HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mink traded for Fast from STL, signs Callahan & Weaver

Old
08-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Holy Jokinen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
If I was a big Amerks fan I would be pissed too, no one likes to see good players from their team traded away. I don't think Tallon is done making moves yet so lets wait and see what happens.
What is this "wait and see" you speak of? Are you suggesting Tallon doesn't hold a phantom grudge against the Amerks for no apparent reason? I'm a proud supporter of the knee-jerk reaction, no questions asked.

Anyways, we all know Tallon isn't as skilled or capable as a GM as Randy Sexton.

Also,

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 120
I think this signing pretty much seals the deal with Guds going back to play another season in the juniors and Ellerby in Rochester. More time to grow and develop for both, which is not such a bad thing.

McCabe-Wideman
Allen-Kulikov
Weaver-Garrison
Paetsch

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:23 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
What is this "wait and see" you speak of? Are you suggesting Tallon doesn't hold a phantom grudge against the Amerks for no apparent reason? I'm a proud supporter of the knee-jerk reaction, no questions asked.

Anyways, we all know Tallon isn't as skilled or capable as a GM as Randy Sexton.

Also,
I would never suggest such a thing sir!!

with a dash of

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
When we drafted Guds, I was positive he would make the team. As in handed a spot. Now with these guys here, he'll definitely have to earn a spot. I like what Steve-X mentioned about Guds playing 9 games then being sent down. That seems cool. And having him play juniors one more year shouldn't hurt him.

Weaver sounds interesting. Having a good Pker is always welcomed (except that we're supposed to tank for another year). And I always like to see us deliver some hits.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Weaver is a nice addition! If Guds impresses then we have a an extra d-man. Maybe Tallon already thought that far ahead and is going to trade one of the current defenseman for a forward. Nobody lights out but maybe someone who impressed but not getting playing time they need(Like Grabner). Or maybe he's getting enough defenseman now so he can trade away Caber and Allen at the deadline? We'll have to wait and see, But I like the addition of Weaver for sure. Great team guy and with him our PK should improve greatly this season.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:01 PM
suezane carpenter

Tyler Plante

Where Does he play next year if Rochester already has Jacob Markstron and Alexander Salak as there two goalies.

suezane carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Although i don't think much of TJ Fast, he is significantly younger.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:04 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
I guess Ellerby isn't taking a spot this year. We're set with 7 guys now.
It creates competition. Now a guy like Ellerby has to earn his spot.. If Ellerby (or anyone else for that matter) proves they belong in the NHL, guys like Weaver or Paetsch won't block them.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
So:

Caber-Wideman
Allen-Kuli
Weaver-Gudbranson/Paetsch/Garrison ?

I thought Garrison did really well last year in his time here, though. Guds still has to earn a spot, so where does everyone fit in? I think we all realized a couple years ago when so many d-men went down that all these guys will likely play at some point next season.
Weaver, Garrison, Gud, and Paestch will fight for the #5-7 spots. If Gud doesn't get a top 6 spot, he'll go back to Kingston for one more year. The good thing about Paestch is that he can play forward too.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:58 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezane carpenter View Post
Where Does he play next year if Rochester already has Jacob Markstron and Alexander Salak as there two goalies.
I thought we loaned him to another AHL team.

I can't see Wilson being here much longer. IIRC like Taffe he was signed to a 2 year deal which the second year of the contract became a one way deal.
I can't see us paying him the NHL salary when he has just about a 0% chance of ever dressing up in a Panthers uniform.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Weaver, Garrison, Gud, and Paestch will fight for the #5-7 spots. If Gud doesn't get a top 6 spot, he'll go back to Kingston for one more year. The good thing about Paestch is that he can play forward too.
Especially with our shortage of Forwards....

But seriously, point taken. Versatility is a good thing.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Tallon's not going to let their prized prospect get crapped on in Rochester, so I'd ease up with the emotion a bit.
Exactly. The Amerks needed two defensemen, now they got them. I don't understand some of the comments around here, Callahan is actually a pretty good AHL d-man. Fast would have been in the AHL last season but Peoria's blueline is loaded. He's actually a prospect, is still only 22, I like him. He's a very good skater and is good with the puck, and isn't too shabby in his own zone. Rochester's blueline isn't bad at all. Now they just need a couple forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I thought we loaned him to another AHL team.

I can't see Wilson being here much longer. IIRC like Taffe he was signed to a 2 year deal which the second year of the contract became a one way deal.
I can't see us paying him the NHL salary when he has just about a 0% chance of ever dressing up in a Panthers uniform.
The plan is probably to loan Plante to another team, but it hasn't happened yet. Mink was probably a salary dump and Wilson might be as well, but Rochester still is looking good. The comments about how they won't win many games are hilarious. They will be in the playoffs again. Markstrom in the AHL? Are you kidding me? Wouldn't surprise me at all if he is the best goalie in the league next year. The Amerks will be solid at every position. They might be trading away a couple vets, but come on. The world isn't ending here. Taffe was replaced with Cullen. The Amerks needed a couple solid d-men, they got them. Mink will be replaced.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:52 PM
CanadianPantherFan

<<< This guy to the left says "don't hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Kinda agreeing with MR here... So the Amerks don't lead the league next year, but I do think they will be competitive...

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Gudbranson44

Yeah I just can't believe how amerks fans think...? We're giving them the best goaltending prospect in the world, a very successful coach many others wanted for their own ahl teams, we're getting rid of players they had problems paying for last year, we're giving them more quality youths in jenks, comrie, robak etc, and we're still the worst parent club in the league...

I agree with many others on these boards, a divorce would be better sooner rather than later. Ungrateful pieces of something

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Georgia Panther

Not that Rochester's scoring problems this coming season are keeping me up at night, (and cry me a river that theirs will compare with our own lack of firepower), but Santos says they may trade one of the Amerk excess goalies for a forward to help them out.

While the Amerks would appear to lack scoring power, Santos said the extreme depth in goal (four goalies, which is at least one too many) could enable him to improve the team through another trade.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...d-to-St.-Louis

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Have you looked at the proposed Amerk roster? It's not good.

The defense is abysmal. The Amerks have lost their top 4 scorers from last season, and the only replacement was Mark Cullen, who isn't exactly a top of the line AHL scorer.

Unless Markstrom stands on his head every game, this team isn't winning many games.
So what exactly is the proposed Amerk roster?

I disagree that the defense is abysmal as it appears on paper at least:

Ellerby
Callahan
Robak
Caruso
Fast
Comrie
Hudson
Wilson (until he's traded)

And with the depth FL now has in wingers, I doubt there will be as many callups as there were last yr so take that into account. Before the offseason, I think there was a strong possibility that at least 2 of Duco, McArdle, Repik and/or Dadonov could've been in FL but I dont think so anymore. Plus the quality prospects that are coming in that Amerks fans havent even seen yet in Timmins, Jenks and Selleck. I think the scoring should come from Repik and Dadonov along with guys like Cullen so I dont see that as a problem either but another forward would be a smart addition.

And yes Markstrom probably will stand on his head. He had a truly abysmal team in Europe and did so there leading his team to the playoffs. I would expect him to do the same in the AHL after some early struggles (so be patient for once Amerk fans).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:14 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
It creates competition. Now a guy like Ellerby has to earn his spot.. If Ellerby (or anyone else for that matter) proves they belong in the NHL, guys like Weaver or Paetsch won't block them.
This seems to be the guiding principle behind Tallon's moves since taking over. This team lacks fire because players are too comfortable. By loading the system with players, he figures to increase competition top to bottom. Ellerby, Guds and to a lesser extent Garrison will have to battle for a chance on NHL ice. No gimmes.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:53 AM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Not that Rochester's scoring problems this coming season are keeping me up at night, (and cry me a river that theirs will compare with our own lack of firepower), but Santos says they may trade one of the Amerk excess goalies for a forward to help them out.

While the Amerks would appear to lack scoring power, Santos said the extreme depth in goal (four goalies, which is at least one too many) could enable him to improve the team through another trade.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...d-to-St.-Louis
I'd imagine if we traded one of them it would be Plante.

Also, where does Cheverie fit into all of this if Markstrom and Salak are in Rochester, and Plante is either loaned or traded?

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Why are we questioning whether the number 3 draft pick will make the team or not. Kulikov got right in at 14.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:21 AM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Why are we questioning whether the number 3 draft pick will make the team or not. Kulikov got right in at 14.
this is horrible logic. You are aware of that right? I am sorry but Guds making the roster at this point will only happen if he blows training camp away. If hes the 6th best d-man I guarantee he is sent down and replaced with one of these other guys who don't need to develop. He is by far a lock from making the team

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:23 AM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Kulikov outplayed other players to win that spot. That situation was also slightly different because there was a chance he could go to the KHL if he was unhappy.

Draft position doesn't automatically mean a player is or isn't going to play in the NHL his first year. O'Reilly played last year as an early 2nd round pick, while there have been 1st overall picks that haven't played in the NHL their first season.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Is Santos running Amerks?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
This is how this thread is going.

IM AN AMERKS FAN, WAH WAH WAH WAH.

IM A PANTHERS FAN, AMERKS FANS ANNOY ME, WAH WAH WAH WAH.

Im off to the candy store to buy some more WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Amerk fans actually have a reason to be annoyed. For some reason Panther fans think they are better because they are "NHL" fans ; the AHL fans don't deserve to moan and be bitter. Bitterness is an institute for us.

Cheverie is staying in the NCAA.

Last edited by Panthers Rock: 08-13-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: language
J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Did you guys know Clay Wilson is on a one-way contract?

8 d-men at the moment.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote