HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Teubert

Old
07-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Canuckee

vCash: 500
Colton Teubert

What do you guys think his ceiling is? Why has he dropped down so much... is their a specific reason he could not crack the AHL last year and had to play in the ECHL? Where would you guys rank him in your prospect depth chart?

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Ideally, I think his ceiling is a number 3-4 defenseman who plays in all situations, but is particularly strong as a penalty killer. He would've been a 5-6 defenseman in Manchester last season, so the Kings sent him to Ontario to be the #1 guy there and play 25+ minutes a night. He needs a lot more refinement, that's for sure, but he's been labeled as a project since he was drafted, so that should be no surprise to anyone. Realistically speaking, I think the team would be satisfied if he ended up being a bottom-pairing guy who could clear the front of the net and provide the team with a physical presence. I think the depth chart looks something like this currently (as far as talent level and how NHL-ready these guys are):

Doughty
Johnson
Scuderi
Greene
Drewiske
Harrold
Martinez
Fransson
Voynov
Hickey
Muzzin
Teubert

Despite his low ranking currently, he has a lot more upside than most of the guys ahead of him.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Ideally, I think his ceiling is a number 3-4 defenseman who plays in all situations, but is particularly strong as a penalty killer. He would've been a 5-6 defenseman in Manchester last season, so the Kings sent him to Ontario to be the #1 guy there and play 25+ minutes a night. He needs a lot more refinement, that's for sure, but he's been labeled as a project since he was drafted, so that should be no surprise to anyone. Realistically speaking, I think the team would be satisfied if he ended up being a bottom-pairing guy who could clear the front of the net and provide the team with a physical presence. I think the depth chart looks something like this currently (as far as talent level and how NHL-ready these guys are):

Doughty
Johnson
Scuderi
Greene
Drewiske
Harrold
Martinez
Fransson
Voynov
Hickey
Muzzin
Teubert

Despite his low ranking currently, he has a lot more upside than most of the guys ahead of him.
And what about the off-ice issues that everyone is saying demoted him to the ECHL? any insight on that?

Old
07-30-2010, 04:07 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:

Doughty
Johnson
Scuderi
Greene
Drewiske
Harrold
Martinez
Fransson
Voynov
Hickey
Muzzin
Teubert

I think Martinez is under Voinov, Fransson, Hickey.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:17 PM
eleventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
And what about the off-ice issues that everyone is saying demoted him to the ECHL? any insight on that?
What "off-ice issues", and who is "everyone"?

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:19 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
I think Martinez is under Voinov, Fransson, Hickey.
He will be soon, but in terms of NHL readiness, Martinez has seen the big ice, while the others have not.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:24 PM
jimmy1100

Yeah, I'm not familiar with any off-ice issues. As far as I know, he was in the ECHL so that he'd get ice time. Any issues with Teubert thus far have been on-ice develpoment (i.e. not coming along as quickly as hoped).

Wasn't he the captain in Ontario this year?

Anyway, I don't know why people are so down on him. He was supposed to be 2-3 years away when we drafted him. One more year in Junior, then last season in Ontario. Should be a top-4 with Manchester this year and we'll see how he's developed come training camp.

I think a lot of people have more negative views about a few prospects than necessary.

Like Moller. One month he's untouchable, the next he's too small to make it big time, but has a lot of heart. When did that change? Yeah, last I remember in the NHL he got LAID OUT at the end of a game. But he popped right back up as well.

Does anyone have any REAL reasons why Teubert and Moller have started being considered the expendable prospects?

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:25 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Yeah, I'm not familiar with any off-ice issues.
Pretty sure people are just referring to the fat man popcorn incident.

Old
07-30-2010, 04:28 PM
jimmy1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Pretty sure people are just referring to the fat man popcorn incident.
Ha! Please enlighten me...

EDIT: God **** this site is indexed quickly. I just googled 'Colton Teubert fat man popcorn' and it found your reply.

EDIT #2: Found the comment...thanks.

Last edited by jimmy1100: 07-30-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old
07-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Canuckee

no off-ice character issues? okay good, I just heard a rumor that there were some. That's good then

Old
07-30-2010, 04:41 PM
jimmy1100

Quote:
no office character? okay good, I just heard a rumor that there were some. That's good then
Nope. Just looks like he wasn't all that thrilled about being sent back to juniors after his draft year. I can't think of why he thought he'd stick though. I don't think there is a scout or fan out there that really believed he'd crack the roster at the same time as Doughty.

Hide and watch Teubertblow up in camp this year. I'm not predicting it, but it'd be fun to see with a few people now thinking he was a wasted pick.

I'm betting much of the negativity came about once people remembered that we traded down one spot to take Teubert and let Buffalo take Tyler Myers...

Old
07-30-2010, 06:50 PM
ukyo

The only character issues I can think of is that he's too grumpy. Which, if you are looking for a team full of Lady Byng nominees, probably isn't that great.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Capn Brown

LoL! Is Teubert gunna be the next A. J. Thelen?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=78353

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think he will be fine. People just like comparing him to Myers and it messes with them.

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:20 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

Doughty
Johnson
Scuderi
Greene
Drewiske
Harrold
Martinez
Fransson
Voynov
Hickey
Muzzin
Teubert

Say Whaaaat?

I think he may have the least upside of anyone on that list. (except possibly Harrold - although he's played the last 3 seasons in the NHL)

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Teubert will surprise next summer at training camp and make the team.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 03:55 PM
SuperAlmeida

mayor119

Just an FYI: #LAKings 1st rd pick Derek Forbort has been paired w/ 2011 draftee Adam Clendening (BostonU) at @USAhockey eval camp this wkend

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
no off-ice character issues? okay good, I just heard a rumor that there were some. That's good then
Not off-ice character issues, though a twice in the past 2 seasons he was a healthy scratch for multiple games. Upon the one issue, here was the quote from then-Pats Coach Dale Derkatch: "In the case of Teubert, it was a staff decision involving (GM) Brent Parker, coach Perkins and myself. We just need to get Colten back to being the player we need and perhaps missing this game will allow him to get his thoughts together and maybe observe things from another perspective."

And apparently his WJC and possible-future teammate Brayden Schenn apparently hasn't said much to him since his comments about Teubert goading youngster Mark Stone into a one-sided fight: Wheat Kings centre Brayden Schenn didnít take kindly to the actions of Teubert, his teammate with Canada at this yearís world juniors.
ďI think a guy like that has been in the league long enough, obviously it is a blowout game, but I think youíve got to have a little bit more class than that," said Schenn. "If you want to be tough guy, go fight (Wheat Kings enforcer) Jordan Hale, thatís all Iíve got to say about that.Ē

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 05:25 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Say Whaaaat?

I think he may have the least upside of anyone on that list. (except possibly Harrold - although he's played the last 3 seasons in the NHL)
Ultimate upside? I agree with Josh.

If Teubert puts his shot and physical game together, and learns to stop running around, he can be better than all of them.

Teubert has shown he can put up some points, atleast at the junior level. Of course that doesn't always translate at all to the NHL or AHL, he does have the ability to get the puck on and in the net. Hickey, Voynov, Fransson, etc, will never have the imposing fear factor that Teubert can have.

He likely won't top out higher than those guys, but if we are talking best case scenario for each player, I have to give the ultimate edge to Tube Steak, as unlikely as it may be.

Old
08-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Skyver

I see nothing wrong with Teubert, people just hate him because of Tyler Myers.

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
I see nothing wrong with Teubert, people just hate him because of Tyler Myers.
I think you may have something

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
We've all been spoiled by Drew Doughty to the point that we think Colten Teubert sucks. It's simply not true. Normally, defensemen take longer to develop. Big defensemen take even longer. How long did it take Chara to become good? Matt Greene? Atlanta is still waiting on Valabik to become what he could be. Add into that fact that we made a trade with Buffalo that allowed them to take Myers who went on to win the Calder and people absolutely hate him. He's going to be fine.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:30 PM
T2M

We'll have a better read on Teubert by January when we see how he adapts to the pro game and lifestyle. If it turns out that he has character problems, then he's not going to make it, if he is a great teammate and shows steady progression we could all be singing his praises and waiting for the team to make room for him. Man, 20 year old prospects are like 1 year old kids, they change so much every 6 months.

T2M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:23 PM
McSorley 33

I love Tuebert as well and believe he has too much pride in himself not to be successful.

He's not going to turn into another Joe Rullier.

I bet at the midway point this upcoming season, he makes the jump from the Reign to the Monarchs.

Tuebert and Hickey should have big seasons this year.

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
AStammer7*

Teubert Has Work To Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33 View Post
I love Tuebert as well and believe he has too much pride in himself not to be successful.

He's not going to turn into another Joe Rullier.

I bet at the midway point this upcoming season, he makes the jump from the Reign to the Monarchs.

Tuebert and Hickey should have big seasons this year.
For Colten Teubert to make it to Los Angeles he has to improve his footspeed and recoverability on outside speed rushers. He needs to keep his game simple but has to remember that his forte is defense,smashing people and fighting not necessarily in that order. A season or two in Manchester won't hurt him either...He is a project that could be what the docter ordered for our mostly passive defense...Go Bert Go!!!

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote