HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery #5 Agitator of All Time

Old
08-04-2010, 05:16 AM
PasDaSquini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Is it safe to say yet that Avery is one of the most overrated Rangers of all-time?

Other than the occassional circus side-show, the guy really hasnt done much here besides his first 30 or so games. Yet, the fans continue to lap him up.
O yeah completely overrated(Not sarcasm seriously), but when avery is in the lineup the rangers as a whole are better; dont know why they just are.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:57 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
He's a fan favorite for a reason....
So was Dale Purinton.

Just because there is a certain segment that likes someone far exceeding his real worth does not make him valuable.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:43 AM
ruckus*

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:51 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Is it safe to say yet that Avery is one of the most overrated Rangers of all-time?

Other than the occassional circus side-show, the guy really hasnt done much here besides his first 30 or so games. Yet, the fans continue to lap him up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Welcome to my lonely corner.

Be prepared for posts of "Just stop" and "Which of your ex girlfiends did Avery screw?"
Please. Take a look at his numbers and what he brings to the table and try and act like he's not a good player. Especially if you consider how well he forechecks and goes to the net and actually creates plays and possesses the puck.

The problem with people like you is that your expectations are asinine.

Get a clue about what his role is and what he brings to the table and realize he's more than adequate.

It's not Sean's fault the roster has been devoid of talent and he's been the best player on the ice for stretches and has been asked to do more than his ability.

Again, get a clue.

Old
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post

His detractors really are an obsessed bunch. Never miss a chance to fire up the whaaambulance.

Christ...what do they expect out of him? 35 goals a year? We all know his role. I'll take what he brings to the team over some replacement player who might pot 5 more goals any day. It's not like he's taking some top scorer's spot on the top line or something.
When he first got here, he played the game with energy, he chirped, he rarely hurt the team with stupidity. Thats when he was a valuable component of this team.

Over the last season+, since we re-acquired him, he simply has not been the same player. But his cult status at MSG has remained along with a bevy of excuses...the most used one being hes at the center of some conspiracy where the NHL is targeting him. ********. That shouldnt stop him from playing the game with passion and energy consistently, which he did maybe 5 times last season.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want him thrown off the team or anything. Hes still a serviceable 3rd liner with a cheap cap hit (the half we're paying, anyway), but the admiration by some of the fanbase is just strange.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Please. Take a look at his numbers and what he brings to the table and try and act like he's not a good player. Especially if you consider how well he forechecks and goes to the net and actually creates plays and possesses the puck.

The problem with people like you is that your expectations are asinine.

Get a clue about what his role is and what he brings to the table and realize he's more than adequate.

It's not Sean's fault the roster has been devoid of talent and he's been the best player on the ice for stretches and has been asked to do more than his ability.

Again, get a clue.
And the problem with people like you is you still think its 2007 when it comes to Avery. He hasnt been the same player...not even close.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
And the problem with people like you is you still think its 2007 when it comes to Avery. He hasnt been the same player...not even close.
Uhhh yeah, no ****.

Last year he was neutered. The league sliced off one ball and Torts took care of the other.

The year before that was the Dallas debacle where he barely played.

Again, get a clue.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
ruckus*

I give Avery his credit where it's due. And I knock him every time he does something stupid.

The guy takes dumb penalties for sure. But anyone who actually watched every game last year, if they saw the crap he got called for and the way he was treated, and still honestly believe the refs didn't have it out for him, they're just Avery-hating fools.

Ya don't like him fine.

Ya think he gets too much pub and love for his play fine.

But don't short the guy what he's capable of and don't try and convince me or anyone with eyes that he wasn't screwed royally last year.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
When he first got here, he played the game with energy, he chirped, he rarely hurt the team with stupidity. Thats when he was a valuable component of this team.

Over the last season+, since we re-acquired him, he simply has not been the same player. But his cult status at MSG has remained along with a bevy of excuses...the most used one being hes at the center of some conspiracy where the NHL is targeting him. ********. That shouldnt stop him from playing the game with passion and energy consistently, which he did maybe 5 times last season.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want him thrown off the team or anything. Hes still a serviceable 3rd liner with a cheap cap hit (the half we're paying, anyway), but the admiration by some of the fanbase is just strange.
I believe he is one of our only players who consistently plays hard. I don't know how anyone watches him and thinks otherwise.

Anyway, totally opposite on the "strange" part in my view. Those of us who like him, like him. Those people who dislike him seem obsessed to a weird level. I mean they NEVER miss a chance to complain about him even though, as you admit, he's solid and affordable. On top of that, he's very easy to like when he is on your side.

I just don't get it.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Totally agreed. One of our ONLY players who goes hard to the net and does a good job creating goals for others through his hard work and grit. Most of our guys play like scared little girls near the net.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

As has been said, a lot of fans relate to Avery, because he acts as a medium to which they can insert their frustration and anger into the game. The truth is, this is because Avery is as immature and lacks self control to the same extent as they do.

Some fans like Avery because he is a hard hitting 3rd liner who hustles. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact I dont mind Avery on the third line. I just never hear Callahan's name chanted nearly as often.

Most players who took 3 minor penalties in a vital playoff game would be booed, and the coach would be appraised for benching them. Not Sean. He seems to be given an unlimited leash for minor penalties because he is "getting under the opponents skin." For every minor penalty Sean draws, he takes two.

Which leads me to my final point. Avery is at his best when he is "neutered" as it has been dubbed by the Hfboards community. He plays a solid 3rd line role, backchecks, makes plays, and doesn't take dumb **** penalties after the whistle. He also doesn't make an embarrassment of himself in front of the league anymore ala

Making graphic comments to a woman in the stands
Using a demeaning term to the media about an ex girlfriend
Getting kicked off an NHL franchise.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:18 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
As has been said, a lot of fans relate to Avery, because he acts as a medium to which they can insert their frustration and anger into the game. The truth is, this is because Avery is as immature and lacks self control to the same extent as they do.

Some fans like Avery because he is a hard hitting 3rd liner who hustles. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact I dont mind Avery on the third line. I just never hear Callahan's name chanted nearly as often.

Most players who took 3 minor penalties in a vital playoff game would be booed, and the coach would be appraised for benching them. Not Sean. He seems to be given an unlimited leash for minor penalties because he is "getting under the opponents skin." For every minor penalty Sean draws, he takes two.

Which leads me to my final point. Avery is at his best when he is "neutered" as it has been dubbed by the Hfboards community. He plays a solid 3rd line role, backchecks, makes plays, and doesn't take dumb **** penalties after the whistle. He also doesn't make an embarrassment of himself in front of the league anymore ala

Making graphic comments to a woman in the stands
Using a demeaning term to the media about an ex girlfriend
Getting kicked off an NHL franchise.
What are you a ****ing shrink?

Some of us just like the way he plays hockey.

He's not at his best when he's neutered. We saw that last year. He wasn't himself.

Again, you can think anything you want about him but you can't deny that he's a third liner who has been asked to play above his head a ton of times with this team and has done a fine job when he's in the lineup.

And no one cares about him talking **** about ex girlfriends or saything things to women. This isn't the ACLU board.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
I believe he is one of our only players who consistently plays hard. I don't know how anyone watches him and thinks otherwise.

Anyway, totally opposite on the "strange" part in my view. Those of us who like him, like him. Those people who dislike him seem obsessed to a weird level. I mean they NEVER miss a chance to complain about him even though, as you admit, he's solid and affordable. On top of that, he's very easy to like when he is on your side.

I just don't get it.
Trust me, its not an obsession. If not for the occassional circus act and dumb antic, hes a remarkably oridinary player, especially lately. If anything, my obsession is with the portion of the fanbase that will defend him to no end and pretend hes some sort of critical component to the team.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:22 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I give Avery his credit where it's due. And I knock him every time he does something stupid.

The guy takes dumb penalties for sure. But anyone who actually watched every game last year, if they saw the crap he got called for and the way he was treated, and still honestly believe the refs didn't have it out for him, they're just Avery-hating fools.

Ya don't like him fine.

Ya think he gets too much pub and love for his play fine.

But don't short the guy what he's capable of and don't try and convince me or anyone with eyes that he wasn't screwed royally last year.
I agree that he was screwed by the refs plenty last year but I still think you overrate him. If the refs are gonna keep him in check this year also, then he just becomes another 3rd line player at best which is fine. Everyone knows his role and I love the guy but it's really becoming an image more than actual action. He was invisible for more than half the year. When he's not on his game, he is sometimes hurting the team and you know that. You need to relax and stop viewing Avery as a God

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:24 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Trust me, its not an obsession. If not for the occassional circus act and dumb antic, hes a remarkably oridinary player, especially lately. If anything, my obsession is with the portion of the fanbase that will defend him to no end and pretend hes some sort of critical component to the team.
Again, remarkably ordinary in comparison to what? What ridiculous expectations do you have for him?

Cause if you're saying he's ordinary for a third liner, you're insane.

God forbid fans like and in your face player with attitude.

Must not be allowed to like a player who plays on third line I guess.

Remind me to tell you you're not allowed to like Callahan then.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
So was Dale Purinton.

Just because there is a certain segment that likes someone far exceeding his real worth does not make him valuable.
I understand where you're coming from, but that is actually exactly what makes someone valuable.

I'm not an Avery man, but I'd term "valuable" as a way to put ***** in the seats at games, and Rangers management loves doing so, as any management would.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
I agree that he was screwed by the refs plenty last year but I still think you overrate him. If the refs are gonna keep him in check this year also, then he just becomes another 3rd line player at best which is fine. Everyone knows his role and I love the guy but it's really becoming an image more than actual action. He was invisible for more than half the year. When he's not on his game, he is sometimes hurting the team and you know that. You need to relax and stop viewing Avery as a God
Can you please show me my post where I offered insight as to what I value him at, and then tell me how I've gone overboard?

"..then he just becomes a third line player which is fine..."

Uhhh no ****. That's what he is.

How am I viewing Avery as God when my defense of him in this thread is WAKE UP PEOPLE HE'S A THIRD LINER, APPRECIATE AND ACCEPT HIM FOR WHAT HE IS AND STOP EXPECTING MORE THAN THAT.

Yes, I'm the one who over values him.

Actually, I think it's people like you who are then critical of others for liking a "third liner", when that's what the **** he is.

Gosh. Sometimes it's like explaining how 2+2=4 to some people.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Again, remarkably ordinary in comparison to what? What ridiculous expectations do you have for him?

Cause if you're saying he's ordinary for a third liner, you're insane.

God forbid fans like and in your face player with attitude.

Must not be allowed to like a player who plays on third line I guess.

I have very little expectations of him. Why dont you pose that question to yourself and the other fans that love to chant his name at the Garden?

Cally is an infinitely more effective and important player to this team and I rarely ever hear his name get chanted. What gives?

Old
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
How am I viewing Avery as God when my defense of him in this thread is WAKE UP PEOPLE HE'S A THIRD LINER, APPRECIATE AND ACCEPT HIM FOR WHAT HE IS AND STOP EXPECTING MORE THAN THAT.
Agreed. And like I said above, he's easy to like. And I'd add, everybody should just enjoy watching him, because he's effing hysterical and he's a one-man show.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
This is sort of what I'm getting at too. A lot of us like Cally and Dubi "too much" as well, but people don't complain about that as much (though yes, it does come up)

But it's Avery they talk about far more. This is why I say it comes off like an obsession.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
What are you a ****ing shrink?
No, but if I was, I'd say you were escalating.

Quote:
Some of us just like the way he plays hockey.
Absolutely. And I do as well. It is when he lets his perceived "agitator" role get in the way that it becomes a problem.

Quote:
He's not at his best when he's neutered. We saw that last year. He wasn't himself.
I respectfully disagree. I think If we had played last year's Seasn with a line like Dubinsky-Callahan or Drury-Callahan over the course of a whole season they would all be 15 goals+. Not bad for a third line.

Quote:
Again, you can think anything you want about him but you can't deny that he's a third liner who has been asked to play above his head a ton of times with this team and has done a fine job when he's in the lineup.
Oh absolutely. The same can be said for Ryan Callahan and Daniel Girardi. But it isn't going to make me not dislike the player for his lack of discipline and self control, simply because he has been unfortunate enough to find a home in a team that misuses him.

Quote:
And no one cares about him talking **** about ex girlfriends or saything things to women. This isn't the ACLU board.
Clearly you do not care. I care about the image that the NYR club wants to present to the National Hockey League, especially in a time when the commissioner is showing clear favoritism to certain teams.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:40 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
I have very little expectations of him. Why dont you pose that question to yourself and the other fans that love to chant his name at the Garden?

Cally is an infinitely more effective and important player to this team and I rarely ever hear his name get chanted. What gives?
So in this post, you've gone and shown what clearly is the issue with you and other Avery detractors.

It really draws your ire that someone you see as little more than a third liner gets so much love from a fan base.

Must be a jealousy thing or something. I'm not sure.

And that's not something Avery can control. If the crowd loves him and cheers his name, that's not on him.

Cally is a third liner who has never scored more than 40 points. If the fans chanted his name and it didn't bother you the same way it does Avery, you'd be a blatant hypocrite.

You just don't like Avery. Like the other detractors. That's what it comes down to.

It bothers you that someone you don't like and see now true value in gets such love and accolades.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:41 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Can you please show me my post where I offered insight as to what I value him at, and then tell me how I've gone overboard?

"..then he just becomes a third line player which is fine..."

Uhhh no ****. That's what he is.

Yes, I'm the one who over values him.

Actually, I think it's people like you who are then critical of others for liking a "third liner", when that's what the **** he is.

Gosh. Sometimes it's like explaining how 2+2=4 to some people.
I was agreeing with you that he was just a third liner. When he's on his game, like you said earlier, he's not an ordinary third line player. That's why he's on the team NOT TO BE ANOTHER 3rd LINE PLAYER. We have plenty of other 3rd line players that can play as well as he does. I would say you being pissy when people disagree with you about avery and defending him to death makes you seem like you worship the guy. RELAX people have different opinions about him. Not the end of the world

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Matteau Matteau

WTF...now it's a problem that we chant his name? That's just freakin' weird.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:48 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
No, but if I was, I'd say you were escalating.

Absolutely. And I do as well. It is when he lets his perceived "agitator" role get in the way that it becomes a problem.

I respectfully disagree. I think If we had played last year's Seasn with a line like Dubinsky-Callahan or Drury-Callahan over the course of a whole season they would all be 15 goals+. Not bad for a third line.

Oh absolutely. The same can be said for Ryan Callahan and Daniel Girardi. But it isn't going to make me not dislike the player for his lack of discipline and self control, simply because he has been unfortunate enough to find a home in a team that misuses him.

Clearly you do not care. I care about the image that the NYR club wants to present to the National Hockey League, especially in a time when the commissioner is showing clear favoritism to certain teams.
I can't disagree about his potential if he were playing on a line like that.

What I don't understand is why people don't see value in that?

The problem comes in because there are certain fans and people who don't like the fact that he gets star treatment. I can understand that. But I fail to understand why those who don't get it can't understand why he does.

I do think that last year was a very strange year all the way around. People complain about him being invisible for long stretches, but again if you watched and saw some of those undisciplined calls you referred to, you can understand why he didn't play his game.

I truly believe Sean was torn last year. He wanted to play his game but he realized that the refs had it out for him, and that because of that he was hurting his team. He still wants to win and he didn't want to kill the team like that.

I definitely don't care about his image or any of that crap. The New York Rangers organziation should worry about winning for a change and then they may have the right to go out and start choosing players based on character.

There are things far more important to me than that crap.

I will not disagree that the guy takes some dumb penalties. I do however believe that on plenty of occassions he was screwed. I saw goalie interference calls on him last year where he was a foot and a half outside of the crease and getting shoved by a defense towards the goal at a goalie who was coming way out of his net, and he was getting called for it.

I mean some things are a joke, and the way the refs treated him for the most part was just that.

My biggest problem is that the people who complain about him have no leg to stand on, because unless your expectations are for him to be something more than a third liner there's nothing to really complain about.

Go complain about Callahan, the golden boy. He's the one who's never going to be more than a third liner. Shouldn't that bother people more than the fact that Avery is what he is?