HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Next Summer Free Agency

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
  #51
Agalloch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
I have a strong feeling that if anything, they will send Eller to the AHL to get used to play as a winger for a couple of games then move him back up. We have Gomez and Plekanec at center and none of them will be moved or is likely to be moved.

If anything that would make Eller a more complete player. But man, that 3rd line you said makes me drool, I wish that would work lol
I don't think it's going to happen. If Eller becomes a better scorer than one or both of them, he will play with better players. Who cares if Gomez or Plekanec becomes a '3rd' line center ?

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:41 AM
  #52
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
It will be a shoping defensemen summer for the Habs with possibly Gill and Hamrlik gone, the Habs has the replace them...

Here's the list of the UFA defensemen...
http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...ion=D&FAType=2
If Gill is still in good shape and gives us another year like he just did (playoffs ), I would sign him for another year. He brings great leadership and as key to our playoff run. Amazing PK defenseman. One of the best in the league and very useful for the playoffs.

One Hamrlik gone, we need a good 2-way right defenseman to play with Markov at around 4-4.5M next summer.

Next year (2011-12):
Markov - ?
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Following year (2012-13):
Hopefuly Tinordi is ready to play with Suban and replace Spacek.
Find a replacement for Gill.

It could allow us to let go AK and upgrade is 3.25M to get a 5M big forward...like Backes!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
  #53
92Rahman
Registered User
 
92Rahman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
i dont know why people seem to forget we have ryan o'byrne ... when he does play he seems to one of our most agressive defenseman by hitting and even occasionally dropping the glove to protect his teammates ... i dont see what hes doing wrong ..in the playoffs he did nothing that hurt our team , instead helping us by hitting opposing player yet he was still benched. It seems no one sees O'Byrne the same way after he scored that goal in his own net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
If Gill is still in good shape and gives us another year like he just did (playoffs ), I would sign him for another year. He brings great leadership and as key to our playoff run. Amazing PK defenseman. One of the best in the league and very useful for the playoffs.

One Hamrlik gone, we need a good 2-way right defenseman to play with Markov at around 4-4.5M next summer.

Next year (2011-12):
Markov - ?
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Following year (2012-13):
Hopefuly Tinordi is ready to play with Suban and replace Spacek.
Find a replacement for Gill.

It could allow us to let go AK and upgrade is 3.25M to get a 5M big forward...like Backes!

92Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:51 AM
  #54
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Rahman View Post
i dont know why people seem to forget we have ryan o'byrne ... when he does play he seems to one of our most agressive defenseman by hitting and even occasionally dropping the glove to protect his teammates ... i dont see what hes doing wrong ..in the playoffs he did nothing that hurt our team , instead helping us by hitting opposing player yet he was still benched. It seems no one sees O'Byrne the same way after he scored that goal in his own net
He did so-so this year. Made many mistakes, just like any young player but also made some good plays. Let the people some time to adjust, last year the media tried to ride him out of town.

Btw, don't show your avatar to Andrei Kostitsyn before a game lol

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:52 AM
  #55
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
If Gill is still in good shape and gives us another year like he just did (playoffs ), I would sign him for another year. He brings great leadership and as key to our playoff run. Amazing PK defenseman. One of the best in the league and very useful for the playoffs.

One Hamrlik gone, we need a good 2-way right defenseman to play with Markov at around 4-4.5M next summer.

Next year (2011-12):
Markov - ?
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Following year (2012-13):
Hopefuly Tinordi is ready to play with Suban and replace Spacek.
Find a replacement for Gill.

It could allow us to let go AK and upgrade is 3.25M to get a 5M big forward...like Backes!
I agree with the bolded part. From what I understand, Gill has provided strong leadership to the team. He's been protective of Price, has been arguing with Gomez (lol) and has developed a mentor-student relationship with Gorges. If he does well this season, I'd like to see him offered another contract for 1 year. Plus, who knows, maybe the guy has the qualities to become a coach for the defense.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
  #56
92Rahman
Registered User
 
92Rahman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
He did so-so this year. Made many mistakes, just like any young player but also made some good plays. Let the people some time to adjust, last year the media tried to ride him out of town.

Btw, don't show your avatar to Andrei Kostitsyn before a game lol
lol why not ?

true but he isnt really being given a full opportunity, it seems he's benched always after the second game he isnt being given time to adjust ?

92Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
  #57
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Rahman View Post
i dont know why people seem to forget we have ryan o'byrne ... when he does play he seems to one of our most agressive defenseman by hitting and even occasionally dropping the glove to protect his teammates ... i dont see what hes doing wrong ..in the playoffs he did nothing that hurt our team , instead helping us by hitting opposing player yet he was still benched. It seems no one sees O'Byrne the same way after he scored that goal in his own net
I like Obyrne but I have a hard time fiting him in our top 6. He's a great number 7.

I don't see him as a top 4 for a contending team. And we have Gorges and Gill as a great 3rd pair for now. Where to put him? Replacement for Gill next year when Gill's contract is up? But I like what Gill brings in the playoffs...

I just have a hard time fiting him in our lineup. Then again, there are always injuries to NHL defensemen with all those hits and shot blocks and one is almost always on IR during the year, so he's a great number 7 that can get to play often and be able to play those kind of minutes.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
  #58
92Rahman
Registered User
 
92Rahman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I like Obyrne but I have a hard time fiting him in our top 6. He's a great number 7.

I don't see him as a top 4 for a contending team. And we have Gorges and Gill as a great 3rd pair for now. Where to put him? Replacement for Gill next year when Gill's contract is up? But I like what Gill brings in the playoffs...

I just have a hard time fiting him in our lineup. Then again, there are always injuries to NHL defensemen with all those hits and shot blocks and one is almost always on IR during the year, so he's a great number 7 that can get to play often and be able to play those kind of minutes.

im not sure the habs have much hope on Obyrne left though, they're bringing in more defenseman like picard and kluberstanz that can also play ... im not sure where obyrne fits in this organisation but he can perform pretty good playing his role

92Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
  #59
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,859
vCash: 1340
Chara would be my #1 target, but no way Boston lets him walk.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:31 AM
  #60
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Well, I'd rather not get too excited about signing him rather then cry because we didn't sign him come july 1st. That's what I'm looking at right now :

Gomez / Gionta / Pouliot Breakout year or UFA (That's 12.3 millions without the 3rd player, depending on Pouliot, I put 16millions for that line. That means Pouliot has a great season and we don't have to look for a solid FA for more then 5+)

Cammalleri / Plekanec / Kostitsyn or UFA ( 11millions without counting Kostitsyn. If Kostitsyn is still a Habs by the end of the season, it's because he did well and will get around 5, if not, we gotta look for a UFA because we have no one really ready to step in. )

We're at 32 millions with 6 players already. Now add Eller and Moen for 2.7 millions.

Now take a look at the defense.

Markov if resigned will be for around 5.5
Spacek is 3.8
Subban 875k
Gorges will make around 3.5

I like Gorges but 3.5 seems high.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:35 AM
  #61
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
I like Gorges but 3.5 seems high.
Well I was simply thinking... You want to keep him for the long run. You want to make sure he's not tempted to reach his UFA status.

It might seem like a lot of money, but compared to Spacek/Hamrlik, is it really that much for a guy like him?

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
  #62
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Well I was simply thinking... You want to keep him for the long run. You want to make sure he's not tempted to reach his UFA status.

It might seem like a lot of money, but compared to Spacek/Hamrlik, is it really that much for a guy like him?
Spacek and Hamrlik both had the potential to put up points in the 30-50 range. Gorges does not. Gorges is pretty under-sized too.

4 years at 2.75m is my limit in both term and pay.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:46 AM
  #63
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Well I was simply thinking... You want to keep him for the long run. You want to make sure he's not tempted to reach his UFA status.

It might seem like a lot of money, but compared to Spacek/Hamrlik, is it really that much for a guy like him?
Gomez almost looks like a good deal when u compare him to Hamr and Spacek

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
  #64
walsy37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Quick question - earlier in the thread people kept mentioning that AK was a RFA. I thought he was a UFA after this year?

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
  #65
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Quick question - earlier in the thread people kept mentioning that AK was a RFA. I thought he was a UFA after this year?
He will be a restricted free agent.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
  #66
Kebekoi
Registered User
 
Kebekoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Matane, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
He will be a restricted free agent.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2
I just saw Picard's status next year from CapGeek : RFA.

How could he be RFA when he was labeled as UFA last 2 years?

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:15 PM
  #67
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
I just saw Picard's status next year from CapGeek : RFA.

How could he be RFA when he was labeled as UFA last 2 years?
I'm not a specialist, but from what I can see, he didn't get a QO hence why he was signed as UFA, but is still eligible to be RFA after this year contract.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
  #68
Kebekoi
Registered User
 
Kebekoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Matane, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
I'm not a specialist, but from what I can see, he didn't get a QO hence why he was signed as UFA, but is still eligible to be RFA after this year contract.
Similar situation like Boyd?

This is confusing

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:22 PM
  #69
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Other than Avtsin, Pacioretty and Desharnais, is there anybody else in Hamilton capable of cracking our forward lineup next year? I assume White will make it this year. I also don't see Desharnais making it with the Habs if Plekanec, Gomez and Eller are the top 3 centers of this team. He's too small. Maybe if he shifts to wing, he can be a Gionta?

I really don't mind Pacioretty - Eller - Avtsin as a 3rd line. It gives us a great young trio that can develop chemistry for years to come. Plekanec - Cammalleri and Gomez - Gionta are the pairs on the other scoring lines. Then we have Pouliot and I believe Kostitsyn will be let go after this season. So to me we'll have one top 6 position open (Kostitsyn's) and a great top 9 if we can fill that player with a bonafide power forward.

Boyd, White, Pyatt and Moen on the 4th+.

Our focus though has to be on building our defence like Chicago if we're serious about a Cup. It has to be the #1 priority. No matter what goalie we have, that D will take care of him. Markov, Subban and Gorges are the core on D. In two years, Tinordi should be ready to get a couple of games with the big club. Gill, while not part of the core, gives us such a penalty killing and leadership presence it's hard to let him go. His game isn't based on speed. I don't see him losing a step for the next 3 years as long as he can remain healthy. In two years, I don't know where O'Byrne will fit in. He looks like a Gill without the shot blocking.

So in two years we have one forward and 2-3 defensemen to look for. These D have to be physical, big body players who are scary to play against. With Gill, Tinordi and two of those guys complementing Markov, Subban and Gorges, we'll be pretty set on D. The question is finding them. Who's UFA and available next summer that fits this description? Markov is Keith, Subban is Campbell, Gorges is Hjalmarsson.

Unfortunately then I don't see Desharnais, Weber and Carle here. While they are decent players, we have players lacking size already in their positions. We have to complement what we currently have with bigger guys. As much as size doesn't matter but heart does, granted, but if you're a smaller team and you're bruised enough, eventually you'll run out of steam. That's what we saw against Philly. Bigger bodies can take those hits. You need heart and size.

Get researching guys!


Last edited by Ginu: 08-03-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:23 PM
  #70
habsprospects
Irresponsible User
 
habsprospects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
I'm not a specialist, but from what I can see, he didn't get a QO hence why he was signed as UFA, but is still eligible to be RFA after this year contract.
You are right.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 01:07 PM
  #71
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Similar situation like Boyd?

This is confusing
its "simple"


As of 2008, any player who is at least 27 years old or has at least seven years of service as an NHL player, and whose contract has expired, can declare himself an UFA

if an RFA doesnt recieve an Qualifying offer, he becomes UFA for the next season (Boyd and Picard)

Picard isnt UFA next year, because he is 25 and played 3 seasons (40+ games)
Boyd is 24 and 3 seasons played

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:12 PM
  #72
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Other than Avtsin, Pacioretty and Desharnais, is there anybody else in Hamilton capable of cracking our forward lineup next year? I assume White will make it this year. I also don't see Desharnais making it with the Habs if Plekanec, Gomez and Eller are the top 3 centers of this team. He's too small. Maybe if he shifts to wing, he can be a Gionta?

I really don't mind Pacioretty - Eller - Avtsin as a 3rd line. It gives us a great young trio that can develop chemistry for years to come. Plekanec - Cammalleri and Gomez - Gionta are the pairs on the other scoring lines. Then we have Pouliot and I believe Kostitsyn will be let go after this season. So to me we'll have one top 6 position open (Kostitsyn's) and a great top 9 if we can fill that player with a bonafide power forward.

Boyd, White, Pyatt and Moen on the 4th+.

Our focus though has to be on building our defence like Chicago if we're serious about a Cup. It has to be the #1 priority. No matter what goalie we have, that D will take care of him. Markov, Subban and Gorges are the core on D. In two years, Tinordi should be ready to get a couple of games with the big club. Gill, while not part of the core, gives us such a penalty killing and leadership presence it's hard to let him go. His game isn't based on speed. I don't see him losing a step for the next 3 years as long as he can remain healthy. In two years, I don't know where O'Byrne will fit in. He looks like a Gill without the shot blocking.

So in two years we have one forward and 2-3 defensemen to look for. These D have to be physical, big body players who are scary to play against. With Gill, Tinordi and two of those guys complementing Markov, Subban and Gorges, we'll be pretty set on D. The question is finding them. Who's UFA and available next summer that fits this description? Markov is Keith, Subban is Campbell, Gorges is Hjalmarsson.

Unfortunately then I don't see Desharnais, Weber and Carle here. While they are decent players, we have players lacking size already in their positions. We have to complement what we currently have with bigger guys. As much as size doesn't matter but heart does, granted, but if you're a smaller team and you're bruised enough, eventually you'll run out of steam. That's what we saw against Philly. Bigger bodies can take those hits. You need heart and size.

Get researching guys!
I want David backes who is a UFA next summer

He will be 27 years old, 6'3" 220 lbs and potential 30 goal scorer. 5th in NHL last year with 266 hits

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
  #73
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I want David backes who is a UFA next summer

He will be 27 years old, 6'3" 220 lbs and potential 30 goal scorer. 5th in NHL last year with 266 hits
And IIRC, he's a RH shot which is also lacking in our top 6

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:11 PM
  #74
Kebekoi
Registered User
 
Kebekoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Matane, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
its "simple"


As of 2008, any player who is at least 27 years old or has at least seven years of service as an NHL player, and whose contract has expired, can declare himself an UFA

if an RFA doesnt recieve an Qualifying offer, he becomes UFA for the next season (Boyd and Picard)

Picard isnt UFA next year, because he is 25 and played 3 seasons (40+ games)
Boyd is 24 and 3 seasons played
Thank you.

I thought that Picard was older/had more NHL tenure.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:11 PM
  #75
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,486
vCash: 400
Next year:

Markov-OByrne
Pitkanen-Subban
Spacek-Gorges


That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.