HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Edge: Flat bottom V cut

Old
02-14-2010, 09:27 PM
FloPoErich

vCash: 500
My LHS charges $8 for this versus $6 for a regular. I am brand new to skating, so I am basically learning on the FBV and I really like it. It's a little harder to stop when just sharpened and I can really tell when I need to get them re-sharpened, after about 10 hours (for me at least).

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:31 PM
AIREAYE

Came back form our game, again feels like a 1/2" after a couple of skates...FBV for me is comfortable, but notihng special

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Hockeyfan68

Thanks for the feedback guys, it gives me some insight since I cannot get it done to see for myself yet.

I will be trying this out when it is here though.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Anyone else try this? I just got my first FBV cut done, i got the 100/50, I have a game tonight, I will post my results afterwards.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:45 PM
AIREAYE

Update:

after several games/practises and even some shinny on an outdoor rink, i can say that, if nothing else, the FBV is quite long-lasting and consistent. Dont have to sharpen every 4-6 sessions like before

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:58 PM
cmdrdredd

I've tried the 90/75, 100/50, and 100/75. The glide is definately better than the old hollow I was using. Less effort to skate it seems too, on turns it grabs real nice. 90/75 felt a little shaky for me. Not enough bite while the 100/75 was too much. 100/50 is almost perfect. After a while I got used to it and felt comfortable. It's so hard to describe in words how it feels, but you should give yourself the opportunity to try it if it's available to you.

After going back to my old hollow it feels like I'm skating in mud. Just very slow, at least to my feel.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Anyone else try this? I just got my first FBV cut done, i got the 100/50, I have a game tonight, I will post my results afterwards.
You should like it. You'll notice your skating a tad bit easier. There will be less resistance on the actual blade.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Update: after my game last night on a 100/50, I did notice the floating, or gliding better feeling everyone spoke of. After a stroke or 2 it seems you just sort of float, pretty cool. The turns seemed a little less effortless, but will need to spend some more time on the before I can make a final verdict about the turns. I think I will be using this cut from now on unless I find something I don't like about it.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
frito

I've been using the FBV for a few months now. As the guy at the LHS said, I noticed very little difference with the stride and and turn. I really noticed a difference at my daughter's hockey practice. I tend to skate backwards a lot during the practice while monitoring how the kids are doing. I usually take three or four strides and just kind of glide around. The first time I did it I was amazed as it felt like I was gliding on butter.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
The ORB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Blackstone has been offering this for quite a while. Blademaster now offers it as well.

Pretty much you get the same edge you are used to plus and a hell of alot more glide.

For double the price of a hollow cut, you have to find out if the glide is worth it for you, it was not for me, im back to 5/8"
I switched my daughter from 9/16ths to 100/50 FBV a couple of months ago. She likes it. Slightly more grip and slightly more glide.

Our local sharpener in Markham does FBV for the same price as a conventional sharpening. $31 for a card good for 10 sharpenings. Can't complain about that, as during the season she is skating 5-7 times a week.

The ORB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 07:02 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Feeling was the same for me, you just glide longer
Concur, which is why I went a little deeper to a 90/75 since I have been skating on 7/8th for years. Also, 90/50 didnt seem as sharp as a 7/8th. I have seen charts where 90/75 is more like 3/4 than 5/8ths

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
biturbo19

Call me stubborn and old-fashioned, but i don't really have any desire to try this. I can see how gliding might be more smooth, but i can't see how the abrubtness of the edges would improve smoothness when moving from edge to edge or anything. And this talk of feeling like skating on butter sounds...well...awful. lol.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC

if I get a FBV on my skates now, will it hurt them if I want to go to a traditional sharpening later?

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:53 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
I don't really need a lot of bite. I'm a pretty advanced skater by all standards, and the way I have my blades is perfect for me..... I can turn on a dime without it.
this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
I don't really see how this is much different then using a really deep hollow, it seems you would just be on your edges all the time....
i skate on 7/8" hollow and sometimes 1 ". im happy with the amount of "glide" and edge i get with that. no thanks.i also have to ask . most of those who like it seem to be in the south. hows the ice conditions there? cause up here the ice is hard and fast. especially outdoors in winter . does that make a difference?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:12 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Call me stubborn and old-fashioned, but i don't really have any desire to try this. I can see how gliding might be more smooth, but i can't see how the abrubtness of the edges would improve smoothness when moving from edge to edge or anything. And this talk of feeling like skating on butter sounds...well...awful. lol.
With a traditional cut, the smaller the number, the more edge you have. You can turn on a dime easier and you can dig your edge into the ice more. This also, however means that you wont get as much glide because your edges will be further into the ice.

So usually you need to choose between a sharper cut for quicker turns, etc. or a shallower cut for more glide and speed.

With the FBV you dont have to sacrifice one for the other. It's not so much the "improved smoothness", it is more the fact that people can now have the best of both worlds.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:21 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
With a traditional cut, the smaller the number, the more edge you have. You can turn on a dime easier and you can dig your edge into the ice more. This also, however means that you wont get as much glide because your edges will be further into the ice.

So usually you need to choose between a sharper cut for quicker turns, etc. or a shallower cut for more glide and speed.

With the FBV you dont have to sacrifice one for the other. It's not so much the "improved smoothness", it is more the fact that people can now have the best of both worlds.
like i said i skate at 7/8 to an inch and i keep my blades sharp. no edge problem for me.
if you maintain the sharpness the hollow shouldnt affect your ability to turn on a dime etc.

Old
08-01-2010, 02:59 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

You have to be a strong skater for the V cut to have any sort of advantage.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 04:23 AM
biturbo19

Quote:

but i thought i already had a pretty good compromise that i was happy with? sometimes more of everything isn't better?

i'm kinda tempted to try it though because i hear about it a lot, but at the same time...i've never been dissatisfied with my blades to begin with (other than lackluster sharpening jobs).

i am very curious about how different it feels, but i don't really see any advantage for me. i mean, any limits i find with my skating are because of lack of power/strength, etc. and by all accounts, if nothing else...i'm a very smooth, fluid skater. i feel like i'd have to be either a LOT heavier, regularly skating on poor ice, or ridiculously powerful to actually need to move away from a traditional hollow that i'm happy with.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:59 AM
DevilsFan38

For those who aren't interested, I'd say don't knock it till you try it. I've been using it now for a few months and love it (was originally on 5/8). The main difference for me wasn't in how it felt while I was skating, but that at the end of each shift I was less tired, because I was getting more glide from the skates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattman View Post
if I get a FBV on my skates now, will it hurt them if I want to go to a traditional sharpening later?
If you switch back and forth frequently they'll have to take off more of your blade each time you get it sharpened, so you'll wear down your runners faster.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:54 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I've been on it since late 2008, I won't go back to traditional sharpening. There is no disadvantage and I can skate longer than just about anyone I know.

Last pickup I went to there were 7 and 8 per side. Every time I looked at the bench, people were just sitting down or waved me off to change. I only ended up changing 4 or maybe 5 times, sat for no longer than a minute each time... We skated for about 3 hours and even though I sat for less, I was the only person that was there the whole time that didn't leave complaining of being tired. I actually left because I was bored after but everyone left.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:36 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
like i said i skate at 7/8 to an inch and i keep my blades sharp. no edge problem for me.
if you maintain the sharpness the hollow shouldnt affect your ability to turn on a dime etc.
And I was the same as you before I switched to FBV. But when I switched, I was able to supplement my skating with everything the traditional cut lacked.

Trust me, you have nothing to lose making the switch.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
And I was the same as you before I switched to FBV. But when I switched, I was able to supplement my skating with everything the traditional cut lacked.

Trust me, you have nothing to lose making the switch.
i already own a wissota 611 skate sharpeneing machine.can i get a wheel for my wissota machine that cuts the flatedge way?

Old
08-01-2010, 01:20 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Is there a way to find out where this is done? I live in SoCal, I'll assume we have soft ice out here, I'm also getting older at 37 and looking for every advantage I can get especially when it comes to endurance. Currently use a 7/16 edge, play stay at home defense in a B league and forward in a C league so I need the best of both worlds when it comes to bite and glidea, seems like this would help.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:32 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Is there a way to find out where this is done? I live in SoCal, I'll assume we have soft ice out here, I'm also getting older at 37 and looking for every advantage I can get especially when it comes to endurance. Currently use a 7/16 edge, play stay at home defense in a B league and forward in a C league so I need the best of both worlds when it comes to bite and glidea, seems like this would help.
I work at the pro shop at The Gardens in Lakewood. We do it there.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:56 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
I work at the pro shop at The Gardens in Lakewood. We do it there.
I just got home from there. I'll give it a try next week, what number would I use?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote