HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Federal Conservative party considering funding a Québec arena

Old
08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

vCash: 500
A new arena is not a spending, it's an investment. The arena will be profitable in the long run, which will pay back all the tax money that went into it, and even more.

They'll get my vote if it's true.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
You are a bit pessimistic and i understand that being a long time Nordiques fan myself. But The way i see it, with all the political good will right now is this: The city 50 M, the quebec government 100 M, the fed 100 M, and the naming of the arena 85M. The conservative really need the region of Quebec if they ever want to win a majority. Charest said often that Québec has to have a new Arena. The private funding will come with the naming rights. Labeaume said in an interview that he asked for 400M in order to get less after negociation. I have never been so optimistic about this arena.
If by region of Quebec you mean Montreal, Sure.
The conservatives need to avoid splitting the vote if they are to stand a chance.

As for the arena, I hope it gets done
Good for the province (if NHL ever returns)
Good for the country (olympic bid)

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
You are a bit pessimistic and i understand that being a long time Nordiques fan myself. But The way i see it, with all the political good will right now is this: The city 50 M, the quebec government 100 M, the fed 100 M, and the naming of the arena 85M. The conservative really need the region of Quebec if they ever want to win a majority. Charest said often that Québec has to have a new Arena. The private funding will come with the naming rights. Labeaume said in an interview that he asked for 400M in order to get less after negociation. I have never been so optimistic about this arena.
Same here it's gonna be great!

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:50 PM
FF de Mars

Good luck to the people of Québec, but I though you guys were already in bed with the Conservatives. I guess it's a thank you note

Seriously, best wishes and I can't wait for it to happen; and gotta love your mayor.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Nah I'm not pessimistic. We are closer to have this arena than we have ever been.

But I know pretty well that people expect to see this happening too quickly.

Charest has repeated every times he talked about this arena so far : private funds will be needed. Don't worry, PKP knows it too. Quebecor presented their project to Charest... I'm pretty sure they talked about this arena . But Quebecor would prefer not pay much for it. That's why they are waiting and not talking about this arena in public.

But about the feds, yeah I'm pessimistic. I just don't see how it would pass in english Canada. Yes the feds have given money to other cities in the past. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary for example all received (or will) money for different important sports events in the past... But nope. It doesn't matter. Quebec needs to obtain events to get financing too.

We'll see...

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
A new arena is not a spending, it's an investment. The arena will be profitable in the long run, which will pay back all the tax money that went into it, and even more.

If Quebec City wants and can afford a new arena by all means go ahead and build it.

It is not an investment, it is a place for people to go and spend their disposable income.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post

It's an investment based on a bid for 2022 olympic games. An investment based on the assumption Quebec city will get an NHL team.

A filled arena attracts revenue(mind you, funny how that revenue goes to the owners, which isnt the taxpayers) but if it's not filled with no team, what does it attract? How fun is the olympic stadium now, the maintenance on that god damn roof I hear about every 5 years is sure pleasant isn't it? At least in the olympic stadium's defense, it actually held an olympic game, the arena is based on false hopes. Give money to better things. They should create jobs and help economy more than they should build an arena with the potential(very little realistic chance) an NHL team or olympic game comes.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:42 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It's an investment based on a bid for 2022 olympic games. An investment based on the assumption Quebec city will get an NHL team.

A filled arena attracts revenue(mind you, funny how that revenue goes to the owners, which isnt the taxpayers) but if it's not filled with no team, what does it attract? How fun is the olympic stadium now, the maintenance on that god damn roof I hear about every 5 years is sure pleasant isn't it? At least in the olympic stadium's defense, it actually held an olympic game, the arena is based on false hopes. Give money to better things. They should create jobs and help economy more than they should build an arena with the potential(very little realistic chance) an NHL team or olympic game comes.
In an ideal world I would tend to agree with you
Unfortunately, the Quebec government does not have the best track record for spending money on job creation
That being said, an arena is as good or as bad as anything else that they're likely to spend money on, so that being the case, I'm all for it. At least it will be on something that I can appreciate.

Old
08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypad33 View Post
Elections are won or lost in Ontario.
Majorities are won in Quebec.
man is that ever true ....

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
In an ideal world I would tend to agree with you
Unfortunately, the Quebec government does not have the best track record for spending money on job creation
That being said, an arena is as good or as bad as anything else that they're likely to spend money on, so that being the case, I'm all for it. At least it will be on something that I can appreciate.
I understand your concern but unless you appreciate empty stands or at best an AHL/QMJHL team sporting a 400 million dollar arena, there's a problem.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:55 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I've voted Conservative federally since adscam. And I don't like them much either. I consider myself a libertarian. I adhere to no political party platform. Have no idea at present as to who I'll vote for next election.

However, the Conservatives have done a good job with our economy at a time when most world economies are and were getting hammered. Also, I agree with the Conservatives about doing away with the mandatory long form census with it's criminal liability. It amazes me how this has become a hot button issue. We accept this crap we might as well be sheep in a pen. Don't think for ourselves, they(our statisticians) will set us to pasture every day to perform set tasks with no room for deviation from their so called "public good". Cripes, ekes of the old communist "retraining camps". I won't even go into the fact that every goverment funded job has every employee spending at least a quarter of their day justifying their jobs by filling out forms about what they have done. And we wonder about the lack of productivity in this country. BTW, this is my opinion about how things are with our government bureaucrats who put in play the theories of our stats people. On the other hand, I find the Conservatives gravely lacking on criminal issues. Building more prisons when the crime rate is decreasing is just pure BS.

Now, about this federally funded Quebec rink proposal. Federally funded public works are an everyday occurence across this country. So, a big Homer Simpson "Doh!" about this one.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Garry Valk

After Stockwell Day's ridiculous speeches the past couple of days, they gotta buy votes somehow.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Sumhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Still won't vote for them
+1 I do not see why I should vote for them.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:06 PM
deandebean

Peladeau won't pay for the arena. Forget it. Heck, he never paid one cent to buy Videdotron (which is his cash cow right now), why would he put a cent in an infrastructure like an arena (not a cash cow except for the minority of them)? Peladeau will work to get a team WHEN the arena gets built. Until then, forget him.

Peladeau doesn't want to manage the arena. The Québec arena will never be as profitable as the Bell Centre, for example. He was ready to pay big money for the Bell Centre because it makes profits galore. The Québec arena would not.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
I've voted Conservative federally since adscam. And I don't like them much either. I consider myself a libertarian. I adhere to no political party platform. Have no idea at present as to who I'll vote for next election.

However, the Conservatives have done a good job with our economy at a time when most world economies are and were getting hammered. Also, I agree with the Conservatives about doing away with the mandatory long form census with it's criminal liability. It amazes me how this has become a hot button issue. We accept this crap we might as well be sheep in a pen. Don't think for ourselves, they(our statisticians) will set us to pasture every day to perform set tasks with no room for deviation from their so called "public good". Cripes, ekes of the old communist "retraining camps". I won't even go into the fact that every goverment funded job has every employee spending at least a quarter of their day justifying their jobs by filling out forms about what they have done. And we wonder about the lack of productivity in this country. BTW, this is my opinion about how things are with our government bureaucrats who put in play the theories of our stats people. On the other hand, I find the Conservatives gravely lacking on criminal issues. Building more prisons when the crime rate is decreasing is just pure BS.

Now, about this federally funded Quebec rink proposal. Federally funded public works are an everyday occurence across this country. So, a big Homer Simpson "Doh!" about this one.
The one thing I'd argue here is the economy. Had to write my MBA thesis on this last year, did tons of research, and the reality is that almost every backstop that saved us, be it legislation, regulation, enforcement, etc. was set up years, if not decades, ago. A lot of it was done by Paul Martin, but much of it even before his time.

It's a little far fetched to give the Conservatives any credit here. At best, they simply fought the temptation to change anything, and status quo worked.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:15 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

bunch of *******s laughing in our faces

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
=Garry Valk;27259371]The one thing I'd argue here is the economy. Had to write my MBA thesis on this last year, did tons of research, and the reality is that almost every backstop that saved us, be it legislation, regulation, enforcement, etc. was set up years, if not decades, ago. A lot of it was done by Paul Martin, but much of it even before his time.

It's a little far fetched to give the Conservatives any credit here. At best, they simply fought the temptation to change anything, and status quo worked.
True. But the fact is, unlike most other world governments, they drew a line and did not cross.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:50 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
True. But the fact is, unlike most other world governments, they drew a line and did not cross.
Much of the regulations and stability of the banking sector was put in place long before the Conservatives came to power. Monetary policy has been proven to be the most important aspect of this recession.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Namso

does quebec city really think it has even a 0.0000001% chance of getting the olympics in 2022!?!?!?

We just hosted the olympics, Consider that Canada has already hosted 3 games, and some huge countries have never hosted. That the USA needs to host the Olympic Games soon. That developed/developing countries in Asia/Middle East/Latin America will be able to handle the infrastructure by then.

Canada is not getting another games any time soon, especially not Quebec City when a a huge international centre like Toronto hasnt had them yet.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:59 PM
AntonCH

Winter not summer Olympics
slightly different story

Old
08-05-2010, 10:05 PM
PaganKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

Quebec city can't have show in the summer because the arena don't have the airing system is inadequate. An Arena is needed in Québec city not only for a NHL team or an Olympic bid but also for show and event in the city of Quebec

PaganKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Winter not summer Olympics
slightly different story
Even harder.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Arena first, then you get my vote.

And by get my vote, I mean I'll think about it and then vote for the opposition.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
does quebec city really think it has even a 0.0000001% chance of getting the olympics in 2022!?!?!?

We just hosted the olympics, Consider that Canada has already hosted 3 games, and some huge countries have never hosted. That the USA needs to host the Olympic Games soon. That developed/developing countries in Asia/Middle East/Latin America will be able to handle the infrastructure by then.

Canada is not getting another games any time soon, especially not Quebec City when a a huge international centre like Toronto hasnt had them yet.
It's a long time between the last games and 2022. You're saying what, Canada won't have the game until 2050 or something?

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Patofqc*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post

Quebec is bidding in 2022 in order to get the games in 2026 or 2030, That is how it works in Olympics. Has for having the games so quickly, just think about Calgary 1988 and vancouver 2010, thats a 22 year seperation. In 2030 it would be 20 years. There is principle of continental alternance. And when you think about it, there is not that many contries that can host the winter games. Either its the mountainous region in Europe or Asia, or Northern States. Especialy with Global Warming.

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote