HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Acquire Todd White From Atlanta for Brashear + Rissmiller

Old
08-04-2010, 08:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
my bet is MZA will start in hartford and get called up when someone gets hurt. MZA hasnt played in the NHL or AHL and everyone has him on the 2ed line
Nope, he'll be on the Rangers from the get go:

Quote:
By the end of March the news had leaked. It was made official after the IIHF World Championships. The New York Rangers had won this year’s “Fabian Brunnstrom” as some people call it, signing him to a two-way ELC for 2 years at $900,000 a year plus bonuses (mandatory two-way contract). So what can we as Rangers’ fans expect from Aasen? Anders Hedberg, who is the Rangers’ head professional European scout, has some pretty high expectations for Aasen saying, “We did not recruit him because he will play on our fourth line or on our farm team, but we expect him to fit in in one of our top five.”
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

He was signed for immediate scoring depth on the Rangers.. Not organizational depth and grooming at the Hartford level...

Petr Prucha scored 30 goals and 47 points in 68 games his rookie season without any prior NA hockey experience... I think people are exaggerating this whole "adjustment to NA hockey" concept a bit much....

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=63016

Last edited by wolfgaze: 08-04-2010 at 09:24 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:07 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
my bet is MZA will start in hartford and get called up when someone gets hurt. MZA hasnt played in the NHL or AHL and everyone has him on the 2ed line
Yes, he was the best player in arguably the 3rd best professional league in the world, but that doesn't really mean much.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Why would the Rangers waste $2.6 mil of cap space on a 4th line center who isn't going to see more than 6-8 minutes of ice time on any given night? That's a big waste of cap space especially when you could get similar production from a player with a lot less of a cap hit...

Brooks understands the CBA, the league, and the politics of the game very well... And his point about the Rangers not looking to incur a $2.6 mil cap hit for a bottom 6 player is a valid one.... Chances of a 35 year old player coming off shoulder surgery and knee dislocations outplaying Christensen and or any other player currently slotted for the top 2 lines is slim to none in my books.... Factor in the fact that his age means he has no future with this team, it's even a greater likelihood that he doesn't suit up for the Rangers...
We can't have a 2.6 million hit for a 4th liner but a 7 million dollar hit for our 3rd line center, who played on the 4th line at times last season or pay 6.5 million for a 3rd pair defenseman? The money doesn't matter, if he plays well in camp and earns a spot he will be here, if not he won't. Torts said you got to earn a job, lets see if he means it.

I agree White was acquired to rid us of Brash's over 35 hit, but White could serve a purpose here, he is only one season removed from a 70 point season and to me there is no reason he can't beat Boyle out for that last center spot. I doubt he will beat EC, but there could be room for him if we demote Redden and Boyle or make a trade if white looks good in camp.

Currently with MZA and McD our cap is at 62.373
if you add Staal at 4.5 thats 66.873
subtract Redden's 6.5 puts us at 60.373
subtract Boyles hit puts us at 59.848
Then there is Gilroy who could start in Hartford or could be traded
It is very possible is all I'm saying

It doesn't matter to me if white ever plays a game for us or not, but I'm not Sather or Torts so who knows what their plan for white is?

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
We can't have a 2.6 million hit for a 4th liner but a 7 million dollar hit for our 3rd line center, who played on the 4th line at times last season or pay 6.5 million for a 3rd pair defenseman? The money doesn't matter, if he plays well in camp and earns a spot he will be here, if not he won't. Torts said you got to earn a job, lets see if he means it.
Drury has a No Movement Clause... That means he can't be waived and sent to Hartford, we are stuck with him and his cap hit no matter what... He has to suit up or be a healthy scratch... Bringing up his salary does not apply to this discussion nor justify using $2.6 mil in cap space for a 35 year old 4th line center who would see minimal minutes each night when the option to remove the cap hit and send him down is available...... The cap space absolutely DOES matter... Unless White comes into camp, turns heads, and decisively beats out Christensen or any other player (Prospal) the Rangers would consider centering the top line, he's on his way to Hartford.... We don't owe the guy anything, he was the byproduct of a salary/cap-hit dump and at 35, we're not exactly ruining his career by sending him down as he's just about at the end of it anyway. This is not a trade where the Rangers contact a team and say "We want this player" with the primary intention of utilizing that player for a purpose that benefits the team.... It's a trade where they contact other teams and say, "This (Brashear) is who we want to move, what do you want to send our way?"....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 08-04-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old
08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Yes, he was the best player in arguably the 3rd best professional league in the world, but that doesn't really mean much.
no it really doesnt until that player plays in the NHL.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Drury has a No Movement Clause... That means he can't be waived and sent to Hartford... He has to suit up or be a healthy scratch... Bringing up his salary does not justify using $2.6 mil in cap space for a 35 year old 4th line center who would see minimal minutes each night.... The cap space absolutely DOES matter... Unless White comes into camp and decisively beats out Christensen or any other player (Prospal) the Rangers would consider centering the top line, he's on his way to Hartford....
Yo I know how the salary cap works dude... I also know Drury has a NMC and how it works so no need for the lesson. Maybe you don't quite understand, Redden and Drury 2 of our teams highest paid players, played in quite lesser roles this past season. One was on the 3rd and 4th lines at times and the other as our bottom pair d-man. So you are going to tell me we can't have a cap hit of 2.6 million for 4th line center but last year we had redden at 6.5 as our bottom pair d-man? That makes absolutely no sense. If the cap space matters so much why wasn't Redden waived last year? Cause this is Sather and just because what people believe should be done is not always what he does and we know that.

Redden will be waived that much is clear. If white kills it in camp you don't think Boyle and Gilroy could start in hartford or a trade could be made to make room for a very good 2 way player who is possible of moving up a line or two if and when an injury happens?

You are giving Sather way too much credit, he has killed this team with cap woes for the last few years, now you think he has it all figured out? White will get his chance, whether or not he wins a spot remains to be seen, I read Larry Brooks too, but he is not always right.

Old
08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Yo I know how the salary cap works dude... I also know Drury has a NMC and how it works so no need for the lesson. Maybe you don't quite understand, Redden and Drury 2 of our teams highest paid players, played in quite lesser roles this past season. One was on the 3rd and 4th lines at times and the other as our bottom pair d-man. So you are going to tell me we can't have a cap hit of 2.6 million in cap space for 4th line center but last year we had redden at 6.5 as our bottom pair d-man? That makes absolutely no sense. If the cap space matters so much why wasn't Redden waived last year? Cause this is Sather and just because what people believe should be done is not always what he does and we know that.
Again you bring up Drury and I don't understand why....

Why wasn't Redden waived last year? Perhaps because it was only the 2nd season of his 6 year deal and he's earning $6.5 mil per season and we had 2 rookies on our blueline and no veteran defenseman available to replace Redden with????? There's not going to waive him 1 and 1/2 seasons into his 6 year deal, effectively banishing him to the minors for good without giving him every benefit of the doubt and time to recover... They had to give him every opportunity to prove he belongs in the NHL and on this roster for the salary we're paying him and after the conclusion of his 2nd season it's more obvious that waiving him is an attractive option and he was given 2 full seasons to regain his form, and he's proven he can't....

Everyone was clamoring about White's 72 point season while playing on the top line with Kovalchuk.... Well if he doesn't blow everybody out of the water in training camp, we're not allocating 2.6 mil cap space for a guy who's going to notch 15 points playing 4th line minutes with Boogaard and Prust or Avery.... Total waste... You can utilize Boyle or Avery (at Center) in that role and not spend an extra $2.6 mil in cap space and get similar results....

The guy is 35, coming off shoulder surgery and two knee dislocations and a DOWN year... If you think he's going to come into training camp and endure Tortorella's brutal skating drills while beating out every other option for 1st line Center on this team and earn a spot on the roster, that's fine... I don't....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 08-04-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old
08-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Again you bring up Drury and I don't understand why....

Why wasn't Redden waived last year? Perhaps because it was only the 2nd season of his 6 year deal and he's earning $6.5 mil per season and we had 2 rookies on our blueline and no veteran defenseman available to replace Redden with????? There's not going to waive him 1 and 1/2 seasons into his 6 year deal, effectively banishing him to the minors... They had to give him every opportunity to prove he belongs in teh NHL and on this roster and after the conclusion of his 2nd season it's more obvious that waiving him is an attractive option and he was given 2 full seasons to regain his form, and he's proven he can't....

Everyone was clamoring about White's 72 point season while playing on the top line with Kovalchuk.... Well if he doesn't blow everybody out of the water in training camp, we're not spending $2.6 mil for a guy who's going to notch 15 points playing 4th line minutes with Boogaard and Prust or Avery.... Total waste... You can utilize Boyle or Avery (at Center) in that role and not spend an extra $2.6 mil in cap space.....

The guy is 35, coming off shoulder surgery and two knee dislocations and a DOWN year... If you think he's going to come into training camp and endure Tortorella's brutal skating drills while beating out every other option for 1st line Center on this team and earn a spot on the roster, that's fine... I don't....
Im starting to wonder if you even read my posts or just see what you want? I clearly said I DON'T believe he will beat our EC for the first line spot. I said he should be able to beat out Boyle for the 4th line spot is all. I don't expect 72 points from him, heck if we got 35 that would be pretty amazing, all I am saying is he will get a chance in camp. There is no way he beats EC, Artie, and I doubt he beats out Drury. But if he makes the team some combination or Redden, Gilroy, and Boyle start in Hartford or maybe a trade is made to open things up.

I bring up Drury again, try to read and grasp this, to show he played on the 3rd line and filled a role. If White plays well in camp and fills a role, he will make the team, if he doesn't than its off to Hartford. If Drury was so terrible the rangers would have stripped him of the C and scratched him every night till he demanded to be traded or retired. That didn't happen because Drury filled the role of penalty killer, 3rd line center and got some PP time. White can kill penalties, is good in both ends and can play on the powerplay or move up if there is an injury.

I am not lobbying for white to get a spot, I don't really even care, but to write him off because Brooks said so and because of the cap is just a pile. He will play in camp and if Torts is serious about players earning spots then lets see what happens if White outplays Boyle.

Old
08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Im starting to wonder if you even read my posts or just see what you want? I clearly said I DON'T believe he will beat our EC for the first line spot. I said he should be able to beat out Boyle for the 4th line spot is all. I don't expect 72 points from him, heck if we got 35 that would be pretty amazing, all I am saying is he will get a chance in camp. There is no way he beats EC, Artie, and I doubt he beats out Drury. But if he makes the team some combination or Redden, Gilroy, and Boyle start in Hartford or maybe a trade is made to open things up.

I bring up Drury again, try to read and grasp this, to show he played on the 3rd line and filled a role. If White plays well in camp and fills a role, he will make the team, if he doesn't than its off to Hartford. If Drury was so terrible the rangers would have stripped him of the C and scratched him every night till he demanded to be traded or retired. That didn't happen because Drury filled the role of penalty killer, 3rd line center and got some PP time. White can kill penalties, is good in both ends and can play on the powerplay or move up if there is an injury.

I am not lobbying for white to get a spot, I don't really even care, but to write him off because Brooks said so and because of the cap is just a pile. He will play in camp and if Torts is serious about players earning spots then lets see what happens if White outplays Boyle.
No, I read your posts... You're trying to justify overpaying for a 4th line center because Drury and Redden are overpaid on our team, somehow implying that Sather intentionally overpaid them to play these lesser roles on this team with no regard for what was expected of them when they were originally signed..... We've already discussed that we can't do anything with Drury, and that Redden was being given time to prove himself and regain his form.... So because these 2 guys are on the books we can justify overpaying other players to play outside their normal roles????

I wrote White off the roster the second I heard of the trade, I'm using Brooks article to affirm the notion that it's a very likely possibility.... If you concede that he's not beating out the mentioned players of their expected positions, how can you suggest White could contribute 35 points playing on our 4th line with Brandon Prust/Sean Avery & Boogaard????

I hate to break it to you but Redden is not getting waived unless it's absolutely mandatory, and that means we can't stay under the salary cap with him on the team.... Without White's $2.6 mil cap hit I believe other posters on this board have already demonstrated that we can stay under the cap with him in the line-up... The longer this Staal contract situation plays out the more probably it is that he signs a shorter term, shorter value contract... This isn't going to get resolved by Staal getting a 6 or 7 year deal at $5 mil.... If anything the prospect of holding out and not being at training camp will force their hand to sign for less and shorter term, similar to what happened with Dubinsky.... The prospect for Redden to be on the team on opening night is pretty good at this point...

Old
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
No, I read your posts... You're trying to justify overpaying for a 4th line center because Drury and Redden are overpaid on our team, somehow implying that Sather intentionally overpaid them to play these lesser roles on this team with no regard for what was expected of them when they were originally signed..... We've already discussed that we can't do anything with Drury, and that Redden was being given time to prove himself and regain his form.... So because these 2 guys are on the books we can justify overpaying other players to play outside their normal roles????

I wrote White off the roster the second I heard of the trade, I'm using Brooks article to affirm the notion that it's a very likely possibility.... If you concede that he's not beating out the mentioned players of their expected positions, how can you suggest White could contribute 35 points playing on our 4th line with Brandon Prust/Sean Avery & Boogaard????

I hate to break it to you but Redden is not getting waived unless it's absolutely mandatory, and that means we can't stay under the salary cap with him on the team.... Without White's $2.6 mil cap hit I believe other posters on this board have already demonstrated that we can stay under the cap with him in the line-up... The longer this Staal contract situation plays out the more probably it is that he signs a shorter term, shorter value contract... This isn't going to get resolved by Staal getting a 6 or 7 year deal at $5 mil.... If anything the prospect of holding out and not being at training camp will force their hand to sign for less and shorter term, similar to what happened with Dubinsky.... The prospect for Redden to be on the team on opening night is pretty good at this point...
First off how is Redden on the opening night roster? Where is the post that shows Redden will be on the roster since we got White? I just looked in the Speculation: Redden to be waived thread and have not seen a post that shows how we have Redden here since the White trade.

Without Staal signed we currently have a cap of 61.073
NO way staal will settle for a contract that doesn't pay him more than Girardi, Won't happen, so say he takes a deal for 4 million a year for 2 years
that puts us at 65.073
Even if you take off white's 2.375 hit we are still over the cap at 62.698, so how is Redden here?
So unless Rozy is traded Redden will be waived.

I said if white could contribute 35 points that would be AMAZING, i don't expect anything from him... he will be a 4th line player getting little time, PK time, and maybe some occasional PP time, but if healthy he can certainly contribute more than boyle's 6 points this past season.

I am not justifying overpaying for 4th liners, Sather already did that with Boogard. If someone fills a role they will fit them in the cap. That is my point. Drury fit a role, and you cannot seem to grasp that point. This team was starving for goals last season, If white looks great in camp, and I AGREE with you that is a big if, but if he looks great and they feel a 4th line of Prust-White-Weise (Boogard for more physical games) can create energy and put some points on the board they will find a way for him to make the team.

I have nothing further to say on this matter.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
First off how is Redden on the opening night roster? Where is the post that shows Redden will be on the roster since we got White? I just looked in the Speculation: Redden to be waived thread and have not seen a post that shows how we have Redden here since the White trade.

Without Staal signed we currently have a cap of 61.073
NO way staal will settle for a contract that doesn't pay him more than Girardi, Won't happen, so say he takes a deal for 4 million a year for 2 years
that puts us at 65.073
Even if you take off white's 2.375 hit we are still over the cap at 62.698, so how is Redden here?
So unless Rozy is traded Redden will be waived.

I said if white could contribute 35 points that would be AMAZING, i don't expect anything from him... he will be a 4th line player getting little time, PK time, and maybe some occasional PP time, but if healthy he can certainly contribute more than boyle's 6 points this past season.

I am not justifying overpaying for 4th liners, Sather already did that with Boogard. If someone fills a role they will fit them in the cap. That is my point. Drury fit a role, and you cannot seem to grasp that point. This team was starving for goals last season, If white looks great in camp, and I AGREE with you that is a big if, but if he looks great and they feel a 4th line of Prust-White-Weise (Boogard for more physical games) can create energy and put some points on the board they will find a way for him to make the team.

I have nothing further to say on this matter.
I respect your opinion I just disagree... Agree to disagree....

I'm too inebriated at the moment to spend time crunching the numbers but I've seen plenty of posts on two different forums suggesting Redden can fit WITHOUT White's cap hit.... I did not do the math myself but I haven't seen anyone point out that it was incorrect....

Regarding Staal... I would not be surprised if he was forced to settle for a lower cap hit then you expect, on a short term deal.... Remember Sather has leverage and has shown he will use it in negotiations.... Did anyone think Dubinsky was getting signed for a $1.85 mil cap hit after we heard him and his agent were asking for $4 mil per???

Also, you mentioned Weise above.... Even before acquiring White, one of Prust/Avery/Boogard/Boyle was going to have to be a scratch on any given night.... How do you figure Weise into the mix? I'm saying this will complete confidence that MZA is on our opening night roster, without a doubt...

Old
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Nope, he'll be on the Rangers from the get go:
All that means is that they didn't sign him as Hartford depth. However, he signed a 2-way contract. That means, to me, that his roster spot is in NO WAY guaranteed.

I hope he makes the team and adds some scoring depth to the team's lineup. I just won't be shocked if they give him some time in the AHL.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
All that means is that they didn't sign him as Hartford depth. However, he signed a 2-way contract. That means, to me, that his roster spot is in NO WAY guaranteed.

I hope he makes the team and adds some scoring depth to the team's lineup. I just won't be shocked if they give him some time in the AHL.
I understand that, but wasn't it a given for a 22 year old first-year player to get a 2-way contract???... Pointing out the terms of his contract does not take any consideration into the skill level/ability of the player that was signed or speak to the likelihood of him starting the season in the NHL or not... If our scouts and Management can't evaluate a player and get a good feel for where he will fit into our line-up, sound the alarms because we have a big problem....

Do you think they're going to promise him top-line minutes (per Detroit scout quote) and that our head European scout is going to go on the record and say that they didn't sign him to play the 4th line minutes or for Hartford, if they weren't pretty damn sure he was going to be an immediate contributor/asset on our roster? Look at all the players that were kept up after training camp and started their seasons on the Rangers after not overly impressive camps: Prucha, Dawes, Korpikoski, Dubinsky, Callahan.... None of these guys were ever spectacular in the pre-season and they all got NHL duty on our top 3 lines... I don't know why MZA gets held to this extremely high standard looking at how the last several pre-seasons have played out....

Old
08-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I understand that, but wasn't it a given for a 22 year old first-year player to get a 2-way contract???... Pointing out the terms of his contract does not take any consideration into the skill level/ability of the player that was signed... If our scouts and Management can't evaluate a player and get a good feel for where he will fit into our line-up, sound the alarms because we have a big problem.... Do you think they're going to promise him top-line minutes (per Detroit scout quote) and that our head European scout is going to go on the record and say that they didn't sign him to play the 4th line minutes or for Hartfard, if they weren't pretty damn sure he was going to be an immediate contributor/asset on our roster?
It was not "a given" that a signing like this would be a 2-way deal. Matt Gilroy has a 1-way contract. What the two-way contract means is that the general consensus is that this guy could be a contributor to the team, but there are doubts about the way his game can translate... and this from more than one team. Gilroy either garnered offers of 1-way deals from other teams or more lucrative 2-way deals, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten a one-way from us. This is the way a market works.

So maybe MZA got one-way offers for less money than he's getting from the Rangers and signed here anyway. But the existence of a two-way deal means that there is some small doubt in there somewhere. What would be the point in a two-way deal if there wasn't any doubt at all?

And yes, I expect the Rangers scouts to say that about MZA no matter what. After all, they are still part of the Rangers organization and therefore the Rangers PR team. Plus, nothing in that quote assures him a roster spot. All that quote does is say that this is what they expect from him, without a timetable. Hedberg could just as easily be talking about 4 months into the season as he could be talking about opening night. If he doesn't meet expectations right away, he's not getting a roster spot.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
It was not "a given" that a signing like this would be a 2-way deal. Matt Gilroy has a 1-way contract. What the two-way contract means is that the general consensus is that this guy could be a contributor to the team, but there are doubts about the way his game can translate... and this from more than one team. Gilroy either garnered offers of 1-way deals from other teams or more lucrative 2-way deals, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten a one-way from us. This is the way a market works.
1 and 2-way contracts only have to do with money being paid, not where the player has to play... How does this factor into the likelihood that he makes the team from the get go?

Quote:
So maybe MZA got one-way offers for less money than he's getting from the Rangers and signed here anyway. But the existence of a two-way deal means that there is some small doubt in there somewhere. What would be the point in a two-way deal if there wasn't any doubt at all?
Look at his age... The CBA restricts how much money he can get because of his age... He had to sign an entry level contract... His cap hit is $900K per season + bonuses... There was no bidding match for him.... I'm not CBA expert but there may even be something that restricts the age at which players can be signed to one-way deals on ELC's...

Quote:
And yes, I expect the Rangers scouts to say that about MZA no matter what. After all, they are still part of the Rangers organization and therefore the Rangers PR team. Plus, nothing in that quote assures him a roster spot. All that quote does is say that this is what they expect from him, without a timetable. Hedberg could just as easily be talking about 4 months into the season as he could be talking about opening night. If he doesn't meet expectations right away, he's not getting a roster spot.

Dude this is ridiculous... They interview Gordie Clark about MZA and he's sticking the adjective very, very in front of his compliments on his player attributes... The report from the Detroit scout suggested we were confident enough in his abilities to promise him top-line minutes when we negotiated with him, and the quote from our European scout says they did not sign him to play in Hartford or on our 4th line... What more do you need to hear to think otherwise that it's just about a sure thing that he's making this team? The writing is on the wall... Not a single one of Prucha/Dawes/Dubinsky/Callahan/Korpokoski got even remotely close to the amount of feedback that MZA has gotten from our organization and they all got starting roster spots on our top 3 lines after pre-seasons that were absolutely nothing special in their respective years... Somehow a different standard applies to this player for whatever reason?

Old
08-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Actually MZA had to sign an entry level contract which under the CBA must be a two way contract, regardless of the team signing him. Gilroy was beyond the age where he could be signed to an ELC and therefore, teams were free to sign him to any type of contract they chose.

It's going to be very interesting to see if MZA can stick on the NHL roster without spending time in the minors. One thing to remember, he played well in the Olympics--which were played on the NHL sized rinks. That's to his advantage. But, in the end, it comes down to how well he does during training camp/pre-season--and how many roster spots are available.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
1 and 2-way contracts only have to do with money being paid, not where the player has to play... How does this factor into the likelihood that he makes the team from the get go?

Look at his age... The CBA restricts how much money he can get because of his age... He had to sign an entry level contract... His cap hit is $900K per season + bonuses... There was no bidding match for him.... I'm not CBA expert but there may even be something that restricts the age at which players can be signed to one-way deals on ELC's...

Dude this is ridiculous... They interview Gordie Clark about MZA and he's sticking the adjective very, very in front of his compliments on his player attributes... The report from the Detroit scout suggested we were confident enough in his abilities to promise him top-line minutes when we negotiated with him, and the quote from our European scout says they did not sign him to play in Hartford or on our 4th line... What more do you need to hear to think otherwise that it's just about a sure thing that he's making this team? The writing is on the wall... Not a single one of Prucha/Dawes/Dubinsky/Callahan/Korpokoski got even remotely close to the amount of feedback that MZA has gotten from our organization and they all got starting roster spots on our top 3 lines after pre-seasons that were absolutely nothing special in their respective years... Somehow a different standard applies to this player for whatever reason?
Uh... you don't remember the hype surrounding Prucha and Dawes? Or Callahan as our future captain? Dubinsky is different, since he really broke through because he meshed with Jagr.

I never said one-way or two-way deals have to do with where a player HAS to play, but rather whether or not a player is considered a "sure" thing.

I'm not sure about the CBA stuff either, but the $900k salary looks to me like it is for 2009 and 2010 draft-eligible players. MZA was draft eligible in 2006.

Agree to disagree, but I think he's got an even shot to start off the season in New York as he does in Hartford.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Uh... you don't remember the hype surrounding Prucha and Dawes? Or Callahan as our future captain? Dubinsky is different, since he really broke through because he meshed with Jagr.

I never said one-way or two-way deals have to do with where a player HAS to play, but rather whether or not a player is considered a "sure" thing.

I'm not sure about the CBA stuff either, but the $900k salary looks to me like it is for 2009 and 2010 draft-eligible players. MZA was draft eligible in 2006.

Agree to disagree, but I think he's got an even shot to start off the season in New York as he does in Hartford.
The Prucha/Dawes hype was on Ranger forums from fans... By no means was our organization talking those players up in the manner we're hearing things about MZA... It wasn't even anticipated in advance that those players were to make the team on any given season.... And never has one of our scouts ever given and interview and assert that one of our prospects would not be playing on our farm team and was expected to play on our top 2 lines... This is a different situation.... All I'm saying is that there is serious merit to what's being said and what's going to transpire....

Old
08-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
The Prucha/Dawes hype was on Ranger forums from fans... By no means was our organization talking those players up in the manner we're hearing things about MZA... It wasn't even anticipated in advance that those players were to make the team on any given season.... And never has one of our scouts ever given and interview and assert that one of our prospects would not be playing on our farm team and was expected to play on our top 2 lines... This is a different situation.... All I'm saying is that there is serious merit to what's being said and what's going to transpire....
Once again... if he doesn't live up to expectations, he's not going to be on the team. He's lucky. He only has to live up to expectations and not exceed them, like Grachev or Weise would have to. But there is nothing in what anyone said that puts him in the same status with the team as Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Frolov, Drury, etc. He is NOT guaranteed a spot on this team.

Old
08-04-2010, 11:59 PM
HockeyBurd*

Can you please post a link to the quote where "a scout" asserts that MZA will "not be playing on our farm team".

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:02 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Can you please post a link to the quote where "a scout" asserts that MZA will "not be playing on our farm team".

It's already posted on this very page of the thread (post #577), but here it is again, lol

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/page/2/

Quote:
So what can we as Rangers’ fans expect from Aasen? Anders Hedberg, who is the Rangers’ head professional European scout, has some pretty high expectations for Aasen saying, “We did not recruit him because he will play on our fourth line or on our farm team, but we expect him to fit in in one of our top five.”

Old
08-05-2010, 08:35 AM
NY Ranger86

for the people putting Todd White on the first line...

please stop

"well he was good 2 yrs ago!"... 2 years is 2 years... come on.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
for the people putting Todd White on the first line...

please stop

"well he was good 2 yrs ago!"... 2 years is 2 years... come on.
Our current #1 center has been waived twice and had basically both feet outside of the NHL, so it's not like NYR hasn't been using other teams' garbage before (Rosie from PIT comes to mind).

On a strong team, it would be ludicrous idd, but on this team, with a pathetically weak center depth, it's not impossible. White comes off a injury year. If he can regain strength and his step this off-season, he could be a top 6 center for us, if not, well... we are as weak at center as we've ever been.

Sure, we have a bunch of guys who can play center, but it's not like they're excelling at it. It's more like that the other choices would be even worse.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I think MZA and White will both be on the opening night roster if it works with the cap.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
It's already posted on this very page of the thread (post #577), but here it is again, lol

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/page/2/
Oh no, I saw that quote. I was hoping to see the one where he asserts that he will "not be playing on our farm team". As it would be completely insane for a scout to actually say something that absurd.

Of course they didn't recruit him to play on the 4th line or on the farm team. What kind of moronic recruiting would have a diminutive forward like him targeted for 4th line duties. Why would they go out of their way to scout and court somebody to play in the minors? Also makes no sense. Clearly they signed him to play on the top two lines and score a ton of points. Did anybody really need a scout to explain that?

If he plays like he belongs in the AHL, he'll be playing in the AHL. Unless he decides to breach his contract or they come up with some other arrangement.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote