HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Flatter hollows

Old
08-05-2010, 11:05 PM
The Spicy Shrimp

vCash: 500
Flatter hollows

From everything I've read, beginners and heavier skaters (both labels apply to me) should be using a flatter hollow. When I started up, I guess I got whatever hollow the person before me got (1/2?) Last time I got a 3/4, thinking it was going to help me from squeaking while stopping, but no luck. I moved to a 7/8 today. I'm about 250 right now. Would going up to a 1 inch hollow be too much for me if the 7/8 doesn't work? Does anyone else use a really flat hollow? What do you like about it compared to a standard cut?

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Duckguy

Well 3/4 is already a very flat hollow. Not sure if 7/8 or 1 is gonna make much of a difference. But, it's all about trial and error so i'd probably skip the 7/8 and go straight to the 1. Hopefully the ice is soft enough for you to get enough bite.

Duckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 01:55 AM
goord*

hope everything goes well

goord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You could also try FBV, it gives you the bite of a deep hollow and the glide of a shallow hollow.

How are your turns?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:37 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
From everything I've read, beginners and heavier skaters (both labels apply to me) should be using a flatter hollow. When I started up, I guess I got whatever hollow the person before me got (1/2?) Last time I got a 3/4, thinking it was going to help me from squeaking while stopping, but no luck. I moved to a 7/8 today. I'm about 250 right now. Would going up to a 1 inch hollow be too much for me if the 7/8 doesn't work? Does anyone else use a really flat hollow? What do you like about it compared to a standard cut?
i vary from 3/4 to 7/8.
im 5'11" 210 lbs. 39 yrs. old
i am skating for 33 yrs.
i am no beginner by any means, but i like the flatter hollow. and the ice up here is hard and fast.
flatter gives you less friction so you dont slow down between strides.
and you'll still be able to have sharp turns and stops.just get them sharpened regularly.
and what do you mean squeeking while stopping?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
i'm assuming he meant his blades are "chattering" on stops.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Skraut

I chattered a ton on stops as a beginner and a heaver guy. Eventually I just learned better control. In the over year I've been skating I've never messed with the hollow. Thought about going to something less when I really had problems, but eventually I just got better and overcame it.

Not saying that is what you need to do, just giving you my experience with it.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:52 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i'm assuming he meant his blades are "chattering" on stops.
he needs more strength in his legs than.
for the record i didnt experiment with hollows till about 2003 when i bought my own machine. all thru jrs. i was probably on 1/2".i feel i am a much better more fluid skater on the bigger hollow.i wish i skated on it back in my prime.

Old
08-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For a beginner there's no reason to go above 3/4, and from what it sounds like, I'd stick with 1/2 or 5/8 and practice stops. Nothing wrong with it, we all had to learn stops, but going flatter and flatter won't help in this case.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Bruwinz37

I am having a major chattering problem. I guess I am on the heavier side but this has never happened before I got the new skates that I am weaering now. Went from Nike Bauer to CCM. I will try to follow the "hollow" rule and flatten that out. Someone did my skates at a 1/2 inch and I could barely move on them.

Someone also mentioned getting the radius or how they are rocked...I dont know much about this at all.

While I am not a world class skater I am certainly a good skater and cannot figure out this problem.

Advice?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:07 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I am having a major chattering problem. I guess I am on the heavier side but this has never happened before I got the new skates that I am weaering now. Went from Nike Bauer to CCM. I will try to follow the "hollow" rule and flatten that out. Someone did my skates at a 1/2 inch and I could barely move on them.

Someone also mentioned getting the radius or how they are rocked...I dont know much about this at all.

While I am not a world class skater I am certainly a good skater and cannot figure out this problem.

Advice?
deaden the edges on some wood.
the bench, the boards,etc. i always had to do that when i had a new sharpening. and yes the skates should get rocked, but that shouldnt affect the stopping, just the quick turns.(tripping over your own blade like a toe pick)

Old
08-07-2010, 02:08 PM
IniNew

I'm 250 and skate 1/2. Chattering could mean you're not leaning far enough on the edge to get a shave instead of a chatter.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:15 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
I'm 250 and skate 1/2. Chattering could mean you're not leaning far enough on the edge to get a shave instead of a chatter.
THIS BIG TIME. get low.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:55 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Maybe you could have someone watch you and coach your technique. After that's done, then you focus on the right roh. The nice thing about going with a steeper hollow is you can dull them on the threshold of the bench.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:05 AM
nullterm

I had alot of trouble with deeper hollows so I switched to 3/4 and it made life alot easier stopping and transitioning.

Now that I'm more comfortable and confident, I'm slowly working back to a deeper hollow each time I get a new sharpen. I'm at 5/8 right now. Will probably go 1/2 next.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
I had alot of trouble with deeper hollows so I switched to 3/4 and it made life alot easier stopping and transitioning.

Now that I'm more comfortable and confident, I'm slowly working back to a deeper hollow each time I get a new sharpen. I'm at 5/8 right now. Will probably go 1/2 next.
Try 9/16 if your guy will do it for you. It's half way between 5/8 and 1/2.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote