HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Where do you guys go to find Deals on gear?

Old
07-24-2010, 12:42 PM
nickerjones

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Where do you guys go to find Deals on gear?

When I started playing , I really didnt care what I wore as long as I had the bare minimum on to play. However , now I find myself wanting more gear. Whether it be better quality or just newer stuff. I am finding that its quite expensive. Where do you guys find good deals on your gear? I know there is a coupon thread up top , but is there any other unlisted places or uncommon sources you use?

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:09 PM
metric

MSH used to have a good deal thread but it's locked right now. I caution going to MSH though. If you are becoming the gear ***** you sound like you're becoming, MSH is only going to make it worse. Or better depending on how you look at it

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Kyle2123

I buy tons of stuff online through icewarehouse.com. If you join their "IWin" club (just buy one of their t-shirts or a hat or something) you get 10% off everything forever after that. Never had a problem with them on anything -- highly recommended.

I know you are in OK but anyone in Michigan this week, seriously, check out the Perani's clearance sale going on at Farmington Hills Ice Arena for the next few days. I just left there and its awesome, they've got a whole rink torn up and converted into sales floor, and tons of hockey stuff there. A lot of it is > 50% off.

Kyle2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Ani simov mal

Ebay.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov View Post
Ebay.
This.

You can find a TON of great gear on ebay. Just keep checking often and use different search terms.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I got such a good deal on my old gloves on eBay...$35 for some CCM Vector Pros, which were $150 at the time.

Otherwise Hockey Monkey or Ice Warehouse with the 10% off coupons (Google it).

I also got in the habit of scouting Craigslist and the MSH classifieds to find slightly used gear at a big discount.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:50 AM
densetsu

Craigslist, kijiji. In my area, Kijiji is king and Craigslist is full of scams. Could be different in different areas, in some cities I've heard Craigslist is pretty good. There's tons of deals out there, especially when the person selling the gear is clueless about hockey.

eBay is also good, but then you're bidding against the entire world, and there's shipping costs.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:07 AM
vivianmb

perani's and south windsor arena(CT)

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:29 PM
The Spicy Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2123 View Post
I buy tons of stuff online through icewarehouse.com. If you join their "IWin" club (just buy one of their t-shirts or a hat or something) you get 10% off everything forever after that. Never had a problem with them on anything -- highly recommended.

I know you are in OK but anyone in Michigan this week, seriously, check out the Perani's clearance sale going on at Farmington Hills Ice Arena for the next few days. I just left there and its awesome, they've got a whole rink torn up and converted into sales floor, and tons of hockey stuff there. A lot of it is > 50% off.
I can't get there until next Sunday/Monday, the last 2 days of the sale. I'm looking for new pants/socks/jerseys. Did you happen to notice good deals on any of that?

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:06 PM
ean

Modsquadhockey used to have a good deal thread which was awesome. But it got locked up, as someone said already. I think it will eventually be unlocked but it will probably be in the paying members section when that does happen because they don't seem to want to provide the better services on that site for free...

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:27 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

http://www.dailyhockeydeal.com/

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Frankie Spankie

Not sure if you'd be in the market for used gear but used gear is a great way to save money. When I first started, almost all my gear was used and never had a problem with any of them.

You can try HockeyMonkey.com - Their regular prices are usually a lot cheaper than stuff you'd find at stores and also have some good deals on clearance. If you do go with Hockey Monkey, before you order, google "Hockey Monkey promo" and see if you can find any codes that come up. You can usually find something to take an extra 10% off or something like that.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Frankie Spankie

Yeah, it's 10% off the final price which is usually cheaper than stores and stuff. I've had no problems with their shipping either, got 3 sticks in less than a week on standard shipping. Here's a link to their latest promo code: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/hockeymonkey-coupons.html

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
I hope its not illegal , however I have seen this site and posted it here, I also use http://dailyhockeydeals.blogspot.com

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Hawker14

Maybe because I'm cheap, but I suggest staying away from the $150 composite sticks and stick to $20 wooden sticks (using Sherbrook 5030's for 30+ years lol).

For the average player, expensive sticks are just a waste of money. Alot of money can be saved this way.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Modsquadhockey used to have a good deal thread which was awesome. But it got locked up, as someone said already. I think it will eventually be unlocked but it will probably be in the paying members section when that does happen because they don't seem to want to provide the better services on that site for free...
Theres a reason for the thread being locked and the buy/sell forum being provided to only subscribers. And money is not it. 10 bucks for a whole year, its not bad.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:59 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Don't make that kind of assumption. There was talk in that particular thread, numerous times, of illegal activity to avoid paying duties. That is the ONLY reason the thread was closed, they are going to have a long discussion about whether it's worth it to allow the thread to come back this weekend. Put yourself in their shoes, imagine you have a site and are responsible for the content on that site, your members are talking about illegal activities... wouldn't you want to cover your butt too? With their place in the industry, that kind of activity could seriously hurt the reputation MSH has earned.

The buy/sell forum is the only pay portion of the site and that is a recent change. It was the best way to protect members from getting cheated by other members, which was an issue that almost brought an end to the classifieds. If MSH was all about the money, they'd have ads on the site which they obviously don't. MSH has been operating since early 2005 and up to late last year there was no paid service, no advertising, everything was paid out of pocket by the mods and admins. Know the facts before you make assumptions.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Chadd

Quote:
We found that a few people were using the topic to spam for certain retailers. While some people have no issues with shills marketing on their site, I do. Combine that with the fact that we feel it is important to support your local hockey shop and hopefully our decision becomes easier to understand. We don't expect everyone to agree, and that's ok with us.

Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I'm always looking for special offers. You can save a lot of money if you buy these offers. As a result, I have stuff from nearly all brands but it's not a problem for me. For example, I bought a lot of Reebok stuff when they changed their design from RBK back to Reebok. The equipment was relatively cheap. As for the protection I try to keep a certain level of quality but I never buy expensive sticks.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:39 PM
qwertysac

Anybody know if that daily hockey deals website is legit?

Seems like a scam... just looking at how crappy the site is gives me doubts.

They have some interesting deals on there though.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:11 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post

they're just links to major websites like hockeymonkey and inlinewarehouse.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:22 AM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
I'm always looking for special offers. You can save a lot of money if you buy these offers. As a result, I have stuff from nearly all brands but it's not a problem for me. For example, I bought a lot of Reebok stuff when they changed their design from RBK back to Reebok. The equipment was relatively cheap. As for the protection I try to keep a certain level of quality but I never buy expensive sticks.
You can sign up at hockeygiant to have them send you offers but the downside is your email may get abused!

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:36 AM
spazway49

www.hockeyoverstock.com

spazway49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:46 AM
ryangib

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post

that website got me an additional 20 bucks off a stick from hockeymonkey and i just got one of them oakley visors they have up right now. cant say enough good things about that blog. guy who runs it is super nice. i check the page everyday.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This weekend I hit up a bunch of play it again sports and got some sweet deals on old RBK/JOFA gear. I think I went to about six of them but found a bunch of great stuff for pretty cheap.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote