HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Metropolit signed a contract with Zurig from the swiss NLA per Rds Facebook

Old
08-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Kebekoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
The end of an era.

1.Maurice Richard
2.Guy Lafleur
3. Jean Béliveau
4.Glen Metropolit
#4? You're underestimating him

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I wish the man luck and enjoyed his play with the Habs. He surprisingly provided the PP iwth an ingredient when it was most needed.

He seems like a good character guy.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
coolasprICE

Why is everyone feeling bad for the dude, he's going to net more money and live in a city that puts most NHL towns to shame.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
BoNeS42

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Why is everyone feeling bad for the dude, he's going to net more money and live in a city that puts most NHL towns to shame.
The cost of life is terrible in Europe.. And Switzerland is probably one of the most expensive country to live in.

Is he getting a special treatment? I know some players get free scholarship for their kids, a free house and stuff like that.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:12 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
The cost of life is terrible in Europe.. And Switzerland is probably one of the most expensive country to live in.

Is he getting a special treatment? I know some players get free scholarship for their kids, a free house and stuff like that.
Dude, the cost of living is a concern for regular joe's ... but it's becomes less of an issue when you make a lot of money. I mean, what does an extra 10 K in rent or what have you mean when you're making a lot of money? Sure it's a lot for a school teacher.

Plus if I am not mistaken, taxes in Switzerland are very favorable.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:21 AM
BoNeS42

Have you ever been in Europe? If not, I suggest you go read on it for a bit.. It might not be that big of a deal, but I'm pretty sure he didnt get a 10 millions / year contract.

Anyway, I wish him the best!

Old
08-03-2010, 09:31 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Have you ever been in Europe? If not, I suggest you go read on it for a bit.. It might not be that big of a deal, but I'm pretty sure he didnt get a 10 millions / year contract.

Anyway, I wish him the best!
Yes, I have visited and lived in parts of Europe too. What the hell does this have to do with the conversation? Do you always like making yourself look dumb by trying to diss others and failing at that?

Let's say Glen is clearing / bringing home 300 K - which could be a very modest estimate.

So, increases in cost of living....there is rent, food, clothing, a car .... ya, all this for someone making 50 K may be a lot of money.

But when you make above a certain amount, it's really a small percentage. And you don't have to be making 10 Million for this to be true. Anyways this is all common sense and you should know this.

And probably a major factor for increased cost of living is the fact that taxes are low and people have more money IN SWITZERLAND. Funny how you equate all of Europe as one big country.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Lucius

I am sure he was offered a pay cut, but in this cap climate, you cannot pay your 4th liners more than 500-750 unless it's an entry level deal.

I'll miss him like I miss Oleg Petrov. A favorite, but clearly one whose time had come to move along.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at Swiss hockey either. My assumption is he got more money, more security and... no offense to Montreal or any other North American city... a much nicer place to live. And to those pointing out cost of living: Swiss teams routinely pay for accomodations and transportation for imported pros. Combine that with a nice tax climate and he's basically just pocketing everything that comes in.

At 36, as a pro hockey player, his only concern has to be banking the money he can to set him up for whatever he plans to do when he retires.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
BoNeS42

Well his kids will be able to attend some of the best scools in the world too so that probably helped him take his decision.

As for me being dumb because I said the cost of life is crazy back there... Oh well, I guess I don't have familly all over the old continent who tell me about it all the time.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

As for me being dumb because I said the cost of life is crazy back there... Oh well, I guess I don't have familly all over the old continent who tell me about it all the time.

With your logic players are worse off in NYC because you know, the cost of living there is high. Again, when you make a lot of money, cost of living increases are marginal. If you are a middle wage earner, like a teacher, than cost of living increases are very significant.

You'd be better off understanding this concept rather than trying to refute it.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Lucius

Quote:

With your logic players are worse off in NYC because you know, the cost of living there is high. Again, when you make a lot of money, cost of living increases are marginal. If you are a middle wage earner, like a teacher, than cost of living increases are very significant.

To add... more important than the relative cost of living is that Swiss teams PAY FOR HOUSING AND TRANSPORT for imported pros!! =)

So it's irrelevant.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM
BoNeS42

Quote:

Well, at first, if you read again, I was stating something, then asking a question that you obviously didn't know the answer.

And no, even if you make around 300k + you still feel like the cost of living is high up there, but there's many other reason why it's good to be there so it's worth it.

This is a topic about Glen Metropolit, not a thread about the cost of living in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
To add... more important than the relative cost of living is that Swiss teams PAY FOR HOUSING AND TRANSPORT for imported pros!! =)

So it's irrelevant.
Thank you, that was my question and you answered it. Any idea about the schooling for the kids?

Old
08-03-2010, 10:20 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Well, at first, if you read again, I was stating something, then asking a question that you obviously didn't know the answer.

And no, even if you make around 300k + you still feel like the cost of living is high up there, but there's many other reason why it's good to be there so it's worth it.

This is a topic about Glen Metropolit, not a thread about the cost of living in Europe.
this is not about the cost of living in Europe, but the cost of living in the city and country that Metro signed in. Perhaps you are unaware, but the cost of living around Europe is not the same in each country.

Even if housing was not covered, an extra 20-30 K in rent or what have you is washed-out with the very low taxes in Switzerland.

People who make a lot of money are not concerned about the cost of living in a city for a temporary amount of time - they are more concerned about how much taxes they will have to pay.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Thank you, that was my question and you answered it. Any idea about the schooling for the kids?
No idea, I am sure it was part of the negotiations.

Old
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
koh19

I'd say that somebody takes care of everything for him, finding an american school for the kids, etc....

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 01:08 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Zürich is a big and international city, which is approximately in 25 km / 15 miles distance to Zug. Metropolit will find proper schools there for sure, perhaps even in Zug. He has been to Switzerland before (albeit to the Italian-speaking part), so we should not be too worried about him.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Ketzlaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I'm sure he could have had an NHL job somewhere, problem wants to take it easier in Switzerland. Plus he doesn't have the greatest job security in the NHL as he always seems to being moved from team to team via waivers or trades or whatever. He'd probably much rather chill here for 2 years:

But anyways, I wish Glen luck in the NLA and thank him for being a trooper (and PP Gretzky might I add) for us!

If that is Zug, Metro's choice was extremely easy. Playing pro-hockey in that setting is better than splitting the games between the 4th line and the rafters. At 36, I choose Zug.

Good luck Glen. I always liked your style and passion for the game. Before leaving, please teach Kostitsyn and Pouliot the fundamentals of puck possession. Peace.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:46 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...862/story.html

Nice article about Metro, very classy guy.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:59 AM
NewBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post

Very classy indeed. I'll definitely try to go see him play in Switzerland this winter.

NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
Loved him, great guy, hope he does great out in Switzerland !
He's been in Switzerland before and was a star over here. I'm sure he'll be one again.
I'm just sad he didn't come to my favorite club.

SwissButch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:33 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post

I laughed at the first sentence in that article..............

"No more chipping the puck in when I get to centre ice,"

What a great experience though for his kids.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:56 AM
King peZ
Where's my Cup?

Metropolit has no regrets

I was reading this article and found it great.

http://www.canada.com/sports/Metropo...862/story.html

Classy guy Metro hopefully he gets big minutes and big numbers in Switzerland. Good luck.

King peZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:07 AM
King peZ
Where's my Cup?

Sorry I just noticed this was already posted in another thread... :X

King peZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
RussCourtnallsGhost

******* I love the Glenner.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Wow. Pretty much said everything that we'd wanna hear. Always liked Metro from his first game as a hab.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote