HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Zherdev (one-year deal reported at $2 million)

Old
07-23-2010, 07:36 AM
PhillyCurt12

vCash: 500
Quote:
What would you take with you to space or a desert island?
"A woman"
not necessarily his wife? lol

Quote:
Drink?
"Green tea and Czech beer"
yeah, he'll get along w/ richards and carter just fine.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:42 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I thought his answers were incredibly short....then I realized his answer for languages included "a little English." So that explains it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
It'd be tight. I posted this in another thread, but I think we'd have 11 million (plus limited cap space) to resign Carter, Giroux, Zherdev, Leino, Carcillo, and O'Donnell. That's not a whole lot of money. I mean, Giroux + Carter could potentially > $10 million. This is, of course, assuming that everything stays the same right now, but regardless, we're still gonna be up close against the cap.
According to capgeek, if the cap ceiling stays the same next year well have $13,436,904 in cap space.

So basically after we sign a backup goalie (assume less then 1M), we'll have about 13M + whatever the cap goes up to sign Carter, Giroux, Leino, Zherdev and will need to sign another 2 forwards.

Really, Holmgren is gonna have to be creative. The way it stands now, 1 of Carter, Giroux, Leino or Zherdev will be gone. We can probably sign 3 of the 4 if the cap goes up by 2M.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Lololol at Pamela Anderson, and whatever the **** a balalalalalalalaika is. But the governators his favorite actor so he gets a pass from me for all things going into the future.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:44 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
According to capgeek, if the cap ceiling stays the same next year well have $13,436,904 in cap space.

So basically after we sign a backup goalie (assume less then 1M), we'll have about 13M + whatever the cap goes up to sign Carter, Giroux, Leino, Zherdev and will need to sign another 2 forwards.

Really, Holmgren is gonna have to be creative. The way it stands now, 1 of Carter, Giroux, Leino or Zherdev will be gone. We can probably sign 3 of the 4 if the cap goes up by 2M.
Yea, creativity's a good word for it. I figure Zherdev's gonna be gone anyway, so I think it wouldn't be that unreasonable to think that they could get the others. It's going to be very, very tight though. Cap flexibility is a concept that seems completely foreign to Holmgren.

I'd also be surprised if we roll into camp with the current lineup. I don't think he's done yet, so that will obviously influence next summer's deals.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea, creativity's a good word for it. I figure Zherdev's gonna be gone anyway, so I think it wouldn't be that unreasonable to think that they could get the others. It's going to be very, very tight though. Cap flexibility is a concept that seems completely foreign to Holmgren.

I'd also be surprised if we roll into camp with the current lineup. I don't think he's done yet, so that will obviously influence next summer's deals.
Another thing to factor in is that people are using worst case scenario numbers. Leino had a nice playoff run, but he could just as easily flame out during the regular season, and then maybe the Flyers don't want to bring him back. Maybe Zherdev, disappoints. It's a long season and we're basing the costs on best case projections. Things have a funny way of sorting themselves out.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:08 AM
tlkamps

Quote:
Another thing to factor in is that people are using worst case scenario numbers. Leino had a nice playoff run, but he could just as easily flame out during the regular season, and then maybe the Flyers don't want to bring him back. Maybe Zherdev, disappoints. It's a long season and we're basing the costs on best case projections. Things have a funny way of sorting themselves out.
I could definitely see this happening. Leino has a disappointing season, so we bring back Zherdev at 3m, Giroux at 3.5m and Carter at 7 for 13.5 total. Which is that amount we plan on having next year anyway. Hopefully accounting for a +2m cap raise and we should be in good shape for maybe 1 bottom 6 player and an AHL call up.

tlkamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Kaktus*

If Zherdev walks and I think he probably will walk Flyers will sign Radulov. We must have at least one player from KHL every year. Unwritten rule.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Zherdev's wearing #9 if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Yeah, Leino hasn't proven that he can be a regular season main-stay in his career. He had a great post-season with Detroit too, but then they ended up trading his ass because he couldn't perform for them in the regular season.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Zherdev's wearing #9 if that hasn't been mentioned yet.
Really? wow, that's a good number, maybe I'll like him.
Ever since I got an autographed photo of Gordie Howe like 20 years ago, 9 has been my fave number.

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, Leino hasn't proven that he can be a regular season main-stay in his career. He had a great post-season with Detroit too, but then they ended up trading his ass because he couldn't perform for them in the regular season.
They also wanted him to do things, that he may not be suited to do, but moreover didn't want to. European players are finicky like that

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Jester

Quote:

You're assuming the potential disaster that a season of Leighton/Boucher might be won't have an impact on our salary cap situation.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They also wanted him to do things, that he may not be suited to do, but moreover didn't want to. European players are finicky like that
I know. I'm just saying that we shouldn't get our hopes up with Leino.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
hockeyfreak7

Let's also not forget that the team we start the season with wont even be the team we go into the playoffs with.

Carle/Coburn will be most susceptible to a trade at the trade deadline. A trade for a non-playoff team's goalie is more than possible (although wishful thinking at this point), and that changes our salary structure for next year as well.

A lot of things are uncertain. Next off season is a very, very long time away. I am certain a lot of things will change from now til then.

It's possible that we retain Carter, Giroux, Zherdev and Leino.

It's also possible we only retaing Carter and Giroux.

It's even possible that someone doesnt even make it to the end of the season with us...

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Lololol at Pamela Anderson, and whatever the **** a balalalalalalalaika is. But the governators his favorite actor so he gets a pass from me for all things going into the future.
I was like:

The real reason for his return...
someone get that ***** a restraining order!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:44 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They also wanted him to do things, that he may not be suited to do, but moreover didn't want to.
WOW! Sorry GKJ, but reading that just makes the Red Wings sound really freaking creepy. And that's not even taking into account the off color connotations that come with the name.

Kudos.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:23 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
WOW! Sorry GKJ, but reading that just makes the Red Wings sound really freaking creepy. And that's not even taking into account the off color connotations that come with the name.

Kudos.
yea i read that too and was like....suprize buttseks??!!

lol

despite this though, i think ville works well with briere. Kind of like, one lazy talented player makes a move, which causes another lazy talented player to have to one up him in order to show how awesomely talented/lazy he is. Hence:
"a great move by leino, who passes to briere, who makes an awesome deke, back to ville, who saucerpasses it back for...danny briere shoots HE SCORES! what a great wrap around by danny briere!"

lol add Zherdev to this line

also, ville is definitely a passer.

Ps: i feel like briere would be an A-hole in NHL 10, sitting behind the net doing wraparounds ALL day lol

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're assuming the potential disaster that a season of Leighton/Boucher might be won't have an impact on our salary cap situation.
Also assuming that Zherdev and Leino perform, Giroux takes the next step, and Carter develops some more game and becomes a more consistent player.

A lot of what-ifs.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Also assuming that Zherdev and Leino perform, Giroux takes the next step, and Carter develops some more game and becomes a more consistent player.

A lot of what-ifs.
Carter isn't a real problem... as worst case scenario he goes to arbitration. Giroux will be getting a raise no matter what. How much, will be determined by his play this year.

What has happened, though, is that we, once again, have not invested anything in the goalie position and there's a good chance we will add salary there at some point. It's simply idiotic to be wasting years of our older players with ? goaltending backing them up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Giroux is money in the bank. A 4-4.5 per at 5-8 mid season would be awesome. Call me a hater but if carter gets 7 for what he provides i'd say trade his ass for whatever the best package may be.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
Giroux is money in the bank. A 4-4.5 per at 5-8 mid season would be awesome. Call me a hater but if carter gets 7 for what he provides i'd say trade his ass for whatever the best package may be.
Roo will likely prefer an Erik Johnson like contract at 2-3 years/2-2.5M so that he can cash in on his first year or two of UFA after his big point seasons.

Carter will probably laugh at 7 at a reasonable term, he sees what other people are getting. If it is a deal less than 5 years he is going to be asking for 8M. He isn't worth more than Richie (or Briere for that matter, to all the haters), why pay him more? Take the high draft picks and cap space and run.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Roo will likely prefer an Erik Johnson like contract at 2-3 years/2-2.5M so that he can cash in on his first year or two of UFA after his big point seasons.

Carter will probably laugh at 7 at a reasonable term, he sees what other people are getting. If it is a deal less than 5 years he is going to be asking for 8M. He isn't worth more than Richie (or Briere for that matter, to all the haters), why pay him more? Take the high draft picks and cap space and run.
I'm probably gonna cry when Homer gives him that deal.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

better minus 1.25-1.5 million on the Boucher contract extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What has happened, though, is that we, once again, have not invested anything in the goalie position and there's a good chance we will add salary there at some point. It's simply idiotic to be wasting years of our older players with ? goaltending backing them up.
Who do we trade for tho? I feel no matter who we trade for, that Holmgren will overpay. Say a 1st. Can you see Yzerman bending us over for the 3rd time. Say a 2011 1st for Dan Ellis?. I wouldnt laugh at that thought. We currently have no backup plan as it appears Backlund could be damaged goods. I dont want Bobo this season. he needs a year in the AHL.
or a worse thought could be signing Theodore.
This is going to be a potentially long season with the goalies. again.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 08-05-2010 at 11:21 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
I'm probably gonna cry when Homer gives him that deal.
Homer gives him that and a NMC and I will personally drive to Homer office and give him a little piece of reality.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote