HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Niemi, a possible choice for the Flyers?

Old
08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Niemi isn't getting 2.75 no matter where he goes. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be Philadelphia.
Holmgren wont even make a phonecall.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Cleary84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Holmgren wont even make a phonecall.
This is obvious.

I think he goes for $1.5 honestly.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Niemi isn't getting 2.75 no matter where he goes. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be Philadelphia.
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see where Niemi goes. Literally no one is looking for a starter now and there's still Theodore out on the market with Huet likely joining him later.

If this were a normal goalie I wouldn't expect him to get signed, but he just won the Cup and looked alright while doing it so you figure someone is going to sign him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Niemi isn't much of an upgrade over Leighton. Lest we forget he was lit up just as bad as Leighton was during that last series. I wouldn't mind having him on the team but I wouldn't make any drastic moves to get him. He is definitely better than Leighton, but it is not night and day.
rofl

Didn't you say the exact same thing, almost verbatim, about Chris Mason, Marty Turco, Dan Ellis, and Martin Biron? So, according to you, there was no free agent goalie available (except for maybe Nabokov?) that was "much of an upgrade" over Leighton? lol.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Niemi isn't much of an upgrade over Leighton. Lest we forget he was lit up just as bad as Leighton was during that last series. I wouldn't mind having him on the team but I wouldn't make any drastic moves to get him. He is definitely better than Leighton, but it is not night and day.
Let's say Niemi had one chance in NHL and catch it, Leighton could have proven many times that he was an nhl caliber goalie, he shown some good upside, but some very bad downside, as for Niemi it's a win or lose, he could be a #1 goalie or an average goalie, but Leighton, we know what to expect.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
rofl

Didn't you say the exact same thing, almost verbatim, about Chris Mason, Marty Turco, Dan Ellis, and Martin Biron? So, according to you, there was no free agent goalie available (except for maybe Nabokov?) that was "much of an upgrade" over Leighton? lol.
I said Turco was better. Since Emery went down mid-season I was calling for Turco to come to Philly. Nabakov would have been an upgrade too, obviously but his price tag was way too high. And I do think that Mason, Ellis, and Biron would not have been much of an upgrade. If you read my posts you saw that I said they are better than Leighton, but not so much that keeping Leighton over signing one of them is ridiculous.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I said Turco was better. Since Emery went down mid-season I was calling for Turco to come to Philly. Nabakov would have been an upgrade too, obviously but his price tag was way too high. And I do think that Mason, Ellis, and Biron would not have been much of an upgrade. If you read my posts you saw that I said they are better than Leighton, but not so much that keeping Leighton over signing one of them is ridiculous.
I did. You just admitted yourself that you said the same thing about Niemi that you said about just about everyone else. That "they're not much of an upgrade over Leighton".

The bold part is also 100 percent wrong if you're talking about the starter position. Keeping Leighton would have been fine at a lower price-tag as our backup, but not as is.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 08-02-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
This is obvious.

I think he goes for $1.5 honestly.
I'd say $ 2.0

Old
08-02-2010, 12:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I am willing to bet my 500 vcash he signs for less then what Leighton got.

EDIT: that is if he signs in the NHL of course

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 08-02-2010 at 01:06 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am willing to bet my 500 vcash he signs for less then what Leighton got.
Maybe the KHL is for him?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
TOCxNJ

I imagine we could get Niemi cheaper than what he was awarded. I know he might only be a one hit wonder type of player, but it's a much better option than going into the season with Leight/Boosh.

If we don't get Niemi....this offseason is even a bigger tragedy than it is now. In fact, I'd put my money on Niemi turning into a legit goalie in this league. I think he has shown much more than what Leighton ever showed. Hopefully we can pick him up max $2mil.

Please.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Maybe the KHL is for him?
If he sign in KHL after only one full season in NHL, we don't need him in Philly, cuz this guy would be a ****** blinded by $$$, which is kinda common nowaday.

Old
08-02-2010, 01:19 PM
sg12lw

ill say what ive been saying all offseason

niemi is no better than leighton

and at least based on what i saw last season, neither is turco

does that mean i am comfortable with leighton as our number 1....no, but i wouldnt be comfortable with any of the 3

i hate goalies

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Isn't there some sort of rule that if you decline to accept the arbitration awarded to a player and they sign a contract with another NHL team for less than the awarded contract - 10% that the original team can match the offer?

Maybe I'm just making that up or it was under the old CBA, but I swear it happened before.

If Niemi accepted a contract for less than $2,475,000 Hawks could match it to control his rights.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Isn't there some sort of rule that if you decline to accept the arbitration awarded to a player and they sign a contract with another NHL team for less than the awarded contract - 10% that the original team can match the offer?

Maybe I'm just making that up or it was under the old CBA, but I swear it happened before.

If Niemi accepted a contract for less than $2,475,000 Hawks could match it to control his rights.
I do not believe this is correct. If a team walks away from an arbitration ruling, the player gains UFA status. Meaning he could sign for anything elsewhere.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Komarov47

if only Laviolette could talk...

Old
08-02-2010, 04:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Sign. Him. Now.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I do not believe this is correct. If a team walks away from an arbitration ruling, the player gains UFA status. Meaning he could sign for anything elsewhere.
This is correct. Once they go to arbitration, that's the end of RFA and the ability to "match" or get draft picks as compensation. After arbitration, it's yes or no. If no, he becomes a UFA and the Blackhawks no longer have any affiliation with him.

Waive Bouch and Sign Niemi at 1.7.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:47 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
This is correct. Once they go to arbitration, that's the end of RFA and the ability to "match" or get draft picks as compensation. After arbitration, it's yes or no. If no, he becomes a UFA and the Blackhawks no longer have any affiliation with him.

Waive Bouch and Sign Niemi at 1.7.
At 1.7, that would be a premium over Turco. Of couse, Turco ****ed up not accepting our first offer so that's water under the bridge.

My preference would be to waive Boucher and Leighton, sign Niemi, bring up Backlund until Bob or Ericsson is ready and give us some cap room in case another steal becomes available.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I just saw the story from Timmy P. What a joke he is! In July he wrote a piece that Leighton is not good enough to win. In August he writes a story about how Niemi isn't that much better and he'd rather stick with Leighton. Dave Spadaro is on Line 1, Tim.

Old
08-02-2010, 09:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I did. You just admitted yourself that you said the same thing about Niemi that you said about just about everyone else. That "they're not much of an upgrade over Leighton".

The bold part is also 100 percent wrong if you're talking about the starter position. Keeping Leighton would have been fine at a lower price-tag as our backup, but not as is.
If Leighton sucks so bad, how did he put up those solid numbers throughout his time on the Flyers? Say all you want that "with that defense in front of him, anyone could have put those numbers." The fact of the matter is he put up those numbers. His numbers were solid. They weren't great, they were solid. In the Finals, they weren't so hot, but neither were Niemi's. None of the free agent goalies out there have such incredible numbers that make Leighton look bad. Yes, Leighton has not played as many games, but you have to start somewhere. He is getting $1.5 million. Not $6 million. He will put up solid numbers again this season, just like Ellis, Biron, etc would have. Turco or Nabby would have been a serious upgrade, but for whatever reason, they didn't sign in Philly. So now we are left with Leighton, a goalie who went 16-5-2 with the Flyers with a 2.48 GAA and a .918 SV%. Now the Flyers have a better defense and Leighton has some serious experience and a chance to seize the starting role on a potential Cup contending team. If nothing else, he deserves the chance.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 09:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yes, Leighton has not played as many games, but you have to start somewhere.
I'll start with the guy who has the ring

Old
08-02-2010, 10:01 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
ISo now we are left with Leighton, a goalie who went 16-5-2 with the Flyers with a 2.48 GAA and a .918 SV%. Now the Flyers have a better defense and Leighton has some serious experience and a chance to seize the starting role on a potential Cup contending team. If nothing else, he deserves the chance.
Deserves a chance?

A GM's goal is to put the best team out on the ice that he can, not make sure that players get their just desserts.

And he would get a chance even if they sign Niemi. Boucher would be the one out of chances.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Komarov47

the thing is, will Leighton be a #1 in any other NHL team? If yes, tell we which one. Yes our defense squad is good, but since when a team don't need a good goaltender to win? Let's hope Pronger, Timo or Coburn don't get injured during the season, cuz hell we will miss a great goalie.

Old
08-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I just saw the story from Timmy P. What a joke he is! In July he wrote a piece that Leighton is not good enough to win. In August he writes a story about how Niemi isn't that much better and he'd rather stick with Leighton. Dave Spadaro is on Line 1, Tim.
In September Leighton is legit #1.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Gert B Frobe

Not sure I'm posting this link correctly but here goes:

SanFilippo usually has opinions that are based on real information as opposed to most writers in this town who just parrot what they read in the Daily News/Inquirer or see on Comcast.

I don't know how to cut pieces from the blog but he basically states that his source claims that other teams are offering Niemi more than his 2.75 award which is obviously way out of the Flyers range. His source also states that Backlund will have a shot at backing up Leighton and don't be surprised if Bobrovsky is the Phantoms starter.

This makes me feel a little better. I'd rather have 3 okay games and 1 bad with Backlund than 2 okay games and 2 laughers with Boucher. (assuming Leighton is hurt of course)

Of course I would much rather have a Mason/Leighton or Ellis/Leighton than the current garbage. Hopefully Backlund doesn't flat out suck in camp like he did last season.

http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote