HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pronger to miss start of camp; opener in question

Old
08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
qwertysac

vCash: 500
Pronger to miss start of camp; opener in question

?

This came out of nowhere ... RDS is reporting that Chris pronger had knee surgery last week, but that he should be ready to go when training camp rolls around.

Is this legit? i mean, rds is a pretty reliable site, but i find it weird that i haven't heard anything about it from anywhere else.

Here's the link (french article)

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/303744.html

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:01 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
?

This came out of nowhere ... RDS is reporting that Chris pronger had knee surgery last week, but that he should be ready to go when training camp rolls around.

Is this legit? i mean, rds is a pretty reliable site, but i find it weird that i haven't heard anything about it from anywhere else.

Here's the link (french article)

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/303744.html
Yes it's legit. Timmy P and Sarah Baicker are reporting that Pronger had arthroscopic knee surgery and is fine. He should be on schedule to be at training camp.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Yes it's legit. Timmy P and Sarah Baicker are reporting that Pronger had arthroscopic knee surgery and is fine. He should be on schedule to be at training camp.
And apparently Tim P named his cat Pronger and it keeps biting him.

I hate following him on twitter.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
qwertysac

Thanks for confirming it, Irish

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Maybe why he wasn't playing as well in the finals?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
And apparently Tim P named his cat Pronger and it keeps biting him.

I hate following him on twitter.
I don't do twitter (I refuse to follow anyone), so please let me know when the cat eats him.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:17 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I don't do twitter (I refuse to follow anyone), so please let me know when the cat eats him.
I know there is that lame stigma to it, but twitter is great for sports updates. Thats where I get all my sports news, I barely check espn.com or anything anymore.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

In an interview Holmgren said he is stacking the D because last year they got away with no long term injuries to Pronger and Timonen. He said he doesn't expect that good fortune this year or that it is unlikely both of our anchors are as durable.
Hopefully, with Pronger this is just a routine clean up and nothing substantial like a Hatcher who might as well have played with a prosthetic....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
CTU2fan

Well, nice to see it's not a big deal, now that I need to change my pants after reading the thread title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I know there is that lame stigma to it, but twitter is great for sports updates. Thats where I get all my sports news, I barely check espn.com or anything anymore.
It really is. We were hooking up grids at the deadline with all the good follows on it and refreshing like madmen.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Thanks for confirming it, Irish
no probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
it's great for news and sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
In an interview Holmgren said he is stacking the D because last year they got away with no long term injuries to Pronger and Timonen. He said he doesn't expect that good fortune this year or that it is unlikely both of our anchors are as durable.
Hopefully, with Pronger this is just a routine clean up and nothing substantial like a Hatcher who might as well have played with a prosthetic....
Homer has a point, but Matt Walker is not exactly what I had in mind ...

Old
08-03-2010, 02:30 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Carcillo also had abdominal surgery.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:26 PM
MsWoof

Why did he wait so long to have surgery, unless it's something that just happened. Seems a bit odd.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Why did he wait so long to have surgery, unless it's something that just happened. Seems a bit odd.
Maybe it was not to serious, and it could have went away on its own with time off? Then as time passed he was left with a decision; have surgery now, or continue to wait until the last minute to have surgery, where the time of recovery would get him back before camp.

Personally I would also wait to have any surgery if it is not necessary.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:27 PM
jb**

Quote:
my guess is he wanted to enjoy the summer, vacation with family and what not. Then get the surgery and be ready for camp either way or miss a little camp time.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 06:33 PM
mypunkrock

I fear Pronger pulling a Hatcher is 2 years.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Homer does have a point, but the likelihood of those players continually being in situations that would wear them down to the point that we need three more defensemen before August even rolls around decreases by, like, 99.7% with Laviolette (a real coach) behind the bench.

Stevens put us in do-or-die mode last year, and to figure we could be there by December again any time over the next few years just adds to the ass backwards reasoning Holmgren's got. This team was too good to be in that position then, and they were too good heading into this offseason. Another plate of Holmgren's home cooked fails as far as I'm concerned.

As for Pronger, I'm not worried. They said "arthroscopic knee surgery" but they really meant "getting oiled up," because the man's a ****ing robot.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:52 PM
rban*

Quote:
no probs

it's great for news and sports

I think Coburn Carle and Mesz will provide it. Timo and Prongs are both ageing, so yeah he does have a point.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
It's not uncommon to wait a while. Sometime you need to wait for internal swelling to go down. Other times you dont realize how bad it is until you stop playing and the pain doesnt go away. These guys have some many nagging injuries in the playoffs that he might have just thought he was sore until a month of summer went by and he was still feeling it. Its not like it was anything torn or serious, just cleaning out all the loose crap it seems like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I fear Pronger pulling a Hatcher is 2 years.
On an unrelated note, I saw Hatcher in best buy about a week or two ago and he has a walking cane! Yes I am being serious.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:01 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
It's not uncommon to wait a while. Sometime you need to wait for internal swelling to go down. Other times you dont realize how bad it is until you stop playing and the pain doesnt go away. These guys have some many nagging injuries in the playoffs that he might have just thought he was sore until a month of summer went by and he was still feeling it. Its not like it was anything torn or serious, just cleaning out all the loose crap it seems like.

On an unrelated note, I saw Hatcher in best buy about a week or two ago and he has a walking cane! Yes I am being serious.
That is pretty sad. One of my ex's lived near Keith Primeau and I don't think I ever saw him not wearing sun glasses and then a year later I saw a piece about him (on CSN I am assuming) that said that he is super super sensitive to sun light and can't do any strenuous exercise or else he gets massive migraines that make him sick due to the concussions.

Sometimes it is easy to forget retired players and how the rest of their lives are affected by their careers.

Still... I am sure they are using 100 dollar bills to wipe the tears from their cheeks every night.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Don't be fooled. That's his pimp cane.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom
Did it look like Crosby's skull and spinal column?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Rick Deckard

CSN Philly

Quote:
"I hope to be in the lineup on October 7, but it is still very early on in the process to begin guessing on a timeframe," Pronger said. "A lot can happen over the next few weeks and months, but absolutely that is one of the goals."

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Unbelievable. He was injured 6 games in

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Don't be fooled. That's his pimp cane.

If I remember correctly, Hatcher has pretty much lost all the cartilage in one of his knees, and was getting cortisone shots for pain and inflammation because it was basically bone on bone, which is painful, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
That is pretty sad. One of my ex's lived near Keith Primeau and I don't think I ever saw him not wearing sun glasses and then a year later I saw a piece about him (on CSN I am assuming) that said that he is super super sensitive to sun light and can't do any strenuous exercise or else he gets massive migraines that make him sick due to the concussions.

Sometimes it is easy to forget retired players and how the rest of their lives are affected by their careers.

Still... I am sure they are using 100 dollar bills to wipe the tears from their cheeks every night.
Yeah they get paid a lot for what they do, but darn, some of these NFL guys dying at 47 is straight depressing.

Old
08-11-2010, 03:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well like I mentioned up thread Holmgren stacked the D in the event Pronger and maybe Timonen have nagging injuries throughout the year which he figured was likely. Yeah I guess so when one of them suffered an injury wayyyyy back in the 2nd round! Good prognosticating Nostraholmgren!

Pronger SHOULD NOT be rushed back. Too bad with how management has dealt with injuries and how they obfuscate ...I'm sure we'll get some kind of soap opera it's almost a given.

Quote:
Pronger was asked when he thought his knee would be 100 percent. “I do not have a time frame. The team knows that. I spoke to the doctor and trainer and it is really just about when my knee feels good and strong again. I don’t want to come back early and play a couple of games and then be out of the lineup and then play a few more and be out. I want to come back when the knee is as close to 100 percent as possible so I can play every single game from then on.”

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz0wKYvOmIN
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote