HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The depth defenseman

Old
08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

vCash: 500
The depth defenseman

There are a number of reliable, depth defensemen still out there on the open market. Every team could use an extra body or two to fill these roles, especially with injuries to consider over the course of the season. Are these guys pricing themselves out of range so far? Not enough buyers? Are teams just holding out until the fall to get those who slip through the cracks at a reduced rate?

I'm thinking of Paul Mara, Freddy Meyer, Nick Boynton, Jay McKee, Aaron Ward, Randy Jones, Mike Mottau, Shane Hnidy, Garnet Exelby, MAB, and so on and so forth.

Are teams banking on filling #6/7 roles from within with rookies or unproven guys on league minimum contracts?

Just curious.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
denkiteki

A few of those will likely be training camp invitees and teams will have them battle it out for a spot vs prospects. Some of them might be asking for too much right now and teams are not willing to pay that amount for a #6/7/8 dman.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
There are a number of reliable, depth defensemen still out there on the open market. Every team could use an extra body or two to fill these roles, especially with injuries to consider over the course of the season. Are these guys pricing themselves out of range so far? Not enough buyers? Are teams just holding out until the fall to get those who slip through the cracks at a reduced rate?

I'm thinking of Paul Mara, Freddy Meyer, Nick Boynton, Jay McKee, Aaron Ward, Randy Jones, Mike Mottau, Shane Hnidy, Garnet Exelby, MAB, and so on and so forth.

Are teams banking on filling #6/7 roles from within with rookies or unproven guys on league minimum contracts?

Just curious.
Yess

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:39 PM
discostu

There has been a couple of interesting depth defenceman signings that I've found interesting in the past week. Both Alex Picard and David Hale signed two-way deals this past week that likely sees them filling out a spot in the minors, with the chance of being an injury call-up. Both players have been NHL regulars for the last few seasons, and both seem to feel that they needed to resign themselves to being a minor leaguer if they still wanted to get signed to an NHL club.

You may see other guys who have been regular NHL players having to do the same thing if they want to get signed. Others may gamble and hope that teams hit some unforeseen circumstance that makes them go out and scramble to find a solution, but, for the most part I think one of the issues facing a lot of these borderline defenceman is that there has been a lot of talented defenceman in the last few drafts (2008 in particular), and that wave of talent is putting pressure on some of these guys for roster spots.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:45 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i'd like toronto to trade kaberle here pretty quick and sign freddy meyer as our #6 guy

yeah, that's right i want freddy myer

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:24 PM
crazyforhockey

With W mitchell able to play again this year(after concussion)whe nhe signs..there may be dmen let go ....SJ...Huskins..maybe Murray...if Van signs him does Obrien or Alberts come availiable?
or if Kaberle traded does someone become availiable...

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
jd22

vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
With W mitchell able to play again this year(after concussion)whe nhe signs..there may be dmen let go ....SJ...Huskins..maybe Murray...if Van signs him does Obrien or Alberts come availiable?
or if Kaberle traded does someone become availiable...
Yes, most likely. And DEFINITELY Bieksa. If the Canucks re-sign Mitchell I could see SOB and Bieksa traded, with Alberts and Rome being 7 and 8 - or even Rome as 7 and Alberts gone as well.

jd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:36 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Is it just me, or has Kim Johnsson fallen through the cracks?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Biggzy*

Our entire team (Panthers) is depth defensemen. Minus Kulikov maybe.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Is it just me, or has Kim Johnsson fallen through the cracks?
Retired I think due to PCS

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote