HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery #5 Agitator of All Time

Old
08-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

vCash: 500
Classic Avery from 07/08

Sean goading old man Roberts . . .

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
I was agreeing with you that he was just a third liner. When he's on his game, like you said earlier, he's not an ordinary third line player. That's why he's on the team NOT TO BE ANOTHER 3rd LINE PLAYER. We have plenty of other 3rd line players that can play as well as he does. I would say you being pissy when people disagree with you about avery and defending him to death makes you seem like you worship the guy. RELAX people have different opinions about him. Not the end of the world

Just as I would say you focusing on what you think my attitude is, is a cop out for actually having a discussion.

If you watched the games, and listened to the press conferences from Torts, and had an understanding of what was going on, it was clear.

Torts knows the Old Sean is valuable. He wanted him to play that way. Sean did. Got screwed multiple times by refs. Torts became hypocrite and lambasted Sean for playing that way and hurting the team. Sean reigned it in so as not to hurt the team.

There really wasn't anything more to it than that.

I said in another thread, my biggest problem was how Torts handled him. Torts needed to say something to the officials and the league, because their treatment of Sean was embarrassing last year.

I get it, refs don't like him and the league hates him. It doesn't give them a right to have a bias when officiating a hockey game. That's what bothers me.

Torts knew it but instead took the easy way out and lambasted Sean instead of standing up for his player who was getting hosed.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Just as I would say you focusing on what you think my attitude is, is a cop out for actually having a discussion.

If you watched the games, and listened to the press conferences from Torts, and had an understanding of what was going on, it was clear.

Torts knows the Old Sean is valuable. He wanted him to play that way. Sean did. Got screwed multiple times by refs. Torts became hypocrite and lambasted Sean for playing that way and hurting the team. Sean reigned it in so as not to hurt the team.

I said in another thread, my biggest problem was how Torts handled him. Torts needed to say something to the officials and the league, because their treatment of Sean was embarrassing last year.

I get it, refs don't like him and the league hates him. It doesn't give them a right to have a bias when officiating a hockey game. That's what bothers me.

Torts knew it but instead took the easy way out and lambasted Sean instead of standing up for his player who was getting hosed.
Well when you're telling people off, it's kinda hard to ignore and have a real conversation.

What I'm trying to bring out is when Avery is put on a leash by torts or the refs, he's a third liner that can easily be replaced by one of our prospects. To me he reminds me of Higgins or Kotalik and just disappears when not an agitator. I'm pretty sure management brought him back to be more effective than that. I agree that his play from last year was from Tort's and refs but why keep him around if Torts is just gonna hold him back?

'I get it, refs don't like him and the league hates him. It doesn't give them a right to have a bias when officiating a hockey game. That's what bothers me.'

I agree %100 percent. If i wanted to watch biased refs all year, I'd just watch the NBA

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Well when you're telling people off, it's kinda hard to ignore and have a real conversation.

What I'm trying to bring out is when Avery is put on a leash by torts or the refs, he's a third liner that can easily be replaced by one of our prospects. To me he reminds me of Higgins or Kotalik and just disappears when not an agitator. I'm pretty sure management brought him back to be more effective than that. I agree that his play from last year was from Tort's and refs but why keep him around if Torts is just gonna hold him back?

'I get it, refs don't like him and the league hates him. It doesn't give them a right to have a bias when officiating a hockey game. That's what bothers me.'

I agree %100 percent. If i wanted to watch biased refs all year, I'd just watch the NBA

Because I think you're undervaluing his actual skills. He's got terrible hands but he's good in the corners, he's good on the forecheck, and he controls the puck down low and sets up A TON of chances for team mates.

Comparing him to Higgins and Kotalik is just plain wrong.

Who do you want replacing him on the third line?

Old
08-04-2010, 10:21 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Because I think you're undervaluing his actual skills. He's got terrible hands but he's good in the corners, he's good on the forecheck, and he controls the puck down low and sets up A TON of chances for team mates.

Comparing him to Higgins and Kotalik is just plain wrong.

Who do you want replacing him on the third line?
I agree he's good in the corners, he's good on the forecheck, and he controls the puck down low and sets up chances for team mates but doesn't do it consistently. I think MZA should be in the line up but on the 2nd line and that would push Prospal to the 3rd line. I would like Avery to be on the 4th line with Prust and either Boogard or Boyle or White. Honestly, the Rangers have too many players and it should be interesting to see how it all ends up. BTW comparing Avery to Higgins/Kotalik isn't a fair comparison but I was more trying to point out he was sometimes just as invisible as they were

I'd like to see:

Dubinsky - Christensen - Gaborik
Frolov - Anisimov - MZA
Prospal - Drury - Callahan
Avery - White/Boyle - Prust/Boogard

Old
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
I agree he's good in the corners, he's good on the forecheck, and he controls the puck down low and sets up chances for team mates but doesn't do it consistently. I think MZA should be in the line up but on the 2nd line and that would push Prospal to the 3rd line. I would like Avery to be on the 4th line with Prust and either Boogard or Boyle or White. Honestly, the Rangers have too many players and it should be interesting to see how it all ends up. BTW comparing Avery to Higgins/Kotalik isn't a fair comparison but I was more trying to point out he was sometimes just as invisible as they were

I'd like to see:

Frolov - Anisimov - MZA
Yeah I don't have any issue with that lineup. I think that's probably the best and Avery should be on the fourth in best case scenario.

I'd rather it be him centering Prust and Weise but I'm not going to get my wish.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah I don't have any issue with that lineup. I think that's probably the best and Avery should be on the fourth in best case scenario.

I'd rather it be him centering Prust and Weise but I'm not going to get my wish.
Yea I'd like Avery at center too but there's already too many centers on the team

Prust - Avery- Boogard/Weise would be solid

Old
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I cannot access youtube on this, but I have a question.

Where was Kenny Linseman ranked?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

Amen. Couldn't have said it any better.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Matteau Matteau

Man, who could watch this video and not freakin' love the guy? Even you haters have to like this one.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Matteau Matteau

A good example of the type of play we're talking about when we say he creates goals for other players with hard work:

Plus he's very cool in person. I'm on the right in the Avery t-shirt.

[IMG][/IMG]

He signed my jersey and when I asked him if he was excited to get 6 chances to **** with Kovy this year, he said "yeah he's a big baby."

It was actually him who asked ME if I wanted to take a picture. for all the knocks on his supposed attitude, he was cool as hell to me and my friends. He went around to all the tables offering pics with other fans too. Cool dude. We thought he looked a little drunk that night though.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Well, I still love Sean.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Totally agreed. One of our ONLY players who goes hard to the net and does a good job creating goals for others through his hard work and grit. Most of our guys play like scared little girls near the net.
this is why i wanted ryan malone a few years ago. rangers need size although avery doesnt have size he plays a physical game. imagine if a big player like Brian Boyle played like Avery.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
imagine if a big player like Brian Boyle played like Avery.
I don't even ask that Boyle plays THAT physical. But honestly, you could skate by Boyle holding a tray of glasses and get off the ice still holding that tray of glasses. For a guy that is HUGE is plays like a big softie

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I clicked on this expecting Tikkanen to be number one. I can live with having him lower, but completely absent?? Verdict: list invalid.
agreed

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:50 PM
malfobi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Ott in number 3 is unfathomable.

Dale Hunter would make Avery look like a choir boy.

Hunter, Lemieux, Tucker belong in the top 5,
As does Tikkanen...... Boo this list.

malfobi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:06 PM
eco's bones

On Avery again. Go on the Devils board or a lot of other boards. They hate him--passionately. Whether anyone thinks he had a crappy or mediocre season last year or not. He is hated. Which is part of his shtick. If he wasn't effective at what he does they wouldn't be half as passionate about it. He would be a big joke to them. 'Oh--he did this dumb thing and that dumb thing'. And then they'd laugh--except they haven't been laughing very much. They're mostly angry or some degree of pissed. And he does do stupid **** sometimes. Not going to deny it. Overall though--for the level of skill he has they seem to have a lot of extra venom for him.

And this is the crux of the matter for me. The Rangers play with more edge when he's in the lineup--sometimes a lot more and the fans for the most part do like Sean and when they're into the game the Rangers tend to play harder.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 12:39 AM
robwrx04

For those who don't like Sean Avery and like the Rangers, I can't imagine what the team would be like without him. Sure he does take stupid penalties here and there, but he produces points unlike some other agitators and defends the good players like the Gaborik and Carcillo debacle earlier in the last season.

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 05:54 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but that is actually exactly what makes someone valuable.

I'm not an Avery man, but I'd term "valuable" as a way to put ***** in the seats at games, and Rangers management loves doing so, as any management would.
If we want to change the meaning of valuable to putting fannies in the stands, hire topless, beautiful, large-chested, female vendors. They would be far more "valuable", and popular, than Sean Avery.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:51 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If we want to change the meaning of valuable to putting fannies in the stands, hire topless, beautiful, large-chested, female vendors. They would be far more "valuable", and popular, than Sean Avery.
I don't agree with the example he chose to use, but you've also yet to do anything that shows how he's not valuable.

Just because you and others don't like him does not mean he isn't valuable.

Old
08-07-2010, 12:51 PM
chosen

Quote:
I don't agree with the example he chose to use, but you've also yet to do anything that shows how he's not valuable.

Just because you and others don't like him does not mean he isn't valuable.
Actually, if one person claims something to be true, the burden is upon them to prove it. It's not on the person who asks for proof.

The "proof" I see offered is that:

1. He puts butts in the seats. I have already refuted the value of that
2. Some fans love him. Sheer stupidity to hold that up as an argument. I've already refuted that by mentioning Purinton
3. He is a physical presence on the ice. This was true for part of the time, 2 years ago, but not since.
4. He sets up lots of scoring chances. This particular one is the funniest of all. Where are the points that prove this point? Other players on the team put up more points so it can't just be the lack of talent around him

The points against him are:

1. The refs hate him and this puts his team at a disadvantage. They don't hate him arbitrarily. He has earned it with his on-ice behavior.

2. When he was in a crucial playoff series against Wash, he melted down in a way that was far worse than anything Redden or Drury has ever done. Imagine the reactions here if either of those players screwed up like he did

3. While he has nominal 3rd-line skills, that's all he has ever really demonstrated

4. He has a suspect health resume

Face it, people like him for the same reason that people like watching the Jersey Shore. He's a circus act that you can't help but watch, but there is nothing there once you scratch away the surface.

He's an ordinary talent who has played like a selfish idiot on many occasions. He has enough talent to put together a decent career but has chosen instead to be a side show act. That's great for those who care about stuff like that. If he had continued to play the way he did when he first arrived, he would be valuable, but he hasn't and he isn't.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

I'd like to see:

Frolov - Anisimov - MZA
I actually like that lineup. Either way, I want Anisimov to be playing with crafty or skilled wingers. That means either (1) of Frolov, Gaborik and probably MZA. That's not to say Dubinsky or Callahan aren't better than MZA, but they play more of a north-south grinding game.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:39 PM
XLJ

Wow how did Tikkanen not make that list? And they ranked Ott way too high. I like Avery he is a great agitator. Even in a down year he still scored 31 points on a team that couldn't score. He played great since he got benched hopefully he plays that kind of style all season long next year. Another thing I like about him is he seems to play his best hockey against our rivals.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:57 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Where was Kenny Linseman ranked?
The Rat was a good one. (But he was no Tik.)

Last edited by dedalus: 08-08-2010 at 12:07 AM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:02 AM
broadwayblue

I hope Sean brings his A game this year. When he's on his game and doing his thing he's a great guy to have on the 3rd line. I expect a bounce back year.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote