HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville still needs... - What do you think the final piece to the roster is?

Old
07-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Eks says were going after Cogliano and Stepniak. I can dig it.
please god no to Stempniak ...

I think he's more of a 68 (17) goal scorer in 294 games as opposed to the 28 in 82 he put up last season

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Where do they fit in? Who are they upgrades over? I'd love to continue stockpiling talent, but at some point we've gotta whittle everyone down to a 23 man opening night roster and you cannot forget that we HAVE to have some role players in the lineup...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:08 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Where would Cogliano play? Hell, where would Stempniak play for that matter?

We would have to trade at least two forwards expected to be on the roster to facilitate those acquisitions. Even then, it's pretty much shuffling chairs in the mess hall of an aircraft carrier.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:13 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

He said O'sullivan to but didnt O'sullivan just go to the yotes?

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
He said O'sullivan to but didnt O'sullivan just go to the yotes?
Yeah, he was traded for Vandermeer, but was promptly bought out. He is a UFA.

Old
07-26-2010, 01:09 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Makes sense....out of those 3 players though id take Cogliano first. I dont think we need any of them unless we traded someone

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:56 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
Makes sense....out of those 3 players though id take Cogliano first. I dont think we need any of them unless we traded someone
It would have to be through a trade. Cogs and Steps aren't free agents.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
It would have to be through a trade. Cogs and Steps aren't free agents.
Cogliano is an RFA likely at an impass with Edmonton regarding a raise and without arbitration rights, but Stempniak is a UFA after refusing to take Phoenix's offers leading up to July 1st and now finding no market anywhere for his asking price.

While Stempniak is more of a shoot first type of guy, which is needed in our lineup, both he and Cogliano are wildly inconsistent and IMO we can do without.

Also have to remember we are at the 50 contract limit right now, but have three ELC's eligible to slide this year opening up the possibility of adding 3 more contracts for this season.

Old
07-26-2010, 06:40 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Cogliano is an RFA likely at an impass with Edmonton regarding a raise and without arbitration rights, but Stempniak is a UFA after refusing to take Phoenix's offers leading up to July 1st and now finding no market anywhere for his asking price.

While Stempniak is more of a shoot first type of guy, which is needed in our lineup, both he and Cogliano are wildly inconsistent and IMO we can do without.

Also have to remember we are at the 50 contract limit right now, but have three ELC's eligible to slide this year opening up the possibility of adding 3 more contracts for this season.
oh, whoops.......

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
We also have five RFAs (Franson, Santorelli, Hornqvist, Parent, Dekanich) to sign, so a deal could be forthcoming, even if it's just for picks and prospects. If Santorelli wants a one-way deal, I suspect he'll be shown the door.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We also have five RFAs (Franson, Santorelli, Hornqvist, Parent, Dekanich) to sign, so a deal could be forthcoming, even if it's just for picks and prospects. If Santorelli wants a one-way deal, I suspect he'll be shown the door.
We're at 50 with all of our qualified RFA's accounted for. It's actually the reserve list, by making a qualifying offer, we retain rights to that player and in doing so commit them to a spot on our reserve list. Dietrich was qualified to keep his rights. He then signed in Germany for three seasons, but in order to keep his rights he's on the list...

Old
07-26-2010, 02:05 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
I have always thought Nashville and Vancouver could be great trading partners. Both teams have an abundance of the type of player the other team needs. Neither wants to part with those players, but if they would, both teams would be a better team for it. Nashville's strength is in the area of top 4 defensemen. Vancouver's strength is in the area of top 6 forwards.

When I say strength, what I mean is that if the team ever traded one of the players from their strength, the team would not significantly suffer with the player they have who could replace the traded player. What I mean by the team being a better team is that the player coming would inprove the team's ability to win more than the loss of the player traded harms the team's chances to win.

Both teams are good enough as they are that they should make the playoffs. In other words, niether team has to trade, it is just that they would be stronger as a team if they did. Of the two teams, Vancouver is currently the stronger.

Nashville seems to need skilled, offensive forwards who will complement those forwards Nashville already has. That's important, it's not only the skill level Nashville needs, its how well that skilled player plays with Nashvilles current core forwards.

You rightly so point out that a player like PK is not the most suitable forward to fill the hole in your top six. He's still a great offensive forward, but he is not the finisher skilled forward a centre like Legwand needs. A forward like Sameulsson would fill that position far better. Not as flashy as PK, but he puts up the points. The other areas I see a need for Nashville is a need for more depth of top six prospects and a need to improve the agressiveness on the team both on the forwards and defense. Your team isn't small, but they don't use that size enough.

The Canucks need mainly two, maybe three areas of improvement. They need to dump about $2.5 to $3M of salary. That won't be that difficult, but they may not get full value for the players they trade unless those players are sought after by more then one team. The Canucks are still looking for a better 4th line centre then who they have now. Currently it is Rypien and he is far more suited to RW. Last, though the Canucks now have great depth on defense, both roster and prospects, they still lack a true #1 defenseman or even a prospect that likely can become a true #1 defenceman. Edler has the greatest chance to mould into a #1, but is more likely to peak as a solid #2.

Players the Canucks likely want to keep, but could trade for the right return (not all, but some) would be Bieksa (likely will be by Christmas to reduce salary. Hes a solid #4 with a mean, physical side of him), O'Brian (if Bieksa isn't traded - again due to salary), Samuelsson (hard to trade a cheap 30+ goal scorer), Hansen, Raymond, Hodgson, Schroeder, Shirokov (all great top six prospects, but you have to give value to get value). One Nashville player I could see the Canucks really interested in would be Jerred Smithson as a fix for out 4th line centre.
Agree with your analysis, I think a deal would have been more likely before we included Grabner in the Ballard deal, he is sick fast, highly skilled, loads of top-end potential, but hasn't proven anything yet so wasn't too expensive for Vancouver to include in a deal, plus, he simply had no room in our top-six.

I think what holds deals back like Nashville-Vancouver is that both sides have promising but unknown players that the other would want, Nashville with their plethora of promising defensemen, Vancouver with our budding forwards. But teams I think are hesitant to trade unknown potential for unknown potential, what happens if we do a deal like Shirokov and/or Hansen for one or two of Nashville's defensemen, and the defenseman turns out to be a top-four wunderkind and Shirokov never holds down a roster spot and Hansen tops out as a fourth-liner. Those are the kinds of deals that end up costing GM's their jobs, so I think teams then take the approach of holding on to their players, finding out whatever potential is there, and if surplus, then trade them. See Cory Schneider and the Canucks, arguably one of the best goaltenders outside the NHL, but rather than trade him (he has NO future with Luongo's lifetime deal), we're going to let him play backup for a year or two, so that teams pay full value when we do trade him.

I personally would have loved to trade Schneider to a team looking for a goalie in exchange for a promising defensive prospect (which Vancouver badly needed last year, our pipeline is a LITTLE better now), but we likely wouldn't have gotten full value for Schneider, so a deal didn't go through.

But I'd bookmark your post, because when both Hodgson and Schneider show they are top-six forwards, and we've got the two Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, and Samuelsson all under contract for next year, something's gotta give. And by this time next year, Nashville will possibly have Weber and Suter locked-up long-term, Klein, Parent, Blum, Sulzer on the roster with Ellis knocking on the door and Boullion wanting to come back, so I think you're right, just a little early.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:20 PM
lightning_legwand*

Ponikarovksy

Why doesn't Poile at least give him a training camp tryout at the worst? I thought for sure that by this point in time Poni would be asking for a ton of a lot cheaper to play in the NHL. Apparently Poile tried acquiring him at two trade deadlines in a row.

Why dont we toss him a $1 million contract, whoever plays better out of him and SK gets the spot. We know that Poile likes Poni and the price is certainly right at this point, we can get him for free!!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Why doesn't Poile at least give him a training camp tryout at the worst? I thought for sure that by this point in time Poni would be asking for a ton of a lot cheaper to play in the NHL. Apparently Poile tried acquiring him at two trade deadlines in a row.

Why dont we toss him a $1 million contract, whoever plays better out of him and SK gets the spot. We know that Poile likes Poni and the price is certainly right at this point, we can get him for free!!
It's a bit early for camp tryout invites. If we're at 50 contracts as Seth says, we can't make him an offer without moving somebody that we own the rights to.

Patience. It's still July.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:35 PM
lstcyr

Quote:

I'd guess that either
1) Poile doesn't want him
2) Poni wants more than what Poile wants to pay.

I doubt Poile wouldn't give him a training camp tryout if Poni wanted to come.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:35 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
the free agent market has been stalled pending the kovalchuk deal. once thats finally settled and 3 or 4 teams are no longer holding 8 million in cap space as a contingency, a lot of the FA's still lingering will sign.

desperation time (ie when a guy like Poni would accept a tryout offer) wont come until early september. i suspect he'll be long gone by then

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

did everyone not see him in the playoffs? Poni stunk to the point of healthy scratch. He couldn't put the puck in the net with malkin and crosby feeding him. how do you think he would do with Goc?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I used to think Poni was a good fit, now I think he is just spare bitz.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:

Ponikarovsky signed today with Los Angeles after they lost out on Kovalchuk, the defensemen, and just about everyone else this summer...terms not announced yet...

Old
07-27-2010, 06:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Ponikarovsky signed today with Los Angeles after they lost out on Kovalchuk, the defensemen, and just about everyone else this summer...terms not announced yet...
RT @JeffMarek: Ponikarovsky's dealw/the Kings is one-year, $3million.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
MarkMM

It came up before, someone asking about Willie Mitchell's status. It looks like his rehab is progressing, and he's narrowed down his list of teams to the Canucks (can't see us having room for him, we have 9 defensemen as is!), Sharks, Red Wings and Capitals.

Not sure if Nashville has expressed interest in him, I'm guessing he'd come in the $2.5-3M range, which I'm not sure Nashville wants to spend right now. He could add some stability and experience, but with his health concerns and the ability to get cheaper experience out there, I wouldn't cry for Nashville if he doesn't come your way, as much as I like the guy.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/08/02/nhl_notes/

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
It came up before, someone asking about Willie Mitchell's status. It looks like his rehab is progressing, and he's narrowed down his list of teams to the Canucks (can't see us having room for him, we have 9 defensemen as is!), Sharks, Red Wings and Capitals.

Not sure if Nashville has expressed interest in him, I'm guessing he'd come in the $2.5-3M range, which I'm not sure Nashville wants to spend right now. He could add some stability and experience, but with his health concerns and the ability to get cheaper experience out there, I wouldn't cry for Nashville if he doesn't come your way, as much as I like the guy.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/08/02/nhl_notes/
I would love to add Willie Mitchell to our defense, but I just don't think it's in the cards. We already have:

Suter - Weber
Klein - Bouillon
Parent - Franson
Sulzer - Laakso
Blum - Josi
Palin - (Ellis)

Too much young depth built up to bring in a vet at this point before giving our prospects a chance to step up and seize the opportunities in training camp.

Bringing in a guy like Shane Hnidy on a tryout for training camp I think is more our style...

Old
08-03-2010, 03:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Where Nashville is hurting is defensively.

Last year's GAA's

Chicago 203
Detroit 207
St. Louis 218
Nashville 221
CBJ 249

Nashville needs to tighten up in goal and Defense. That GAA will not cut it. Chicago's will go down with Turco. Detroit in my mine will say about the same. St. Louis down with Halak. CBJ's I think will be better unless Mason continues his slump.

The final pieces are the backup goal, which could be Theodore, could be Legacy, hell I wouldn't be shocked if Nashville helped Philly get Niemi and take a defenseman and Leighton or Boucher off their hands.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if Nashville helped Philly get Niemi and take a defenseman and Leighton or Boucher off their hands.
What would the return be? one of our 1938493 forwards (Smithson, Ward, O'reilly to name a few) packaged with a D prospect (COR for instance).

Both CORs (O'reilly and Roussell)

FOR

Leighton/Boucher + late draft pick

Where do i sign on that one?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:53 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
What would the return be? one of our 1938493 forwards (Smithson, Ward, O'reilly to name a few) packaged with a D prospect (COR for instance).

Both CORs (O'reilly and Roussell)

FOR

Leighton/Boucher + late draft pick

Where do i sign on that one?
that's a brutal proposal. COR(D) is too good of a prospect to be included in a trade for a marginal backup, especially when there are guys that are just good available for free out there.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote