HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville still needs... - What do you think the final piece to the roster is?

Old
08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Maybe? The Preds DID have Leighton before. And Philly has too many defenseman as is.

Let's say Philly offers Leighton and Matt Walker. Both are BIG TIME over paid.

Leighton 2 year contract at 1.55 M
Walker 3 year contract 1.7M

Nashville would counter with Boucher and O'Donnell

Boucher 1 year contract .925M
O'Donnell 1 year contract 1.3M

Nashville's idea would work because the one year contracts would come off the books just as Blum and one of the goal prospects would come into picture.

Do I think Nashville would do this? I wouldn't be surprise but I would not expect it. It makes too much sense. Biggest knock on O'Donnell is his age (38).

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
that's a brutal proposal. COR(D) is too good of a prospect to be included in a trade for a marginal backup, especially when there are guys that are just good available for free out there.
Maybe he's just gotten lost in the shuffle to me, but I've always thought he was fairly marginal. I feel like while Leighton has some serious doubt surrounding him, he has some serious upside too, and could be a very very good backup in this league if he continues to improve. My proposal was a spur of the moment thing, but I still think i would do that. I feel like Leighton has more value to this team than either COR. Plus, with Poile and our scouts drafting abilities, an extra 3rd is always good.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 07:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
What would the return be? one of our 1938493 forwards (Smithson, Ward, O'reilly to name a few) packaged with a D prospect (COR for instance).

Both CORs (O'reilly and Roussell)

FOR

Leighton/Boucher + late draft pick

Where do i sign on that one?
I would take the pen out of your hand and give you a crayon. No way we trade a prospect like Roussel for a backup goalie.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Imiss47

Think somebody's already said this but I really think that Horny and Franson are the last two missing pieces to this year's team. With all the options at forward and defense for Trotzy to play around with -which whether you like it or not...he will- I find it hard to believe that he won't be able to find some sort of combination that works and plays a good strong defensive style game that will squeak us into the playoffs once again while giving us a chance to compete for the cup and qualify for revenue sharing like not many other teams can do.

I am starting to worry about how long it's taking to get these two under contract... Anybody know when the deadline is to have your RFA's signed???

Imiss47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imiss47 View Post
I am starting to worry about how long it's taking to get these two under contract... Anybody know when the deadline is to have your RFA's signed???
December 1st. If an RFA has not signed by December 1st, they are ineligible to play in the NHL for the remainder of that season.

I'm not really concerned yet...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

It's Aug 3 .... the players don't report for weeks. No need to worry since we own their rights.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Imiss47

Knew I could count on you Slake. Already feelin' better... I do find it curious that the NHL would let their RFA's potentially play 23 games without any type of contract. Eh...

Old
08-03-2010, 10:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imiss47 View Post
Knew I could count on you Slake. Already feelin' better... I do find it curious that the NHL would let their RFA's potentially play 23 games without any type of contract. Eh...
Erm...no

If a player doesn't have a contract, they cannot play. They would be in a holdout situation. The closest we've come is Hamhuis before his last contract(missed the start of training camp, and in my opinion, it might be coincidence, but that was the start of his steady decline) and before that, Legwand. We've had numerous RFA's go all the way into September though. Nothing really to worry about...there's several high profile guys in the same boat around the league. There's essentially a month and a half until training camp, and two months until the season starts. They'll get done.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Imiss47

I see i see...

Old
08-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Erm...no

If a player doesn't have a contract, they cannot play. They would be in a holdout situation. The closest we've come is Hamhuis before his last contract(missed the start of training camp, and in my opinion, it might be coincidence, but that was the start of his steady decline) and before that, Legwand. We've had numerous RFA's go all the way into September though. Nothing really to worry about...there's several high profile guys in the same boat around the league. There's essentially a month and a half until training camp, and two months until the season starts. They'll get done.
Exactly. If a player is unsigned, they cannot play. The December 1st deadline is actually to prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap by not allowing teams to delay signing their RFA's till enough time has passed that they can fit them underneath the salary cap. Same reason players playing in Europe at any point in the season must clear waivers before joining NHL roster...

Old
08-04-2010, 09:05 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
What would the return be? one of our 1938493 forwards (Smithson, Ward, O'reilly to name a few) packaged with a D prospect (COR for instance).

Both CORs (O'reilly and Roussell)

FOR

Leighton/Boucher + late draft pick

Where do i sign on that one?
i know other people have nixed this deal because we give up too much and I agree with that because philly would be desperate and couldnt demand much value.... but let me add two things... first, leightons deal is for too much money and for two years and we only need a vet for next year. When pekkas salary jumps to 4 mil in 11-12 we will have to back him up with one of our prospects, plus we will need to groom his successor in case he plays his way out of our price range.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
swissexpert

If you need a PP Quarterback, Roman Josi is the perfect fit.
I know he probably won't play in NSH next season, but just to say, his blueline shot is a weapon!

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:04 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
If you need a PP Quarterback, Roman Josi is the perfect fit.
I know he probably won't play in NSH next season, but just to say, his blueline shot is a weapon!
If he does well in Milwaukee he could see time in Nashville this season.

having Weber on one PP unit and Josi on the other would be formidable if he pans out as advertised...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If he does well in Milwaukee he could see time in Nashville this season.

having Weber on one PP unit and Josi on the other would be formidable if he pans out as advertised...
Not to mention Blum, who also could fit that role. Our future for defensemen truly looks bright.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Imiss47

And let's not forget about Franson either who will definitely hold down the 2nd PP unit from the point with his quick shot, vision, and passing skills once we get him under contract. I'm expecting big things from him this year. ( pun intended ) Man I hope our powerplay is better this year...Simply put we were awful with the man advantage last year. Have to be better this year. We'll see if Trotzy calling the shots can make a difference. Kinda worries me a little bit I will say. Only one way to find out tho so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Old
08-07-2010, 02:12 PM
markie8002000

Eklund is saying O'Sullivan to Preds E4 so there might be something to this but I just don't see why we would sign him though if it happens....

markie8002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:14 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
Eklund is saying O'Sullivan to Preds E4 so there might be something to this but I just don't see why we would sign him though if it happens....
No, no it doesn't friend.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

An Eklund E4 is basically the same as a terror advisory level of orange. It's just a bunch of smoke up the part of your body that stuff typically only comes out of.

edit: I've actually read on these boards that he's been more accurate lately. I haven't been to hockeybuzz in a long time, so I don't have any idea.

Last edited by TMI: 08-07-2010 at 03:00 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
Although my name and Twitter account did appear on HockeyBuzz today in Felder's column. Even Felder when asked about O'Sullivan to Nashville asked where that rumor was coming from because it made no sense...

I visited the site for the first time in eons today after getting a text about Felder's column from a friend, but you have to seriously question the validity of anything coming from that site when the "team writer" is completely dismissing something the "rumor monger" is saying is close to happening.

To put this to rest for this weekend at least...no one will be signed by the Predators until Hornqvist and Franson are signed and Poile knows how much wiggle room he has left in his budget.

Anything else is just speculation and can't be close to happening until those two are signed first...Dekanich re-signing will be announced likely Monday or Tuesday, but outside of that...it should be quiet from 501 Broadway for the next little while...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 08-07-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Was posting on phone...spelling errors...
Old
08-07-2010, 05:42 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Eks also mention us going after Kennedy. But who the hell knows.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Eks also mention us going after Kennedy. But who the hell knows.
Again, where does he fit? We've made a concerted effort to get bigger, stronger, and faster last several years. Why bring in an undersized winger to compete with our current lineup or the prospects we have on the cusp of cracking the roster full-time?

Old
08-08-2010, 03:51 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

wayne gretzky

HF007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Imiss47

Nah...way too old...

Old
08-08-2010, 01:02 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Not to mention Blum, who also could fit that role. Our future for defensemen truly looks bright.
Blum needs another 1/2 to full season in the AHL before he is NHL ready.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

O'Sullivan would be a third line player here, and that's if he came in and skated circles around everyone at camp.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote