HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators Mt. Puckmore - Results are IN! - Do you agree or disagree?

View Poll Results: Who would be on your Predators Mt. Puckmore? (Choose FOUR)
Martin Erat 2 4.00%
David Legwand 35 70.00%
Paul Kariya 3 6.00%
David Poile 27 54.00%
Cliff Ronning 5 10.00%
Steve Sullivan 13 26.00%
Ryan Suter 10 20.00%
Kimmo Timonen 0 0%
Jordin Tootoo 4 8.00%
Barry Trotz 38 76.00%
Scott Walker 1 2.00%
Pete Weber/Terry Crisp 5 10.00%
Shea Weber 39 78.00%
Tomas Vokoun 17 34.00%
OTHER - Specify in thread 2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
in between Ronning & Kariya
Haha yeah I saw it after I had already voted. Thanks though

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
The Mt. Puckmore selections so far have IIRC only been players - no coaches or GMs or owners. Therefore... Weber, Legwand, Vokoun, and Ronning, with HM to Timonen.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Very surprised Kimmo Timonen hasn't received any votes yet, but everyone else has...

I thought Kimmo was a long-shot candidate, but included him based on where he ranked in terms of games played and statistically in franchise history.

Would Greg Johnson or Tom Fitzgerald have been a better choice to list as a selection?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:34 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Very surprised Kimmo Timonen hasn't received any votes yet, but everyone else has...

I thought Kimmo was a long-shot candidate, but included him based on where he ranked in terms of games played and statistically in franchise history.

Would Greg Johnson or Tom Fitzgerald have been a better choice to list as a selection?
In a word, NO.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The Mt. Puckmore selections so far have IIRC only been players - no coaches or GMs or owners. Therefore... Weber, Legwand, Vokoun, and Ronning, with HM to Timonen.
Quote:
Welcome to Puck Daddy's August series, "Mount Puckmore" which will feature fans, bloggers and various media personalities of all 30 teams choosing the four defining faces of their franchise. These four people are who you remember most when you think of these teams -- whether they be players, coaches or executives.
While it hasn't happened yet...I can't imagine Nashville's Mt. Puckmore without Trotz or Poile. They are likely the first two faces people think of when they are asked about the Nashville Predators...

Old
08-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
In a word, NO.
Just for clarification, I'm asking if Fitzgerald, Johnson, or even Arnott would be a better selection option than Timonen?

Old
08-04-2010, 08:47 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Just for clarification, I'm asking if Fitzgerald, Johnson, or even Arnott would be a better selection option than Timonen?
Arnott possibly. I still think there are a lot of guys that get thought of long before Fitzy and Johnson.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:52 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
While it hasn't happened yet...I can't imagine Nashville's Mt. Puckmore without Trotz or Poile. They are likely the first two faces people think of when they are asked about the Nashville Predators...
We are in the Nashville bubble. The first person most people will think of when they think of Nashville is Tootoo. I asked my cousin a few years back who he knew from Nashville and the first word out of his mouth without hesitation was Tootoo. My cousin was also 9 or 10 at the time but kids know rosters at that age. I know I could've named pretty much every roster in every major sport at that age. Just throwing that into the equation as well.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Fair point. Missed that. Oh well.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Webersmashpuck

Trotz - I just picked one non-player so I chose the face over the brains. But both are not bad choices.

Legwand - Our first ever pick, played in every season with the team so far.

Tootoo - I remember drafting Tootoo and since then he has been a fan favorite. I know this is my unpopular choice but everyone in Nashville knows who Jordin Tootoo is.

Weber - While to me, Weber doesnt have the same mystic as a Vokoun or even some of the other important players of the past he will eventually. He is also our first superstar and first homegrown captain.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Ahem ..... I'm the obvious write in candidate here.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Broom of the System

Still a rook, but...

Poile, Trotz, Legwand, Suter

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Seth Lake

Keeping track of the "rookie" votes and TMI's change we currently have:

David Poile +3
Barry Trotz +2
David Legwand +2
Ryan Suter +1
OTHER - David Freeman +1
Tomas Vokoun -1

Good responses thus far. I'm gonna go with Poile, Trotz, Legwand, Weber myself...but Tootoo is definitely giving Legwand a run for his money IMO due to the fact that he was the only available option for any customized Predators apparel at NHL.com for many years...

Old
08-05-2010, 06:58 AM
MrJoshua

I voted before reading the thread, and it's interesting how many of the rest of you followed my same train of thought.

Poile & Trotz - if there's one thing I love about this team, it's that it's a TEAM. And nobody is more responsible for that than these two guys (and their staff members, of course). I think it says a lot that the first two names that came into my head were the GM and the head coach.

Weber - the first Captain to be drafted by the team. The first genuine superstar to be drafted by the team. Everybody around the league knows who Shea Weber is. He represents a turning point for the franchise, and may be the single best piece of evidence that Poile's long-term plan is coming together.

Legwand - People can say what they want about Legwand, but he's a consistent force on the ice. He's the living representation of Trotz's system. He plays a hard, disciplined game with responsible defense at the forefront of his mind and has the speed and ability to make other teams pay for their mistakes. This is a guy who has bought into the system completely and will do whatever the coach asks. Get between Kariya and Erat as the first-line center? Absolutely. Play with Smithson and Ward in a shutdown role? You got it. Go out on the penalty kill? No problem. Go out on the power play? You bet. He does it all, and he does it all well. He's not a superstar. He's not a point-per-game player. He's not a forty-goal scorer. What he is, is one of the best all-around do-it-all players in the league, and whatever we like to say about building defense first, the simple truth is that when Legwand is on the ice, the play tends to revolve around him.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:43 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Thanks Seth for starting this thread. Discussion with you and PredsBlog on Twitter this morning reminded me of it.

I have to go with Trotz, Poile, Legwand and Weber.

Trotz and Poile are much more the face of the Predators than any player.

The team game employed by Nashville makes it difficult to choose players, but I chose Legwand and Weber.

I chose Legwand for two different reasons. Being the first draft pick and essentially here since day one, he's a bridge to the past from the player perspective. More importantly, his play most epitomizes the style of play of the Nashville Predators as well as his unselfishness in playing any role the coaches need him to play.

I chose Weber for two reasons as well. He (along with Suter) represents the new direction and potential for the franchise. He and Suter are the first truly elite players drafted by the organization and he's the first Pred's draftee to wear the C in Nashville.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Thanks Seth for starting this thread. Discussion with you and PredsBlog on Twitter this morning reminded me of it.

I have to go with Trotz, Poile, Legwand and Weber.
Yeah, with all the activity on the boards today I totally forgot about this caused it got pushed down the forum, but I've now voted and believe that after 48 hours and 52 votes we can declare our winners who each appeared on over 50% of the ballots cast...

According to the voters here at HFBoards, the Predators Mt. Puckmore should include the faces of:

Barry Trotz, Shea Weber, David Legwand, and David Poile...

The final results were as follows:
1. Barry Trotz - 40 votes
2. Shea Weber - 39 votes
3. David Legwand - 37 votes
4. David Poile - 30 votes
5. Tomas Vokoun - 16 votes
6. Steve Sullivan - 13 votes
7. Ryan Suter - 11 votes
T-8. Cliff Ronning - 5 votes
T-8. Pete Weber/Terry Crisp - 5 votes
10. Jordin Tootoo - 4 votes
11. Paul Kariya - 3 votes
12. Martin Erat - 2 votes
T-13. Scott Walker - 1 vote
T-13. OTHER - David Freeman - 1 vote
T-13. OTHER - Gnash - 1 vote

Discuss...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 08-06-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old
08-06-2010, 12:11 AM
braindead

I don't see how fans that have been with the team since the very, very beginning could not have Vokoun on the list... in fact, I think it reflects the growth of our fanbase that he isn't there, which I guess is good. Never has a trade ripped the heart out of the fanbase- and the player- like that one did. He was the Preds: fat kid left exposed to expansion draft, made good with heart and hard work and passion.

I know it's heresy to say it, but to me Weber isn't there yet for the top 4. He will be, no doubt. As of now, he isn't.

One final thought: Scott Walker was on his way to becoming a Predator immortal when he fell into the player rep swamp and was sucked under. He could have been a contender... I wonder if he knows it.

Trotz, Poile, TV and Legwand for me. Soon to be Trotz, TV, Legwand, Weber. Honorable mentions to Sully.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Well, 3 of my picks made it.

Im not suprised that Freeman (my 4th) didnt make it on, I'm just shocked i was the only one to pick him. He is one of the main reasons there is still hockey in Smashville. To me, he represents the growth, commitment, and pride of this fan base, which is why i put him on there.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:26 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
T-13. OTHER - David Freeman - 1 vote
T-13. OTHER - Gnash - 1 vote

Discuss...
Don't forget....

T-13. OTHER - 101st_fan - 1 vote

BTW, where did your votes go and why (since you seemed to be giving it significant thought on Twitter yesterday)?

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Don't forget....

T-13. OTHER - 101st_fan - 1 vote

BTW, where did your votes go and why (since you seemed to be giving it significant thought on Twitter yesterday)?
In the end, I stuck with my original 4 - Poile, Trotz, Weber, and Legwand.

Poile and Trotz were without a doubt the two faces that had to be there. They are the first people I think about when I hear Nashville Predators and that has everything to do with the fact that they are the architects of the team. I think my thoughts can best be expressed in this paragraph I wrote last season for The Dark Blue Jacket blog:

Quote:
Bottom line is that there is a culture within the Predators organization referred to as "The Predators Way" and it begins and ends with the concept of "family". In a sense, if you really wanted to simplify it, within the hockey operations side of the organization Trotz is the Dad, Poile could be considered Grandpa, Peterson, Horachek and even video coach Robert Bouchard, goalie guru Mitch Korn, and even strength coach David Good are uncles, and guys like Lane Lambert (Milwaukee - AHL), Martin Gelinas (player development), and all of the professional and amateur scouts throughout the organization are cousins. It's a big family, but one that shares a common goal and works hard for each other because of the respect shared throughout the family.

It's a unique story, but one that continues to evolve and work as the years continue to fly by...
http://darkbluejacket.blogspot.com/2...z-part-iv.html

The next choice was Weber due to the fact that he truly is our first homegrown player widely accepted around the league as a star, he is our first homegrown team captain, etc...but what really puts him above the rest is that he is the embodiment and the realization of David Poile's plan that was put into place to build the Nashville Predators into a Stanley Cup contending team from Day 1.

We cannot afford to go out and sign this type of player, therefore we put our time and best resources into scouting so that we can draft these types of guys and develop them into true Nashville Predators. Shea Weber wears that jersey with honor, he carries himself with pride on and off the ice, and he is fiercely competitive because he believes in this team and this organization and simply knows no other way. I have full confidence in Shea Weber to lead this team to the next level and I don't believe we will be disappointed.

The final one was the one I was debating, but David Legwand was my initial fourth face when I first saw the Mt. Puckmore series and thought about who should represent the Predators and ultimately no one ever surpassed him...although I did consider several others along the way.

When you open the Predators record books you will find his name atop almost every category. He was the first ever draft pick of the franchise, he is the only player to have played at least a game in every season in franchise history, he is the all-time leader in games played, goals, assists, and points.

But thinking back, what really sealed it for me is that he is a guy that has bought into The Predator Way. Sure, he has never fulfilled his draft projections, but he has evolved into a player that contributes in so many ways to the success of the team every night. The team's record since the lockout with and without Legwand in the lineup speaks for itself and I can't help but remember that after tearing his ACL back in 2005-06 season and seeing the team struggle in his absence as they allowed the swelling to go down, he chose to delay surgery and rehab his knee so that he could rejoin the team and help lead them to the playoffs. While he definitely struggled in certain aspects of his game upon returning to the ice (primarily that he wasn't as aggressive in the offensive end of the rink), but he soldiered through every night and found a way to contribute and at the end of the season...he and the team had achieved the goal they set in training camp...they had made the playoffs again. To do this though, Legwand walked with a cane and stayed off his knee as much as possible away from the rink. He showered after each game sitting on a stool because he couldn't stand. To me, that showed tremendous heart and pride in The Predator Way.

So for the same reason I included Shea Weber on Mt. Puckmore, I believe Legwand deserves to be there too because ultimately he has worn our jersey proudly for 11 seasons already and is signed on for another four. Among the players through the years that will play their entire careers in the Predators uniform, Legwand will likely be the first...

There you have it. My four faces for the Predators version of Mt. Puckmore...