'll end up playing a lot, whether it'll be on the third line or the second, he'll put up a solid season playing with a lot of great players on a team that's not deep at center. I'd say he'll get around 40 pts and improve further defensively.
Erik Gustafsson Very unlikely.
Alexander Urbom They like Alex's chances in NJ. They've got a lot of depth now on their blueline though, but I think he could be a mainstay.
Linus Omark Sort of like Klasen; it could go either way for Omark. I think he's got a slightly better chance though and if he's given the chance, he could put up something like 50 pts.
Andreas Enqvist Not very likely.
David Ullström Not very likely.
Joakim Andersson ...
Anton Gustafsson ...
Eddie Läck ...
Anders Lindbäck ...
Gustaf Wesslau ...
Mattias Modig ...

Am I being too optimistic?

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 07:34 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybbe View Post

Am I being too optimistic?
Probably
Will be fun to see how things turn out.

I think a couple of players went over to early. SEL is probably a better league to develop in than AHL for a skater. For the goalies it makes more sense to take a season in AHL getting used to the smaller rinksize.

Old
07-30-2010, 07:55 PM
johnny_rudeboy

MPJ and OEL will make their teams full time and Jonas Andersson stand a good chance as well.
Marcus Johansson and Alexander Urbom will be playing part time in the NHL and the rest in the AHL but they will get their chances. The rest I am not so sure about. Henrik Karlsson perhaps will get a few games (10-15) as it looks as if he is signed as a back up.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:39 PM
afrobomber11

regarding the jersey pair, they are in a tough spot, since the third line would consist of clarkson, zubrus, and rolston, if either make it, injury dependant to move up from a 4th line spot

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Captain Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
regarding the jersey pair, they are in a tough spot, since the third line would consist of clarkson, zubrus, and rolston, if either make it, injury dependant to move up from a 4th line spot
Assuming Kovy will be a devil. Zubrus or Rolston will be on the way out because of cap issues

Captain Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:13 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
I really hope that Jonas Andersson gets a chance to show what he can do.
He is expected to make the roster out of camp, but expectations are low considering how many players are in front of him. If he cracks 30 points, I'll be impressed.

Kläsen was signed with the knowledge that he would start out in the minors. I think he has a chance at making the team out of camp next year if he sees fit to stick around, not unlike Antti Pihlstrom (although with significantly more skill).

I have no clue what's going to happen with Lindbäck. We're supposedly in the market for a backup goaltender, which means at least one goaltender is getting traded, if not two, because we would have seven goaltenders under contract with another signing.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:04 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I have no clue what's going to happen with Lindbäck. We're supposedly in the market for a backup goaltender, which means at least one goaltender is getting traded, if not two, because we would have seven goaltenders under contract with another signing.
Dekanich/Rinne in the NHL, Pickard/Lindbäck in the minors, Engren back to Europe. Who else is there?

Old
07-31-2010, 06:28 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Dekanich/Rinne in the NHL, Pickard/Lindbäck in the minors, Engren back to Europe. Who else is there?
Jeremy Smith, who was one of the best goaltenders in the ECHL last year. But like I said, we're looking at signing a veteran for the NHL (supposedly Jose Theodore) to backup Rinne, which makes the logjam even worse.

I have a gut feeling that Smith will get traded, and if we do sign a veteran goalie, Dekanich will be dealt as well, leaving us with Rinne/Veteran, Pickard/Lindbäck, and then Engren in the ECHL, likely getting higher-level work if injuries mount.

I suppose we could, like you said, send him back to Europe for one more year to try to sort our goaltender situation out, but the organization is pretty high on him and I'm inclined to think they want him here ASAP.

Old
07-31-2010, 07:19 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Jeremy Smith, who was one of the best goaltenders in the ECHL last year. But like I said, we're looking at signing a veteran for the NHL (supposedly Jose Theodore) to backup Rinne, which makes the logjam even worse.

I have a gut feeling that Smith will get traded, and if we do sign a veteran goalie, Dekanich will be dealt as well, leaving us with Rinne/Veteran, Pickard/Lindbäck, and then Engren in the ECHL, likely getting higher-level work if injuries mount.

I suppose we could, like you said, send him back to Europe for one more year to try to sort our goaltender situation out, but the organization is pretty high on him and I'm inclined to think they want him here ASAP.
They have a deal with Engren to play for TPS in Finland, unless they can fit him in Milwaukee. With all due respect, I don't think the trade market is that big for Dekanich at this point, an they're better off having him start 20 behind Rinne. Don't see Theo as a fit there at all.

Old
07-31-2010, 11:32 AM
afrobomber11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zach View Post
Assuming Kovy will be a devil. Zubrus or Rolston will be on the way out because of cap issues
that is fair enough, i like rolston, he can be an extremely good player on the pk, too bad he isnt warrenting the 5 mil hes getting paid

good coup for a team with less forward depth and cap space (maybe islanders if the price is right and willing to deal with nj?)

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:09 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
They have a deal with Engren to play for TPS in Finland, unless they can fit him in Milwaukee. With all due respect, I don't think the trade market is that big for Dekanich at this point, an they're better off having him start 20 behind Rinne. Don't see Theo as a fit there at all.
That's my thought as well, but Poile keeps talking about a veteran backup, which makes me believe he's willing to trade Dekanich for next to nothing to fit a veteran backup into the picture.

I wonder if he finally lost what was left of his mind after the team blew Game 5...

Old
08-01-2010, 08:51 AM
MrJonas

I feel that OEL will fare best this season. That being said, I'm really hoping more for guys like Johansson or MPS to make an impact rather than him. D-wise from a Swedish perspective, things already look very good in the future, so I'm more interested in seeing if any forward can surprise us and replicate the "rate of promise" of an OEL, Karlsson, or Hedman (or Larsson ) .

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote