HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2010, 12:21 AM
  #451
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
He re-signed for 1 more year with Avangard Omsk of the KHL.
Ahh dammit!

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
  #452
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
send the bumm away. If it makes others think twice about coming to the Bronx, that means you thought in your head before you played for ONE GAME that you might stink really badly for us and I dont want a guy who is like that.

I want people who knows the area, the pressure, the teams. the desire to play. Thats what I want/expect

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:46 AM
  #453
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 23,438
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
send the bumm away. If it makes others think twice about coming to the Bronx, that means you thought in your head before you played for ONE GAME that you might stink really badly for us and I dont want a guy who is like that.

I want people who knows the area, the pressure, the teams. the desire to play. Thats what I want/expect
This isn't the baseball thread

Can't wait till training camp so all these shenanigans can come to an end.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:53 AM
  #454
bscharf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Ill believe it once hes off the roster.

As of now, im assuming hell be on the ice come october.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:44 AM
  #455
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
just to give added perspective to the relative worth of the WADE

according to the stats from the NHL, measuring ice time

Staal was #1 at 23:07
Girardi was #2
Rozsival was #3
Gabork, Prospal, Dubinsky and Callahan were 4-7
Del Zotto was #8
Higgins and Drury were 9 and 10

Wade Redden was #11 on the team at 17:31 per game

Redden was #5 on defense in ice time ahead of Gilroy who came fresh from the NCAA
Those numbers are a little bit skewed because Redden doesn't play on the PP. At even strength, Redden had the 4th most ice time among defensemen. And short handed he had the 3rd most.

Still, that's more a function of MDZ's and Gilroy's inexperience. Neither one was ready to play top 4 minutes at even strength/short handed. MDZ's even strength time was close to Redden's, but teams scored almost twice as often against him. He'll need to take a big step forward defensively if he's going to be a top 4 player.

Otherwise, Eminger might end up playing a bigger role on this team than anyone thinks.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
  #456
The Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lund, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
I hope Sather uses his brain for once. Sending Redden to AHL or putting him on waivers would be the best thing to do with him. He's such a salary waste...

The Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:56 AM
  #457
Black Tank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: a NYer in England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Those numbers are a little bit skewed because Redden doesn't play on the PP. At even strength, Redden had the 4th most ice time among defensemen. And short handed he had the 3rd most.

Still, that's more a function of MDZ's and Gilroy's inexperience. Neither one was ready to play top 4 minutes at even strength/short handed. MDZ's even strength time was close to Redden's, but teams scored almost twice as often against him. He'll need to take a big step forward defensively if he's going to be a top 4 player.

Otherwise, Eminger might end up playing a bigger role on this team than anyone thinks.
But the numbers don't tell the story on their own. Redden was awful, simply awful in every situation with zero upside to do anything other than function as a marginal 4th pairing dman. IMO, he serves as a negative presence on a rebuilding team.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:07 AM
  #458
missionaborted
Registered User
 
missionaborted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Hi all:

I have been following the boards for some time but have never posted, so forgive the 1st post ignorance...

As of yesterday, capgeek.com suggests that the Rangers currently have $465,833.00 in space available (with Todd White as a part of the roster.) Obviously, they still have to sign Staal and Lisin (?) so I am wondering about three players:

1. Wade Redden - From what I have read, it is pretty much a sure thing that Redden will be sent to the minors to get rid of his contract (YAY!). My question is WHEN can this happen? I have heard that it cannot happen until after camp, but if the Rangers only have the space that capgeek is citing, how can we sign Staal and possible Lisin without being over the cap by season start?

2. ??? - IF Redden does get demoted (If we are lucky), who is going to take his place on the Roster? Are McDonagh or McIlrath ready in terms of development? Do we try to sign one of the UFAs?

3. Todd White - I am unclear about the status of White. Can he NOT be demoted if he is injured? Will the Rangers actually use / need him in the roster or will he too be buried in the minors if his camp does not go well?

Just a couple of questions that hopefully someone can clarify for me. While not a huge slats fan, I have been happy with his ability to correct mistakes and get rid of the garbage over the past couple of seasons (Gomez, Jokinen, Brashear, Rissmiller)...

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:22 AM
  #459
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Hi all:

I have been following the boards for some time but have never posted, so forgive the 1st post ignorance...

As of yesterday, capgeek.com suggests that the Rangers currently have $465,833.00 in space available (with Todd White as a part of the roster.) Obviously, they still have to sign Staal and Lisin (?) so I am wondering about three players:

1. Wade Redden - From what I have read, it is pretty much a sure thing that Redden will be sent to the minors to get rid of his contract (YAY!). My question is WHEN can this happen? I have heard that it cannot happen until after camp, but if the Rangers only have the space that capgeek is citing, how can we sign Staal and possible Lisin without being over the cap by season start?

2. ??? - IF Redden does get demoted (If we are lucky), who is going to take his place on the Roster? Are McDonagh or McIlrath ready in terms of development? Do we try to sign one of the UFAs?

3. Todd White - I am unclear about the status of White. Can he NOT be demoted if he is injured? Will the Rangers actually use / need him in the roster or will he too be buried in the minors if his camp does not go well?

Just a couple of questions that hopefully someone can clarify for me. While not a huge slats fan, I have been happy with his ability to correct mistakes and get rid of the garbage over the past couple of seasons (Gomez, Jokinen, Brashear, Rissmiller)...
Welcome--in regard to 1. Teams can go over the cap limit--something like 10% during the offseason. By opening night they need to be level or below the cap maximum--so by opening night if the wishes of practically every Rangers poster here comes true--Redden will be already AHL bound.

As for 2. McDonagh I think he has a good chance 50-50 of making the team. McIlrath is too young and is headed back to the WHL. Other potentials would be Sauer and Valentenko--both of whom have been injury prone. McDonagh is the best bet of any rookies. As of the moment I don't see them signing any other veterans.

3. Todd White IMO is most likely going to be a Ranger. One season removed from a 70 point season. He's a complimentary player for sure but he's also very capable of playing in all situations--pwp, pk, es. I think the Rangers will make room for him somehow.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:39 AM
  #460
missionaborted
Registered User
 
missionaborted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Welcome--in regard to 1. Teams can go over the cap limit--something like 10% during the offseason. By opening night they need to be level or below the cap maximum--so by opening night if the wishes of practically every Rangers poster here comes true--Redden will be already AHL bound.
Thanks for the reply. Is there a time period in which Redden CANNOT be demoted? I mean, why don't they just make it official today and sign Staal and Lisin?

I suppose the Rangers will be ok with the 10% offseason overage, but I am just wondering why the inevitable scenario for Redden is dragging on so long?

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
  #461
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is there a time period in which Redden CANNOT be demoted? I mean, why don't they just make it official today and sign Staal and Lisin?

I suppose the Rangers will be ok with the 10% offseason overage, but I am just wondering why the inevitable scenario for Redden is dragging on so long?
They can waive him at any time. He still counts against the cap until training camp.

I'd shocked if Lisin was to return, considering they did not make a QO to him.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:03 AM
  #462
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is there a time period in which Redden CANNOT be demoted? I mean, why don't they just make it official today and sign Staal and Lisin?

I suppose the Rangers will be ok with the 10% offseason overage, but I am just wondering why the inevitable scenario for Redden is dragging on so long?
welcome to the nuthouse. i like you already

word of advice though..... i wouldnt use lis......er....the L word alot around here...

you wont get invited to the best parties if you keep that up.

just sayin.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:47 AM
  #463
missionaborted
Registered User
 
missionaborted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Ha ha... true! I have to keep that one in mind. No more mentioning of the "L" word for me... ha ha

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
  #464
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,671
vCash: 500
Lisin had some nice tools but no toolbox. Or maybe Tortorella took it away from him and wouldn't give it back. He was a definition for ineffective. Personally I don't see it as a big loss.

...as for signing Staal I don't think there's an agreement in place but the Rangers can not afford to lose their best defenseman. The consensus seems to be that the Rangers have all the leverage...but I don't see it quite that way because the Rangers can not afford to lose their best defenseman and I think Staal and his advisors know exactly who their best defenseman is. If someone signs him to an offer sheet the Rangers are going to match even if it means trading players or other assets for less value. And if that happens they'll have to do it quick because there's a time limit to match. It's a bit of game of chicken.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
  #465
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
welcome to the nuthouse. i like you already

word of advice though..... i wouldnt use lis......er....the L word alot around here...

you wont get invited to the best parties if you keep that up.

just sayin.
plus it would be tough for anybody to hear the "L word" over the noise all 29 other teams are making falling over themselves for his all world offensive talent.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
  #466
missionaborted
Registered User
 
missionaborted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If someone signs him to an offer sheet the Rangers are going to match even if it means trading players or other assets for less value. And if that happens they'll have to do it quick because there's a time limit to match. It's a bit of game of chicken.
Yeah, that is what I worry about... playing chicken... and losing. The Rangers seem to have a solid team for this upcoming season, and i hate them messing around with it by waiting to demote Redden and not signing Staal...

Gotta get this thing done before it comes back to bite us!

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:52 AM
  #467
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Yeah, that is what I worry about... playing chicken... and losing. The Rangers seem to have a solid team for this upcoming season, and i hate them messing around with it by waiting to demote Redden and not signing Staal...

Gotta get this thing done before it comes back to bite us!
They will not demote Redden until training camp. He still counts against the cap anyway.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:05 PM
  #468
King of cool
The winning hat
 
King of cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Under your skin
Country: France
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
By the way, what is exactly the deadline after which one X player is officially off the books? Start of training camp? Start of the season? other?

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:30 PM
  #469
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
But the numbers don't tell the story on their own. Redden was awful, simply awful in every situation with zero upside to do anything other than function as a marginal 4th pairing dman. IMO, he serves as a negative presence on a rebuilding team.
I do agree that Redden is clinging to a 4th line spot on this team, but he wasn't "simply awful in every situation". Wade's a serviceable guy that most coaches wouldn't mind having on their roster @ $2.5M/yr.

As for as his presence, if Redden does end up on the roster in October, it will be because he's reinvented himself as a player and embraced Tortorella's criticism with open arms. In the unlikely event that happens, I'll be happy to keep him around. If it doesn't he won't have a presence on the Rangers, period. If nothing else, Sather and Torts are serious about taking out the trash this year.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:48 PM
  #470
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella
 
Carlos Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
By the way, what is exactly the deadline after which one X player is officially off the books? Start of training camp? Start of the season? other?
Don't exactly understand your question, but teams have to be salary cap compliant by the last day of training camp.

It's quite obvious that since nothing has yet been done, they're going to at least let Wade partake in training camp and then decide what to do. The only reason that he'd be waived in July or August would be if there was a buyout planned, or if they were just completely fed up with him and he had zero chance of remaining on the team.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
  #471
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,671
vCash: 500
I don't think Redden's got the wheels anymore to play the kind of game that could make his coach happy. His best games last year were when he was hanging back. For the amount of money he makes it's unacceptable that he can't help the offense. He's between a rock and a hard place. His non-physical game doesn't help either.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.