HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pothier signs to play in Switzerland

Old
08-04-2010, 11:02 AM
StormCast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I think JR has performed terribly the last few years, but that's not as extreme as something like, "oh you don't like Corvo I guess we should trade everyone that has ever made a mistake." That is down right dumb... At least the fire JR is based on an opinion that a GM is going a bad job overall, supported by facts, that while you may not agree with, are reasonable and possible. The statement he made is not reasonable and was made to actually say that I think Corvo should not have been signed because he made one or two mistakes, when CLEARLY my point was that we have enough offensive Dmen that would rather spend time scoring points than being defensively responsible... I even went so far as to say I wouldn't mind Corvo if we didn't sign Babs... So, yes, his post was dumb because it had NOTHING to do with anything I said....

Also, like I have said about 30 times already, I like Skinner, but I really really hate passing on 2 good D prospects because JR automatically doesn't like to take D in the first round... If we had drafted in the lower to mid teens, I'd have loved the pick with no complaints, so my complaint to JR is more on who he passed on than who he took... I just hope Skinner hits his upside and we aren't scraping for good top pairing Dmen in a few years
Herein lies the problem though. There is no telling how Fowler or Gormley develop but to automatically assume they would be top pairing Dmen is a major stretch. I have to question how much you have seen of Fowler vs. the hype created about him to come to that conclusion. He is far from a sure thing regardless of how often his name got thrown around.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Herein lies the problem though. There is no telling how Fowler or Gormley develop but to automatically assume they would be top pairing Dmen is a major stretch. I have to question how much you have seen of Fowler vs. the hype created about him to come to that conclusion. He is far from a sure thing regardless of how often his name got thrown around.
Here is what I will share regarding Fowler and Gormley.

My brother had dinner with the Senators' director of player personnel a few weeks back. Like I and so many others, my bro was kind of baffled seeing Fowler and Gorley fall as far as they did in the draft, especially considering how Fowler was the "gimme #3" pick according to so many scouting outlets, and Gormley was pretty much a sure top 5 or 6. So, when the opportunity presented itself, my bro asked the guy, "What happened?"

He responded that both Fowler and Gormley were seen to have competitive issues. (He specifically mentioned the fact that a guy named Ellis, not Fowler, took over when the going got tough - I don't know much about junior hockey, but I assume this was at the Memorial Cup?) When the heat was on, they didn't exactly step up their games. Further, there were concerns about both players' ability to handle NHL forwards physically. In his own words: "If they can't push anyone around in junior hockey, then there's no chance of handling an NHL forward night in and night out." Basically, they are seen as being weak in their own end (on a physical level).

Ok that's all...

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I think JR has performed terribly the last few years, but that's not as extreme as something like, "oh you don't like Corvo I guess we should trade everyone that has ever made a mistake." That is down right dumb... At least the fire JR is based on an opinion that a GM is going a bad job overall, supported by facts, that while you may not agree with, are reasonable and possible. The statement he made is not reasonable and was made to actually say that I think Corvo should not have been signed because he made one or two mistakes, when CLEARLY my point was that we have enough offensive Dmen that would rather spend time scoring points than being defensively responsible... I even went so far as to say I wouldn't mind Corvo if we didn't sign Babs... So, yes, his post was dumb because it had NOTHING to do with anything I said....
No, your point was that he earned the nickname "UH OH" Corvo for a reason, which was for his especially poor defensive play in Ottawa. The poor defensive play he has yet to show in Carolina. He has made defensive mistakes, but what player hasn't? And for the most part, there's nothing to indicate that Corvo has made more mistakes here than any of our other defensemen. So the post was fine, officer.

Secondly, your concerns are mostly unfounded, because you treat offensive and defensive defensemen as if they're mutually exclusive. Yes, we have a majority of offensive defensemen on our team. That doesn't mean we're lacking defensively, however. Pitkanen and Corvo both play the defensive side of the game well enough that they're really not worth worrying about, despite their offensive tag. Until either defenseman starts playing like Melichar out there, don't worry about it.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
No, your point was that he earned the nickname "UH OH" Corvo for a reason, which was for his especially poor defensive play in Ottawa. The poor defensive play he has yet to show in Carolina. He has made defensive mistakes, but what player hasn't? And for the most part, there's nothing to indicate that Corvo has made more mistakes here than any of our other defensemen. So the post was fine, officer.

Secondly, your concerns are mostly unfounded, because you treat offensive and defensive defensemen as if they're mutually exclusive. Yes, we have a majority of offensive defensemen on our team. That doesn't mean we're lacking defensively, however. Pitkanen and Corvo both play the defensive side of the game well enough that they're really not worth worrying about, despite their offensive tag. Until either defenseman starts playing like Melichar out there, don't worry about it.
Well said, it seems that many people on these boards think that being offensively talented from the back end means that you can't play D better than I can...

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Um no, I think there plenty of offensively gifted Dmen that play in their own end well, Corvo is just not one of them

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote