HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Osheaga festival

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2010, 01:28 AM
  #101
Galchy27
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think I was sitting next to some of you guys. I was wearing a Yanni shirt.
Dude I think I saw you! Few things scream awesomeness quite like a Yanni shirt. lol

As for the show, I only went the first day (couldn't really afford to go the whole weekend), but man was it ever worth it. Arcade Fire has to be up there among the best shows I've ever seen in my life. The National and Pavement (on a side note, I hope justice was served to that idiot who threw the beer can at Malkmus) were pretty great too. Owen Pallett was pretty good as well, despite his set being plagued with sound problems. All in all, well worth the trip, even if it was hell in a handbasket trying to get back to the metro.

Galchy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:34 AM
  #102
nodice
Registered Lurker
 
nodice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
I'm in town to play this festival and I had a great time! Now if I can just manage to come sometime during the season and catch a game a the bell center!

nodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:58 AM
  #103
Galchy27
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodice View Post
I'm in town to play this festival and I had a great time! Now if I can just manage to come sometime during the season and catch a game a the bell center!
Which band do you play in?

Galchy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:46 AM
  #104
Rushin Joo
Registered User
 
Rushin Joo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It's Osheaga, not (whatever some metal festival is)`
Aw, thats so cute! You tried to belitle heavy mtl by pretending to not know its name.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 08:17 AM
  #105
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 500
Wow what a great weekend. My feet are so sore and I can barely walk but it was all worth it. I also have really bad ringing in my ears...Should be a fun day at work.

I was front row center for all of Gaslight and the Keys, and it was freaking awesome. I was so happy to see the Black Keys live, they put on a hell of a show.

Weezer was freaking awesome. Never got to see them live before so I was kinda surprised at how good they were. I also thought Snoop was pretty good, the guy has got crazy good stage presence.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 09:00 AM
  #106
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
favorite performances:

Black Keys
Snoop
Pavement
Final Flash
Arcade Fire
Weezer
Jimmy Cliff

I cant believe how good snoop was. Is one of the few rappers i can listen to. Brought back alot of memories.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
  #107
Ace2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mtl
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
i heard the roots were supposed to be there.

Can anyone confirm if they were there or not? how was their performance?

i went to their show for the jazz fest at the metropolis and it was amazing!

Ace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
  #108
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,210
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Aw, thats so cute! You tried to belitle heavy mtl by pretending to not know its name.
meh, I don't care about metal. No sense in belittling something. I didn't remember the name. Some people like metal, some people like rap, some people like indie, some people like classical. I'm not going to make fun of someone for their musical taste.

Unless their favourite band is Coldplay, of course.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 10:22 AM
  #109
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,210
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Wow what a great weekend. My feet are so sore and I can barely walk but it was all worth it. I also have really bad ringing in my ears...Should be a fun day at work.

I was front row center for all of Gaslight and the Keys, and it was freaking awesome. I was so happy to see the Black Keys live, they put on a hell of a show.

Weezer was freaking awesome. Never got to see them live before so I was kinda surprised at how good they were. I also thought Snoop was pretty good, the guy has got crazy good stage presence.
Incredibly jealous you saw Gaslight. They were originally scheduled for the Saturday, then all of a sudden switched to the Sunday. Sadface.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
  #110
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
meh, I don't care about metal. No sense in belittling something. I didn't remember the name. Some people like metal, some people like rap, some people like indie, some people like classical. I'm not going to make fun of someone for their musical taste.

Unless their favourite band is Coldplay, of course.
My favorite band is Coldplay...what's your point?

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:00 AM
  #111
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,210
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
My favorite band is Coldplay...what's your point?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
  #112
Renholder
Racing like a pro
 
Renholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
My favorite band is Coldplay...what's your point?
You know why I know you're gay?

40 year old virgin reference

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
  #113
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Why though?

Coldplay are a great band and I don't consider myself to have bad taste in music. I'm actually an avid music fan, and listen to all kinds of stuff, like Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire, the National, Hard-Fi, Empire of the Sun, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's, Pheonix, Stereophonics, the Airborne Toxic Event,Elliot Smith Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

Coldplay are still a very, very good band and get extremely underrated because they are popular. I really don't get the hate.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
  #114
Renholder
Racing like a pro
 
Renholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Why though?

Coldplay are a great band and I don't consider myself to have bad taste in music. I'm actually an avid music fan, and listen to all kinds of stuff, like Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire, the National, Hard-Fi, Empire of the Sun, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's, Pheonix, Stereophonics, the Airborne Toxic Event,Elliot Smith Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

Coldplay are still a very, very good band and get extremely underrated because they are popular. I really don't get the hate.
Coldplay suck , not because they are popular, because they make unimaginative,boring, derivative faux-indie-pop music and steal other musicians riffs. Having coldplay uttered in the same vein as Radiohead/National /Arcade Fire is doing those bands a disservice.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:14 AM
  #115
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,289
vCash: 50
I enjoy Coldplay.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
  #116
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
Coldplay suck , not because they are popular, because they make unimaginative,boring, derivative faux-indie-pop music and steal other musicians riffs. Having coldplay uttered in the same vein as Radiohead/National /Arcade Fire is doing those bands a disservice.
Be honest, how many Coldplay songs have you actually heard aside from their radio hits?

Let's not talk about stealing in music because it happens everywhere, whether by accident or not. If you think the national, arcade fire, radiohead haven't lifted some of their material from stuff they like is just being naive.

It's just really cool to say coldplay sucks, without actually knowing why,

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:23 AM
  #117
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,343
vCash: 500
I don't know any Coldplay songs offhand, but probably there are some I'd recognize if I heard them and say, "oh, so that's Coldplay". I bet they don't suck. Does Nickelback suck? I have heard a couple of their songs, and seen the new-country one on Much. People seem to like to have these bands who "suck", just because they're popular. I'm not completely immune, I suppose, there are probably some manufactured pop-icon kids who I thought sucked too. But bands like Nickelback and Coldplay... jeez, I dunno, they may not be exactly my thing, but I bet they are pretty cool and talented in their way. A lot of times bands (esp. bands, not pop soloists) got popular because they are really good at what they do...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:39 AM
  #118
MJG
Registered User
 
MJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2000 View Post
i heard the roots were supposed to be there.

Can anyone confirm if they were there or not? how was their performance?

i went to their show for the jazz fest at the metropolis and it was amazing!
Roots were at the festival last year. And yes, they are awesome.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
  #119
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Why though?

Coldplay are a great band and I don't consider myself to have bad taste in music. I'm actually an avid music fan, and listen to all kinds of stuff, like Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire, the National, Hard-Fi, Empire of the Sun, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's, Pheonix, Stereophonics, the Airborne Toxic Event,Elliot Smith Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

Coldplay are still a very, very good band and get extremely underrated because they are popular. I really don't get the hate.
Coldplay is a fantastic band and they are one of the few bands I can think of that has put out a literally perfect album. I'm sorry if this upsets some of the music snobs out there but they are a very, very good band and the only reason anybody hates them is because of their popularity. You can try and BS your way out with crappy arguments about how they suck musically but you aren't fooling anybody.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #120
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!
 
Ceux de Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,003
vCash: 500
30 posts post-festival and not a single mention of We Are Wolves? They were freaking awesome!

I was on first row for the National. I can now die in peace. It was just so beautiful. Favorite moment were Abel, Squalor Victoria, Mr November and England. Just love the build up in England (and Fake Empire as well), and I love when Matt screams! The CDs are awesome too, but really live he sings differently, he yells.

I was really close of the stage for Weezer, too. The singer came at like one meter from me. It was one of the best show I have ever seen. The MGMT's Kids cover was a nice touch.

The Arcade Fire didn't do anything special for me. Maybe I was too exhausted from the National, and I was far from the stage. Some good moment, especially the encore. Rebellion (lies) and Wake-up were very good, didnt know their other songs a lot so it didnt help.

Other performances I liked throughouts the weekend: Ariane Moffat, Stars, Metric (But I almost didnt heard them. Too bad).

Surprises: The Anttlers (or something like that), catch them before We Are Wolves and they sounded really good.

Dissapointments: Sonic Youth? They were boring, I thought. Gaslight Anthem, I checked their MySpace before going to the show and were thrilled to see them live, but I thought they sound average. They didnt play Great Expectations and it bothered me.

Also saw Ariel, JAPANdroids and part of Snoop Dogg, K'NAAN and Keane.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
  #121
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Coldplay is a fantastic band and they are one of the few bands I can think of that has put out a literally perfect album. I'm sorry if this upsets some of the music snobs out there but they are a very, very good band and the only reason anybody hates them is because of their popularity. You can try and BS your way out with crappy arguments about how they suck musically but you aren't fooling anybody.
Wow thank you. Also as a musician myself, when you actually play their songs, whether on piano, guitar, drums you really see how talented they are.

The comment I hate most is when people say that Coldplay sounds like everything else when that's not the case, it's actually the reverse, everyone tries to sound like Coldplay. Parachutes and a Rush of Blood were BRILLIANT albums. They got too comfortable with X&Y and was criticized so they changed their style compeletly with viva la vida. As a guitar player myself, the music of that album is so complex with all the effects and layers of arrangements.

I bet Coldplay would be everyone's favorite band if they weren't as big.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:06 PM
  #122
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,289
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
30 posts post-festival and not a single mention of We Are Wolves? They were freaking awesome!
read my post carefuly

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:25 PM
  #123
Renholder
Racing like a pro
 
Renholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
You can try and BS your way out with crappy arguments about how they suck musically but you aren't fooling anybody.
I will not, this is not a music board. You can try to weave it in and out all you want but you're practically saying anyone who doesn't like coldplay are music snobs which in itself is a very condescending argument- not a very great one when you're accusing others (people like me perhaps) of the same condescension.

Quote:
Be honest, how many Coldplay songs have you actually heard aside from their radio hits?

Let's not talk about stealing in music because it happens everywhere, whether by accident or not. If you think the national, arcade fire, radiohead haven't lifted some of their material from stuff they like is just being naive.
Kosegin, I unfortunately own 3 coldplay albums in my house, Rush of Blood To the head in my own library. I'm very much well acquainted with Coldplay.

However which way you want to spin it, bands like Radiohead (making groundbreaking, original, challenging music for over 20 years ) , Arcade Fire (sound like nobody else out there before they came on the scene) and The National ( Been releasing critically acclaimed , original and stunningly epic album for 10 years now) have never, as far as I know, had had a lawsuit against them for stealing complete riffs off of other acclaimed artist. Trying to paint the other bands as being thiefs to make your own band look better is a weak weak way of defending them.

Edit : Not that I think this is remotely relevant, but since all of you guys are sharing personal information too, I've been raised up on music all my life, parents are professional musicians , sisters are singers and i've been playing guitar for 8 years.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:31 PM
  #124
Batarnac
Registered User
 
Batarnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I bet Coldplay would be everyone's favorite band if they weren't as big.
But wouldn't that make them even bigger if they were everyone's favorite band, therefore even more hated?

And no, I don't think it would change a thing. How much of a sheep (or anti-sheep) do you have to be to consider popularity as a criteria to what you like?

Also, I don't like coldplay, or any of the bands that were mentioned in this thread. Except for Snoop and I don't even really like rap all that much.

Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:33 PM
  #125
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,289
vCash: 50
Can this thread not be about Coldplay?

Please?

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.