HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bieksa to Tampa Bay

Old
08-05-2010, 01:53 AM
flames123

vCash: 500
Somewhere around a 3rd round pick. Kevin Bieksa is not worth that 3.9M? That kills a lot of his value.

TB doesn't really have much extra on their roster so nothing will be coming off of it, except maybe Lashoff or Smaby.

Where is TB with Paul Ranger? Is he still having injury issues or what? I don't really pay much attension to the Eastern stuff.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:12 AM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Where is TB with Paul Ranger? Is he still having injury issues or what? I don't really pay much attension to the Eastern stuff.
His absence the last year isn't directly injury related, or it would have had different cap/salary ramifications last year. Its something personal, something that required and received team and league approval to go do whatever it is he needed to go do. Its never been mentioned publicly what the issue is. He's been tendered a QO, hasn't accepted, and rumors are circulating that he's probably not coming back this upcoming year either.

Back on topic...

Value-wise, I think most of the Canuck fans in this thread are spot on. Talent for talent Bieksa is worth a 2nd round pick or comparable prospect. But there are other aspects that complicate that value.

For one, Canuck fans slammed Bieksa as their playoffs fell apart and have stuck him in enough proposals this offseason that Bieksa+AHLberts+??? is nearing Ryder+Halak+2nd status for the 2010 offseason (Kaberle props the only ones more plentiful). We get that the fans in general won't be too sad to see him go should MG find a good trade.

Secondly, Bieksa's contract is high and short. Could be good and/or bad depending on who was acquiring him and what they were giving up. If the Canucks want to move him mainly to free up cap space it'll probably cost them a bit in the return. Its bad that he's perceived to be overpaid, its good that its only for another year, its bad to give up a well-touted prospect for a one-year rental of an overpaid somewhat average midpairing defenseman.

All that said, as a Lightning fan I wouldn't mind a deal for Bieksa, but, am not clamoring for it either. I tend to think the money we'd be absorbing in a Bieksa trade already went to the acquisition of Gagne. There's probably still enough cap space there to accomodate the trade and finish up signing all the other internal parts (i.e. Downie), but theres no need to break the bank and ride right up at the cap this year. As far as returns, Philly's 2nd or TBs 3rd seem ideal. Prospect-wise I'm pretty open to ideas, most names suggested so far are fair play. I wouldn't entertain moving Connoly, Ashton, or Tokarski in any Bieksa deal but most others would be open for discussion.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:14 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Somewhere around a 3rd round pick. Kevin Bieksa is not worth that 3.9M? That kills a lot of his value.
He makes 3.75 and I don't see how a 40pt defenseman at 3.75m kills his value in any possible way. The only thing that hurts his value is that he has UFA status after this year though I don't think he'd have any trouble signing an extension with a new team. A 2nd is more than fair value for Bieksa for whatever team gets him.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:03 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I dont think TB would be willing to give up a 2nd. I think for picks it would be a 3rd or higher. I have no problem shipping off Thompson and Mihalik though.
I'd be all for Wishart and Mihalik for Bieska straight up

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:20 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

or better yet, now that you've drafted Connolly what about
Bieska, Shirokov for Whishart, Ashton

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:25 AM