HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Summer Free Agency

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2010, 05:06 PM
  #1
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,820
vCash: 500
Next Summer Free Agency

Next offseason, we will have the players off the books:

Hamrlik - 5.5mill
Gill - 2.25mill
Auld - 1mill
Kostitsyn - 3.25mill
Pouliot - 1.35mill
Darche - 500k
Pyatt - 500k
Lapierre - 900k
Boyd - 650k
O'byrne - 941k

Almost 9 mill just in capspace there.

Now would you think it would be a good idea to try and resign Markov around the same amount of money he is making now, then see if we can try to land a big fish for our backend in Chara?

Gomez - 7.35mill
Gionta -5mill
Cammalleri - 6mill
Plekanec - 5mill
Eller - 1.3mill
Moen - 1.5mill

Markov - 6mill
Chara - 6.5mill
Subban - 875k
Gorges - 2.5mill
Spacek - 3.833mill
Carle - - 700k

Price - 3mill
????

Now with the prices I have listed, It would come up to 49.6mill. We would ave 10mill left depending on what the cap does next summer. That 10 mill would have to fill 6 forward spots, a backup goalie, and a #6/#7 dman.

Do you think its possible to make the roster work with adding Chara possibly and do think Chara would be a good signing for us?

We have players such as Pacioretty, Avtsin, Engqvist possibly ready to go next summer as well. Weber could become a full time dman as well. So filling the 6 forwards and 6/7 dman could come cheap for the Habs also making our lineup really really young.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:11 PM
  #2
clarke19
Registered User
 
clarke19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
I have a slight suspicion that Spacek will be bought out at that salary after next season. The Habs won't want him back after this season.

Don't flame. I just feel that way. Then we could target a James Wisniewski or someone.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:14 PM
  #3
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,561
vCash: 500
I think the Bruins will extend Chara before he becomes a free agent.

I do expect Hamrlik to be gone, but his salary may be mostly absorbed in giving raises to guys like Gorges and Markov and just paying the guy who takes Hamrlik's place in the lineup, and a bit here and there to other young players, perhaps. I wouldn't count on having any great windfall of cap space to spend on a big guy. I mean, who knows, though.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
  #4
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
I have a slight suspicion that Spacek will be bought out at that salary after next season. The Habs won't want him back after this season.

Don't flame. I just feel that way. Then we could target a James Wisniewski or someone.
What if I made the prediction that Price would be dealt as the Habs would be in the market for a number 1 goalie next year?

Anything can happen...what's the point in speculating team needs next year?

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
  #5
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
We will have to wait and see what our RFA will do next season before speculating about who will be back and who will not.

but the idea of Chara with a Habs jersey make me smile

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:17 PM
  #6
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Next offseason, we will have the players off the books:

Hamrlik - 5.5mill
Gill - 2.25mill
Auld - 1mill
Kostitsyn - 3.25mill
Pouliot - 1.35mill
Darche - 500k
Pyatt - 500k
Lapierre - 900k
Boyd - 650k
O'byrne - 941k

Almost 9 mill just in capspace there.

Now would you think it would be a good idea to try and resign Markov around the same amount of money he is making now, then see if we can try to land a big fish for our backend in Chara?

Gomez - 7.35mill
Gionta -5mill
Cammalleri - 6mill
Plekanec - 5mill
Eller - 1.3mill
Moen - 1.5mill

Markov - 6mill
Chara - 6.5mill
Subban - 875k
Gorges - 2.5mill
Spacek - 3.833mill
Carle - - 700k

Price - 3mill
????

Now with the prices I have listed, It would come up to 49.6mill. We would ave 10mill left depending on what the cap does next summer. That 10 mill would have to fill 6 forward spots, a backup goalie, and a #6/#7 dman.

Do you think its possible to make the roster work with adding Chara possibly and do think Chara would be a good signing for us?

We have players such as Pacioretty, Avtsin, Engqvist possibly ready to go next summer as well. Weber could become a full time dman as well. So filling the 6 forwards and 6/7 dman could come cheap for the Habs also making our lineup really really young.
They are almost all RFA.

Only UFA are Darche, Markov, Hamrlik, Gill and Auld.

I dont think Markov deserves 6M, especially long term.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:22 PM
  #7
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Chara... he's the captain of the Bruins, one of the best D man in the league, he's not gonna be free come July 1st. No space for him, we need to save money for our youngsters ala Eller, Subban for the upcoming years.

I really like our core as of right now, it will just get better with all those youngsters

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:43 PM
  #8
clarke19
Registered User
 
clarke19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
What if I made the prediction that Price would be dealt as the Habs would be in the market for a number 1 goalie next year?

Anything can happen...what's the point in speculating team needs next year?
To answer your "what if"

Nothing would happen. Haha. You can go ahead and post that without any serious consequences.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
  #9
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
I have a slight suspicion that Spacek will be bought out at that salary after next season. The Habs won't want him back after this season.
Isn't Spacek on a 35+ contract?

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 06:22 PM
  #10
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 50
I can imagine the team shifting to a younger team.

I would not be surprised to see AK's rights and Gomez moved. With guys like Eller, Maxwell, desharnais, leblanc, engvist challenging for the 2nd and 3rd line spots on Center.

Guys like Pacioretty, Palushaj, Trotter, White and so on breaking in on the wings as well. Leaving AK expendable if he remainds inconsistent(although I like AK).

Maybe Spacek will be moved with a year left, leaving room for carle, weber and o'byrne to be finally a full time player.

A can imagine a combination or perhaps just 1 of these things happening.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:05 PM
  #11
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Signing Chara in the summer would definitely change the entire complexion of the team. The Habs would no longer be known as small and soft. Plus Markov would get to feed the best shot since Souray on the PP.

But I doubt Boston just lets their captain walk.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:10 PM
  #12
ruski17
Registered User
 
ruski17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
As long as Darche dosen't re-sign or plays with Hamilton, I'm happy. happy for him that he got signed, but a terrible signing for us since he take the spot away from someone who plays the same role in the NHL such as White, etc. Very useful in AHL as mentor, but that's it IMO.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
  #13
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
As long as Darche dosen't re-sign or plays with Hamilton, I'm happy. happy for him that he got signed, but a terrible signing for us since he take the spot away from someone who plays the same role in the NHL such as White, etc. Very useful in AHL as mentor, but that's it IMO.
Darche is the 13th forward. He's going to see a lot of time in the pressbox. I'd rather him sit out than White.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:32 PM
  #14
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Signing Chara in the summer would definitely change the entire complexion of the team. The Habs would no longer be known as small and soft. Plus Markov would get to feed the best shot since Souray on the PP.

But I doubt Boston just lets their captain walk.
How do we afford Chara, Markov and still ice a team with Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta and Plekanec taking up so much cap space ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
  #15
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Darche is the 13th forward. He's going to see a lot of time in the pressbox. I'd rather him sit out than White.
Exactly. Darche is there in case we have injuries or if someone has a terrible stretch and needs press box time. Great guy to have in that role since he has a great attitude, gets paid minimum NHL salary (unlike say, Laraque) and is quite versatile. He's also french which shuts up the pro-french media a bit.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 10:52 PM
  #16
92Rahman
Registered User
 
92Rahman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
as much as i'd love chara in a habs uniform i dont know how this will happen ? we wont be the only team going after him

92Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:07 AM
  #17
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Habs would have enough space to sign our youngsters and Chara if we get rid of Spacek.

Now, people who say Chara will re-sign in Boston are speculating, even if he began talks, Chara has walked away before and Boston isn't his draft team so anything can happen.

One thing is for sure, we will have to replace Hammer and will have a few choices to do so, my favorites being Chara, Kaberle and Ehrhoff.

If it's Kaberle or Ehrhoff, we'd probably have space left for a 5-6 mil forward if we don't re-sign AK.

Most RFAs won't get that much of a raise.

The ones that will, we are unsure how much and who exactly depending if someone breaks-out among Pac, Eller, Pouliot and AK.

Gorges won't get more than 1 mil upgrade.

The cap will probably go up another 3 mil next season too, and that will give us quite enough space to add players and re-sign anyone we want.

As for Markov, the more I think about it, the more I see him signing with a few extra years with smaller amounts, bringing him close to a 5 mil cap hit. (something like 7-7-7-7-5,5-3,5-2,5-1,5)

It's much too early to see what exactly will happen, but I'm pretty sure Habs will be one of the most active teams on the UFA market next year.

The following season, we'd then have another 3 mil of free space if the cap goes up and have almost everyone signed and enough money to keep Subban, Price and whoever.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:10 AM
  #18
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
Can't wait until Hamrlik's contract is up.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:20 AM
  #19
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
How do we afford Chara, Markov and still ice a team with Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta and Plekanec taking up so much cap space ?
Like any other team that has 6-7 players making 5+ mil.

Gomer 7,3
Cammy 6
Gio 5
Plex 5
Moen 1,5

RFAs
Eller 2/3
Pouliot 1/3
Pac 1/1,5
Boyd 0,7
Lapierre 1/1,2
Maxwell 0,9
Darche 0,5/0,7
Pyatt 0,5/0,7

Markov 5/6
Chara 7
Subban 0,875
Gorges 2/2,5
OB 1/1,2

Price 2,5

Counting all the maximums I put (Pouliot and Eller at 3 mil each, which is way too high) we have 56,5 on the cap (with the cap at about 62,4), we'd have 6 mil of cap space to sign two Ds (could take one prospect like Weber or Carle at 900k and then re-sign Gill for 2 mil) , one back up goalie and either sign AK or someone else.

Just cut 2 mil from the Pouliot and Eller signings as I think it may look more like 2,5 for Eller and 1,5 for Pouliot, and you'd have about 5-6 mil to re-sign AK or someone else.

With guys like Ehrhoff or Kaberle instead of Chara, we'd have 2 mil more to play with, and then maybe keep Spacek over re-signing Gill or whatever.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:27 AM
  #20
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure Spacek stays because if both Hamrlik and Gill leave we become quite inexperienced team on the blueline. Besides there will be room for him on the left side behind Markov and Gorges.

Only ways he becomes expendable is we sign/trade for better veteran dman (doubt that) or both O'Byrne and Subban have a breakout years.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:31 AM
  #21
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Now, people who say Chara will re-sign in Boston are speculating, even if he began talks, Chara has walked away before and Boston isn't his draft team so anything can happen.
It's his new familly. He's a big guy on a big team, and he's been the captain since he joined them. Pretty sure he will stay there. If Chia doesn't sign him before July 1st I expect many riots in Boston.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:40 AM
  #22
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
It's his new familly. He's a big guy on a big team, and he's been the captain since he joined them. Pretty sure he will stay there. If Chia doesn't sign him before July 1st I expect many riots in Boston.
Huh-huh... funny how when it's a habs player hitting FA, people get their panties in a bunch and say it's sure he'll sign elsewhere, but when it's someone on another team, it's a sure thing that he won't leave.

I hate double-standards.

Even Markov, 4 years ago, a guy that was drafted here and said he wanted to stay here, most people here were pessimistic. But Chara in Boston, sure thing.

How do you know Chara isn't tired of losing in the playoffs and wants to try another team? How do you know if Chara doesn't want to wait July 1st to see his options for what will probably be his LAST contract?

I remember people saying Neidermayer would never leave Jersey either.

Boston not re-signing Chara wouldn't make any sense for them, still, it's not a done deal. Far from it.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:48 AM
  #23
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Huh-huh... funny how when it's a habs player hitting FA, people get their panties in a bunch and say it's sure he'll sign elsewhere, but when it's someone on another team, it's a sure thing that he won't leave.

I hate double-standards.

Even Markov, 4 years ago, a guy that was drafted here and said he wanted to stay here, most people here were pessimistic. But Chara in Boston, sure thing.

How do you know Chara isn't tired of losing in the playoffs and wants to try another team? How do you know if Chara doesn't want to wait July 1st to see his options for what will probably be his LAST contract?

I remember people saying Neidermayer would never leave Jersey either.

Boston not re-signing Chara wouldn't make any sense for them, still, it's not a done deal. Far from it.
Even if he's available, do you seriously believe we're in the same league as the other team? I mean we won't have that much cap room and the asking price is probably gonna be retarded with around 10+ teams making an offer. Unless we decide to let Markov walk and get Chara... But I'd prefer Markov.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:55 AM
  #24
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Even if he's available, do you seriously believe we're in the same league as the other team? I mean we won't have that much cap room and the asking price is probably gonna be retarded with around 10+ teams making an offer. Unless we decide to let Markov walk and get Chara... But I'd prefer Markov.
The usual BS reply. Yes we're in the same league, it's called the NHL where we finished among the top 4 teams in the playoffs. As for cap space, go see my previous post, it's easily doable, and what you don'T realize is that Chara has A LOT of links with Habs management, so it's not like the Habs wouldn't cross Chara's mind. The asking Price is already considered and we would have sufficient cap space, we wouldn't need to let Markov go, that would be the whole point of getting Charra, having a top 3 of Markov, Chara and Subban. With a top 3 like that, you're right, we'd be in a whole other league as our D would be tops in the league.

See, that,s the difference between me and posters like you. I count all things as a possibility, either Chara here, in Boston or somewhere else, all avenues are possible. You work with the unrealistic view that all avenues are possible, except the ones that make players come to our team. I guess Cammalleri signed with Toronto last year, huh?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:59 AM
  #25
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The usual BS reply. Yes we're in the same league, it's called the NHL where we finished among the top 4 teams in the playoffs. As for cap space, go see my previous post, it's easily doable, and what you don'T realize is that Chara has A LOT of links with Habs management, so it's not like the Habs wouldn't cross Chara's mind. The asking Price is already considered and we would have sufficient cap space, we wouldn't need to let Markov go, that would be the whole point of getting Charra, having a top 3 of Markov, Chara and Subban. With a top 3 like that, you're right, we'd be in a whole other league as our D would be tops in the league.
Not trying to give you a BS reply. All I'm saying is we have a lot of young players who will need to be resigned. I mean, I'm not saying I wouldn't want Chara or w/e, but I just don't want us to screw the cap just to fill a spot on D when we're lacking on O. Say whatever you want, but that money would be much better if used on a forward.

I'm actually the kind of guy who calls off on July 1st to not miss any action, even if I don't have high expectation that year. And signing Cammalleri wasn't a big surprise, we had to rebuild an entire roster, I would've been pissed if we didn't get any solid forwards.


Last edited by BoNeS42: 08-03-2010 at 07:04 AM.
BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.