HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Osheaga festival

Old
08-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
They had a song that had a regular chord progression of C# Db, G#, Fm, which is a common chord progression. The case went no where because it was a stupid case. There was a video on youtube showing 7-8 songs with the same chord progression and melody. The guy complained over a common chord progression and three notes.

Again, to not think things in music are lifted is extremely naive ***. You hear bands all the time saying that they tried to sound like so and so.
--

It's a matter of tastes. But the problem with people like yourself is that you think that your standard of music has to be everyone else's. What constitutes a good band? Explain this objectively. Coldplay don't suck, you just don't like them. Coldplay is very, very good at what they do and people happen to like it. Their music is much more than just catchy tunes.
Clever. Trap much. Not going to work. I will not start a music theory debate with you. This has nothing about standards, this is you having an emotional reaction to someone with a different opinion with someone acquainted with the topic at hand and trying to defend yourself with someone who doesn't only think the same way but feel the same way as you do. I never attacked you personally but you seem to be inching towards that with me. (** see highlighted above in your quote)

The Stars indeed were a bit lackluster- Their new songs are not that great. Crazy technical problems didn't help the show. The dude looked totally drunk.

My biggest surprise was Beach House straight before the national. Couldn't see all of them due to technical problems again (totally bushleague by Osheaga organizers by the way).
The national Concert was absolutely the highlight for Me, When Berenger fell on his ass during Squalor Victoria and still kept going with the song was beyond badass.

Didn't go to day two- no tickets .

If next year's 2 days is as good as day one of Osheagga, i'll still buy tickets.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:46 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
The gravel must make cleanup a nightmare as well, why not just pave it? That way people can, you know, sit down if they want to.

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
Clever. Trap much. Not going to work. I will not start a music theory debate with you. This has nothing about standards, this is you having an emotional reaction to someone with a different opinion with someone acquainted with the topic at hand and trying to defend yourself with someone who doesn't only think the same way but feel the same way as you do. I never attacked you personally but you seem to be inching towards that with me. (** see highlighted above in your quote)
It's not about attacking. You said Coldplay sucks, which they don't. There's nothing wrong with I said. Because you don't like them, doesn't mean they suck. I don't like rap, but it doesn;t mean it sucks.

I'm not defending myself for anything, it's a band, I'm not apart of it, I listen to the music. The point is just because you don't like a bad doesn't mean they suck.

there's no trap at all. There is no criteria that constitutes good music. There was an a-tonal movement at the turn of the century that was popular. People liked it, others though it was noise...did it suck? That's not for anyone to decide. People like it, then there must be something good about it.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Quote:
It's not about attacking. You said Coldplay sucks, which they don't.
This is childish, you cannot have debates with this kind of attitude. You cannot just simply use strawman arguments left and right and claim to have the upper hand. I'm not fighting, i don't know why you are
There's nothing wrong with I said. Because you don't like them, doesn't mean they suck. I don't like rap, but it doesn;t mean it sucks.

I'm not defending myself for anything, it's a band, I'm not apart of it, I listen to the music. The point is just because you don't like a bad doesn't mean they suck.

there's no trap at all. There is no criteria that constitutes good music. There was an a-tonal movement at the turn of the century that was popular. People liked it, others though it was noise...did it suck? That's not for anyone to decide. People like it, then there must be something good about it.
let us not turn this into a debate about Criterion of standards. I have enough of that in graduate school. Osheaga didn't have coldplay- I'm sorry I brought them up at all- lets end this.

Old
08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
meh, I don't care about metal. No sense in belittling something. I didn't remember the name. Some people like metal, some people like rap, some people like indie, some people like classical. I'm not going to make fun of someone for their musical taste.

Unless their favourite band is Coldplay, of course.
Quote:
My favorite band is Coldplay...what's your point?
Quote:
You know why I know you're gay?

40 year old virgin reference
Quote:
Coldplay suck , not because they are popular, because they make unimaginative,boring, derivative faux-indie-pop music and steal other musicians riffs. Having coldplay uttered in the same vein as Radiohead/National /Arcade Fire is doing those bands a disservice.
Here is the series of events that unfolded, you talk about personal attacks on my part yet the only one I see is coming from your part. The attitude you gave off is that because you don't think Coldplay is a good band, it means they aren't. It's kind of like those metalheads that believe that if you are not listening to metal, you are listening to the wrong music. Sadly, indie music fans are starting to have the same attitude.

There is no such thing as bad music as someone will always like it, you cannot in anyway say a band sucks objectivley. There is no one standard criteria as to what constitutes good music, to think so is arrogant.

Old
08-02-2010, 01:58 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
The gravel must make cleanup a nightmare as well, why not just pave it? That way people can, you know, sit down if they want to.
I'm pretty sure the city wouldn't. Also with all the events grass wouldn't work. Rocks are awful though; I spent a lot of time trying to remove them from underneath my shoes. The thing is I don't think there is a viable solution for that. If you pave or asphalt it I'm sure some environmental activists would scream to death just because.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Quote:
Here is the series of events that unfolded, you talk about personal attacks on my part yet the only one I see is coming from your part. The attitude you gave off is that because you don't think Coldplay is a good band, it means they aren't. It's kind of like those metalheads that believe that if you are not listening to metal, you are listening to the wrong music. Sadly, indie music fans are starting to have the same attitude.
-thanks, I must be getting old, thanks for reminding me

There is no such thing as bad music as someone will always like it, you cannot in anyway say a band sucks objecitvly (sic). There is no one standard criteria as to what constitutes good music, to think so is arrogant.
Sincerely sorry I hurt your feelings.

However, there is something to be said about standards.
A serial killer might derive joy from maiming and killing people but we surely can't say that we should let them do what want to make them happy. The criteria of " the independence of defining what good music is independently and individually" is therefore invalid.

Slippery slope- like I said, lets not go here.

Old
08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Andy

Quote:
Sincerely sorry I hurt your feelings.

However, there is something to be said about standards.
A serial killer might derive joy from maiming and killing people but we surely can't say that we should let them do what want to make them happy. The criteria of " the independence of defining what good music is independently and individually" is therefore invalid.

Slippery slope- like I said, lets not go here.
Making music does not hurt or infringe on anyone else's right to live. You cannot compare the two. The logic is completely flawed. It's a stupid comparison.

Old
08-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Quote:
Making music does not hurt or infringe on anyone else's right to live. You cannot compare the two. The logic is completely flawed. It's a stupid comparison.
I am obviously aware the two situation are diametrically opposed to each other but the logic is not stupid- saying it so doesn't make it.

I used the example to show an extreme example so we can all agree on the principle, to make a sound argument that has no debate to it and show how it becomes much more difficult once you talk about more nebulous standards-hence the slippery slope statement above- We are going to get into territory where the questions like what constitutes art, the nature of justice , the question of Being itself - then you can fall into one of dozens of philosophical groups of thought and we're going to seriously veer the thread into OT territory.

Koseegin- shake hands and agree to not continue this (very interesting, but ultimately off topic) discussion. Feel free to PM if you want to continue this over there.

Old
08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
My one complaint about the whole thing was how the ground at Parc Jean Drapeau is all rocks now. I remember going to Warped Tour there years ago when it was mainly grass. Softer ground makes for my old self to hurt less as the day goes on, ahah.
Not just that, but all the rocks and dirt make it so hard to breathe...There is so much dust being lifted up around the stage now.

My feet are killing me from standing on the rocks and I only spent about 4 hours there before quitting for the mountain for a while. Even the grass on the mountain sucks and it mainly rocks and dirty...Wouldn't be surprised to see the grass gone there next year. It seems there's less and less grass there every year.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

There is no such thing as bad music as someone will always like it, you cannot in anyway say a band sucks objectivley. There is no one standard criteria as to what constitutes good music, to think so is arrogant.
Interesting point. I disagree completely but interesting debate. Personally I don't think identifying good music, or inversely bad music has anything to do with arrogance. It's like good and bad wine. It has to do with how good the people who made it are at their craft. And unfortunately not everyone has the innate talent or works hard enough to get to that level. Heck, same as a hockey player to a certain extent. I think that's why you are getting a bit worked up over it. Renholder is very clear and polite in his debate and anything but arrogant, but you seem to be taking it to heart a bit more. This is where the difference lies. I do believe there is no way to objectify tastes. Tastes in music will always be extremely varied there is no doubt. However, If someone claiming there is good and bad music is arrogant, then to insinuate that the works of Bethoven or Chopin for example are in the same category as say what Lady Gaga does is naive. Basically in my opinion there is good and bad music, just like good and bad Art. But there are no good or bad tastes. Type-thing.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Captain Gorges

Quote:
Coldplay stuff

Last edited by Captain Gorges: 08-02-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Captain Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
It's Osheaga, not (whatever some metal festival is)`
They still seem quiet, i'm not asking for a wall of death here, just a hint of life

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
SilverTab

What an awesome week-end that was!

My highlights: Arcade Fire (this just might be the best live performance I've ever seen), The National, Weezer, The Walkmen, Morning Benders, The Black Keys

Disappointments:
- Not seeing the whole Beach House set because I wanted to get a good spot for The National.
- Sonic youth (well, it was good, but yeah they were slightly boring..)
- Wanted to see Major Lazer but man was it crowded!

Surprises:
- Snoop Dogg was awesome!
- Final Flash... hadn't heard any of their stuff before, I loved it!

Overall, it was a huge success! (but man, my back was KILLING me at the end of both days!)

SilverTab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
They still seem quiet, i'm not asking for a wall of death here, just a hint of life
Yeah well metal crowds aren't exactly what they used to be either. I wasn't at Heavy MTL but I find even smaller shows in Montreal now everyone seems to be afraid to let loose. To worried about something they don't need to worry about I guess. Man, at a Mastodon show a few years back I had a guy tell me to relax (I wasn't doing anything remotely over the top). I told him to go to the library if he had to study.

Even had some chick point and laugh at me and mimmick at a Torche show because I was jumping up and down having a good time. I didn't know this but my friends told me afterward.

Crowds in Montreal have been taken over by quiffs if you want my opinion.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I couldnt stop dancing. From day 1 to day 2.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTab View Post
What an awesome week-end that was!

My highlights: Arcade Fire (this just might be the best live performance I've ever seen), The National, Weezer, The Walkmen, Morning Benders, The Black Keys

Disappointments:
- Not seeing the whole Beach House set because I wanted to get a good spot for The National.
- Sonic youth (well, it was good, but yeah they were slightly boring..)
- Wanted to see Major Lazer but man was it crowded!

Surprises:
- Snoop Dogg was awesome!
- Final Flash... hadn't heard any of their stuff before, I loved it!

Overall, it was a huge success! (but man, my back was KILLING me at the end of both days!)
Sonic Youth is anti-catchy. You have to feel it to get into it. I understand why it can be boring for you though, as my cousin didn't enjoy them as well. Once you get past the mainstream sh** and understand what Sonic Youth is all about, you'll feel it.

my only disappointment:

-Japandroids

I didn't fully enjoy them as there was some obnoxious db on crack running into everyone in the crowd.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yeah well metal crowds aren't exactly what they used to be either. I wasn't at Heavy MTL but I find even smaller shows in Montreal now everyone seems to be afraid to let loose. To worried about something they don't need to worry about I guess. Man, at a Mastodon show a few years back I had a guy tell me to relax (I wasn't doing anything remotely over the top). I told him to go to the library if he had to study.

Even had some chick point and laugh at me and mimmick at a Torche show because I was jumping up and down having a good time. I didn't know this but my friends told me afterward.

Crowds in Montreal have been taken over by quiffs if you want my opinion.
agreed. When i went to the lamb of god/bodom show at CEPCUM (cepsum?) a year or two ago, i had never had an easier time fighting to the barricade. I was about 700th in line and within seconds of the opening band starting, i had already Sauron'd my way to the front, the moshpit was still decent though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I couldnt stop dancing. From day 1 to day 2.
well good, more people should be feeling their music and acting on it, I see too many zombies at shows lately, kinda like what Jigger said.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:48 PM
SilverTab

Quote:
Sonic Youth is anti-catchy. You have to feel it to get into it. I understand why it can be boring for you though, as my cousin didn't enjoy them as well. Once you get past the mainstream sh** and understand what Sonic Youth is all about, you'll feel it.
Don't get me wrong, I loved their music...

Although I have to admit I didn't listen to much of their material after EJST&NS, I absolutely LOVE (and grew up with) Dirty, Daydream Nation, Goo, and even some of the older stuff (Sister, Confusion is Sex etc..). I still enjoyed all the new stuff they played that I hadn't heard before...but, I don't know... I still found myself to be slightly bored...

I think I would've enjoyed it better if it would've been on one of the smaller stage (as it was supposed to be before Deadmau5 cancelled)...

SilverTab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:

my only disappointment:

-Japandroids

I didn't fully enjoy them as there was some obnoxious db on crack running into everyone in the crowd.
Japandroids were terrible, and the singing/guitarist came off as a *********.

Also, a band needs a bassist, or they are not a band.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Andy

Was anyone else just blown away by Edward Sharpe's performance??

Old
08-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

Quote:
Japandroids were terrible, and the singing/guitarist came off as a *********.

Also, a band needs a bassist, or they are not a band.
I was kind of dissapointed with Gaslight Anthem. I know you've hyped them a lot on the boards, and after checking out their Myspace I was exciting to watch them... but apart from a song or two, they werent very good... plus WHY wouldn't they play great expectations?

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I was kind of dissapointed with Gaslight Anthem. I know you've hyped them a lot on the boards, and after checking out their Myspace I was exciting to watch them... but apart from a song or two, they werent very good... plus WHY wouldn't they play great expectations?
WHAT! How could they not?

I mean, they had a short set, but you'd think that and 59 Sound would be definites.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

Quote:
WHAT! How could they not?

I mean, they had a short set, but you'd think that and 59 Sound would be definites.
At least they did played '59 sound, and they ended with Backseat, but other than that every other songs sounded exactly the same, like a mess of plain unoriginal guitar riff and boring drums. Was expecting more. It was rock, but almost no stand up moments other than Backseat at the very end really.

You really didnt missed anything special.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
MJG

Quote:
Was anyone else just blown away by Edward Sharpe's performance??
I really enjoy the album and they sounded great live. That said, the whole hippie act grows a little tiresome. I mean this is the same guy from Ima Robot and he's dressing like he's from the 60's and trying to look like Jesus up on stage.

Still one of my favourites, along with the Black Keys, The Morning Benders and Ra Ra Riot, who were by far the best of the weekend for me.

MJG is online now   Reply With Quote