HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First league game ever!

Old
08-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Parisex9

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Parisex9
First league game ever!

Hey guys tomorrow is finally my first legit hockey league game after playing at parking lots and stuff for about 2 years and I'm really nervous haha.. Anyone have any tips for me, or anyone kno anything that's a big difference between a real league game and backyard games?

Edit: I have been playing with a ball and I have a problem lifting a puck if anyone could help me with that?

Parisex9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:56 AM
NJDwoot

I'm not an experianced player by any means, but I can remember my first game.. it was only a month ago. I was nervous also... to fight the feeling I kept telling myself "its the beginner league and no one is expecting anything. we are all beginners so just try and go with the flow"

I research A LOT. I want to be better and know were I am suppose to be and who to cover ect.. I'll easily watch 2 periods of NHL games every day. This healps me feel more confident on the ice. I dont know much about backyard style but I imagine you would already know how the game flows, positions, ect..

If you are playing on a beer league... go out and have fun. and if it is some sort of super serious league, well then i dont know, you might be expected to know what you are doing lol.

AS for lifting the puck, these forums are loaded with information. There is another guy who posts here who I think runs howtohockey.com which has tons of information also.

Good luck

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:02 AM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
Have fun, understand your paying for your ice time and you should play your share. Play your positions as best you can and skate hard every shift

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Razzmatazz

Good luck, it's the best feeling in the world to get out there for the first time

Keep it simple, and pay attention so that you don't wander out of your position in the defensive zone. Skate hard on the backcheck, and keep your shifts short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisex9 View Post
Edit: I have been playing with a ball and I have a problem lifting a puck if anyone could help me with that?
I couldn't do that for the life of me, as hard as I tried. Then one day about a week and a half ago, I just started doing it, and effortlessly.

With your blade face well open, push the stick under the puck at the toe and just follow through in a quick, but gentle, nice easy motion, the stick will rise naturally on the follow through, and the puck will go straight up in the air, there is no flicking of the stick or anything, just a nice smooth pushing motion...I'll try to get some photos later when I go out to shoot pucks this morning.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 08-02-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
AvDog

Just finished my first season. It was fun. Just worry about the basics.

What you don't have in experience or skill you can make up for with smarts. Pay attention to positioning. Being in the right spot can help a lot.

You're gonna get tired quicker than you think. Just remember when you're tired and frustrated cuz your body won't do what you want, be nice. The game is a lot more fun when you treat opposing players with respect.

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Another vote for "positioning". Since you're new, be conservative and try not to wander too much. After a few games you'll feel confident enough to take some risks, but in a team game you don't want to be "that guy" who makes selfish plays early on.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
metric

Relax and have fun. +1 for not trying to do too much. Play a simple game until your confidence grows.

Also, make sure you get off before you're tired. I have so many players on my team that feel every time they get the puck they must try to do something offensively with it. They end up getting caught every time and have to scramble back to defend, but when they get the puck back they'll try again. Also make sure to back check.

Just an off note rant, another idiot on my team is the laziest SOB who never back checks. Yet, he feels he should scream at everyone else to skate faster and harder when he just floats. The punk can barely even skate. Sucks that he knows more people on the team than I do so I can't really say much. Definitely don't be that guy.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:31 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisex9 View Post
Hey guys tomorrow is finally my first legit hockey league game after playing at parking lots and stuff for about 2 years and I'm really nervous haha.. Anyone have any tips for me, or anyone kno anything that's a big difference between a real league game and backyard games?

Practice, practice, practice. If you have been playing with a ball you likely don't have the forearm strength developed yet. Work out with a real hockey puck and eventually the roller hockey one will just fly in comparison.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:39 PM
ponder

A great way to improve your shot is to buy a shooting pad, a net, and some pucks, and just fire away in your backyard. However, as a beginner, you'll quickly find that shooting is not something you do very often, the main thing holding you back BY FAR will be your skating. To improve your skating you just need to hit tonnes of public skate/stick and pucks at your local rink.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
DJnet65

My advise for you on your first league game is first and foremost have fun.

Hockey is fun enjoy the game.

The next thing is how well do you know the guys you are playing with?

This is a league team so you are probably going to be playing games with these guys on a regular basis. Now is the time to get to know your team and start learning to play together. Playing together means communicating.

I don't know if in your league you will play with set lines or if you mix up the lines as you play, but definately try to get to know your linemates. If you play defense your defensive partners. Always talk to them to get an idea of what they are thinking.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Have fun, talk to your teammates, be a good guy in the locker room and on the bench.

On the ice, skate hard, take short shifts, and play your game. And stay in position in your end, don't just chase the puck around:

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Have fun, talk to your teammates, be a good guy in the locker room and on the bench.

On the ice, skate hard, take short shifts, and play your game. And stay in position in your end, don't just chase the puck around:

Does anyone else find this video pretty hilarious? Clearly an extremely low level of hockey being played, yet so much effort put into this instructional video . . .

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

As everyone's been saying, positioning is key. I couldn't skate for the life of me my first few games but helped on D with good positioning.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote