HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kitchener Rangers Off-Season Thread

Old
07-14-2010, 10:34 PM
dafranchz

vCash: 500
I had a chance to talk with Jeff Skinner a couple hours ago. You can hear the interview here.

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 07:35 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafranchz View Post
I had a chance to talk with Jeff Skinner a couple hours ago. You can hear the interview here.
Thanks for posting these!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:33 AM
JeffYear92*

We need to Sign Matia and Tomas Rieder.

Come on Spott get on it.

Who should we target regarding defense?

Maggio is a guy who's been talked about but any other guys.

We need a vet for sure.

I hope Spotter is wheeling and dealing.

Am I the only one who doesnt want Mas to be back?

I would much rather a d-man as an OA spot

I guess we have to pray Skinner and Morin come back.

Regardless, This team should be exciting to watch.

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:50 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I like Mascioli when he plays like he can and keeps his emotions in check. But I'd rather see a more skilled OA in his place, if it comes down to it.

Rieder has every intention of coming to Kitchener, it's just a paperwork thing I suspect. Mercantuoni's deal has been very, very quiet. Too quiet. I don't know if the kid/agent are asking for the sun and the stars or what the holdup is, but I'll feel better once it's announced that it's done.

A veteran defenseman has to be focus #1 for Spott. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him wait to see how Skinner and Morin shake out before making a deal. He may also be talking to Chicago and Carolina to get their thoughts on both players.

Is it September yet??

Old
07-27-2010, 12:52 AM
JeffYear92*

Am I the only who misses the electric crowd at the Aud?

Old
07-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I like Mascioli when he plays like he can and keeps his emotions in check. But I'd rather see a more skilled OA in his place, if it comes down to it.

Rieder has every intention of coming to Kitchener, it's just a paperwork thing I suspect. Mercantuoni's deal has been very, very quiet. Too quiet. I don't know if the kid/agent are asking for the sun and the stars or what the holdup is, but I'll feel better once it's announced that it's done.

A veteran defenseman has to be focus #1 for Spott. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him wait to see how Skinner and Morin shake out before making a deal. He may also be talking to Chicago and Carolina to get their thoughts on both players.

Is it September yet??
Just going by memory here but don't the Rangers make most of their big signing announcements in August?
I don't know if it's by design or not to generate some "buzz" just before the tickets goes on sale. I know that most of their No.1 picks were signed in Aug., ie: McGrath, Skinner are the two that immediatley comes to mind. Murphy last year was almost the day after the draft but with the Rangers missing the playoffs perhaps they never wanted to string the fans along.

^...of course that's just my theory and I'm not too worried.

ps....maybe due to salary cap ramifications that they need to hold off till August?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:44 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Just going by memory here but don't the Rangers make most of their big signing announcements in August?
I don't know if it's by design or not to generate some "buzz" just before the tickets goes on sale. I know that most of their No.1 picks were signed in Aug., ie: McGrath, Skinner are the two that immediatley comes to mind. Murphy last year was almost the day after the draft but with the Rangers missing the playoffs perhaps they never wanted to string the fans along.

^...of course that's just my theory and I'm not too worried.

ps....maybe due to salary cap ramifications that they need to hold off till August?
Wasn't camp started before McGrath was signed? I know it was a last minute kind of thing, same with Skinner. But you're right - there's time.

JeffYear92 - I'm very excited about the upcoming season, but I am enjoying the heck out of sitting on the deck with a cold drink on a Friday night after work! Once September hits, it'll be a different story.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:54 AM
JeffYear92*

JeffYear92 - I'm very excited about the upcoming season, but I am enjoying the heck out of sitting on the deck with a cold drink on a Friday night after work! Once September hits, it'll be a different story.[/QUOTE]

Pre drink before ranger games on your deck.

This weather should be nice until like October so still lots of drinking to go

Old
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYear92 View Post
Pre drink before ranger games on your deck.

This weather should be nice until like October so still lots of drinking to go
Sounds lovely but there simply isn't time. On a good day, I get home between 5:15 and 5:30, get changed, grab a quick bite, and it's out the door no later than 6:20.

I'm looking forward to next season, but I'm enjoying the hell out of summer for as long as I can!

Old
07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Who should we target regarding defense?

Maggio is a guy who's been talked about but any other guys.

We need a vet for sure.

I hope Spotter is wheeling and dealing.

Am I the only one who doesnt want Mas to be back?

I would much rather a d-man as an OA spot

I guess we have to pray Skinner and Morin come back.

Regardless, This team should be exciting to watch.

I'm betting that Spott waits at least until Morin and Skinner are returned before he makes any blockbuster deal to acquire a veteran d-man. That is, if he wants to make such a deal at all. Also, he'll also want to wait and see if Mayfield and/or Melchiori report as well. Those guys reporting could allow Spott to stand pat at least into November before making any deals on the backend. Maybe by November, we'll have no need to deal for help on the defense!

If the time comes, I'm hoping he fortifies our back end with one or two vets in the mold of a George Halkidis or a Ben Shutron as the Rangers did in '02/'03 and '07/'08 respectively. These guys were above average guys who played huge parts in our Memorial Cup runs but didn't cost us a king's ransom.

As far as the lunacy being discussed in the "Trade Block" thread about maybe going after one of Ellis/Fowler, I don't think we need either of those guys. In '08/'09, the Spits won a Memorial Cup with Ellis as their offensive quarterback. This season, Murphy will be the same age Ellis was in '08/'09 and there is every reason to believe that Murphy will become the Ellis of '08/'09. That being the case, we don't need an Ellis/Fowler type d-man. What we do need is one or two guys in the mold of a Dan Kelly or a Mark Cundari ... a couple shutdown types!

As far as Mazz goes, I'm a huge Mazz Fan. However, I was a huge Mike Amodeo fan as well but I understood the need to deal him in 2002 to make room for George Halkidis. I've no doubt that we'll see close to the same thing happen this year with Mazz. You know, he starts the season here but is moved on to make room for an OA d-man. Barring any catestrophic injuries (remember OA Marcus Smith), IMO, Akeson and Tipoff are our OAers at forward. They both have Memorial Cup experience and are more valuable offensively than Mazz is.

Hell, Spott and company aren't sleeping, we could pick up a decent tough guy for next to nothing (as Saginaw did picking up Kantor as a FA). We need toughness yes. But unless Mazz turns into Mike Angelidis this October, I don't see him here long term.

Too bad you know because after his '07/'08 season and playoff run on the line with Timmins and Mashinter, it looked like he had a future here as maybe a 25-30 goal 200PIM player.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
toquerasta

Quote:
Am I the only who misses the electric crowd at the Aud?
God no.

I miss the guy who sat near me always screaming stuff like "HIT THE REF!"

toquerasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:18 PM
EvenSteven

Of interest to Ranger fans:

Today, Steve Simmons was quoted on TSN's "The Reporters":

"The Chicago Blackhawks, if they sign Niemi (who was just awarded 2.7 per season in salary arbitration), they will be 3 million dollars plus over the cap with 18 players signed. They'll have 5 more players to sign (to get to the 23 man roster) and even if they sign the 5 at the minimum salary, they'll be 5 million plus over the cap." He goes on to say that they'll be forced to send Huet and his 4 million plus per year contract to the minors to get close to the cap.

With this in mind, I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the minimum NHL salary? I believe that it was 450,000 per season after the lock-out. I'm pretty sure it still is but I'm wondering if it rose along with the overall salary cap and floor over the years.

2) Has Morin signed an NHL contract yet and if so, what are the numbers? Was it at the minimum salary?

If Morin has signed, I'm sure it was for more than the minimum. If he has yet to sign, I'm sure he'll get much more than the minimum considering the season he had this year.

With this in mind, maybe Chicago's woes as far as the salary cap goes will work in the Rangers' favour since he'd be too expensive, even if by a few hundred thousand.

By the look of things, a hundred grand here and a hundred grand there is huge to getting in under the cap in the Windy City this year!

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Tigers1992

Simmons tweaked the roster spots to fill his argument. Why i dislike him as a reporter. Why report the facts when they do not agree with your vision for the article?

Chicago has been public stating that they will carry 20 skaters.

Minus Huets salary and a few players at minimum they will be fine.

Anyways...

Minimum is 450,000, Morin is signed for 977,500.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:53 PM
scokan

stumbled across a column written about the hurricanes, just thought I would post it here regarding Skinner
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-...s-why/56/29576

For the poster asking if Morin has signed yet...
according to capgeek he has signed a 3 year EL contract with the Hawks for
715k, 765k, 815k

scokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:49 AM
BenchedGuy

And so begins the work on our D.

RANGERS ACQUIRE SOL AND BRAUN - 8/3/2010
Rangers Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced that the team has acquired defensemen Cody Sol and Matt Braun from the Saginaw Spirit.

In acquiring Sol and Braun the Rangers send Micky Sartoretto, a 2nd round pick in 2011 and 3rd round pick in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection to the Spirit.

In 55 games played last season, Sol accumulated 15 points and 151 PIM's. He was selected in the fifth round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft by the Atlanta Thrashers (125th Overall).

Braun was a 2008 OHL Priority Selection of the Spirit, he played 11 games in the 2009-10 season.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
And so begins the work on our D.

RANGERS ACQUIRE SOL AND BRAUN - 8/3/2010
Rangers Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced that the team has acquired defensemen Cody Sol and Matt Braun from the Saginaw Spirit.

In acquiring Sol and Braun the Rangers send Micky Sartoretto, a 2nd round pick in 2011 and 3rd round pick in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection to the Spirit.

In 55 games played last season, Sol accumulated 15 points and 151 PIM's. He was selected in the fifth round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft by the Atlanta Thrashers (125th Overall).

Braun was a 2008 OHL Priority Selection of the Spirit, he played 11 games in the 2009-10 season.
Very nice move for Kitchener. Not an inexpensive one, but Cody Sol is just what is needed (I'm guessing this means that Mayfield is not reporting). I don't know a thing about Braun, so we'll wait and see what his inclusion in the deal means, I suppose.

Good luck in Saginaw, Micky.

Wait... what the heck is going on? Neither of the newest two Rangers have names ending in a vowel.

Old
08-03-2010, 11:25 AM
BenchedGuy

Havent decided if I like the move or not yet personally. Sol is exactly the grit we needed on the backend but at the expense of 2 high(er) picks and Sartoretto. Seems a bit of an overpayment but that not taking into account Braun which know nothing about.

Sol will complement some of our offensive D (Murphy, Fanelli..) with grit and size that we were lacking. Still expect to see Spott do some more moving and shaking this off season with some of our forwards and possibly 1 more move on D for a shutdown guy.

Old
08-03-2010, 01:33 PM
jughead42

I think its a solid deal for Kitchener. Sol will keep teams from pushing the Rangers around, something that happened a bit too much last year. I have no idea why Saginaw wants to make this deal, after they traded away last season to build for this season I don't know why they'd get rid of a tough veteran defenceman for picks. I'd be pretty cheesed if I was a Saginaw fan really.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I think its a solid deal for Kitchener. Sol will keep teams from pushing the Rangers around, something that happened a bit too much last year. I have no idea why Saginaw wants to make this deal, after they traded away last season to build for this season I don't know why they'd get rid of a tough veteran defenceman for picks. I'd be pretty cheesed if I was a Saginaw fan really.
Saginaw looking to "NEXT YEAR" already.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:20 PM
aresknights

From the Rangers fan site.

Read it and weep Hicks

RANGERS SIGN MELCHIORI - 8/3/2010

Kitchener Rangers Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced that the team has signed Julian Melchiori to an Ontario Hockey League contract with the Rangers.

Spott had this to say, "We are pleased that Julian and his family have decided to play in Kitchener. Julian has recognized that this decision was best for both his athletic and academic future. He can play in the best development league in the world (Canadian Hockey League) while at the same time attending a world class Canadian University. Julian's size and skill level will be a welcome addition to our blueline. We look forward to helping Julian achieve his goal of playing for the Atlanta Thrashers".

Melchiori, a 6'3", 186-pound defenseman, was a 3rd round pick (87th overall) of the Atlanta Thrashers at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He spent last season with the Newmarket Hurricanes of the Central Canadian Hockey League where he recorded seven goals and 23 points in 39 regular season games.

Julian Melchiori
Pronunciation: Julian Mel-key-or-E
Hometown: Richmond Hill, ON
Birthdate: December 6, 1991
Height: 6.03
Weight: 186 lbs
Position: Defenseman
Shoots: Left

2 Dman, 1 day. Rangers starting to put it together for a run. Whats next?

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
From the Rangers fan site.

Read it and weep Hicks

RANGERS SIGN MELCHIORI - 8/3/2010

Kitchener Rangers Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced that the team has signed Julian Melchiori to an Ontario Hockey League contract with the Rangers.

Spott had this to say, "We are pleased that Julian and his family have decided to play in Kitchener. Julian has recognized that this decision was best for both his athletic and academic future. He can play in the best development league in the world (Canadian Hockey League) while at the same time attending a world class Canadian University. Julian's size and skill level will be a welcome addition to our blueline. We look forward to helping Julian achieve his goal of playing for the Atlanta Thrashers".

Melchiori, a 6'3", 186-pound defenseman, was a 3rd round pick (87th overall) of the Atlanta Thrashers at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He spent last season with the Newmarket Hurricanes of the Central Canadian Hockey League where he recorded seven goals and 23 points in 39 regular season games.

Julian Melchiori
Pronunciation: Julian Mel-key-or-E
Hometown: Richmond Hill, ON
Birthdate: December 6, 1991
Height: 6.03
Weight: 186 lbs
Position: Defenseman
Shoots: Left

2 Dman, 1 day. Rangers starting to put it together for a run. Whats next?
Very nice day to be a Rangers fan!

The next step I hope is an upgrade to an OA.

Old
08-03-2010, 03:49 PM
BenchedGuy

With Melchiori and Sol, I dont see Mayfield coming this year unless more dealing is to be done with the D....in no particular pairings
Murphy is going nowhere,
Sol new acquisition
Jasper
Melchiori new acquisition
Fanelli here if healthy
Stevens, Morris and Lowry fighting for a spot
and then there is the new addition of McEneny

Lots of bodies for 7 spots.

Old
08-03-2010, 04:02 PM
JeffYear92*

Great Job Spotter.

Love the Saginaw deal.

Big, Physical dman who is strong in his own end.

Regarding Julian Melchiori; he reminds me of a John Moore but I think he is much better in his own end.

The likely hood now is that Mayfield will not come this year but maybe when he gets drafted next year, he will reconsider it.

This year should be exciting, still looking for the rangers to make more deals, a 18 or 19 year old forward with experience would be nice.

Old
08-03-2010, 04:14 PM
playthetrap*

That has to be a pretty depressing trade for Spirit fans but at the same time it fills a big need for Kitchener, not to mention getting Melichori. If Skinner is returned, this team has to be the team to beat in the O.

Saginaw in the past 13 months: Adam Comrie, TJ Brodie, Nick Crawford, and now Cody Sol are all quality defensemen who have been traded. To me, they are always going to be known as the Junior B team to the rest of the OHL.

playthetrap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 04:32 PM
jughead42

I agree Kitchener looks like the team to beat, but so much will depend on the guys who may or may not stick in the NHL. Skinner getting picked so early has to be somewhat bittersweet, as he's far more likely to stick going to one of the lesser NHL teams. I would imagine that's the elephant in the room for Kitchener fans. If he comes back they are for sure the team to beat, if he doesn't they'll still be solid but not as terrifying for other teams.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote