HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC Live on Versus 2: Jones vs. Matyushenko

Old
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I would have no problem picking Franklin or Forrest over Jones, and they should be the favourite in both fights.

I've seen this insane hype train too many times (Anthony Johnson and Mousasi are great examples) where fighters beat up on mid-tier fighters and get praised as the second coming of Jesus only to get stopped hard by a top 10 guy.
While I'm on the bandwagon, I can't recall if Jones's chin has been tested yet.

Now, mind you, it's pretty tough to get inside with his massive reach, but it's still something to consider once we start looking at rhetorical matchups with the top-205ers--most of whom are elite level strikers.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:55 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I would have no problem picking Franklin or Forrest over Jones, and they should be the favourite in both fights.

I've seen this insane hype train too many times (Anthony Johnson and Mousasi are great examples) where fighters beat up on mid-tier fighters and get praised as the second coming of Jesus only to get stopped hard by a top 10 guy.
Fair enough, but sometimes the hype is warranted and all the top guys have to start somewhere. I think it's foolish to jump on the hype train every time, but to never really believe in up-and-coming guys is a bit naive. You mention Mousasi, but the guy who showed him up recently was someone who has just as much hype, King Mo.

I also would be very surprised if Jones wasn't the favorite in fights over either Griffin or Franklin at this point. I think he'd be the favorite on betting lines and with MMA fans/analysts.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post

Now, mind you, it's pretty tough to get inside with his massive reach, but it's still something to consider once we start looking at rhetorical matchups with the top-205ers--most of whom are elite level strikers.
The chin is one thing, especially with guys who have power like Rampage or even Shogun at the top of the division. Even guys with very good chins are going to get clocked if they get hit flush by one of those guys. The UFC has done a good job protecting him from elite strikers so far.

I think he still has some work to do on the ground in terms of BJJ, and he'll be the first to say it too. There aren't as many guys who rely on their BJJ at 205, but I think he runs the risk of getting subbed if he's sloppy on the ground.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 01:40 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post

I think Rampage would be a good matchup against Jones in order to test that. Rampage isn't easy to KO, has great takedown defense and could test his chin. The Machida/Rampage fight is really stupid in my opinion. Franklin, Nog or Bader are all more interesting matchups for Machida.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote