HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington-Toronto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
  #76
i2edAlien
Registered User
 
i2edAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
I beg to differ. Semin is NOT afraid to drop his gloves.
Burke doesn't like percussionists.

i2edAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:53 PM
  #77
third man in
Registered User
 
third man in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
I beg to differ. Semin is NOT afraid to drop his gloves.
I think you need to watch Kessel's pillow fight again.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:56 PM
  #78
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,342
vCash: 500
Kaberle for Fleischmann?

Both teams deal from a position of strength to strengthen a weakness.

The Caps get a veteran blueliner to help solidify their blueline, though a puck mover and not more of a defensive specialist and only for 1 year as they aren't likely to be able to resign him, and the Leafs get a fairly young top 6 winger whose goals and point totals last year would have ranked him 2nd on the Leafs.

Now maybe the Leafs think they can get more the Kaberle and maybe the Caps don't want to deal Fleischmann since they don't know if Semin will be back after next season.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
  #79
Dutch Dreams
Registered User
 
Dutch Dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsandHoos View Post
Haha, are you serious?

1)Washington does want Kaberle!!!! We already have Green and OV at point.
2) Even if we did need Kaberle, Semin>>>>>>>>Kaberle, so you have to add a lot
3) This the worst propasal you have seen? I mean really? You must not see all the rediculous you leaf fans come out with.
I know they don't need him. If you look at my first post in the thread you'll find out as much. Semin and Kaberle hold equal value. They are both very good at what they do and have only a year left on their contracts. Both of them would not hold extended value to each respective team as Washington already has arguably the best offensive defenseman in the league and we have of the best snipers ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
Sure, I get it, but some people on this board act like Burke is this idiot who would never ever signed a soft, skilled player because it isn't a Burke player.
Yep.. this 'Burke type player' is certainly a myth. I'm sure he does prefer that type of player, but he certainly doesn't ignore talent when it presents itself favourably.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:04 PM
  #80
Dutch Dreams
Registered User
 
Dutch Dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Kaberle for Fleischmann?

Both teams deal from a position of strength to strengthen a weakness.

The Caps get a veteran blueliner to help solidify their blueline, though a puck mover and not more of a defensive specialist and only for 1 year as they aren't likely to be able to resign him, and the Leafs get a fairly young top 6 winger whose goals and point totals last year would have ranked him 2nd on the Leafs.

Now maybe the Leafs think they can get more the Kaberle and maybe the Caps don't want to deal Fleischmann since they don't know if Semin will be back after next season.
Fleischmann is a pseudo second-liner with questionable ability to remain in form, especially at the most critical times, like the playoffs. He's certainly not worth a Kaberle, not to mention he's not exactly the type of player we need.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:11 PM
  #81
hatterson
Global Moderator
 
hatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,964
vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsandHoos View Post
Haha, are you serious?

1)Washington does want Kaberle!!!! We already have Green and OV at point.
2) Even if we did need Kaberle, Semin>>>>>>>>Kaberle, so you have to add a lot
3) This the worst propasal you have seen? I mean really? You must not see all the rediculous you leaf fans come out with.
Am I the only one who thinks that this just isn't true?

The "he's only a rental" argument is void here so it's simply comparing Kaberle's value with Semin's. And Kaberle makes 1.75M less.

Yes I think Semin has more value, but I don't think it's a case of >>>>>>>>>>, or even >>>

IMO Kaberle plus a good prospect is enough to get Semin


Last edited by hatterson: 07-26-2010 at 08:49 AM.
hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:14 PM
  #82
bonzaibondra12
Registered User
 
bonzaibondra12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post
Fleischmann is a pseudo second-liner with questionable ability to remain in form, especially at the most critical times, like the playoffs. He's certainly not worth a Kaberle, not to mention he's not exactly the type of player we need.
A young 60 pt scorer isn't worth 1-year of an aging marginal defenseman? You forgot the

Yea Kaberle + a prospect named Schenn would get you Semin.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:25 PM
  #83
Doctor Perry Cox*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
I know I'm four pages behind, but the only reason I say no to this deal is because I think Luke Schenn has greater trade value. The dude sucks though. If I'm looking at it strictly from a fairness standpoint, that's fine. But I think Luke Schenn is overrated to the point where he alone could get us something pretty good.

Doctor Perry Cox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:09 PM
  #84
jh477
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
A young 60 pt scorer isn't worth 1-year of an aging marginal defenseman? You forgot the

Yea Kaberle + a prospect named Schenn would get you Semin.
Ouch... adding Schenn makes it one-sided for the Caps considering Schenn is under contract for the next two seasons at a modest price(RFA after it expires), he's only 20 years old, and he has the upside to be a top shutdown defenceman.

I think a deal centered around Schenn would make more sense for the Caps. The Caps don't need another PMD, but they could really use a young defensive D with upside, which is exactly what he brings to the table.

Problem is, Leafs management and Leafs fans hold him to a high regard and typically aren't willing to trade him, so we should maybe just end this thread since the Caps don't need Kaberle and I doubt Burke wants to trade his best defenceman for a 1 season rental player, albeit a very good one.

I'm guessing the Caps are never gonna consider moving Semin to the Leafs, simply because, what the Caps need, the Leafs won't give.. a Shutdown D and a 2nd line Center, and I'm pretty sure Schenn, Bozak and Kadri are gonna be Leafs for at least a couple more seasons if not more.

I suck at explaining.

jh477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:10 PM
  #85
Fallschirmyager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh477 View Post
Ouch... adding Schenn makes it one-sided for the Caps considering Schenn is under contract for the next two seasons at a modest price(RFA after it expires), he's only 20 years old, and he has the upside to be a top shutdown defenceman.

I think a deal centered around Schenn would make more sense for the Caps. The Caps don't need another PMD, but they could really use a young defensive D with upside, which is exactly what he brings to the table.

Problem is, Leafs management and Leafs fans hold him to a high regard and typically aren't willing to trade him, so we should maybe just end this thread since the Caps don't need Kaberle and I doubt Burke wants to trade his best defenceman for a 1 season rental player, albeit a very good one.

I'm guessing the Caps are never gonna consider moving Semin to the Leafs, simply because, what the Caps need, the Leafs won't give.. a Shutdown D and a 2nd line Center, and I'm pretty sure Schenn, Bozak and Kadri are gonna be Leafs for at least a couple more seasons if not more.

I suck at explaining.
Incorrect. your explanation used common sense. That's why it seems odd. lol

There seems to be a lack of common sense used when making these proposals and I agree that these two teams don't make good trade partners.

Fallschirmyager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:25 PM
  #86
I am Canadian
Have faith.
 
I am Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
The only way this works for the Leafs is if it's Semin + extention for Kaberle + extention. Im pretty sure that wouldn't work for the Capitals.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:34 PM
  #87
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
The only way this works for the Leafs is if it's Semin + extention for Kaberle + extention. Im pretty sure that wouldn't work for the Capitals.
It's also completely impossible before January.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:40 PM
  #88
avengedsevenfold
Registered User
 
avengedsevenfold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTings View Post
What an amazingly skilled player?
Burke wants top 6 skilled players and top 6 **** Starters that can still produce!
Burke aquiring a player that will actually do jack **** on his team ?

Nah , that would just make too much effin sense !

avengedsevenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
  #89
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengedsevenfold View Post
Burke aquiring a player that will actually do jack **** on his team ?

Nah , that would just make too much effin sense !
i dont get this is this sarcasm if not then semin would easily be your best forward if not your best player on your team if you got him

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:36 PM
  #90
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
See this is what makes me laugh. Semin and a 3rd for Keberle and Schenn? how on earth is that a good trade for Toronto? Semin has skill but is he worth Kaberle with an extension and Luke Schenn? that's trading a top two defenseman and a guy who has a ton of potential and was selected 5th overall. If I was trading Schenn and Kaberle in the same package I would sure as hell be hoping for a player a lot better then Alexander Semin in return.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:29 AM
  #91
TRASHCAT
Registered User
 
TRASHCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btyahi View Post
Except for the fact that Burke would not want to touch Semin with a 10 foot pole? Why in a million years would Burke have any interest in Semin. He's like a younger Kozlov with a little more upside.
Because he would be your teams best player???

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:51 AM
  #92
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTings View Post
To Capitals:
D Luke Schenn- 2 Years ($2.975M)
D Tomas Kaberle- 1 Year ($4.250M) *+* Extension

To Toronto:
LW Alexander Semin- 1 Year ($6M) + Extension
3rd round pick 2011


Toronto's Lineup 010/11:

Semin - Bozak - Kessel
Versteeg - Kadri - Kulemin
Caputi - Grabo - Army
Orr - Sjostrom - Brown
Mueller

Callups:
J.Mitchell
D. Mitchell
Rosehill

Beauchemin - Phaneuf
Komisarek - Gunnarsson
Mitchell - Lebda
Finger ( Dumped in the minors)

Callups:
Kieth Aulie

Sign:
Why not take A chance On Willie Mitchell 1-2 Years ($2M or 2.5M)

What do you guys Think?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Schenn AND Kaberle? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAA

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:45 AM
  #93
mydnyte
Registered User
 
mydnyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTings View Post
Why?
because it's a huge overpayment for a "1 year rental" ...that's right, Leafs fans can use that line too!

Kaberle plus a little is fair, but if you want Schenn to go along, expect us to demand Carlson added to the package.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
  #94
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
A young 60 pt scorer isn't worth 1-year of an aging marginal defenseman? You forgot the

Yea Kaberle + a prospect named Schenn would get you Semin.
Kaberle is now officially the most underrated player on these boards.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
  #95
hatterson
Global Moderator
 
hatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,964
vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Kaberle is now officially the most underrated player on these boards.
Well he did get 2 out of 3 words right. He is aging (aren't we all) and he is a defenseman.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:10 AM
  #96
gabeliscious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
im pretty sure the burke wouldnt have interest in semin for several reasons but at the top of the list is he is already making $6 million for this season. it stands to reason he will want at a minimum the same amount if not more to extend long term. leafs dont really have an abundance of cap space.

the other thing is caps likely would part with flash, fehr, laich before semin. the problem in my opinion is none of those players straight up is worth kaberle. if your going to ***** that kabs has only one year left on his contract then for discussion purposes assume he will sign an extension with washington.

leafs are going to want a + to be accompanying one of laich, flash, or fehr and i dont think burke would value a late 1st in a weak draaft as much as he would a highly touted prospect.

irrespective, with carlsonn and green why would washington even want kaberle?????????

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:55 PM
  #97
GoHardtotheGoal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in a tent
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
im pretty sure the burke wouldnt have interest in semin for several reasons but at the top of the list is he is already making $6 million for this season. it stands to reason he will want at a minimum the same amount if not more to extend long term. leafs dont really have an abundance of cap space.

the other thing is caps likely would part with flash, fehr, laich before semin. the problem in my opinion is none of those players straight up is worth kaberle. if your going to ***** that kabs has only one year left on his contract then for discussion purposes assume he will sign an extension with washington.

leafs are going to want a + to be accompanying one of laich, flash, or fehr and i dont think burke would value a late 1st in a weak draaft as much as he would a highly touted prospect.

irrespective, with carlsonn and green why would washington even want kaberle?????????
WE DON'T! GOODBYE.

End of thread.

GoHardtotheGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
  #98
TyBOZAK*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brampton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTings View Post
To Capitals:
D Luke Schenn- 2 Years ($2.975M)
D Tomas Kaberle- 1 Year ($4.250M) *+* Extension

To Toronto:
LW Alexander Semin- 1 Year ($6M) + Extension
3rd round pick 2011


Toronto's Lineup 010/11:

Semin - Bozak - Kessel
Versteeg - Kadri - Kulemin
Caputi - Grabo - Army
Orr - Sjostrom - Brown
Mueller

Callups:
J.Mitchell
D. Mitchell
Rosehill

Beauchemin - Phaneuf
Komisarek - Gunnarsson
Mitchell - Lebda
Finger ( Dumped in the minors)

Callups:
Kieth Aulie

Sign:
Why not take A chance On Willie Mitchell 1-2 Years ($2M or 2.5M)

What do you guys Think?


To
WSH : Kaberle, Gunarssonn

To
TOR : Semin, Fleischmann

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:56 PM
  #99
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,164
vCash: 500
Semin should reallly be a non-starter for both teams. He's a huge part of their secondary scoring and unlikely to sign a deal with Toronto allows them to put the requisite pieces around him & Kessel (basically he'd have to take a paycut from $6m). Meanwhile, the Caps are easily in a position to give him a small raise, and realistically he's not going to be demanding more than $7-8m.

See quote below as towards the possibilities of Kaberle to Washington....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Washington is built around the mentality that "the best defence is a good offence" and I don't think anyone can argue with that fact considering their blueline and goaltending. Obviously this hasn't led to success in the playoffs, but it's hard to justify making signifcant changes when the building is full every single night, and you've won your division the past 3 years. They're sort of like the Sharks, who will refused for all these years refused to compromise teh structure of their team (leading to great regular seasons) for playoff success.

Most poster's logic on this board would dictate that the best thing they could do is get themselves a defensive defenceman like Volchenkov.... yet he signed in New Jersey for a reasonable $4.25m; something the caps had/still have plenty of room for. You can argue that it's because tehy didn't like him as a player for whatever reason; I contend that it was because he didn't fit into their philosophy of how they play the game. Volchenkov is an absolutely great shot blocker, crease-clearer, and physical guy, but he is not remotely good with the puck. If they slow down in transition, that's going to hurt their offensive game, and their team is not going to be able to win with that. So, while it may seem ludicrous for them to get a defenceman like Kaberle, it's really not outside the realm of possibility as to what they may think is a good idea, and if fact, may pay a premium for.

McPhee may very well have the mentality.... what if you take the League's most powerful offence, and ADD one of the league's best puckmoving defenceman???? Can we score 350 goals?? IS having Kaberle & Green on separate pairs going to mean that we can have Oveckin/Semin never cross the red line??

The problem is of course the return.... mainly in the fact taht the Capitals have very little to nothing the Leafs would actually want.... and it would take the Caps Fans/GM to realize (like they did with Knuble) that any player the Caps have on their roster is going to produce more than they do on another team. Knuble was coming off 55 and 47 point 82-game seasons in Philly. This year, he put up 53 in only 69 games, and that's for a player who is now 38 years old and should've been on a downhill slope.

You look at a guy like Brooks Laich -- 60 points playing a significant chunk of time with Ovechkin and on the PP. What's he going to produce in Toronto as likely platooning between the 3rd line C and top 6 LW? 45? What's his asking price going to be as a UFA next year after another 60 point year? I'd say he can take a look at Joe Pavelski and Ryan Kesler and say "I want that". Can the Caps get 60 points from a player for far less than $4-5m??? ABSOLUTELY. They could problably sign Afinogenov and reasonably expect career numbers. That's the benefit of having guys like Ovechkin, Backstrom, adn Semin.

It is for this reason that if any deal is made.... on paper (and by HF mentality) it will look like a horrible one for the caps. The value will come in the form of the fact they know Kaberle will elevate their offensive game even more (while still knowing where to play defence unlike Green), and that any offensive piece they lose (because the big 3 are going nowhere) is likely easily replacable. You'd problably be looking at something around Tomas Kaberle + Jesse Blacker + Luca Caputi for Brooks Laich, John Carlson, and Eric Fehr. Does this look like a ridiculous overpayment for a "1-year rental"? Absolutely, but GMs regularily place significant value on 1 year rentals and the premium of the potential to resign them. It also doesn't look like nearly as big an overpayment when you consider that Kaberle has looked like crap because of the team he's on, while Laich and Fehr are problably 45-and-40 point players respectively outside of Washington. Blacker gives them an insurance policy if Kaberle walks, and Caputi challenges for a spot similar to the role that Fehr played near the bottom of their lineup.

Is it a guarantee that McPhee has this mentality? absolutely not. But, based on the moves he's made (or lack thereof) it's certain a possibility; and if it is, chances are he's going to pay a premium to get another true elite offensive talent on his team for $4.25m.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
  #100
Canuckle
West Coast Express
 
Canuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,985
vCash: 500
Stubborn Burke will never trade a guy like Luke Schenn for a Semin type player. Bank on it.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.