HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sincere Proposal from a Leafs fan

Old
08-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Jeremy2020

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Would Sabre fans rather part with Pomminville or Connolly?
tough question

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Luker?

but seriously, i wouldnt like to lose luke now, have him develop and be the center i see him being on another team...

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I'm not a big fan of Mitchell, and losing not one but TWO centers would really hurt us. Say what you will about Connolly being injury prone, but when he is healthy he is very effective. He showed this year that he IS in fact getting healthier, and I think if he can stay healthy he still has another 5 prime years in him. Since the Sabres don't have a legit #1 center and probably won't have one for a long time (since they're so damn hard to find), having two complimentary fringe 1st line/quality 2nd line centers is the best route to go. And Roy and Connolly are two top tier 2nd line centers in the league.

Now that we signed Morrissonn I don't think we need to go after another defenseman tbh. I'm fine with us trying Sekera and Butler again, or trying Gragnani on the PP. Sekera has a lot of hockey sense and is a great offensive defensemen when he isn't having confidence issues.

The only way I'd be fine with us losing Connolly is if we got a true #1 center (like Brad Richards or someone to that extent), or if we got a really good physical center who still has some offensive abilities (someone like Peverley).

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
its a quandary...

the Sabres have no Center depth... Connolly is nearly a pt per game player when healthy and a very very good playmaker... but he's in the last year of his deal.

Pominville is signed for 4 more years. and although "slightly" overpaid, he's a very very very very very very dependable forward, he's going to give you 65+ points, great 2 way play, and special teams play.

We can afford to lose Pominville, due to winger depth.... but we'd rather part with Connolly, but dont have anyone to replace him....
Even though Ruff anointed Pominville with a "C" in 2007-08, I don't think he or Connolly are great leaders or players capable of inspiring their teammates - each is better in support roles. Both have questionable contracts.

However, if forced to choose between the two, Pominville at least has shown some effort and produced in the playoffs - whereas Connolly has not. That, plus Pominville's endurance from avoiding injuries, would be the tipping scale IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Sabretip

How about just....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post

Tomas Kaberle (signed to extension prior to trade)

Drew Stafford
Zack Kassian

Connolly is certainly expendable if the Leafs wanted him over Stafford but I just have a really hard time Burke would ever consider him.

Old
08-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
How about just....

Connolly is certainly expendable if the Leafs wanted him over Stafford but I just have a really hard time Burke would ever consider him.
Like both players, but for Kaberle, I'd pass.

Rather than acquiring the two players, I find there is more value to us in keeping Kabs and re-signing him to an extension.

We need a top 6 winger or a C to add depth to our top 6. It's too much to ask Kadri to come in and perform like a top 6 forward.

Hmm...guess both teams don't make good trading partners. I'd like to point out that Brian Burke has called Darcy Regier the hardest man to consummate a hockey deal with. He didn't make a generalized statement, but just pointed out that both have only made one deal in their history as GMs, and that was the Dominic Moore for a 2nd rounder.

Moore is a solid player, IMO, and Darcy didn't come out of the deal on the winning end, so it'll be hard to have a deal done with these two guys running the show.

08-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
How about just....

I'd take Connolly. If he's not effective in an even strength role, he'd definitely help on the PP. But I don't think many give Connolly credit for his even strength. He's one of the enigmas in the NHL. He's blessed with a lot of skill, and if he had been healthy throughout his career, he'd be considered a very good top 6 forward.

Both these players are on the last year of their deals. Connolly could prove to be a great C for Phil Kessel.

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
I'd like to point out that Brian Burke has called Darcy Regier the hardest man to consummate a hockey deal with. He didn't make a generalized statement, but just pointed out that both have only made one deal in their history as GMs, and that was the Dominic Moore for a 2nd rounder
I've read that before on the HF Message Boards but never in any media report - do you know the source that documented Burke's comment?

Old
08-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Like both players, but for Kaberle, I'd pass.

Rather than acquiring the two players, I find there is more value to us in keeping Kabs and re-signing him to an extension.
After all the time Burke has left him dangle in the wind -- two summers and the intervening season -- it still amazes me that people think that Kaberle will want to sign there and that the Leafs will have any interest in signing him when they are already committed to so many bigger money contracts on their blueline. It's something that just simply does not add up -- and yes, I've read Kaberle's comments about loving Toronto, etc... and also his recent comments about how he has accepted that he will be dealt. Guys don't stay around when they've been treated like that, no matter how much they may say they love a place. Given not just the offer of a contract, but being pursued and wooed by another team, he's going to be out of their fast, moving on to greener pastures.

08-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Reacher Gilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
After all the time Burke has left him dangle in the wind -- two summers and the intervening season -- it still amazes me that people think that Kaberle will want to sign there and that the Leafs will have any interest in signing him when they are already committed to so many bigger money contracts on their blueline.
this

Add the nice things Wilson said about him. And what would be the price?
Would he really take less than guys like Komisarek again?

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
I've read that before on the HF Message Boards but never in any media report - do you know the source that documented Burke's comment?
It was on an interview. But my memory is great. I listened to the interview myself so its not a story that has chains of narration.

And with regards to the comment about Kaberle being re-signed, I think its important to note how much value he possesses for us. He's a rare commodity as in a PMD and without him we will be without none. Trading Kaberle would be risky itself as we'd be banking on Carl Gunnarson to run our PP for us. But at this point, our need at top 6 forward is greater. At the same time we do realize that keeping Kaberle will not be detrimental for the team. Every team needs PMD, and it's hard to grab them, so I won't be disappointed a single bit if he's brought back. Unless Burke gets exactly or very close to what he wants for Kaberle, which is a legit top 6 forward and some secondary toughness (as per him), I see no motivation in moving him.

Old
08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Reacher Gilt

Quote:
I see no motivation in moving him.
The motivation would be to get anything for him, if he wants to test the UA market you could see him go away and get nothing.
However leaf fans seem to think he can only be moved for good value or stay, I don't know about that.

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
The motivation would be to get anything for him, if he wants to test the UA market you could see him go away and get nothing.
However leaf fans seem to think he can only be moved for good value or stay, I don't know about that.
1. If he want him back, we'll bring him back. Kaberle loves it here and Burke likes him.

2. In a salary cap world, cap space, more often than not, proves more valuable than assets. Especially if those assets don't fit on a certain team. So, if he walks we have 4.25 off our book, along with Giguere's 6+ and we go fishing. We don't have trouble attracting FA so we'll be fine.