HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Setoguchi re-signs with Sharks (1yr/$1.8m)

Old
07-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
You add Huskins' salary and you have just enough to get Souray.
Don't say things like that.

Graveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
You add Huskins' salary and you have just enough to get Souray.
That would be hilarious. Hilariously sad

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Artful_Dodger*

Like this deal but how are the forwards not all WTF when they see what the dmen on this team are making?

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
mjburns
RIP Eyedea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful_Dodger View Post
Like this deal but how are the forwards not all WTF when they see what the dmen on this team are making?
I think that the people speculating about the verbal agreement between DW and wallin for a contract this year caused his 2.5 million cap hit. Huskins at 1.7 was a mistake... but he could get a little better this year maybe?

mjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:31 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb408 View Post
Huskins at 1.7 was a mistake... but he could get a little better this year maybe?
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Huskins and Mitchell in action this year. We were all hard on them in the beginning of the season, but they did just come off of pretty major injuries and both of them seemed to play a lot better as the season progressed.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Huskins and Mitchell in action this year. We were all hard on them in the beginning of the season, but they did just come off of pretty major injuries and both of them seemed to play a lot better as the season progressed.

Cmon huskins dougie said you had it in ya.

Graveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
This is the first GOOD move DW has made all post-season.

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:47 PM
mjburns
RIP Eyedea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
Forgetting about Demers? If he continues to develop he should be worth more than his 1.25 quickly.

mjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Hertl Power

Quote:
How about deciding to resign Patty?

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:07 AM
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
I've had plenty of harsh things to say about Seto's progress last season... but this has got to be one of the biggest steals going in the NHL.

Nevermind the overpaid D... how about Seto for $425k more than Mitchell? Uhhh... hmm...

SactoShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
and i guess i'll be the last to point out the third good move ..

what about Pavelski signing?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:29 AM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
DW's recap.

It seems DW always compensates for dumb@$$ moves with great ones. For example, after Huskins dumb signing, he signs Nichol for cheap, Pavs for 4M which is close to a steal. Then, he signs Wallin *facepalm again* for 2.5, and compensates with Seto for 1.8M (Also a steal!) He also managed to keep Patty for a decent salary...and he seems really open to pulling the trigger on any good deal that will improve our Defense. He also extended Demers for good money and is working on an extension w/ JT, which will hopefully be not too bad of a deal. He hasn't been 100% horrible...he's been quite good except for a few bad signings.

BigDmitriy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Getzlaffedat

DW also bumped HJ up to 3.5 with that offer sheet and facilitated the Chi/Atl trade. I will reserve some judgement on the trade but am optimistic. Being johnny on the spot for any opportunity to weaken your opposition is a good thing.

Getzlaffedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
My bad, I misread it obviously
LOL...not your fault Led used a double negative.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
LOL...not your fault Led used a double negative.
There's no way he shouldn't have been able to understand what I meant

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Lars Bjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmitriy View Post
It seems DW always compensates for dumb@$$ moves with great ones. For example, after Huskins dumb signing, he signs Nichol for cheap, Pavs for 4M which is close to a steal. Then, he signs Wallin *facepalm again* for 2.5, and compensates with Seto for 1.8M (Also a steal!) He also managed to keep Patty for a decent salary...and he seems really open to pulling the trigger on any good deal that will improve our Defense. He also extended Demers for good money and is working on an extension w/ JT, which will hopefully be not too bad of a deal. He hasn't been 100% horrible...he's been quite good except for a few bad signings.
Obviously there were also other deals you didn't mention, both good and bad. Prior to the Heatley deal I was generally a DW defender. I had the benefit of hindsight and could see his mistakes and would admit that he possibly could have avoided them with the right due diligence, but it wasn't enough to sour me. However, he went too far over the edge on win-now mode, traded away too many picks out of the cupboard, and really, while he does have some definite wins on signings and trades, his misses constitute a very real pattern of wishful thinking and willingness to overlook things he should be wary of. Nothing he's said or done has yet indicated to me that he has acknowledged or broken this pattern. Signings are better than his trade record to me, and looking back on it, the two biggest trade wins were JT and Boyle, and those can be seen really as odd behavior mistakes by their former owners moreso than anything DW did. We know that he didn't even call Boston for JT and was surprised he was available (and they didn't seem to be shopping him to up the price either), and we know about the Tampa ownership issues of the time.

Perhaps more importantly, the GM is also ultimately responsible for the team culture and the fit of players acquired or developed into roles and the style of play. Going back to the RW coaching era, it was never clear that Sharks hockey was any one style or that the players were developed and slotted into defined roles on a regular basis, although some did work out that way, not enough. One month RW would say we played a possession game, next month a big body game, and after that he'd tell us how we were a team that adjusted based on whoever they were playing. This has continued under The Todd's leadership, as we originally seemed to be headed to a Detroit type model and ended up this past off-season playing largely big body dump n chase against faster and smoother teams.

Lars Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Bjorn View Post
Obviously there were also other deals you didn't mention, both good and bad. Prior to the Heatley deal I was generally a DW defender. I had the benefit of hindsight and could see his mistakes and would admit that he possibly could have avoided them with the right due diligence, but it wasn't enough to sour me. However, he went too far over the edge on win-now mode, traded away too many picks out of the cupboard, and really, while he does have some definite wins on signings and trades, his misses constitute a very real pattern of wishful thinking and willingness to overlook things he should be wary of. Nothing he's said or done has yet indicated to me that he has acknowledged or broken this pattern. Signings are better than his trade record to me, and looking back on it, the two biggest trade wins were JT and Boyle, and those can be seen really as odd behavior mistakes by their former owners moreso than anything DW did. We know that he didn't even call Boston for JT and was surprised he was available (and they didn't seem to be shopping him to up the price either), and we know about the Tampa ownership issues of the time.

Perhaps more importantly, the GM is also ultimately responsible for the team culture and the fit of players acquired or developed into roles and the style of play. Going back to the RW coaching era, it was never clear that Sharks hockey was any one style or that the players were developed and slotted into defined roles on a regular basis, although some did work out that way, not enough. One month RW would say we played a possession game, next month a big body game, and after that he'd tell us how we were a team that adjusted based on whoever they were playing. This has continued under The Todd's leadership, as we originally seemed to be headed to a Detroit type model and ended up this past off-season playing largely big body dump n chase against faster and smoother teams.

I agree with most of what you said but this I'm not sure about. I think the Sharks are finally starting to develop an identity under TMac. They have elements of what Detroit does but combined with a more north/south big bodied style game, it plays to their strengths and thats what coaches have to try and do.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Lars Bjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNK View Post
I agree with most of what you said but this I'm not sure about. I think the Sharks are finally starting to develop an identity under TMac. They have elements of what Detroit does but combined with a more north/south big bodied style game, it plays to their strengths and thats what coaches have to try and do.
I wasn't so much trying to blame The Todd. I agree he will do what he has to in order to get the team given him to perform at its best and that is his job. It is DW's job to put together the team with pieces which will allow him to install one style of play which includes defined roles that the players acquired can be reasonably expected to fill. It is also DW's job to then do it again the next year and the one after that, acquiring players who also fit that same role and style. The problem is that DW goes for offense, but he does not go for speed, almost ever. That applies consistently to drafting, trading, and signing with few exceptions (Nichol, Grier?). This leaves the coach in a position of finding a recipe with those ingredients, but they are ingredients that are hard to make work together and lack much variety.

Lars Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote