HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gross: Frolov will play on top line

Old
08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Gross: Frolov will play on top line

Not on the second (where he will be by the end of the season, IMHO).
Excellent read. Enjoy:

http://www.sportshaze.com/an-intervi...-andrew-gross/

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Torts already confirmed this a week ago, but people like to ignore that for some reason.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Levitate

Not surprising but yeah, things will get mixed up at some point in the season. No coach keeps his lines the same all the time

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:23 PM
GAGLine

I can't for the life of me fathom why you care so much about this. Frolov will play wherever Tort's puts him. I'm sure that will be both with Gaborik and without him.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:27 PM
ruckus*

Yeah this is common sense. A 2 + 2 = 4 type thing. However 94 thinks this somehow proves his conspiracy theories of Frolov only signing because Sather guaranteed him top line with Gaborik and that Tortorella has no say in it.

Unfortunately, anyone who watches hockey, or saw how Torts shuffled lines last year, could've figured out that Frolov would play with Gaborik at some point.

But I guess it's more fun to make up conspiracy theories over dumb things that aren't even really that big of a deal.

Thanks for the interview link though!

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I can't for the life of me fathom why you care so much about this. Frolov will play wherever Tort's puts him. I'm sure that will be both with Gaborik and without him.
Sather runs the show here. Torts put players wherever he wants only after Slats indicates to him that he no longer cares.
Therefore, on the starting night Frolov will play 1st line wing with Gaborik. Based on what I heard and read it is an unwritten part of his contract that Torts must and will respect.
I doubt it is an obvious choice. The obvious choice is to put both on 1st PP unit. The reason it is not lays in the fact that Frolov do not see himself as secondary scorer, he thinks he is a primary one. Rangers will let him to figure that out.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Sather runs the show here. Torts put players wherever he wants only after Slats indicates to him that he no longer cares.
Therefore, on the starting night Frolov will play 1st line wing with Gaborik. Based on what I heard and read it is an unwritten part of his contract that Torts must and will respect.
I doubt it is an obvious choice. The obvious choice is to put both on 1st PP unit. The reason it is not lays in the fact that Frolov do not see himself as secondary scorer, he thinks he is a primary one. Rangers will let him to figure that out.
I think you're taking minor thing and blowing it up into a conspiracy theory.

OF COURSE in negotiations Frolov and his camp wanted to make sure ice time and at least a chance to play first line minutes were assured. Pretty sure role/playing time is a part of every FA negotiation.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:57 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The scary thing is that you believe that. Sather doesn't tell Torts where to play which players, and I'm sure Torts wouldn't listen to him if he did.

I'm also sure Torts doesn't care what Frolov see himself as. Torts will put Frolov where he thinks he will be the most benefit to the team, whether thats on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th line, or if it's on the bench or in the stands.

The bottom line is that Frolov is a top 6 player and we are a team short on top 6 players, so he has a great opportunity here. A better opportunity than he had last year in LA. You don't need to read anything more into it than that.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:04 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I think you're taking minor thing and blowing it up into a conspiracy theory.

OF COURSE in negotiations Frolov and his camp wanted to make sure ice time and at least a chance to play first line minutes were assured. Pretty sure role/playing time is a part of every FA negotiation.

Trust me, I told him in the Staal/Torts thread that this is common sense, but he's convinced he's right.

He also goes by the belief that since we can't disprove his theory that his opinion is just as legitimate as ours.

Even though ours comes from common sense, and his comes from...Well I have no idea where it comes from.

I guess he just wants to try and come up with whacky theories and then get to say he's right at some point?

Even though I'm not sure how he could ever prove he was right. Seeing as if/when it happens those of us with half a brain will say yeah, that was common sense.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
There is nothing wrong with or unique about a GM telling his coach "we told free agent X that he would get a long look on our top line, so let's see what he can do there first before moving him around."

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

So.... to start things off

Frolov - Christensen - Gaborik (WOW, that is a ton of skill, I hope this works)

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Aasen

Prospal - Drury - Callahan

Boogaard - Avery - Prust

not bad... certainly more promising than in years past.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
So.... to start things off

Frolov - Christensen - Gaborik (WOW, that is a ton of skill, I hope this works)

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Aasen

Boogaard - Avery - Prust

not bad... certainly more promising than in years past.
Christensen is like 6 months removed from being picked up on the scrap heap.

a ton of skill? really? theres some skill there, sure, especially on the wings...but up the middle its a huge question mark.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

a ton of skill? really? theres some skill there, sure, especially on the wings...but up the middle its a huge question mark.
Yeah, Stepan can't get here soon enough. lol

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:33 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

You have to acknowledge that EC has a ton of talent and skill.

Now harnessing that and putting it to good use...that is a different story.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

If this is true then this would figure for opening day:

Frolov - Christensen - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - MZA
Avery - White - Prust
Boogaard

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan in PGH View Post

Avery - White - Prust
Boogaard
Thats a lot of depth, but somehow, I dont see White in the opening night lineup, or Boogaard starting the season a scratch.

The question is; who plays 3rd line RW if MZA shows he is not pro ready? Prospal, Avery, Dubinsky all can play LW but not right, and if Frolov is playing RW on the top line that puts him out of contention as well.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:41 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

no brainer. the real question is "how long will he stay on the first line?"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Trust me, I told him in the Staal/Torts thread that this is common sense, but he's convinced he's right.

He also goes by the belief that since we can't disprove his theory that his opinion is just as legitimate as ours.

Even though ours comes from common sense, and his comes from...Well I have no idea where it comes from.

I guess he just wants to try and come up with whacky theories and then get to say he's right at some point?

Even though I'm not sure how he could ever prove he was right. Seeing as if/when it happens those of us with half a brain will say yeah, that was common sense.
This is the same guy that thought Chad Johnson was going to replace Lundqvist...

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:53 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
I'm thinking:

Dubinsky - Prospal - MZA
Drury - Anismov - Callahan
Prust/Avery - Avery/Prust - Boogaard
Boyle

If MZA doesn't make it:

Dubinsky - Prospal - Callahan
Drury/Avery - Anisimov - Avery/Drury
Prust - Boyle - Boogaard

I think Drury's time as an NHL centerman has passed him by. He may take faceoffs, but he's a wing the rest of the way, unless he's on the fourth line.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
HockeyBurd*

I think that by far the most humorous concept that Rangers fans have concocted and perpetuated all summer is the idea that Christensen can only play center to Gaborik. If he isn't playing center to Gaborik, he is incapable of contributing to the team... and this is supposed to be an NHL caliber player.

When exactly have the Rangers not tried to put together the absolute best 1st line they could right out of the gate? When have they not tried to come as close as possible to a legit first line as they possibly could on day 1? Who is capable of putting up more points and creating more scoring chances for his winger... Christensen or Prospal? Who is more talented? Who did Gaborik play better with and have more chemistry with? Who has a long history of putting up points and playing on top lines? EC had 5 goals 16 pts in his last 23 games (14 of those games being pointless) playing with Gaborik (to rave reviews). Prospal had 9 goals 15 pts in his last 23 not playing with Gaborik and coming off an injury (to woeful reviews).

I'm quite sure at some point all of Christensen, Prospal, Anisimov, White and Dubinsky will center the top line in Torts quest to find/recapture that ever elusive chemistry. But it would be sort of surprising to see a player of Christensen's caliber (who was a move out of desperation) to be immediately put on that first line. That's kind of like calling it quits before the thing even starts.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan in PGH View Post

Avery - White - Prust
Boogaard
Rangers open with the LEafs and Islanders in the first week Boogy isn't going to be a healthy scratch. MZA needs to earn a spot out of camp and isn't a lock.
White isn't staying up with his cap hit to be a 3rd line center

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I think we should definitely consider Prospal at C on one of the first two lines and Christensen in our bottom six. I think it's kind of funny that Vinny puts up 58 points and he's already lower on the depth chart than E and Frodo. Granted, Christensen was almost a PPG for the last two weeks of the season and Vinny played a lot of LW last year... I just would want the guy who produced most for us most last year on the ice for the longest out of the three.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:54 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Just remember that playing with first line teammates means facing first line defense pairings.

I used to be obsessed with tinkering with lines as a kid. Had the back pages of every notebook in high school filled with different combinations of players that I worked out when I was supposed to be taking notes.

Now I realize that the lines will change over the course of the season. Every fanbase complains about their coach juggling lines, but it's part of finding that elusive chemistry. Tortorella will shuffle these players around.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Just remember that playing with first line teammates means facing first line defense pairings.

I used to be obsessed with tinkering with lines as a kid. Had the back pages of every notebook in high school filled with different combinations of players that I worked out when I was supposed to be taking notes.

Now I realize that the lines will change over the course of the season. Every fanbase complains about their coach juggling lines, but it's part of finding that elusive chemistry. Tortorella will shuffle these players around.
Uh-Oh....

You just made a lot of people 'mad.' We can't POSSIBLY get chemistry when we keep shuffling lines! THAT is why we're not scoring! It's because we keep shuffling lines!

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:14 PM
CM PUNK

i don't think there is much doubt that frolov and gaborik would be good together, the question is whether or not that would leave us as a one line team with no depth.

there are several possible combos of the top line that i think can be pretty good cause pretty much any line with a healthy gaborik is going to score...but the other 3 lines especially the 2nd line makes me cringe at times.

i could see dubinsky challenging the 30 goal mark this year on the top line but i'm not sure i see him coming even close to that playing with AA, so does frolov increase enough on the top line to offset the decrease from dubi not playing on the top line? or both EC and prospal put up decent points playing with gaborik, do either of them come close to that on another line? (just to throw out 2 examples)

obviously in a perfect world this will all be made a non-issue as MZA shows up ready to score at the nhl level and guys like drury, callahan and avery bounce back with big years. but i'm concerned about our 2nd line and where the 'secondary' scoring is coming from

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote