HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Arron Asham signs with Pittsburgh - 8/20

Old
08-03-2010, 09:30 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

vCash: 500
I'd rather have Asham than Carcillo but I think Homer disagrees

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Would have rather taken Asham vs Powe anyday of the week.
Not me, not at all. Asham has decent skills every 10th game, can't skate in Powe's league and can't fight heavyweights.

In the middleweight fighter/agitator, mid level skill class, Carcillo is much better because he can play up a line or two, Asham can't.

When Homer signed Shelley, it was goodbye to Asham. If Lappy and Carcillo can't fight heavies, we needed someone who could. You might not agree, but that was Homer's thinking, clearly. Personally, I was getting sick of the Flyers turning the other cheek last year. Hoping Lappy doesn't get killed by a monster is not my idea of fighting back.

Powe is a very important and underrated role player for the Flyers. Fast, hits everything, provides lots of energy and professionalism. By all accounts he's a fitness freak and really dedicated off ice and can take Gagne's minutes on the PK as Zherdev replaces his scoring.

Asham is a 3/4 RW who isn't good on the PP or PK with limited use as an enforcer, esp. on a team now starting Sean O'Donnell or Matt Walker and Jody Shelley on occasion too.

Pass.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Love Aaron Asham and I'd take him back any day. But do we need him?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Its easy to replace Powe's PK abilities, but Asham brings 20 points per season on average from the 4th line, and if he gets paired up with the right guys, he might even add a bit more.
Powe Scored 15 points last year on fourth line duty, while missing 20 games of the season. So i'm fairly sure he would of hit 20 points aswell. I know it sounds crazy, but powe actually brings a fair bit more to his game

Asham - Will drop the gloves
Good for 20 points a season
Hits hard
Can move up a line briefly

Powe - Good for 20 points a season
Will Stick up for his teammates
Fastest skater on the team
Kills penalties
Can also move up a line temporarily

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Powe Scored 15 points last year on fourth line duty, while missing 20 games of the season. So i'm fairly sure he would of hit 20 points aswell. I know it sounds crazy, but powe actually brings a fair bit more to his game

Asham - Will drop the gloves
Good for 20 points a season
Hits hard
Can move up a line briefly

Powe - Good for 20 points a season
Will Stick up for his teammates
Fastest skater on the team
Kills penalties
Can also move up a line temporarily
Asham won't stick up for teammates? Ash has far better hands as well with more of a scoring touch.

08-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Asham won't stick up for teammates? Ash has far better hands as well with more of a scoring touch.
I think he was giving Asham credit for dropping the gloves, over Powe's just sticking up.

If Asham has a better scoring touch, it isn't always apparent. 10 goals to 9 (and Powe missed significant time) doesn't bear that out.

Asham plays when he feels like it. Powe plays hard all the time.

And this is really a false argument anyway, it's not Powe vs. Asham, it's Asham vs. Shelley vs. Carcillo and AA loses on all counts to both of them.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I like Asham, and quite frankly I'd rather have him than a guy like Carcillo on the team (not to mention Cote and Shelley), but as many others have stated, there's really no room for him as it is now. It's a bit odd that no other team has signed him though. Unless he holds out for specific teams (I don't know how settled he is on the east coast).
Quite frankly, I honestly believe he is hoping to re-sign with the Flyers... I think Homer has not closed the door on it, and Asham is working on it. I really don't think he would have a problem and there a a few teams who want him at this point. He would give a good bang for the buck in his role.

That said, I think there has to be a point where he moves on before all the slots on the teams are filled or the contract offers start coming down greatly.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
would of taken Asham at 1.1 per.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Follow Up

It appears that Asham is ignoring offers in hopes of the Flyers making room for him and resigning with the O&B.

In Thursday's August 12th's Bleecher Report, Todd Cordell reported the following Buzz:

Quote:
Several people were asking me about Arron Asham yesterday, and here is what I have for you: The Canucks and the Lightning seem the most interested; however, Asham wants to stay in Philly if possible and will wait to see if they can make room for him.

I personally think Arron Asham is a very underrated player and any team would be lucky to have him. I am sure he will find a new home very soon.
Being that I have heard that there was interest yet Arron has yet to sign... and also previously hearing that he wants to stay with the Flyers, this 'rumor sounds quite feasible to me.

That said, and with this latest 'report', is there a chance Homer would clear space -- both roster and Cap -- to re-sign him? Cote is gone and Betts may not start the season dressed... there is room for another player, but when Bettsy comes back a player has to sit; would they sign Asham and maybe sit him in some games (rotation?)... It seems that Arron might be willing to earn a spot based on his holding out for Homer to possibly come around... Would Asham stick to his guns without word from Homer that there is still a good chance the Flyers would work him in and sign him again?... What about a tryout at Camp?

Sorry to bump a dead thread... but this latest information, after previously hearing that Asham was about ready to sign elsewhere, gave me the impression that there may be a fire causing this smoke.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-16-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old
08-16-2010, 10:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Asham plays when he feels like it.
That's not true.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:19 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Man I hope we can squeeze in Asham. He is one of my favorites in the league. Homer knows Lavi loves him and trusts him n the ice. We played extremely well with Giroux and JVR. All the guys in the locker room said he was the funniest guy on the team. Please Homer.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I would love to have him back. Always knows his role and still has nice moves, even though he doesn't always get the chance to use them.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Man I hope we can squeeze in Asham. He is one of my favorites in the league. Homer knows Lavi loves him and trusts him n the ice. We played extremely well with Giroux and JVR. All the guys in the locker room said he was the funniest guy on the team. Please Homer.
On thing also, as I see it, the long postseason brought out a lot of players who showed up when it counted most... Leino when given the chanced proved that what Detroit originally saw in him was at least somewhat correct... Hartnell showed that he could push aside his season long troubles and less than par play and be a force once again... Briere showed that being fully healthy and put back at center allowed him to excel -- Danny is also a money player who is at his best in big games and the Playoffs -- Asham was to me a player who show his worth as a team player and took some of the heat off the front line key players. With the scoring and overall play of such role players the Flyers were able to put it all together for a long push and allowed them to overcome injuries to key players and win series.

IMO, bring back Asham and other roles players that proved their worth can take minutes off of the core players over a long season that followed a short off-season... I see Asham as a bigger asset than a player such as Shelley. At the very least Asham adds better depth... plus the man wants to play here, and that has to mean something in my book.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
would of taken Asham at 1.1 per.
im gonna go beat myself to death with a brick now, then do the same to homer.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

FWIW, I just noticed that the source is the same, both website and blogger, as the one I cited in starting the thread... as is the teams involved. It must be noted however that a couple weeks back the signing was reported to be close, with Arron still preferring the Flyers. I assume people questioned him following up his earlier report that he was about ready to sign in Vancouver and that the Bolts also were after him... and why had he not signed... To see him still unsigned and still hopeful Homer will work things out is to me encouraging.

Eklund, IIRC, had mentioned that Asham may go to some Camp or another as a tryout to work his way on a roster... I find that hard to believe that he would have to do so given his assumed reasonable contract demands and his talent and team-oriented manner of thinking and play. Earlier in the off-season Eklund had Asham listed in or near the top dozen of free agent available... All this indicates to me that the report of his awaiting the Flyers may be based on solid ground.

That said, the bad side of it is the fact that it is the same source and the situation has not changed... other than he didn't sign a couple weeks ago as was thought.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:29 PM
tuckrr

its not even about the money for me...we just dont have the roster spots...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:30 PM
ashamsmashem

would take asham over powe, carcillo, nodl, and shelley. guy is a 100% team first player, and can chip in offensively. maybe he can't win fights against heavyweights, but it doesn't stop him from fighting them.

ashamsmashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
im gonna go beat myself to death with a brick now, then do the same to homer.
I don't understand his thinking that he had to counter the Rangers goon for goon... nor the sudden thinking in the NHL that goons are again going to be valuable, thus paying them more.

All this is also in an era where playing four lines for reasonable minutes saves the top lines and gives better balance... Why he signs a player that most likely will not be able to play regular shifts -- albeit more than Cote, but less than Asham -- rather than just bring back Asham for probably less is beyond me. Shelley IMO is a luxury that will be used once every dozen games or so, and then only for a brief time. I believe the days of such enforcers having big impacts are gone... Homer and the other GMs obviously disagree, and they should know better than I.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I don't understand his thinking that he had to counter the Rangers goon for goon... nor the sudden thinking in the NHL that goons are again going to be valuable, thus paying them more.

All this is also in an era where playing four lines for reasonable minutes saves the top lines and gives better balance... Why he signs a player that most likely will not be able to play regular shifts -- albeit more than Cote, but less than Asham -- rather than just bring back Asham for probably less is beyond me. Shelley IMO is a luxury that will be used once every dozen games or so, and then only for a brief time. I believe the days of such enforcers having big impacts are gone... Homer and the other GMs obviously disagree, and they should know better than I.
i dont understand homer, until i get really ****ing drunk. then, i still don't understand him, but i see things from a "what can you do?" sort of perspective.

what im saying, if its not clear, is that homer ****ed up with shelley. i dont know if someone in the rangers organization got a BJ from his daughter or something, i just cant understand why signing shelley was needed.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
its not even about the money for me...we just dont have the roster spots...
Even with Shelly they can still carry another depth forward with Cote gone, and especially with Betts being out early in the season... The thing is should Asham be used for depth? I suppose they could rotate players depending on opponents and who is healthy and who is hot or cold.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:44 PM
mercury

God, I would love this year's squad if we waived Walker and Boucher and got Niemi and Asham somehow.

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Carcillo-Carter-Zherdev
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Asham-Betts-Laperriere
Powe, Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell
Bartulis

Niemi
Leighton

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i dont understand homer, until i get really ****ing drunk. then, i still don't understand him, but i see things from a "what can you do?" sort of perspective.

what im saying, if its not clear, is that homer ****ed up with shelley. i dont know if someone in the rangers organization got a BJ from his daughter or something, i just cant understand why signing shelley was needed.
Oh I got you and I understand, I don't disagree in the least... What I don't understand is why Homer felt he had to counter the Rangers signing Boogaard, and why the GMs are paying such players more than other role players once again. My point about Homer and the other GMs disagreeing and knowing more is that they may be getting more inside information about teams once again gooning it up... Even with that I hate to see Shelly taking up a roster spot and valuable Cap money for a couple of fights against a couple of teams... Will Shelly countering Boogaard allow the Flyers to beat the Rags? I seriously doubt that. I hate that Homer felt the need to replace a player who rode the pine and press box (Cote) with a player who costs twice as much... and allows a player like Asham, who is dying to come back, to have to walk away to another team.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Oh I got you and I understand, I don't disagree in the least... What I don't understand is why Homer felt he had to counter the Rangers signing Boogaard, and why the GMs are paying such players more than other role players once again. My point about Homer and the other GMs disagreeing and knowing more is that they may be getting more inside information about teams once again gooning it up... Even with that I hate to see Shelly taking up a roster spot and valuable Cap money for a couple of fights against a couple of teams... Will Shelly countering Boogaard allow the Flyers to beat the Rags? I seriously doubt that. I hate that Homer felt the need to replace a player who rode the pine and press box (Cote) with a player who costs twice as much... and allows a player like Asham, who is dying to come back, to have to walk away to another team.
im not doing any research because im really busy with some important **** (bourbon and Be A Pro in nhl10), but im pretty sure homer signed shelley, and that prompted NYR to get boogard.

that's nitpicking, though. id be more than happy to have asham at 1.1 million than freaking shelley.

Old
08-17-2010, 12:05 AM
infidelappel*

Asham >>>>>> Shelley.

I don't care about fighting. I care about people playing the game, and I refuse to believe Shelley can do it better. The 70s ended a while ago.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:17 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I think that getting a true heavyweight was necessary however there were more affordable options. Maybe trade for Matt Carkner so we can get a "decent" defenseman that can actually play and fight. Plus he only makes $700,000. That way guys like Asham can be resigned and have the roster space to play. Plus we could have kept Gagne but I wont get started on that. If it came down to paying either Asham or Carcillo than I would take Asham everyday of the week.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote