HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds trade Mike Santorelli to Florida for a conditional 2011 5th

Old
08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
PredDave

vCash: 500
Beat me to it....

I just saw on Twitter:

Mike Santorelli to Florida for conditional 5th or 4th RD pick in 2011.

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What kind of pick would you expect for Mike Santorelli? (Or for that matter Mark? Could be a package deal for a couple of picks)

Mirtle broke it on Twitter: Mike Santorelli for a Conditional 5th. http://twitter.com/mirtle
Now to wait for what the conditions are.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Saw this coming

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Now to wait for what the conditions are.
Likely conditional on Santorelli signing with Florida given that he's currently without a contract.

That's speculation on my part, however.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Don't ask me about the Milwaukee depth chart. Let someone more Knowledgeable provide that.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Oof. I was expecting a little bit better. I'm glad we cleared a body out to free up some room, but can we really draft someone better in the 5th round. Santo was a solid guy that could have seen NHL minutes, and im not sure a 5th round pick can do that. We basicly traded a known quantity for a variable, but with poiles drafting abilities, I'm sure he'll do great.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:

Don't ask me about the Milwaukee depth chart. Let someone more Knowledgeable provide that.
You know what I find the most fascinating with that?

The fact you essentially created a "deck of cards" with the roster/staff.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:27 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Oof. I was expecting a little bit better. I'm glad we cleared a body out to free up some room, but can we really draft someone better in the 5th round. Santo was a solid guy that could have seen NHL minutes, and im not sure a 5th round pick can do that. We basicly traded a known quantity for a variable, but with poiles drafting abilities, I'm sure he'll do great.
Santo was a 6th round pick. If a 6th round pick could do that, surely a 5th round pick could potentially do so as well.

I know what you're saying, I'm just pulling your leg.

Santorelli really had no spot on this team. Even the likelihood of several veterans leaving after this season (Smithson, etc.) would not have opened a spot for him next season.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
You know what I find the most fascinating with that?

The fact you essentially created a "deck of cards" with the roster/staff.

Yes I did! I was ready to write a blog for the boards where I made the Preds and Ads roster playing 52 card pick up. Now, we have to wait for a signing to fill the last card that was Mike Santorelli. LOL!

If it's Theo, then the Vet G becomes a Vet F

Old
08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Santo was a 6th round pick. If a 6th round pick could do that, surely a 5th round pick could potentially do so as well.

I know what you're saying, I'm just pulling your leg.

Santorelli really had no spot on this team. Even the likelihood of several veterans leaving after this season (Smithson, etc.) would not have opened a spot for him next season.
Santorelli would also have had to clear waivers this season to be sent to Milwaukee...so this avoids a Peverley scenario that was likely to occur.

Good for Mike Santorelli though. I have no doubt he gave it his all during his time in the organization and commend him for that. It was clear he wasn't going to work out in Nashville and I hope the change of scenery does him well (except of course when playing against the Nashville organization)...

This was a good move by Poile. Now just hoping there is a second part to this transaction...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
This was a good move by Poile. Now just hoping there is a second part to this transaction...
Yeah, I need to complete my deck of cards.

Old
08-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Seth Lake

For those wondering...our last six 5th round picks have worked out fairly well for us thus far:

Patrick Cehlin (2010)
Gabriel Bourque (2009)
Taylor Stefishen (2008)
Andreas Thuresson (2007)
Mark Dekanich (2006)
Cal O'Reilly (2005)

Old
08-05-2010, 12:54 PM
predfan24

Santorelli is all speed and shot. He doesn't have the overall offensive abilities that Peverly has so I doubt this turns into a Peverly situation. Glad we got something for him but we really need to concentrate on moving O'Reilly and Sulzer.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
SilasAdams

dumb

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Thats about all we could expect for Santorelli. I guess its a good deal as Santo would have been stuck in Milwaukee for the rest of his career here.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:13 PM
token grinder

I can't beleive there are some thinking we could get more for him. we got a pick for a guy who wasn't gonna see nashville again. good deal.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Not a big le Press fan. They blew up the Kostitsyn situation and tries to lean more towards tabloid than reputable news source. Still two steps above the TNesan.
Quote:
@SLakePreds The reporter in Mtl contacted me yesterday and said his source on Preds & Theo talking is good so we shall see.
http://twitter.com/diamondhockey/status/20407256553

Jim Diamond (@diamondhockey) rocks! If you have Twitter and aren't following him...there's no other beat writer covering the team that I know of on Twitter...so why haven't you followed him yet?

Old
08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
http://twitter.com/diamondhockey/status/20407256553

Jim Diamond (@diamondhockey) rocks! If you have Twitter and aren't following him...there's no other beat writer covering the team that I know of on Twitter...so why haven't you followed him yet?
I second this.

Old
08-05-2010, 02:29 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
If you can read french...I believe the reports were that this story has a quote from Theodore's agent that conflicts with Poile's statement from Tuesday night...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS1
Actually I believe it quotes Theodore's agent as saying he hasn't talked with the Preds. "Don Meehan, l'agent de Théodore, a toutefois nié avoir eu des pourparlers avec les Predators. «Je n'ai pas parlé avec eux», a-t-il fait savoir dans un courriel envoyé à La Presse."

The quote about the talks with the Preds is from another source.

Who knows?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I can't beleive there are some thinking we could get more for him. we got a pick for a guy who wasn't gonna see nashville again. good deal.
Anything less than Ovechkin is a terrible return for a great star such as Santorelli.

Old
08-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Actually I believe it quotes Theodore's agent as saying he hasn't talked with the Preds. "Don Meehan, l'agent de Théodore, a toutefois nié avoir eu des pourparlers avec les Predators. «Je n'ai pas parlé avec eux», a-t-il fait savoir dans un courriel envoyé à La Presse."

The quote about the talks with the Preds is from another source.

Who knows?
I do, I do! You're right. It does say that.

Here's my translation, both from what I know of the language and with a little help from a translator:

It's now the Nashville Predator's turn to woo Jose Theodore. The Press learned yesterday that the Western Conference team has been thinking about making an offer to the Quebec goaltender. One source familiar with the matter, we have been able to learn, says that the Predators are mulling over the idea of extending a contract to the 33 year old goaltender as a back up to Pekka Rinne of Finland, who played 58 games with the team last season. (Actually, the text says "juggling" over the idea, but I wasn't sure that was the term we'd use.)

Unlike many other teams in the NHL, the Nashville club is not strapped by the salary cap. Unless there is a surprising turnaround, Jose Theodore will have to be content with the job of backup goalie in 2010-11, despite playing 47 games last season in a Washington Capitals uniform. “There have been talks between Theodore and the Predators, but still no offer,” said our source. Theodore is eager to sign a new contract and the Predators are in the race for his services. One can say that the discussions were lively in recent days. Theodore's agent, Don Meehan, denied having talks with the Predators, however. “I haven't talked to them,” he advised in an email sent to The Press.

Time is running short for the veteran goalkeeper, who became an UFA on July 1st. Almost all starting goalkeeper positions have already been signed in the NHL, and several teams have no more room to maneuver due to salary cap constraints. Theodore hoped to sign a contract with the Chicago Blackhawks after the Niemi arbitration hearing this past weekend, but no offers came from the Hawks. The Stanley Cup champions chose to extend an offer to Marty Turco instead, who agreed to a $1.3 million one year contract on Monday.

Jose Theodore is seeking a one year contract for a salary of between $1.5 and $2 million. He still hopes to secure a position with a team this season, but the hiring of Turco in Chicago will likely force him to reconsider his salary requirements downward. The former Canadien could always choose to wait until training camps open before signing a new agreement. This “is a possible scenario in his case,” said our source. “There are injuries, things can change quickly in this league.”

At almost one month before the opening of training camp in the NHL, the Predators are probably the best option for Jose Theodore. The Tennessee club has only one goalie (Rinne) on its official roster. The presence of a veteran backup goaltender would be desirable for the team, which finished seventh in the Western conference last year.

Theodore concluded last regular season with the Capitals with an average of 2.81 and GAA of .911. He lost his starting position, however, during their playoff series against the Canadiens.

Last edited by Adz: 08-05-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Clarification
Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Seth,
I'm only counting 46 contracts right now. Ellis, Roussel and Latta are young enough to go back to the CHL and not count according to the CBA. Who am I missing that gets us at 49 with our QOs?

Old
08-05-2010, 07:23 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Good! One less undersized forward in the pipeline.
6 foot, 190 lbs is small for hockey? Cal is an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter. Horny and Erat are about the same size as Mike Santo.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Seth,
I'm only counting 46 contracts right now. Ellis, Roussel and Latta are young enough to go back to the CHL and not count according to the CBA. Who am I missing that gets us at 49 with our QOs?
You're right about the three sliding contracts. Forgot about that and was just looking at the 50 total contracts/qualifying offers. So, effectively we were already at 47 before today's move. Guess we weren't as hard up against the limit as I thought.

Maybe this move won't have a corresponding second part to it afterall...A few hours of sleep few do wonders to clear your mind!

Old
08-05-2010, 08:23 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
You're right about the three sliding contracts. Forgot about that and was just looking at the 50 total contracts/qualifying offers. So, effectively we were already at 47 before today's move. Guess we weren't as hard up against the limit as I thought.

Maybe this move won't have a corresponding second part to it afterall...A few hours of sleep few do wonders to clear your mind!
OK .... just making sure I was looking at the same data as you.