HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Niemi, a possible choice for the Flyers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2010, 11:14 AM
  #101
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
They have a good top six and a good top four.

Still, their depth has been thrashed.

Why do you think teams like Philadelphia and Chicago did so well in the postseason despite bad goalies? Why do you think Detroit did the same for so many years?

Depth.

I don't think I'll be very shocked when Chicago falls to the bottom tier of the playoff competitors or even into the position of a cusp team looking from the outside in at the worst.
agree. Depth will be a main problem too.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:31 AM
  #102
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,865
vCash: 500
I'm thinking the Hawks will more than likely bury someone. I'm pretty sure Brian Campbell has to realize he's dead man walking.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:57 AM
  #103
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Wait a minute, how did Chicago get Stalberg? Toronto was real high on him and his speed

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:58 AM
  #104
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm thinking the Hawks will more than likely bury someone. I'm pretty sure Brian Campbell has to realize he's dead man walking.
I would think he has a NMC, and no one in their right mind would take his salary.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:00 PM
  #105
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Wait a minute, how did Chicago get Stalberg? Toronto was real high on him and his speed
in the Versteeg trade : http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|TOR|home

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:00 PM
  #106
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Wait a minute, how did Chicago get Stalberg? Toronto was real high on him and his speed
Trade for Versteeg.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:52 PM
  #107
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 100,834
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Looks like a first-round exit to me. But walking away from Niemi doesn't allow enough room for improvement to make losing a possible long-term solution worthwhile. All it means is they can keep Kopecky, sign Turco, choose between Crawford and Toivonen, and maybe add a cheap veteran 5th/6th. That doesn't change their lot all that much text year. Better to manage with what they have now and ride out those bonus penalties.

If they walk:

FORWARDS
Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Kyle Beach ($1.170m) / Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Viktor Stalberg ($0.850m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Jeff Taffe ($0.550m) / Jack Skille ($0.600m)
Igor Makarov ($0.552m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Brian Campbell ($7.142m)
John Scott ($0.512m) / 998K or less UFA
Jassen Cullimore ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Marty Turco ($1.500m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,791,590; BONUSES: $390,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $998,410
Actually if they sign Turco for the rumored 1.5 and let Niemi go they would probably look more like this

#1

Beach makes team over Makarov and Hawks resign Dman Jordan Hendry

FORWARDS
Kyle Beach ($1.170m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Viktor Stalberg ($0.850m) / Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Jack Skille ($0.600m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Jake Dowell ($0.525m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m)
/ Jeff Taffe ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell ($7.142m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m)
Ivan Vishnevskiy ($0.821m) / Jordan Hendry ($0.625m)
John Scott ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Marty Turco ($1.500m) /Hannu Toivonen ($0.550m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $4,157,753

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,460,757; BONUSES: $390,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $329,243

or #2

We sign a vet like Mckee and pair him with Vishnevskiy on our bottom pairing and keep Beach in AHL going with Makarov on roster

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Viktor Stalberg ($0.850m) / Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Igor Makarov ($0.552m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Jack Skille ($0.600m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Jake Dowell ($0.525m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m)
/ Jeff Taffe ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell ($7.142m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m)
Ivan Vishnevskiy ($0.821m) / Jay Mckee ($0.850m)
John Scott ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Marty Turco ($1.500m) /Hannu Toivonen ($0.550m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $4,157,753

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,067,424; BONUSES: $65,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $397,576

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:55 PM
  #108
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,302
vCash: 156
if chicago signs turco for 1.5 million im going to drive a dump truck through holmgren's house

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:04 PM
  #109
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
http://www.csnphilly.com/08/01/10/Tu...325&feedID=704

Check back that link man...

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:03 PM
  #110
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
if chicago signs turco for 1.5 million im going to drive a dump truck through holmgren's house
This is Turco's doing, not Holmgren.

Holmgren threw him up a more than reasonable offer.

That makes me believe that Turco saying that "he'd love to be in Philly" is a lie.

That or he did/said something we didn't like so we pulled the offer this offseason.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:05 PM
  #111
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,302
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is Turco's doing, not Holmgren.

Holmgren threw him up a more than reasonable offer.

That makes me believe that Turco saying that "he'd love to be in Philly" is a lie.

That or he did/said something we didn't like so we pulled the offer this offseason.
or perhaps his agent has convinced him the flyers needed him more than he need the flyers, he asked for too much, and became Biron II

edit: doesnt make me any less pissed at homer. its because of his moves that we can't afford turco.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:11 PM
  #112
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is Turco's doing, not Holmgren.

Holmgren threw him up a more than reasonable offer.

That makes me believe that Turco saying that "he'd love to be in Philly" is a lie.

That or he did/said something we didn't like so we pulled the offer this offseason.
Hasnt Shooter and th eorginizationd denied that an offer was made? I have yet to see Shooter or anyone in his circle confirm an offer was made.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:13 PM
  #113
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
or perhaps his agent has convinced him the flyers needed him more than he need the flyers, he asked for too much, and became Biron II

edit: doesnt make me any less pissed at homer. its because of his moves that we can't afford turco.
They have $2+ million for another goalie in effective cap space. Cote, Bartulis, Boucher. Turco's value has gone down, not up, since he rejected the offer. They could match Chicago's rumored $1.5 million easily. As for the impasse between Turco and the Flyers, I don't know what it is, but it is not lack of space. They could easily make room.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:16 PM
  #114
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,302
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
They have $2+ million for another goalie in effective cap space. Cote, Bartulis, Boucher. Turco's value has gone down, not up, since he rejected the offer. They could match Chicago's rumored $1.5 million easily. As for the impasse between Turco and the Flyers, I don't know what it is, but it is not lack of space. They could easily make room.
i do not want to see bartulis waived. i have a bad feeling he gets grabbed. i'd love to be wrong.

edit: i'd rather have boosh for 975k than leighton at 1.55 as well.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
  #115
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,625
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
If the Hawks wants to deal Niemi, what can the Flyers give in return?
I think the current CBA prevents teams from trading players whos teams accept the players arbitration ruling. Niemi will either be a Hawk for the entire 2010/11 season or a UFA.
But if he could be dealt, Holmgren would convince the Hawks to sign him and then trade him to the Flyers for a 2011 1st and Bobo.
Not that Holmgren has ever competed against himself before in a trade.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:42 PM
  #116
haleks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Actually if they sign Turco for the rumored 1.5 and let Niemi go they would probably look more like this
If Turco sign with Chicago for 1.5million... and refused a 2 million offer from Philly, I don't buy that he really wanted to go to philly.


Last edited by haleks: 08-01-2010 at 06:17 PM.
haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:11 PM
  #117
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Walker for Biron :fingers crossed:

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:27 PM
  #118
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think the current CBA prevents teams from trading players whos teams accept the players arbitration ruling. Niemi will either be a Hawk for the entire 2010/11 season or a UFA.
But if he could be dealt, Holmgren would convince the Hawks to sign him and then trade him to the Flyers for a 2011 1st and Bobo.
Not that Holmgren has ever competed against himself before in a trade.
According to this, they can sign and trade him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nh...ory?id=5426100

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:34 PM
  #119
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,625
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
According to this, they can sign and trade him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nh...ory?id=5426100
hmmm. I wonder if that is correct. I could of sworn you couldnt trade a player that wins a abritration award if you accept it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 05:20 PM
  #120
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
hmmm. I wonder if that is correct. I could of sworn you couldnt trade a player that wins a abritration award if you accept it.
I believe you are right unless I am confusing it with the NBA. CHI would have had to come to an agreement before the arbitration then trade him. I believe that's what STL did with DJ King.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:51 PM
  #121
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I believe you are right unless I am confusing it with the NBA. CHI would have had to come to an agreement before the arbitration then trade him. I believe that's what STL did with DJ King.
I'm fairly certain if you sign a player who won arbitration you need to keep them for the year.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:15 PM
  #122
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Walker for Biron :fingers crossed:

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:57 AM
  #123
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 7,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
I'm fairly certain if you sign a player who won arbitration you need to keep them for the year.
You're confusing that with offer sheets. If a team matches an offer sheet, then the player cant be traded for a year (ie, Hjalmarsson cant be traded).

Niemi could be re-signed then traded immediately after.


Anyways, if Niemi becomes a UFA, and Turco signs in Chicago, where would Niemi go? Nobody is going to offer him $2.75M. I wouldnt be surprised to see him turco himself. Maybe by the time our roster is finalized and we dont have 8 dmen, maybe Niemi will only be asking for $2M or less. I wouldnt be opposed to that, but I'm sure the genius running the show would.

Niemi isnt the greatest option, but Niemi/Leighton is 10x better than Leighton/Boosh.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:36 AM
  #124
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
You're confusing that with offer sheets. If a team matches an offer sheet, then the player cant be traded for a year (ie, Hjalmarsson cant be traded).

Niemi could be re-signed then traded immediately after.


Anyways, if Niemi becomes a UFA, and Turco signs in Chicago, where would Niemi go? Nobody is going to offer him $2.75M. I wouldnt be surprised to see him turco himself. Maybe by the time our roster is finalized and we dont have 8 dmen, maybe Niemi will only be asking for $2M or less. I wouldnt be opposed to that, but I'm sure the genius running the show would.

Niemi isnt the greatest option, but Niemi/Leighton is 10x better than Leighton/Boosh.
i totally agree. I think after the Kovy-saga Niemi will be the next story of the summer.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:27 AM
  #125
04' hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: City of Brotherly Lo
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think the current CBA prevents teams from trading players whos teams accept the players arbitration ruling. Niemi will either be a Hawk for the entire 2010/11 season or a UFA.
But if he could be dealt, Holmgren would convince the Hawks to sign him and then trade him to the Flyers for a 2011 1st and Bobo.
Not that Holmgren has ever competed against himself before in a trade.
Yeah.....the way this guy trades draft picks this isn't too far fetched.....


04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.