HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Markstrom -> next Lundqvist?

Old
07-31-2010, 06:22 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Markstrom -> next Lundqvist?

Okay Markstrom is maybe one of the best prospect goalie in NHL right now. In sweden some compare him to Lundqvist in his style of play, but Markstrom is even bigger and stronger, so when can we expect to see him with the Cats jersey?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:45 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Okay Markstrom is maybe one of the best prospect goalie in NHL right now. In sweden some compare him to Lundqvist in his style of play, but Markstrom is even bigger and stronger, so when can we expect to see him with the Cats jersey?
He will be in camp with the Panthers, possibly get a preseason game in, but I wouldnt expect him until the season after next, unless Vokoun is traded at the deadline. Markstrom should be the #1 going into the 2011-12 season.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 08:26 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Better stats than king Henke at the same age, and Markström also played on a weaker team. He has carried Brynäs for two years now and is the best goalie prospect in the world atm.

I would give him a shot this season, but looks like he will play in Rochester a season. And like PB said, hopefully he will get a chance when or if Vokoun is dealt at the deadline. IMO he is NHL ready, and I don't agree with the point that people say that he need to adjust to the NA style. To me thats ********, and he is ready. I've seen him play alot in the SEL, in the worlds third best league (after NHL and KHL).

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Well, he's certainly hyped to be the next lunqvist in goal. That's for sure.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
A ton of our future is practically riding on this kid to be a stud in the NHL. Whatever we need to do to have the best chance of that happening, we need to do it. Hopefully a year in Rochester helps that process.

Again, going back to that rookie camp, I would love if he owns (along with our other rookies of course) those two games against the Nashville Predator's rookies.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
yes he's expected to be the next big thing but please lets not jinx it ; )

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:46 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
A ton of our future is practically riding on this kid to be a stud in the NHL. Whatever we need to do to have the best chance of that happening, we need to do it. Hopefully a year in Rochester helps that process.

Again, going back to that rookie camp, I would love if he owns (along with our other rookies of course) those two games against the Nashville Predator's rookies.

-ghoste
That is why I wouldnt be against us drafting Larsson in the next draft, if we were to pick that high. A young, talented defense in front of a elite goaltending prospect is a very good way to build a team.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 07:11 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
That is why I wouldnt be against us drafting Larsson in the next draft, if we were to pick that high. A young, talented defense in front of a elite goaltending prospect is a very good way to build a team.
i really want larsson as well. but what are we going to do if kulikov larsson and gudbranson and even markstrom make the big bucks? our forward core is going to look like crap.

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:40 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
i really want larsson as well. but what are we going to do if kulikov larsson and gudbranson and even markstrom make the big bucks? our forward core is going to look like crap.
Trade for offense...

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Robert Theodorson

Yes. There is no evidence to prove otherwise.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:24 PM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Yes. There is no evidence to prove otherwise.
Umm... "sure thing" prospects have busted. There's no evidence to prove anything. He projects out to be better based on his career, but nothing can be proven until he's in his prime and it does or doesn't compare for Lundqvist's...

Old
07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
1-2 years from now. He should be better than Lundqvist we hope. We are pretty stacked with goalie prospects right now which is awesome for any team. Between him Salak and Plante we are more than ready when Vokoun gets traded later this season.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
1-2 years from now. He should be better than Lundqvist we hope. We are pretty stacked with goalie prospects right now which is awesome for any team. Between him Salak and Plante we are more than ready when Vokoun gets traded later this season.
Hasn't Cheverie moved up on peoples' lists since he was a Hobey Baker finalist? Or is it that the NCAA isn't exactly Pro Hockey? Either way, yeah, we seem to be set in goalie depth. But i'm definitely excited to see how Cheverie plays this year.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:34 PM
CanadianPantherFan

I like how this thread is marked SPECULATION: Fact to me a longgg time ago.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Gudbranson44

we're all hoping for it obviously, but remember we're the panthers and we've seen many of our top prospects end up as busts before, so we dont like to talk about this with the risk of jinxing it....

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:00 AM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Trade for offense...
who would we trade of the Dmen?

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 05:28 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Yup. It's guaranteed that one of them will become a top 3 goalie.

We're as ready as you can get with prospects, but don't be surprised if they don't quite fill Vokoun's shoes when he leaves. He'll be leaving pretty big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
who would we trade of the Dmen?
Well if they can all demand huge paydays, the one whose contract we could least handle. The one who gets us the best return in relation to the cap relief we'd get from him and what he'd contribute to the team.

It's a pretty good problem to have, man.

Old
08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
If Markstrom became as good as Vokoun, i'd be very happy. To know that you have a consistent top ten NHL goalie for the next 15 years is a position of luxury.

I don't think Markstrom will bust, but when it comes to Goaltenders you never know. You can project their tools and skills to the NHL level, but its almost impossible to project their actual production because its such an unreliable position.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I love this thread! Good thing we're not getting ahead of ourselves by comparing our 20 year old prospect who has never played a single NHL game to one of the best goaltenders in the world! We wouldn't want to exacerbate his young career by placing too heavy a burden on his shoulders already!

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Larsson is NHL ready IMO. This kid is the best young swedish player right now. If you can pick high next season, i suggest to pick him, but i think he will very very high at next draft, maybe #1.

Old
08-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I love this thread! Good thing we're not getting ahead of ourselves by comparing our 20 year old prospect who has never played a single NHL game to one of the best goaltenders in the world! We wouldn't want to exacerbate his young career by placing too heavy a burden on his shoulders already!
It's just speculation man.

Old
08-01-2010, 11:39 AM
joe89

Markström is earlier in his progress than Lundqvist was, but that doesn't mean he is sure to be better at age 22, 25 or 30. He is already an exceptional goalie but every player has their own growth curve. Typically Swedes are known as latebloomers although the new generation of players seem to break into that logic a bit. They are very comparable however and little indicates that he wouldn't take the step soon. If you are the best goaltender in SEL and is still getting better each day your chances are high.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Markström is earlier in his progress than Lundqvist was, but that doesn't mean he is sure to be better at age 22, 25 or 30. He is already an exceptional goalie but every player has their own growth curve. Typically Swedes are known as latebloomers although the new generation of players seem to break into that logic a bit. They are very comparable however and little indicates that he wouldn't take the step soon. If you are the best goaltender in SEL and is still getting better each day your chances are high.
Do you know when Larsson's contract for Skelleftea runs out? Hopefully after next season if we pick him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Not sure how they're not comparable, Clint. I mean, they're paths are very similar...so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Great post, appreciate the insights, and like the line about growth curves. Not sure I've seen it worded that way before.

08-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Do you know when Larsson's contract for Skelleftea runs out? Hopefully after next season if we pick him.
there is a transfer agreement between swedish teams and the nhl now, so it doesnt matter if he's under contract or not. markstrom had just signed an extension with brynas when he signed for us

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote