HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Georges Laraque with the Green Party as the vice-leader.

Old
08-03-2010, 01:05 AM
macavoy

vCash: 500

I've never seen this posted but I came across it when I was in the Lightning forum in an article about Stevie Y.

I'm not that great at french, but here he looks like he does something without actually butchering it for a change.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

Laraque =

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Joe Cole

My 2 cents, I just do not like the way he flip flopped.
One day, he is fine with signing a contract even if he knows he is physically unable to deliver on that contract.
Next day he says that he still wants to fight, but the coach will not let him.
The day after, he says I am done with hockey and going into politics. Fighting is a bad example for children.

So, are you a person who hides the truth, gets into a contract with people, accepts the cash, takes behind the back of your partner, then says what he has done for the past 15 years is bad for children.

He stinks of hypocrisy. He is perfect for politics.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Joe Cole

The facts, he said to on CKAC to JC Lajoie 3 weeks ago that he was still willing and enjoyed to fight and protect his team mates.

Now he says it is a bad influence on kids.

Old
08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

My 2 cents on Laraque.

I think it's he story of a guy who, during the past few years, gains a few "convictions" or beliefs that are really driving the way he acts. In daily life, he's more and more engaged against violence, especially against animals, and has a very "pro-peace" philosophy. On the ice, it completely changed the way he fighted because he started using some kind of "code of honor" : never fight against someone who doesn't want to, and never hit hard enough to hurt someone. It basically made him useless as en enforcer.

But I really respect someone who has strong convictions and opinions and who defends them. I'm not a vegan and I love meats, but if he wants to be publicly involved to promote veganism, I applaud.

But I got one worry : I just hope these "beliefs" are not religiously motivated. I heard him talk about "God" once, and I hope he's not too involved in those born again, evangelical haitian churches that are proliferating in Montreal. Because if his actions are done in the name of God, they lose all their credibility in my mind. They would not be motivated by a reasonable will to make the world a better place, but simply on faith.

Another thing I'd like to add : Apart from the exposure it gives to the Green Party in Quebec, it may not be a good move on the long term. When you see Laraque with the Greens, you think : "Green = Vegans", or "Greens = Animals defense movement". This is not association that the Greens should seek! In fact, many ecologists are against veganism and are promoting moderate hunting as a way to balance the biodiversity. (See : Louis-Gilles Francoeur) I think it's not in the Green Party's interest to be seen in the same category than radical activists like Paul Watson or Brigitte Bardot. They should really stick to their fight against pollution and for green energy. Veganism is something marginal, and the party will stay maginal if they climb in that train.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
So it seems he changed his mind.

I am OK with someone who is not perfect. I think it is part of the human condition.
Someone who does not own the truth forever.

I am perfectly comfortable with someone who does change his mind after carefull toughts.

I am ok with someone who changes his mind too.

But you have to make a distinction between changing your mind, and flip flopping.

An evolution of thought is something that takes time. An idea has to be planted, germinate... you have to think about it. It is a process. Then you come around to another way of thinking.

If you just change your opinion from one day to the next, then your opinion was not really founded in deep convictions and is not really worth much.

And if you are going into politics, especially fringe politics like the Green Party, if your opinions are based on a simple "light switch" change of opinion...then you are what you are, just another paper thin useless politician, in for the short term gain.

So, George, good for you. But from where I stand, I think you are a person who changes direction way too easily, and not someone I would want to vote for.

And for people who just forgive and forget, you get what you get. You can live that way, but you are always being taken advantage of.

Old
08-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
The facts, he said to on CKAC to JC Lajoie 3 weeks ago that he was still willing and enjoyed to fight and protect his team mates.

Now he says it is a bad influence on kids.
That's because he wants friends.

It reminds me of Dave Morrisette. When journalist started their campain against fighting in the Q(following what happened with J. Roy) he was all behind it because he didn't want to be all alone fighting on the other side. And these days he's not neven at CKAC Sport, he was hired in a non-sport radio show in entertainment.

You become a politician when you want to be accepted. Because you want friends. It's all image.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:23 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Wow, he became a leader quick.

Captain material.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote