HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Markstrom -> next Lundqvist?

Old
08-01-2010, 02:01 PM
FinlandPanther

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Yup. It's guaranteed that one of them will become a top 3 goalie.

We're as ready as you can get with prospects, but don't be surprised if they don't quite fill Vokoun's shoes when he leaves. He'll be leaving pretty big ones.

Well if they can all demand huge paydays, the one whose contract we could least handle. The one who gets us the best return in relation to the cap relief we'd get from him and what he'd contribute to the team.

It's a pretty good problem to have, man.
i agree its a great problem to have.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
there is a transfer agreement between swedish teams and the nhl now, so it doesnt matter if he's under contract or not. markstrom had just signed an extension with brynas when he signed for us
Yeah, I guess that does make sense. lol

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Gudbranson44

this is getting out of control.... way out..
we're discussing how to solve the potential problem of salaries of players that are not even signed to a contract, and one is not even drafted!
guys i know we will suck this season, but can we please stop speculating about what might happen in 5-7 years if we really really suck this year

Gudbranson44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
jol

Quote:
there is a transfer agreement between swedish teams and the nhl now, so it doesnt matter if he's under contract or not. markstrom had just signed an extension with brynas when he signed for us
Then he has to have an option in his contract, same way as Markstrom has. I'm sure he has that option.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
this is getting out of control.... way out..
we're discussing how to solve the potential problem of salaries of players that are not even signed to a contract, and one is not even drafted!
guys i know we will suck this season, but can we please stop speculating about what might happen in 5-7 years if we really really suck this year
There's no harm in looking ahead a little bit. If we don't make any significant improvement with this roster, we could certainly contend for Larsson or Couturier. And some fans are just thinking what the team would look like with either of them. I wouldn't be upset either way, but I prefer Couturier. But you can't go wrong with a possible generational defenseman. Thing is, if you take Larsson, then in 5-7 years you could very well have a problem, even if it's a good problem. You might have a ton of money tied up in your top 3 D. So either you trade the worst of the 3 for offense, or you have a patchwork set of #4-6 d-men you have to be very cheap, thus your D will be very top heavy with those guys playing the large bulk of the minutes. If you don't do one of those two things, then you can't spend a lot on the offense. I have a feeling though that Tallon would take Larsson if he had the choice. As of today, that is. Couturier would have to have a storybook season to surpass Larsson in the eyes of most scouts I would think though. And we still have yet to see what Larsson has up his sleeve for the upcoming year. He could simply dominate everything he touches.

Old
08-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Then he has to have an option in his contract, same way as Markstrom has. I'm sure he has that option.

JOL
Assuming Larsson will be a top 5 pick at next season draft, i think we can say we will see him in NHL next season, whith the Cats or not.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:32 AM
16Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I love this thread! Good thing we're not getting ahead of ourselves by comparing our 20 year old prospect who has never played a single NHL game to one of the best goaltenders in the world! We wouldn't want to exacerbate his young career by placing too heavy a burden on his shoulders already!
Completely agree with this (no offense to the thread starter). Don't want to count our chickens before they hatch...or before they play a few NHL games.

Especially with goalies. Just look at other highly touted goalies like Dipietro, Price and Lehtonen. Good, but no saviours.

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:52 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I hate to say this...like >>>>><<<<<<

Rozsival, Redden, Girardi
Staal & Del Zotto

Wideman, McCabe, Allen
Gudbranson & Kulikov

Seeing as how both goalies are both equally f***ed, we might actually have a true answer to this thread in a few months.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Boooooth10

There's a charity game in Sweden today and Markstrom is playing.
http://lgsports.s3.amazonaws.com.s3..../lgsports.html

I hope someone streams this for us!

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post

Staal & Del Zotto

Wideman, McCabe, Allen
Gudbranson & Kulikov

Seeing as how both goalies are both equally f***ed, we might actually have a true answer to this thread in a few months.
Don't think it would be fair to compare both of them at this point. Markstrom will need some time in the NHL.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post

Staal & Del Zotto

Wideman, McCabe, Allen
Gudbranson & Kulikov

yeah but we dont have a sather

Gudbranson44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:51 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Ratty, I know. I was comparing defense more than anything.
I meant like, we have a good chance to find out if comparison is truly possible based on similar crappy overall D.

...and sad to say, I'd actually wish for a Sather down here. At least we'd have some sort of product to get into here...really the only one around town keeping me interested is Booth (and they STILL haven't gotten *********g ANYTHING at all to play with and protect him!) and hopes of a Gudbranson and Markstrom breakout...

Old
08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Im starting to think that at some point next year Markstrom is going to get lit up like the 4th of July and I wonder how he will do with that experience. I also wonder how his bandwagon will do when it happens. I personally hope the kid gets a long time in the AHL to develop similar to the way the Kings are bringing Bernier along so slowly. It will be better for him I think. Any which way it will provide us with some interesting discussion this next season.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
Im starting to think that at some point next year Markstrom is going to get lit up like the 4th of July and I wonder how he will do with that experience. I also wonder how his bandwagon will do when it happens. I personally hope the kid gets a long time in the AHL to develop similar to the way the Kings are bringing Bernier along so slowly. It will be better for him I think. Any which way it will provide us with some interesting discussion this next season.
I don't know what this bandwagon is you speak of (I was on his bandwagon before pretty much anyone here, before he was drafted by my fav team,the Panthers). I have a soft spot for skilled out of this world Swede hockey players (never cared for Forsberg though ,but that could have a little to do with 96').

If anything more people HATE Markstrom than love him. I love the hate,keep bringing it

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Well, if he were to get lit up, i think it would be good for his mental growth. I think everyone that saw him in the WJC saw that he needed to mature a little, then again he was 18. That being said, i don't see him getting walked over all year. I could see something similar to Salak last year where he tore it up for a while only to really drop his game towards the end of the season. But i hope Markstrom would be able to bounce back during something like that.

Either way, it's a good situation. He gets at least a year to really work on his game and go through some of the ups and downs that happen over a full season. All the while, he's gaining some experience with the NA style of game, which could be a big deal, and could not be.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
I don't understand this comment. He has dominated the SEL the last two years as a teenager. Simply put, that's extraordinary. He deserves all the 'hype' he is getting, if you can even call it hype. I just call it his just rewards. That's what happens when you're a phenom.

Old
08-05-2010, 08:30 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I don't understand this comment. He has dominated the SEL the last two years as a teenager. Simply put, that's extraordinary. He deserves all the 'hype' he is getting, if you can even call it hype. I just call it his just rewards. That's what happens when you're a phenom.
Not only that, but my living room remote just picked itself up and threw itself very hard against the ground when Henrik Lundqvist was "lit up like the 4th of July" letting 8 goals against NJ.....Hank's still the best I've seen, especialy with what he's dealing with.

Old
08-05-2010, 04:14 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
The obvious answer is that his bandwagon will make excuses and claim that Rochester is worse than Brynas. I'm sure he'll be solid, though.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote