HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The coming to LA thread

Old
08-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I truly hate to admit this but holy beans am I truly truly sorry. I honestly read your name as being Irrelevant and not Irreverent. Absolutely sorry about that. I am reading what you have just posted thinking, how did I spell his name wrong? Classic but I can barely read my comp screen at this point so it figures.

Now back to the topic, the other references as to clubs came in my second post but the glory days of the L.A. music scene have to live on somewhere. Teasers, Starwood, Stardust Senior Frogs (still a resty but not a club) MW's, all the greats are no longer the best of what the music scene had for L.A.

Even the Whiskey is a shadow of what it used to be imo but the Key Club is a better uber venue type of place and a fun place to play at too.

You really want a trip down memory lane, go to the Peppermint. One heck of a club and the place where I think that Iggy, after getting thrown out for cutting his chest open while wearing a Nazi hat/pants started L.A.'s intro into real music.
I think we're like best friends now!

Don't sweat it man, everybody gets my name wrong.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Kings man 4 life

I seriously did not notice that either...

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:49 PM
TrevorK

Honeymoon in California - What to do? Where to avoid?

Since it's the offseason and the action on the free agent/trade front is pretty low, I thought I'd pick peoples brains on my upcoming honeymoon. In September we'll be heading on a roadtrip for our honeymoon through Washington/Oregon/California for 4 weeks, with a large majority of our time (2 weeks or more) being in California. Or at least, I think, as neither my fiance or I have visited these three states (the only time I left Canada was for Vegas).

What we are looking for are not only the usual things to see, but also the lesser known things to see/do/experience. Also, what I'm hoping to find is places to avoid - as I'm a little worried about ending up in the wrong neighbourhood. Perhaps I watch too much TV though, and this fear is overblown?

What are your thoughts? Popular places to see? Lesser known places to see? Anything I really must do?

TrevorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Rent a car and drive up the CA coast from LA to SF. It is one of the most beautiful and amazing drives you will ever make.

Big Sur is just incredible...the pictures do not do it justice.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Snyper8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Go to a Dodgers game.

Fans from elsewhere have told me that there is nothing like a Dodgers game
i like your style. that is what i always suggest to people visiting from out of town.

Snyper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:06 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Enjoy the trip, skip the marriage, keep your options open.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Oki Dog! No doubt! Not only tasty but can make great marital aids if things get dull on your honeymoon.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:12 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Go to Hawaii.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:15 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012 S.C. Champs

As mentioned above do the SF to LA drive on Hwy 1. The views are amazing. The coastal cities of southern orange county, (Dana Point, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach) are really nice to visit and safe as well.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:36 AM
onlyalad

Stay out of Oakland, South LA/Compton and Santee
Two weeks in California Driving along the coast, you should be able to see most of the highlights. I would suggest the coast way on the south so you can take the 5 north (quicker) or the coast again if you have time. If you make it far enough south for Mexico, only do TJ in the daytime.
Up north there are the redwoods, central has wines, and south is city with sand beaches.
Places that you might want to see Carmel, Santa Barbara, Laguna Beach, Ocean Beach

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Goallum

Agree on the recommendation to drive Hwy 1 from Monterrey to San Luis Obispo. If you do, make sure to go here:

http://robinsrestaurant.com/cm/menu.html

and have some of their Salmon Bisque. It's incredible.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Shellz

The Central Coast is where you need to be.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

You should go to Gilroy. It is the garlic capital of the world!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:04 AM
MxK1NGS

I think you should head into Downtown Glendale and eat at a pastry place called "Portos." Most of the time it is packed but the best time to go is before lunch break.(Even then it is still packed). I would suggest that you try the guava pastry, and the meat patties! YUM!

On the same street walk down to Thai in LA if you are interested in that type of food stop by. Delicious!
Man I miss LA, and I juts got back from there a week ago.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:51 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Depends on mood but Pinks is a hot dog stand and pretty much that alone. It makes an incredible hot dog (and will drag it through just about anything you can ever think of too) and celeb's go there (or used to back when I lived there, now they probably send an assistant) but then, an Oki Dog isn't really a hot dog so it's a difficult comparison.

If it was still possible, send them to the Cathay D' Grande or the Starwood, Stardust, Coconut Teasers, Madam Wongs, The Vet, The New Vets, The El Rey or even at times the Key Club and or the Palladium for the big shows and you couldn't go wrong.

I was lucky enough to be back in L.A. for one night and two days last week and saw two really good shows at the Universal and was surprised at how nice a place to see a band it was. Tired.
I can not and will not speak of activities, back in the day, at establishments of that like except to say that NOTHING these days compares. The Starwood became notorious for its decadent excess, but then again it was owned by a notorious drug dealing criminal.

(I know, pictures or it didnt happen, but had you taken your polaroid out at the time you would have been killed)

The music scene in LA is nothing like it was in the late seventies - early eighties. It was cutting edge, and there was something for everyone. Ska, punk, new wave, rock and the ancestors of todays more hardedged music too.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 08-03-2010 at 11:05 AM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
MegaShark 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixxsaw View Post
Hey guys,

me and a couple of friends are coming to L.A. the first week of August and have a few questions on where the best night clubs are at. We will be staying in west hollywood at the roosevelt. We were thinking about checking out my house and places similar to that! any ideas? thanks in advance
My House is kinda blah, its pretty over rated. If you must go though, reservations and bottle service is key. Cheapest way for you and your boys spend the night there and all get **** faced on the dime vs the dollar. Don't show up, smelling like weed, booze, dont look intoxicated by anymeans. Tip the bouncers and youll be straight.

If I were you just stay at your hotel, go to the Library and rage. Hot babes everywhere. Its pretty easy when you are already there and have a room to go. Alot of super sweet cocktails which aren't my thing but they are pretty good. Probably your best bet. Have Matt make your drinks, hes bad ass. Check out Teddy's too.

Go to the Woods. Place is legit. Happy hour goes all the way till 10pm and drinks are cheap. Dont let the strip mall look fool you. Real good vibes there except whatever dude works behind the bar, hit up the chick.

If I were you though, id just get lost in the city, get faded and take a cab back.

Hit me up if you have any questions, I used to bartend alot of these places.

Last edited by MegaShark 666: 08-03-2010 at 11:00 AM.
MegaShark 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

The drive up the coast from L.A. to SF is really nice and I would say stay in Half Moon Bay at the end of the first day and eat at "Hut". It's local beach food and its really good. The Half Moon Bay Ritz has it's own beach and is right out of a honeymoon postcard.

But, for my money I would start my coast drive in SF and work my way up to Eureka and then on through Arcada and stop in Crescent City. Giant Redwood's all the way down to the ocean and loads of amazingly beautiful things to see.

Lots of great places to stay as well but, if you make it to Crescent City stay at the Curly Redwood Lodge and make certain to go to the Jebediah Smith State Park. If you were going to camp I can only say that it is easily one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed.

In Ore I would visit Brookings/Gold Beach area's (the Banana Belt of the Ore coast) and then make my way up to Cannon Beach. Touristy but large and very pretty too. Lots of great places to eat and things to see and pretty affordable.

If you are staying on the coast proper through WA then stay in Westport. THe Olympic Natl Park is great but you won't find allot in the way of places to stay.

If you are heading towards Seattle then go through to Edmonds. It is allot like Laguna Beach without the pretentious over bearing expense. Then head off to see Deception Pass on Whidbey Island, great drive and a neat thing to see too.

Tons of great things to do and see in Portland Ore and Seattle WA but to me, you should just get in the car and drive around. Stop when you see something that interests you. Best way to see a city.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I can not and will not speak of activities, back in the day, at establishments of that like except to say that NOTHING these days compares. The Starwood became notorious for its decadent excess, but then again it was owned by a notorious drug dealing criminal.

(I know, pictures or it didnt happen, but had you taken your polaroid out at the time you would have been killed)

The music scene in LA is nothing like it was in the late seventies - early eighties. It was cutting edge, and there was something for everyone. Ska, punk, new wave, rock and the ancestors of todays more hardedged music too.
All too true.

THe Starwood was either a great place to be or the worst place on earth, likely both at the same time. The main stage area might have a bill of "The Plugz, Rick Springfield and The Dickies and then in the bar area there could be someone getting stabbed, all at the same time.

I was young enough to not really know what was happening but I watched a drug deal happen where a handfull sized roll of bills was exchanged for a bag of flour and remember thinking "whatever is in that flour bag must be worth allot". I was very innocent.

But that was when the Whiskey was still the Whiskey.

Remember when Cathay D' Grande was an Adult Bookstore? Creepy place to see a band with the 7' roof but even creepier when you consider what the place used to be. Still, allot of legendary bands played got there starts at that place.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:31 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Or the whole place around Hollywood blvd after just passing through once. Like those *******s who try to sell you some cheap tours around the city even when you have been around for years.
"I LIVE HERE!"

I don't know how many times I've yelled that at those people. It's enjoyable at first but after 20 or so times it gets old.

Of course, I'm sure their thought is "why the hell would you be down here if you live here?"... I don't even bother with the area anymore unless someone I'm with insists on seeing it.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Haik

http://www.undergroundfood.blogspot.com/

Enjoy your stay!

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

You will absolutely love driving down the coast! Great recommendations by all. There are an insane amount of wineries and restaurants along the way, try to do some research because these places will require reservations.

Yeah, and other than some parts of Oakland, Compton, & Skid row east of Downtown LA the only thing you need to fear are the high gas prices and retarded traffic. LA is the city of Hollywood celebrities, Beverly Hills and extravagant wealth all this gang violence crap is so overblown.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:01 PM
TrevorK

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Are the roads as crazy in Vegas? And is it difficult to find your way around? When I was down there recently it seemed like a completely different world. Up here in Edmonton everything is at such a relaxed pace with driving...

TrevorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Traffic is probably crazier than vegas. Granted the Strip in Vegas is a nightmare but there are plenty of roads and freeways that can just as bad. Try not be on the road in a metropolitan area like SF or LA during rush hour (7-9am and 3-7pm on weekdays) or at least trying to travel somewhere far. I mean if you are going 5 miles no big deal but don't try to go from Anaheim to LA at 5pm or it will take you 2 hours or longer to go 30 miles.

I don't think it is that hard to find your way around. Most streets run on a grid in the LA area but there are plenty of hilly places where that isn't possible. The most daunting thing will probably be navigating freeways in the SF Bay and LA areas since there are so many. My friends and family from MIchigan and Western New York find it amazing how many freeways we have.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:17 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Traffic is probably crazier than vegas. Granted the Strip in Vegas is a nightmare but there are plenty of roads and freeways that can just as bad. Try not be on the road in a metropolitan area like SF or LA during rush hour (7-9am and 3-7pm on weekdays) or at least trying to travel somewhere far. I mean if you are going 5 miles no big deal but don't try to go from Anaheim to LA at 5pm or it will take you 2 hours or longer to go 30 miles.

I don't think it is that hard to find your way around. Most streets run on a grid in the LA area but there are plenty of hilly places where that isn't possible. The most daunting thing will probably be navigating freeways in the SF Bay and LA areas since there are so many. My friends and family from MIchigan and Western New York find it amazing how many freeways we have.
Eh.. traffic is bad most of the day lately. There are no longer those 2-3 hour intervals.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote