HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov for captain ?

Old
08-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
i found it odd last night that on CJAD 800 they had a whole segment of "should markov speak french?"

odd timing is all
it's not only odd but completely idiotic that they'd even mention stuff like that. but then again, why am i not surprised?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:20 AM
BoNeS42

Wouldn't it be funny if he called CJAD and told them : Farmez vos yeuls ********! with his russian accent then hung up.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
i found it odd last night that on CJAD 800 they had a whole segment of "should markov speak french?"

odd timing is all
Please give me the names of the turds who brought this up.

The habs are a hockey team, not a friggin lynchpin for some people's nationalistic pride and aspirations.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Don't want markov to be the captain.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Wouldn't it be funny if he called CJAD and told them : Farmez vos yeuls ********! with his russian accent then hung up.
"Me Markov, me captain, me play hockey"

Old
08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Ludo

Markov would be a fine captain. He is classy...and talented.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:51 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

I am OK with this move. I think Markov was uncomfortable in front of the cameras in the past because he couldn't speak English very well. Now as that has improved he has been much more vocal with the media, even joking and scolding some who get out of line. He seems much more vocal in the room as well, evidenced by his dust up with Price last year.

He is the Habs best player and if Koivu gives him a vote of confidence that speaks volumes imo. Those that question the language he speaks should just F off, no one can compare with the great French Habs captains of the past who were also generational talents, and it is not fair to ask the current crop of players to live up to those lofty expectations.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
sampollock

ginota

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Whoever ends up captain, I would hope that Geoff Molson and Gauthier stand by him when La Presse pulls out it's usual "Habs captain should speak french" BS.
Quote:

odd timing is all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Please give me the names of the turds who brought this up.

The habs are a hockey team, not a friggin lynchpin for some people's nationalistic pride and aspirations.
The Montreal Gazette, that noted bastion of Québec nationalism, ran a "Sound Off" column in last Sunday's edition. The title was "Markov Should Learn Some French". Now, had that piece been in La Presse, I'm sure we would have been bombarded with threads calling for tar and feathers for the "French" media and lamenting their hidden nationalistic agenda, with the usual references to their incompetence and bias. But it was the Gazette, the newspaper who routinely refers to Jean Béliveau as "John", to the great relief of those who can't bring themselves to say, nay read, a word in French.

Just for you Ozy, the writer was Stu Cowan, who is Sports Editor at the Gazette. Horrors! Don't bother writing them, though, as I'm sure lots of readers who share your mind-set will have already responded with their usual huffing and puffing about the downtrodden Montreal anglos.

As for the team captaincy, I'd be surprised if Brian Gionta isn't anointed with the honour, but I have no sources for that.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Jigger77

With him getting Canadian Citizenship and his stating he wouldn't mind the job there is zero doubt in my mind at least that he's the next Captain. And rightly so. I'd be really surprised if he wasn't.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
BLONG7

Maybe the french media could learn Russian for Markov's sake...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Maybe the french media could learn Russian for Markov's sake...
or they could learn english first

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:38 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
good one...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
The Montreal Gazette, that noted bastion of Québec nationalism, ran a "Sound Off" column in last Sunday's edition. The title was "Markov Should Learn Some French". Now, had that piece been in La Presse, I'm sure we would have been bombarded with threads calling for tar and feathers for the "French" media and lamenting their hidden nationalistic agenda, with the usual references to their incompetence and bias. But it was the Gazette, the newspaper who routinely refers to Jean Béliveau as "John", to the great relief of those who can't bring themselves to say, nay read, a word in French.

Just for you Ozy, the writer was Stu Cowan, who is Sports Editor at the Gazette. Horrors! Don't bother writing them, though, as I'm sure lots of readers who share your mind-set will have already responded with their usual huffing and puffing about the downtrodden Montreal anglos.

As for the team captaincy, I'd be surprised if Brian Gionta isn't anointed with the honour, but I have no sources for that.
I'm as pissed at them and I have often did the same with many English journalists as well, but not for the same reasons. I **** Todd, McGuire, Stock. Nice that you can only see one side of the medal. I've often said I dislike most sports journalists in Montreal whether they'd be anglos or francos. I dislike them for different reasons, and you can't deny the particular segment of French journalists/panelists/collumnists who bring the language question more often than not.

But now they are acting as bad on THIS particular, brewing **** that doesn't even need to be brought up.

Are you actually agreeing that they should bring this up? Or are you just blindly thinking my hate for the sports mediots in Montreal is exclusively towards the french who promote a political view through a hockey team?

Old
08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
ginota
Isn't that a type of sandwich meat?

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Peacock

I haven't really read the debate that's going on too closely, but heres my opinion on the whole "should the canadiens captain speak french" debate and how the media acts towards that issue.

I personally do not really care if the captain of the Canadiens speaks french - I am bilingual and it doesn't really make a huge difference for me personally.

However, I have to say that I do understand that many francophones, for whom their first (and often only) language is french, want to have the defacto leader of their beloved sports club speak the same language as them. I don't think it's unreasonable on their part to desire such a thing, just as I understand how it can be difficult for a russian or other player to learn French. Most of us here on HFboards are anglophones and don't really care about them speaking french because we speak english perfectly and already understand the players (such is my case as well), but like I said I really don't blame people for wanting the captain to speak french. In fact, I think it would show great class and be a great sign of respect towards the fanbase.

However, for the media (french or english) they are obviously going to try to blow this way out of proportion. In reality, there really isn't much to report in the world of sports on a day to day basis, especially during the off-season. In a city that craves daily updates on their beloved team, certain inflammatory issues such as this one are a great fallback when nothing is happening. If I was in their position, consistently competing for viewers/listeners/readers, I'd probably do the same thing.

I'll probably think of more stuff to say but I'm at work haha

Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Mue

In any other market I would support the idea of Markov as captain 100%...Just not sure it is the best idea in this market.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
I haven't really read the debate that's going on too closely, but heres my opinion on the whole "should the canadiens captain speak french" debate and how the media acts towards that issue.

I personally do not really care if the captain of the Canadiens speaks french - I am bilingual and it doesn't really make a huge difference for me personally.

However, I have to say that I do understand that many francophones, for whom their first (and often only) language is french, want to have the defacto leader of their beloved sports club speak the same language as them. I don't think it's unreasonable on their part to desire such a thing, just as I understand how it can be difficult for a russian or other player to learn French. Most of us here on HFboards are anglophones and don't really care about them speaking french because we speak english perfectly and already understand the players (such is my case as well), but like I said I really don't blame people for wanting the captain to speak french. In fact, I think it would show great class and be a great sign of respect towards the fanbase.

However, for the media (french or english) they are obviously going to try to blow this way out of proportion. In reality, there really isn't much to report in the world of sports on a day to day basis, especially during the off-season. In a city that craves daily updates on their beloved team, certain inflammatory issues such as this one are a great fallback when nothing is happening. If I was in their position, consistently competing for viewers/listeners/readers, I'd probably do the same thing.

I'll probably think of more stuff to say but I'm at work haha
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. I personally don't care but I can see and respect why some would for the captaincy. And yes the media is blowing it out of proportion, that's their job and apparently by the reaction they're doing it very well.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
About that french thing , it's not complicated.It's better if he speaks french , but not the end of the world if he doesn't.The thing with Koivu is he was living here for so long and isnt his wife quebecer?He COULD have made superior efforts but oh well he didn't and life goes on.As for Markov , it's not same situation , as not so long ago he was practically incapable of speaking enlighs in front of the media so asking for french now would be unreasonable.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
I'm still convinced Gionta is going to get the C.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
I'm sure they'll see Markov in the same class

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
AbThe thing with Koivu is he was living here for so long and isnt his wife quebecer?
Hannah Koivu was born in Finland but speaks good french.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:24 AM
FuriousBob

Why would the team wait for the citizenship celebration? Makes no sense to me at all.

Markov might be named captain but I doubt that they waited one year just for that if they tought that him being captain could of helped the team. So I doubt you have inside information with a player who told you this and gave you this reason.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I'm sure they'll see Markov in the same class
and they'll try to get him to speak french in english class

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Hannah Koivu was born in Finland but speaks good french.
thanks I wasnt sure

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote