HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings Forward Prospect Oscar Moller: About To Take A Big Step?

Old
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
null33

He'd better.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

I really hope he does. He's someone I like rooting for...all the energy and heart in the world.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
johnjm22

Why does an article like this get done on Moller over guys like Parse, or Lewis?

For a guy that hasn't even proven himself in the minors, Moller sure does get a lot of buzz around here.

Quote:
Last fall, Moller, 21, was assigned to the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League, the Kings’ primary minor league affiliate, to start the 2009-10 season, a demotion of sorts. He played in 43 regular season games with the Monarchs, scoring 19 goals and adding 28 assists for 47 points with 26 penalty minutes.
He played 59 games (including playoffs), and scored 40 points (17g, 23a).

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:39 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Great work, I enjoy these articles focusing on one player that you maybe don't get to hear all that much about.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Why does an article like this get done on Moller over guys like Parse, or Lewis?

For a guy that hasn't even proven himself in the minors, Moller sure does get a lot of buzz around here.

I'd say his shot and quick release as well as his drive to the net mentality for a player of his size makes Moller a much more intriguing prospect than Parse or Lewis.

Just look at how he scores his goals, http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8474114

And he hasn't exactly been put into a position to score goals either. That will eventually come though.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Damnit. I hate the AHL's stats web site. Thanks for catching that. I read the site wrong.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
RightKinger

Doubt it. I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a fringe NHL-er.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'd say his shot and quick release as well as his drive to the net mentality for a player of his size makes Moller a much more intriguing prospect than Parse or Lewis.

Just look at how he scores his goals, http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8474114

And he hasn't exactly been put into a position to score goals either. That will eventually come though.
He hasn't been put in a position to score yet, because he hasn't earned it yet.

I think DL/TM/RH have given Moller NHL time as a reward for his drive and fearlessness. But at this point, he needs to spend a whole season in Manchester and prove that he can score at that level first.

And I still think he gets a disproportionate amount of recognition around here.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think people see the talent and ability is there, Moller has that Cammalleri like potential due to his ability to quickly get a shot off, but he doesn't have the Cammalleri like touch with the puck nor does he have the stocky build and lower body strength that Cammy has.

He has things to work on and is still young enough to continue to develop his game, but he is one of the few Kings prospect who shows promise offensively. I think that is where fans are hopeful to see him succeed. I wouldn't pencil him into the lineup quite yet, but should he make the team, it is either as a top six forward, or he's trade bait.

Old
08-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Johnny Utah

Sadly, I don't know if I see him making the Kings full time anytime soon.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
triplcrown

I like Oscar, but his primary value to us now
is as trade bait.

Moller/Teubert/1st
for
Robin Regehr
&
a pick

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Someone has to. As we sit right now, Dean has to be praying that something becomes of Moller or Parse next season to give us more of a scoring threat on the second line.

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

Those highlights tell me that Moller is a Coyote and Avalanche killer... I like that. Maybe he will be for us what Ronning never was (for us).

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Those highlights tell me that Moller is a Coyote and Avalanche killer... I like that. Maybe he will be for us what Ronning never was (for us).
That's a very good comparison. Ronning was knocked for his size, was eventually dealt to another team and blossomed when given the opportunity.

He used to give me fits any time the Kings played Vancouver.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
The Judge

Moeller no doubt has skill. If he shines that will just help us fill those holes a lot quicker. If he bulks up, improve his strength and first step I have no doubt he will make it as a top 6 winger in the NHL. His work ethic and leadership will make sure of that.

Keep it going Oscar.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's a very good comparison. Ronning was knocked for his size, was eventually dealt to another team and blossomed when given the opportunity.

He used to give me fits any time the Kings played Vancouver.
Its funny, the comparison initially popped into my head because Ronning was a King killer, and I found it funny that 5 of Moller's 9 goals in those highlights came against PHX and COL. Then I realized, aside from being specific team killers, the two are actually very similar players.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:29 PM
SFKingshomer

Moller needs to go to power skating school because his first stride is slow and that isn't good for a guy his size.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

take a big step.......Ya, on to a plane to play for a different team.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:30 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Moller needs to go to power skating school because his first stride is slow and that isn't good for a guy his size.
It's not good for a guy of any size.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:53 AM
ukyo

Heh, what's really interesting is watching the Ponikarovsky highlight video and then Moller's.

Moller may not be a big boy, but he scores big boy goals.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

For the impatient fans who want to get rid of Moller ASAP, might I remind you of another player who was 5'10" and was considered too small, too weak, and not fast enough to play in the NHL?

He broke into the NHL as a 20 year old and within three seasons, appeared in 82 NHL games. In those 82 games, he scored 10 goals and 25 points. When he was 23, he scored 11 goals and 15 points in 30 games. He was 24 when he finally broke through and netted 32 goals and 60 points in 78 games. A season later, he is traded.

Oscar Moller broke into the NHL as a 20 year old and appeared in 40 games, scoring 7 goals and 15 points. In his next season as a 21 year old, Moller scored 7 points in 34 games. That's 11 goals and 22 points in his first 74 games. The player I mentioned above took parts of three seasons to reach 25 points, when he was 22.

The player I'm talking about is Daniel Briere.

Old
08-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Mazokngstc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Its funny, the comparison initially popped into my head because Ronning was a King killer, and I found it funny that 5 of Moller's 9 goals in those highlights came against PHX and COL. Then I realized, aside from being specific team killers, the two are actually very similar players.
It's a damn good comparison, actually, at least in terms of potential. Ronning was never going to blow you away talent-wise, but he worked hard and brought his game along for the ride every night, and he ran hot and cold as his opportunities did. Absolutely a complementary player, but an effective one on both sides of the ice.

As it stands, Moller is either a top-six guy without a good shot or an energy guy without any kind of defensive intimidation factor. He's got the potential for improvement in his defensive zone coverage, but that's a ;png stretch to keep him on the team. However, if Moller developed a quick one-timer that he could put on net off of a faceoff with regularity, he'd be a perfect LW for Stoll/Schenn (assuming he makes the team and plays his game similarly) and Brown, good for around 20g/30a. Lacking a shot that draws defenders, he's a liability to his linemates.

Would also love to see DD teach him how to use that full-body hipcheck we saw last year--if he could get his shoulder into it, he could surprise somebody once in a while, even if he doesn't arrive with a lot of pop, he could separate a smaller winger from the puck with an all-out effort, and at least keep 'em a little more honest.

He's definitely got the heart, just remains to be seen if he can put it all together.

Mazokngstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:53 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
It's not good for a guy of any size.
True but a player with size can get by with avg. skating ability. Small players with avg. wheels tend to become AHL superstars like Darren Haydar, Jason Krog, etc.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:34 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazokngstc View Post
As it stands, Moller is either a top-six guy without a good shot or an energy guy without any kind of defensive intimidation factor. He's got the potential for improvement in his defensive zone coverage, but that's a ;png stretch to keep him on the team. However, if Moller developed a quick one-timer that he could put on net off of a faceoff with regularity, he'd be a perfect LW for Stoll/Schenn (assuming he makes the team and plays his game similarly) and Brown, good for around 20g/30a. Lacking a shot that draws defenders, he's a liability to his linemates.
Wait... what? Maybe I am blind, but from what I can tell, Moller's shot is one of his strengths.

All I ask for him is to somehow avoid getting regularly flattened and knocked off the puck. Whether he does it by improving his foot speed, or learning to sidestep checks, or just from simply bulking up doesn't matter.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote