HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Music

Old
07-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Mikey Radz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I will definitely check your music out, as it's probably my favorite genre. Also, Dillinger Four is so money.

Whoever it was that also mentioned Against Me! is my hero. Tom Gabel is the ****ing man.
Check out my avatar. Tom Gabel is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. Over the past 4 years every time they've come to NY I have gotten to chat and hang out with Tom. This past June I saw them in the Webster Hall basement and Tom gave me some beers!

Mikey Radz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Radz View Post
Check out my avatar. Tom Gabel is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. Over the past 4 years every time they've come to NY I have gotten to chat and hang out with Tom. This past June I saw them in the Webster Hall basement and Tom gave me some beers!
fun fact: Tom Gable is the most hated man in Gainsville, Florida.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:07 AM
asparkoflife

Quote:
If you like all of these bands you should totally check out Latterman. Great band.
Latterman RULED. I loved that band. Northeast Hot Water Music.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:09 AM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Muse
Explosions in the Sky
God Speed You Black Emperor
Pelican
Mono
Thrice
Alexisonfire
City and Colour
I love every one of these bands. good stuff g00se.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:51 AM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
I'm sure he is, which is sad because he is really a stand up guy, so are the rest of the dudes in Against Me!. It's insane how much **** Against Me! gets, even though their old and new stuff is awesome.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:27 AM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I will definitely check your music out, as it's probably my favorite genre. Also, Dillinger Four is so money.

Whoever it was that also mentioned Against Me! is my hero. Tom Gabel is the ****ing man.
Thanks man! Like i said some of the music on their is a bit older and not as good as the new stuff we didnt record yet. And yeah Against Me! and D4 are amazing

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:28 AM
In Prust We Trust*

Angels and airwaves!
And Kid Cudi!

In Prust We Trust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Cmox

Quote:
I'm sure he is, which is sad because he is really a stand up guy, so are the rest of the dudes in Against Me!. It's insane how much **** Against Me! gets, even though their old and new stuff is awesome.
Ehh, you know punk ethics, haha. I love Reinventing and a lot of the stuff before they went electric. I'm not too into the stuff after minus some songs here and there. Change is good though.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Ehh, you know punk ethics, haha. I love Reinventing and a lot of the stuff before they went electric. I'm not too into the stuff after minus some songs here and there. Change is good though.
I love Reinventing, probably one of my all time favorite albums. Love all their stuff after too. Punk ethics are so contradicting sometimes haha. I can understand people not being into their new stuff, but the whole "sellout" thing is ********. But your right change is good!

Old
07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Cmox

Quote:
I love Reinventing, probably one of my all time favorite albums. Love all their stuff after too. Punk ethics are so contradicting sometimes haha. I can understand people not being into their new stuff, but the whole "sellout" thing is ********. But your right change is good!
Do you go to any of the millions of Fests that happen each year?

Old
07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Force EVERY player to listen to Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Deicide, Carcass, Death, Cryptopsy, Exodus, Skeletonwitch, and Dream Theater and they'll stop being a bunch of limp wrists.
There's two of us here!

Maryland Deathfest anyone???

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
acapps10

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
There's still some great stuff out there that echoes Genesis, Yes, Rush, etc. all that classic rock stuff. A lot of it is underground or not on mainstream radio.

Like The Derek Trucks Band is a great newer "jam" band with world influences but most of you probably know of them already from his excellent work with The Allman Brothers.

Of Montreal is like a cracked out Indie Rock version of Genesis with their albums being thematic and play-like.

Comets On Fire is more Black Sabbath than Wolfmother and Dead Meadow think they are.

Janelle Monae sounds like a cross between James Brown and Outkast with a Peter Gabriel, Neil Peart lyrical sci fi thing going on.

There's always great metal; Baroness is cool, Mastadon of course, High On Fire, one band I really recommend is Intronaut who are gonna be in NY in a few weeks. They're a melodic death metal band with a fretless bassplayer so it can kind of sound like old Sepultura meets Return To Forever/Weather Report at times.

Plenty of great stuff out there. As Mike Patton said in a Maxim interview the early part of last decade: "Modern music is like a sea of s*** you have to hold your nose and dive head first in, but eventually you'll get to a treasure chest."
comets on fire are pretty awesome, ever heard of black mountain or dead confederate?

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Do you go to any of the millions of Fests that happen each year?
My friends and I always plan trips across the country to go to some Fest, always falls through. I used to go to Warped Tour every year when I was a young punk rawker. This year I went to Siren Festival at Coney Island instead.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

For guys that were pimping The Gaslight Anthem, all I have to say is thank you. I'm off to download their albums now after listening to a few of their songs. They're also from my neck of the woods too

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
is that the show with the wonder years? I've never gotten into Streetllight Manifesto but The Wonder Years are pretty amazing.
yes it was. i love them... both bands were awesome that night

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Lately I've been listening to Against Me!, The Gaslight Anthem, Modest Mouse, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Bruce Springsteen, Radiohead, The Replacements, The Clash, Brand New, The Menzingers, Weezer, Bomb The Music Industry! and Fake Problems.

Basically a big mix of Indie and punk rock. Also I've been a huge Green Day fan since I was a youngin so I'll always love them.
i love green day, gonna see them for my 17th time on aug 14. im gonna see the sleeping the night before on the 13th, story of the year on the 9th, silverstein tomorrow and Less Than Jake on Aug 19

Old
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Less Than Jake is the best band from Gainsville Florida

Old
08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
For guys that were pimping The Gaslight Anthem, all I have to say is thank you. I'm off to download their albums now after listening to a few of their songs. They're also from my neck of the woods too
one of my favorite bands..so underrated, but i like it that way.

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:26 PM
17futurecap

Anyone go to the Garden for Arcade Fire tonight, or going tomorrow? I like the new album, but still not as good as Neon Bible which I thought was great.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:33 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Been listening to a lot of 90s rock lately. Ahh the good ol'days.

Today's rock with the exception of a handful of bands I find just blah.

I'd rather listen to Top 40 radio, at least that stuff can be danced to.

I like mostly rock from the 70s - 90s. Still some good bands in the 00s, but not like there used to be.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 08-05-2010 at 08:47 AM.
WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:07 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Been listening to a lot of 90s rock lately. Ahh the good ol'days.

Today's rock with the exception of a handful of bands I find just blah.

I'd rather listen to Top 40 radio, at least that stuff can be danced to.

I like mostly rock from the 70s - 90s. Still some good bands in the 00s, but not like there used to be.

Thats how i feel, not much thats good out there right now, but its probably because im 31 and its partly a generational thing. A few bands here and there but nothing like the explosion of the 90's grunge and general great music.

When im not listening to House music, Progressive, Minimal, etc... I like a lot of classic rock. Bruce ( i was never really into him up until about 2 years ago), Pink Floyd (one of my favs- if anyone hasnt done The Darkside of OZ you are missing out on a truly great experience), Billy Joel, Petty, Doors, Police - basically Q104.3 stuff...

I like any kind of rock from the 90's really, especially the Pearl Jams, Nirvanas, STP etc... Don't mind Coldplay and some of the english bands. Love Radiohead considering how they bridge the techno gap. NIN too. Anything 80's is great too.

My favorite band of all time is Tool. I think they are just different, extremely deep, complex and just f'in awesome. The multi-layer songs they have are a trip. Sometimes it takes 50 times to listen to them before you get it all. Seen them live quite a few times, never disappointed. Can't wait for something new from them. Also love the Eagles. Seen them a few times and and they are fantastic. I don't know why I like them so much. Maybe my parents had it blasting when i was in the womb or something.

Always loved music but I wish i could get into some of the newer stuff. I think i have to open my mind a little more to newer generation music like Arcade Fire, Muse, Gaslight and MGMT - i like some of their stuff its different. Some of the Killers stuff i like after I saw them live in concert. I think the lead singer from Company of Thieves is uber talented. I was watching that Coachella Festival concert on Palladia and saw some new bands. Some of them were pretty damn good. Never was into Rap though. Classical ill actually listen to but dont know anything about it. Soundtracks are cool too.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-05-2010 at 09:20 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:19 AM
terrrrrible

I FINALLY got to see The Gaslight Anthem last weekend in Rhode Island, and what an awesome show it was. Kind of pissed I missed Tim Barry though.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Here's my 90s single list. All songs I believe were singles at some point or another. I'm probably missing some stuff. There's also stuff that I didn't put on because I didn't like a band, but anyway.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote