HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice for faceoffs and tips

Old
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
NomadFan

vCash: 500
I just want to echo the tips above about getting your teammates involved and communicating your intentions to them. I play defense, but my team's top center wins a ton of his draws by mixing things up and getting our teammates involved.

I mention communication because our team's top center will do things differently given the situation (win it to a winger, chip it behind the net and have a wing chase it down, tie up the other center and pray, etc.) and he's always sure to let the wingers know before hand. But in those situations were I am on the ice and we get a face-off, almost every time he goes for a back-hand sweep back to me on defense. At which point I go for a quick shot off the face-off win (in the offensive zone) or I position myself to receive the puck and carry it around the net (in the defensive zone). Teams might pay attention to the tendencies of a center, but the roles of even specific teammate combinations can throw unexpected results into the mix.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
First of all you shouldn't be having to bat pucks out of the air. Shots from the point with people in front of the net should be on the ice. That being said there are circumstances that require a point shot or shot pass to be elevated. When that happens I don't even bother trying to tip it with my stick. No matter how good you are at it you will never get even close to half of them on the net even if a defenseman isn't tying up your stick (which they should be). I try and use my legs/feet/elbows, all of which are a lot bigger than my stick and not being tied up by someone. I try and screen the goalie and then ready myself for a number of options. Puck deflects off me and on net and hits the goalie (I or a teammate bang at a rebound) Puck gets by and hits the goalie (I or a teammate bang at a rebound) Puck hits me and drops down (I or a teammate bang a shot on goal). Either way I don't wave at a puck with a small stick and miss and watch the puck go into the corner. Your odds are way better for scoring a goal from 4 feet in front of the net on an off balance goalie than you do trying to bat a waist high puck out of the air and into the net.

Trust your gear and if the puck leaves a welt and you score a goal, well the goal stays and the welt will heal.
Think you might have misunderstood, I "bat" pucks out of the air on defense, and only if it's one that's fairly easy. I'd hate to tip one in on my own goalie

All of that is great advice, but I'm already doing that stuff. I'm just trying to add another element to my net presence by getting better at tipping. If I can't, I always have that stuff you mentioned to fall back on, but I'm trying to better myself little by little and that's one thing I feel that is missing from my game that is important to how I play.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Don't always do the same thing. Just because you keep winning with the same method doesn't mean you should always use it. The other guy will eventually catch on to what you're doing and beat you.

Also, if you're in a situation where you are constantly losing draws against someone, try to pay attention to what he's doing and then do whatever it takes to prevent him from doing that. Tie up his stick, smack his stick before going back, lift his stick, etc. Especially in your defensive zone, having the puck sitting in the center rather than going back to their D is a win... as long as your teammates help you out anyway.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJimmyCarterC View Post
Think you might have misunderstood, I "bat" pucks out of the air on defense, and only if it's one that's fairly easy. I'd hate to tip one in on my own goalie

All of that is great advice, but I'm already doing that stuff. I'm just trying to add another element to my net presence by getting better at tipping. If I can't, I always have that stuff you mentioned to fall back on, but I'm trying to better myself little by little and that's one thing I feel that is missing from my game that is important to how I play.
You are playing defense and batting pucks out of the air in front of your own net? Are you playing center?

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
You are playing defense and batting pucks out of the air in front of your own net? Are you playing center?
No, that's when I'm on D. had a lot of guys quit on our team part way through the season. i'm the only guy left willing to clear out the front of the net so that's why I'm doing those things lol our team was very dysfunctional last season

Old
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
fearitself

If you want to get instantly better. Keep your eye on the puck in the refs hand, not on the dot. If you're having trouble winning draws, check which way he has his hands on his twig and tie up his stick instead of going for the puck. Just let your winger know before to sneak in and take it.

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
No, that's when I'm on D. had a lot of guys quit on our team part way through the season. i'm the only guy left willing to clear out the front of the net so that's why I'm doing those things lol our team was very dysfunctional last season
Do that and don't bat pucks out of the air in front of your own net. First of all in 40 years of playing and coaching and the hundreds of goalies I have played in front of and coached I have never ever heard one tell me they wanted teammates to deflect pucks in front of them. I have played with a great number of goalies who will slash the calfs and ankles of his own defenseman who deflect pucks. Secondly if you are free to bat pucks out the way then you obviously don't have your man covered and pushed out of the front of the net. He is free to collect all the pucks the pucks that you bat down and score on your off balance goalie. Ask your goalie if he would rather see a point shot clearly or let you tip it. If he answers let you tip pucks.....get a new goalie.

It's awesome that you step up and do what is needed to better your team but you can do too much. Give 100% to your job and let everyone else do their's even if you think you can do their's better. Help them to do their's better by coaching on the bench or before or after games. Doing their job won't help them get better it will just be the same for longer. I coach my kids to do one job well instead of 2 or 3 badly. Other teams may have more talent but we win being organized and steady.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Do that and don't bat pucks out of the air in front of your own net. First of all in 40 years of playing and coaching and the hundreds of goalies I have played in front of and coached I have never ever heard one tell me they wanted teammates to deflect pucks in front of them. I have played with a great number of goalies who will slash the calfs and ankles of his own defenseman who deflect pucks. Secondly if you are free to bat pucks out the way then you obviously don't have your man covered and pushed out of the front of the net. He is free to collect all the pucks the pucks that you bat down and score on your off balance goalie. Ask your goalie if he would rather see a point shot clearly or let you tip it. If he answers let you tip pucks.....get a new goalie.

It's awesome that you step up and do what is needed to better your team but you can do too much. Give 100% to your job and let everyone else do their's even if you think you can do their's better. Help them to do their's better by coaching on the bench or before or after games. Doing their job won't help them get better it will just be the same for longer. I coach my kids to do one job well instead of 2 or 3 badly. Other teams may have more talent but we win being organized and steady.
Yeah, I'm hoping this upcoming season we have a reliable, full team. When I switched to D I was at many points the only one on D, because we would have to press hard with 3 guys up (this is my roller league, to avoid confusion) and only me playing D because we'd play a full 44 minute (2- 22 minute periods) game with no subs and get rocked once we got tired later in the game so we'd press hard at the start of the game as if there was a minute left and we were down 2.

I don't bat them too often in games, usually save that stuff for pickup hockey. But you're right, I should probably avoid it all together. Guess every once in a while I'd block enough shots with my body I'd try and just take care of it with my stick to avoid more pain, especially with no one to come on and give me a minute to walk off some of the harder shot blocks. Shouldn't be a problem once we have a full team again.

I'll try to "coach" them a little, sometimes it's tough cause everyone else went to school together from elementary up through high school and I just joined the team last year. Never been the new guy as I was used to playing with my buddies. But I'm getting comfortable and forming some chemistry so maybe now it's time to start talking a bit more about strategy with them rather then that weekend's parties and how wasted we got Despite it being rec league, some strategy for once would be nice.

Last edited by Jimmy Carter: 08-05-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old
08-06-2010, 01:50 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Yeah, I've been contemplating getting one for quite a while now, you may have just sold me on it

Hahaha I love doing things like that. I can whack it out of the air back at the shooter no problem, love yelling "GET OUTTA MY HOUSE!" when I do so Guess I'll get the smarthockey ball and mess around see if it can help me tip rather then reject shots lol. If nothing else it should help my stick handling so might as well get it.

I was just thinking, did you happen to be a halfway decent bunter in baseball? Cause that would make sense to me lol. I usually just cranked hits down either line, never was very good at bunting (though at my speed, coach would have to be pretty desperate for me to bunt lol).
I was good at bunting but I was a power hitter so I never bunted in a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
No offense but I disagree with this. It is not like you are taking a cut at the puck and trying to hit it square. It is basically a bunt that you are just trying to foul back.
A baseball and a bat are bother bigger than puck (flying flat) and a hockey shaft. In baseball, not only is the ball and bat bigger but you're also not being pushed around and you don't always know the general spot the puck is going, there isn't a strike zone in hockey.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote