HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lee Stempniak to Pittsburgh.

Old
08-04-2010, 12:03 PM
sparxx87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Perfect place for him? There's no cap room to sign him!
Trade Dupuis for a pick
offer 2 yrs @ 3m/per

He would be a good fit, but that puts the Pens with roughly 500k to the ceiling....IMO Kariya is a better option possibly in the 2-2.5 range.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

If the Pens want a cheap winger I propose they sign Kyle Wellwood. If they do, I bet you he outscores Kunitz.

He's kind of a streaky player, but last season he really stepped up his 2 way play and embraced his role in Vancouver as a 3rd line center. Wellwood is highly skilled tho; he has great hands and always finds the open ice. Problem is when you're playing with Steve Bernier and Tanner Glass for most of the year, that skillset really does you little credit. Bet he scores 25 goals on Crosby or Malkin's wing getting top 6 minutes. Plus, he won't cost ya more than 1.5mil.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:25 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Trade Dupuis for a pick
offer 2 yrs @ 3m/per

He would be a good fit, but that puts the Pens with roughly 500k to the ceiling....IMO Kariya is a better option possibly in the 2-2.5 range.
no way I'd do that, there is a decent chance that Stempniak puts up Dupuis like numbers without the two way game or PK ability.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Sabretip

It's been well documented on how few roster spots exist around the league for players like Stempniak. If he were smart, he'd lower his salary expectations from what he made last season ($3.5M) and sign a 1-year deal laden with bonuses with Phoenix, where he seemed to fit in with IMO.

If he repeats his end of the season heroics over an 82-game schedule, I'm sure he'll be in a better position for a raise and/or an extension next summer.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:26 PM
hockeystick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
If the Pens want a cheap winger I propose they sign Kyle Wellwood. If they do, I bet you he outscores Kunitz.

He's kind of a streaky player, but last season he really stepped up his 2 way play and embraced his role in Vancouver as a 3rd line center. Wellwood is highly skilled tho; he has great hands and always finds the open ice. Problem is when you're playing with Steve Bernier and Tanner Glass for most of the year, that skillset really does you little credit. Bet he scores 25 goals on Crosby or Malkin's wing getting top 6 minutes. Plus, he won't cost ya more than 1.5mil.
Agreed, of the remaining free agents, Wellwood probably has the best chance of putting up numbers with the Pens.

There's certainly not anything wrong with Stempniak though. He was always pretty good on the Leafs in every department except finishing. He'd get so many breakaways even strength and on the PK but could never capitalize. I guess what I'm trying to say is he'd basically be a faster version of what Guerin was last year.

hockeystick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:38 PM
LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
They basically don't have any cap space

so they are gonna start the year with Kunizt, Tancradi (?) , Talbot and Dupuis as their top 4 winger ?? have a nice season pittsburgh

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:39 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
so they are gonna start the year with Kunizt, Tancradi (?) , Talbot and Dupuis as their top 4 winger ?? have a nice season pittsburgh
Actually, it's going to look like this.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Staal/Malkin-Malkin/Staal-Tangradi/vet

I think we'll be okay.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Actually, it's going to look like this.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Staal/Malkin-Malkin/Staal-Tangradi/vet

I think we'll be okay.

I don't think they'll break the Cooke - Staal - Kennedy line

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

^ Shero said Malkin or Staal will likely be moved to the wing, so that 3rd line will be broken up.

Anyway, the forward lineup isn't any worse than last year and the Pens were top 5 in scoring last year. Having Crosby and Malkin goes a long way.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Noah23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
^ Shero said Malkin or Staal will likely be moved to the wing, so that 3rd line will be broken up.

Anyway, the forward lineup isn't any worse than last year and the Pens were top 5 in scoring last year. Having Crosby and Malkin goes a long way.
Dupuis on the 1st line makes me want to vomit

Noah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Stempniak has a decent one-timer and could bury 30 goals on his off-wing with Sidney Crosby making space for him. He's still a 2nd line tweener on any team with depth on it's wings.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:41 PM
gino718711

Horrible title. I thought you were going to have like a link or something to show that we were going to sign him but

gino718711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:26 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
And Pittsburgh's top 4 wingers ARE bonefide 2nd liners?
No, but why would the Pens move a tweener to sign a tweener for more money then their wingers currently cost? It's a backwards move.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:28 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Stempniak has a decent one-timer and could bury 30 goals on his off-wing with Sidney Crosby making space for him. He's still a 2nd line tweener on any team with depth on it's wings.
The same thing was said about Malone, Sykora, Satan, Fedotenko, Recchi, Poni, and every other winger that has played with Crosby. Want to hear the list of wingers that has been successful on Crosby's wing?

Kunitz, Guerin, Hossa, and Malkin

Very hardly as much of a sure thing as some people believe.

Old
08-04-2010, 07:30 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
no way I'd do that, there is a decent chance that Stempniak puts up Dupuis like numbers without the two way game or PK ability.
Actually, Stempniak is solid on the PK. He has one of the hardest shots in the league and works very well down low. Your joking if you think Pascal Dupuis is a better option for Crosby's wing. Stempniak would score 25-30 goals on a line with Sid and Kunitz.

IMO if Crosby had the right linemates he could score 50g-80a every season. While Stempy isn't an elite player, his offensive skillset far exceeds any other current Pens wingers.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I think Paul Kariya is the absolute best option available to the Pens right now. IF Dupuis were to be moved for a pick, IMO Kariya could be had in the 2-2.5m range.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:59 PM
gino718711

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
The same thing was said about Malone, Sykora, Satan, Fedotenko, Recchi, Poni, and every other winger that has played with Crosby. Want to hear the list of wingers that has been successful on Crosby's wing?

Kunitz, Guerin, Hossa, and Malkin

Very hardly as much of a sure thing as some people believe.
Your crazy if you dont think malone,sykora, and Recchi.

Malone had 51 pts. in 77 games in his last year with Pittsburgh. Hes a Power foward so you cant expect crazy numbers from him. The only Power forwards that put up crazy numbers are Rick Nash and Jarome Iginla and their are faster than 99% of all Power Fowards.

Sykora had 63 pts in 81 games with Sid one year. Thats all I have to say about that.

Recchi in 06-07 had 68 pts.
ALL WITH SID

Old
08-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Violent By Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by gino718711 View Post

Malone had 51 pts. in 77 games in his last year with Pittsburgh. Hes a Power foward so you cant expect crazy numbers from him. The only Power forwards that put up crazy numbers are Rick Nash and Jarome Iginla and their are faster than 99% of all Power Fowards.

Sykora had 63 pts in 81 games with Sid one year. Thats all I have to say about that.

ALL WITH SID
Malone and Sykora played with Geno more so than Sid.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:12 PM
JTG

Quote:

ALL WITH SID
Malone and Sykora played with Malkin. The only time they were on the ice the same time as Sid was on the powerplay.

Recchi didn't play the whole year with Sid, if my memory serves me correctly. He started out quick, but then was missing more than he was scoring, which prompted him going to Atlanta.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Satan, Fedotenko & Poni were terrible with Sid.

Malone had more chemistry with Malkin. He had a few good stretches with Sid, but nowhere near what he did with Malkin.

Sykora had zero chemistry with Sid. He was signed to play with Crosby, but they bombed together and Sykora wound up finding chemistry with Malkin.

Recchi & Sid worked well together until Recchi couldn't keep up anymore.

Sid doesn't always click with other players. I think the Pens are better off renting his wingers first and then seeing if they can fit them in long-term if they do find chemistry together. It just isn't automatic that they'll click.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
gino718711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
Malone and Sykora played with Geno more so than Sid.
Malone played with Sid and Hossa and when Sykora put that season up he played with Sid and Malone because we didnt have Hossa yet.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
JTG

Quote:
Malone played with Sid and Hossa and when Sykora put that season up he played with Sid and Malone because we didnt have Hossa yet.
No he didn't. It was Dupuis-Crosby-Hossa.

Before Malone's breakout year, he played anywhere from lines 1-3. He had some looks with Sid, but it never looked good. He finally found his spot with Geno in the 07-08 season.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Violent By Design

I would kill for a Kunitz - Sid - Hossa line, so much great chemistry there.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
gino718711

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
No he didn't. It was Dupuis-Crosby-Hossa.

Before Malone's breakout year, he played anywhere from lines 1-3. He had some looks with Sid, but it never looked good. He finally found his spot with Geno in the 07-08 season.
I belive you but I almost was positive that it was Malone Sid Hossa the year we lost. As i think of it more ya Sykora had streches with Sid but only played the powerplay and like 20 30 games with Sid.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Kunitz, Crosby, Hossa

*drool*

Anyway, Malone Crosby Hossa did play together for a game or 2 in the Finals, but that's the only time I remember it happening.

Sykora almost exclusively played with Malkin. The only time he didn't was when he started his first season in Pittsburgh. He started out with Sid, they sucked together, and then he was miscast as a 3rd liner by MT before being put with Malkin and rejuvenating his career somewhat for a year or so.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:33 PM
gino718711

Do you guys think we will sign anyone else? And if so who do you think it will be?