HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Update on Price contract talks

Old
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Update on Price contract talks

http://habsinsideout.com/main/36623

Quote:
Nothing terribly significant to report on contract talks between the Canadiens and goaltender Carey Price, who has been an unsigned restricted free agent for a little more than a month.

Gerry Johannson, Price's agent, says that the two sides "are not necessarily close, but it's not that we're not close in a bad way. We're having good conversations and we both are commited to getting things done." Johannson says the slow pace of talks is "relatively normal" and that his hope is to have a deal done by the end of this month or early next month.

The agent says he's seeking a shorter-term deal, which would likely translate to a year or two.

It's an unusual summer, of course, with the number of goaltenders changing address and teams' rosters still taking shape. The Chicago Blackhawks' decision to walk away this week from the Antti Niemi arbritration ruling has begun rumours in Montreal that the Canadiens would go after the goalie who led the Blackhawks to their first Stanley Cup since 1961. But Johannson has been told by Habs GM Pierre Gauthier that "this is 100 per cent not the case."

Johannson returned a call to Inside/Out as a courtesy. He agrees with Gauthier that Price's contract should not and will not be negotiated through the media.

Last edited by Andy: 08-04-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Interesting, so Price wants the shorter term deal? does that mean they're only apart on the money? or does PG want a longer term deal because he believes Price can be a top goalie in the league and by the end of the deal, Price will be earning less than his actual value.

Its going to be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
After Price's split season with halak(41 games for price) his value is lower than what it would be next year. Them wanting to do a shorter team deal is only normal as they want to raise his value to get more money next year or the year after. Whereas, the habs would rather take advantage now and sign a longer term. Pretty obvious I guess.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JackZap

Hes gonna gamble like Plekanec. No way his numbers next year will be as bad as this year so hes looking to pimp his record so he can sign a bigger contract when his numbers are better.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Must be money, a short term deal is what Gauthier should want, unless he's very confident Price will turn it up and he wants to get him long term to save some money in the future.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Ginu

I wouldn't even say it's the money. I'm almost certain that Gauthier is trying to pull off a trade and needs to keep the flexibility and trade negotiation to a reasonable level. If we're up against the cap, it's more likely that our trading partner would try to up the ante knowing we're in a tight position. IMO PG has an agreement with Price but isn't announcing it because I guarantee that Price is getting calls regarding offer sheets. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kostitsyn and a defenseman traded knowing Willie Mitchell has us as one of his 4 teams. That would put Eller on the top 2 lines to play with bonafide players. I don't know what we'd get back in the trade (like a 3rd line center and a prospect) but that's what makes sense to me as it stands right now.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
Interesting, so Price wants the shorter term deal? does that mean they're only apart on the money? or does PG want a longer term deal because he believes Price can be a top goalie in the league and by the end of the deal, Price will be earning less than his actual value.

I would expect less money on a shorter term deal. Like I suspected, it doesn't seem to be much about dollar but about length. I'm pretty sure Gauthier would like to get him at a good price now, so if he does do well this season, his performance would exceed his salary. But his agent recognizes the talent Price has and if Price does really well this year he can easily get double what is being offered if he does sign a one year deal.

Old
ClasslessGuy

Maybe Price wants a 1 year deal to get a good season and get a 3,5m 4m deal for x year next year. PG probably want to lock him up with a 2-3-4 years 2,5 or 2m

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
Maybe Price wants a 1 year deal to get a good season and get a 3,5m 4m deal for x year next year. PG probably want to lock him up with a 2-3-4 years 2,5 or 2m
That's what I'm thinking after I saw this article. Before I thought Price wanted a 3 year deal but Gauthier wanted shorter as that's what was being reported, but it now seems to be the exact opposite.

Looks like Price's agent wants to take a Plekanec type approach.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

marinaro today said something like

The habs want a shorted term deal; 1-2 years. Price does not mind that but wants more money that they are offering, hence now the Price camp is looking for a longer contract with a higher total value.

we shall see

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I wouldn't even say it's the money. I'm almost certain that Gauthier is trying to pull off a trade and needs to keep the flexibility and trade negotiation to a reasonable level. If we're up against the cap, it's more likely that our trading partner would try to up the ante knowing we're in a tight position. IMO PG has an agreement with Price but isn't announcing it because I guarantee that Price is getting calls regarding offer sheets. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kostitsyn and a defenseman traded knowing Willie Mitchell has us as one of his 4 teams. That would put Eller on the top 2 lines to play with bonafide players. I don't know what we'd get back in the trade (like a 3rd line center and a prospect) but that's what makes sense to me as it stands right now.
Do you have a link to any of this or are just guessing? Willie mitchell has us as one of his 4 teams? He's UFA, is he really going to limit himself to 4 teams?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
marinaro today said something like

The habs want a shorted term deal; 1-2 years. Price does not mind that but wants more money that they are offering, hence now the Price camp is looking for a longer contract with a higher total value.

we shall see
The article by his agent says the exact opposite. Which makes you question how much marinaro actually knows.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:36 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Do you have a link to any of this or are just guessing? Willie mitchell has us as one of his 4 teams? He's UFA, is he really going to limit himself to 4 teams?

edit:

According to Sportsnet Pacific Willie Mitchell has been contacted by 12 teams since July 1st and as of today he has narrowed it down to 4 teams..

Vancouver Canucks
Washington Capitals
San Jose Sharks
Detroit Red Wings

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Was just listenning to Randy Tieman, he said: "BIG NEWS... BIG NEWS JUST HAPPENED.. we'll tell you all about it when we come back"

But it's only A-Rod's 600th HR

LOL

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post

Good!! I think a short-term deal is the way to go with Price right now. He still has to prove his worth so give him this year to prove it and then sign him long-term after that if he plays well. He has to earn something in his career, he can't have everything just handed to him.

No sense rushing and signing him to a long term deal if he's never going to amount to the #1 goalie everybody thinks he should be....then we're stuck with a struggling young goalie that has a long, ugly contract....kinda like Tim Thomas.....nobody wants to take a chance on him because he's an average goalie at best and he's making $6 million a season.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
Good!! I think a short-term deal is the way to go with Price right now. He still has to prove his worth so give him this year to prove it and then sign him long-term after that if he plays well. He has to earn something in his career, he can't have everything just handed to him.

No sense rushing and signing him to a long term deal if he's never going to amount to the #1 goalie everybody thinks he should be....then we're stuck with a struggling young goalie that has a long, ugly contract....kinda like Tim Thomas.....nobody wants to take a chance on him because he's an average goalie at best and he's making $6 million a season.
If it's long-term I don't think it's montreal offering him big bucks. Gauthier probably recognizes that if there is a time to sign a player long-term and for cheap it would be now. He probably wants to sign Price at 3 years 2.5 million so that way if Price plays to where we know he can, he would have a player who's performance would exceed his cap hit, which is extremely important in the cap world.

However, Price and his agent recognize that if Price signs a one year deal and does well, like he can, he can cash in next year considering Montreal has a lot of cap room.

Looking at the negotiations this way clarifies why it's taking so long. It's not easy signing a contract.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
maxpower2010*

It's going to be pretty disastrous if his contract is comparable to Halak's.

maxpower2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Ketzlaf

I think Gauthier wants to sign Price long-term to 'eat up' some of his free agency years. Price wants the opposite, as he probably wants to test the market as soon as possible.

Anyways, Eklund is saying Hiller + Ryan for Price, so we shouldn't worry too much about it.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post

If I was Gauthier I'd try and sign him for under 3 mil for 3-4 years if I could. Otherwise, do 2 years at 1.5-2 mil.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
I think Gauthier wants to sign Price long-term to 'eat up' some of his free agency years. Price wants the opposite, as he probably wants to test the market as soon as possible.

Anyways, Eklund is saying Hiller + Ryan for Price, so we shouldn't worry too much about it.
It's not necessarily that he wants to test the market, he's coming off a year where he sat behind Halak for most of the last 4 months, so his bargaining power is not as high as it could be in 1-2 years if he takes the next step and becomes a top 10 goalie...then he's be looking at a long term deal in the 4.5-6 mil range.

His situation is a bit similar to Plekanec last year(except he won't be a UFA next summer).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Bitterman

Wow, Tony Marinaro on Team990 looks like a complete idiot after just saying he's heard that Price wants big money on a 5 year deal. Oops

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not necessarily that he wants to test the market, he's coming off a year where he sat behind Halak for most of the last 4 months, so his bargaining power is not as high as it could be in 1-2 years if he takes the next step and becomes a top 10 goalie...then he's be looking at a long term deal in the 4.5-6 mil range.

His situation is a bit similar to Plekanec last year(except he won't be a UFA next summer).
There goes the Theory that trading Halak gave Price more bargaining power

Old
08-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
Wow, Tony Marinaro on Team990 looks like a complete idiot after just saying he's heard that Price wants big money on a 5 year deal. Oops
Another one added to the list I guess.

Old
08-04-2010, 01:08 PM
maxpower2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post

I would do that in a second. Hell I'd do Ryan for Price straight up.

If we're going to have a money hungry player I'd rather it be a 35 goal scorer than a mid-tier goaltender.

maxpower2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Trembz420

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Hes gonna gamble like Plekanec. No way his numbers next year will be as bad as this year so hes looking to pimp his record so he can sign a bigger contract when his numbers are better.
Perfectly said

Trembz420 is offline   Reply With Quote