HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introduction Thread!

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2010, 02:00 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Jeez, C_G, I'm sitting in a restaurant by myself, read your comment and burst out laughing. I'm going to spend the rest of the time here chewing on my fist so it doesn't happen again!

Sorry 'bout that girl! I saw what you were having for lunch on FB - way too funny!!

Old
08-03-2010, 04:01 PM
bradleybrendan

Name: Brendan

Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Kings,

Favorite Player(s): Giroux, Jagr, Kopitar, Hemsky, Upshall, Carle

Team: Holy Ghost Prep and Jr. Flyers U-18

Flyers fan since: As long as I remember.

I make youtube video's check them out at I've been a spectator for a few months and now feel the need to post.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:53 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrendan View Post
I've been a spectator for a few months and now feel the need to post.
Welcome aboard!

Old
08-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

found you an avatar, kuato

Old
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Did you want that chronologically, alphabetically, or in order of sheer stupidity?
Oh please do. Kuato would love very much to refute some of it. Certain amounts of criticism are expected (and warranted), but when a GM makes an effort to go after one of the team's biggest weaknesses (defense) that is a best case scenario.

Old
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

found you an avatar, kuato
Open your mind Quaid, open your mind!

Old
08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
Oh please do. Kuato would love very much to refute some of it. Certain amounts of criticism are expected (and warranted), but when a GM makes an effort to go after one of the team's biggest weaknesses (defense) that is a best case scenario.
Shelley
Walker (ridiculous salary, worse contract length)
Meszaros

I like the O'Donnell signing, and it was a necessary addition.
Meszaros was not horrendous, except for the salary.
Walker was beyond bad and there's no way around that one.
Shelley was completely unnecessary, especially at $1.5 million.

The Flyers needed a solid 5/6 defenseman, so Homer went out and overpaid for 2 of the 3 that he picked up.

But the worst thing is that Homer did nothing at all to address the biggest need. Absolutely nothing, except give a waiver wire pickup a raise when he was barely worth what he was making previously.

Until one of the 8 freakin' defensemen can play goal, Homer has shot himself in the foot this year and handcuffed himself for next year. And left himself no wiggle room in the event Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher play like Leighton and Boucher.

Old
08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Why does Kuato keep referring to himself in the third person?

Old
08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post

I've been wondering that myself.

Old
08-05-2010, 06:41 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Quote:
I've been wondering that myself.
The human part of the mutant 'Kuato' from Total Recall would speak as if he was a separate person. Maybe this Kuato is continuing the trend...

Here's a pic:

Old
08-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Open your mind Quaid, open your mind!

ow, do i have to?

Old
08-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The human part of the mutant 'Kuato' from Total Recall would speak as if he was a separate person. Maybe this Kuato is continuing the trend...
Was that before or after the chick with three breasts?

Old
08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Kuato

Quote:
The Flyers needed a solid 5/6 defenseman, so Homer went out and overpaid for 2 of the 3 that he picked up.
A defenseman? No actually they needed 2, possibly even 3. We all saw that the 3rd pairing showed itself to be completely inept last year. They needed to replace both of them AND find a suitable 7th guy. They did all of this. Nothing stupid about it. He went out and addressed a need.

Now the money, well let's just say that's never been Homer's strong point. He seems to have little-to-no understand of what a salary cap or the term "market value" mean. But as players themselves, they are easily better than that joke of a 3rd pairing last year.

Quote:
Shelley
But the worst thing is that Homer did nothing at all to address the biggest need. Absolutely nothing, except give a waiver wire pickup a raise when he was barely worth what he was making previously.
This statement is totally false. Homer tried to sign at least 2 (that we know of) veteran goalies: Nabakov and Turco. Both turned their noses up to the Flyers.

Old
08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

ow, do i have to?
Kuato said to open your mind, not breath in Mars' air. Everyone knows not to do that.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:01 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
A defenseman? No actually they needed 2, possibly even 3. We all saw that the 3rd pairing showed itself to be completely inept last year. They needed to replace both of them AND find a suitable 7th guy. They did all of this. Nothing stupid about it. He went out and addressed a need.

Now the money, well let's just say that's never been Homer's strong point. He seems to have little-to-no understand of what a salary cap or the term "market value" mean. But as players themselves, they are easily better than that joke of a 3rd pairing last year.

This statement is totally false. Homer tried to sign at least 2 (that we know of) veteran goalies: Nabakov and Turco. Both turned their noses up to the Flyers.
We'll agree to disagree, I guess. Bartulis, while not great, is a young defenseman who could easily fill the #6 role. Pairing him with O'Donnell would help him learn the ropes and do him far more good than sticking him back in the AHL for another year. Who was the last defenseman the Flyers actually developed? The way things are going, and with the stupid deals made this summer, it's going to be a very long time until and if we ever see it again.

Spending a significant chunk of the salary cap on defense, while not addressing the goalie situation is completely irresponsible.

The fact that Homer felt the need to sign Leighton and give him a raise the day before free agency is one that can never be explained or justified. It's mindboggling, and speaks to the absolute cluelessness of Holmgren when it comes to negotiating contracts and the free agency system. My guess is that Leighton's signing signalled to the FA goalies that they would be trading starts with Leighton, at best.

Homer has ****ed up this offseason about as well as anyone could. The Flyers are not better than they were last year, there are question marks surrounding Meszaros (are we going to see the Ottawa player or the Tampa player?), Zherdev (talented, but we have no idea what impact he'll have), and Shelley (how much ice time is he going to get, and which line is he going to pollute?). And another biggie - how many games are Leighton/Boucher going to give away? And the biggest one - if all doesn't go according to whatever plan Holmgren has dreamt up, who is going to be traded for spare parts, because there is no cap room to effectively fix a problem?

Whew... sorry for the longwinded reply. I feel a little like Jester!

Old
08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Kuato

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree, I guess. Bartulis, while not great, is a young defenseman who could easily fill the #6 role. Pairing him with O'Donnell would help him learn the ropes and do him far more good than sticking him back in the AHL for another year. Who was the last defenseman the Flyers actually developed? The way things are going, and with the stupid deals made this summer, it's going to be a very long time until and if we ever see it again.
Agreed to disagree about what? Parent, Krajicek, and Bartulis all looked like lost puppies in the PO's. 1 is gone. 1 probably will be and 1 will be in the press box or on the Phantoms. That is 2-3 guy who need to be replaced. Kuato is confused. Where is the disagreement?

Kuato likes Bartulis. At least he did early on when he looked fairly capable. But he's unproven and cannot be counted on for anything.

Quote:
Spending a significant chunk of the salary cap on defense, while not addressing the goalie situation is completely irresponsible.
Irresponsible? Do you not comprehend that at least two goalies turned the Flyers down? Homer tried to improve in iet. You make it sound like he did not. It is not his fault if a players says no. So he did the next best thing, bulked up the D.

It is called having a back-up plan. If one cannot improve where needed most (debatable whether it was actually the D or in net), you go to the next biggest need.

Quote:
Homer has ****ed up this offseason about as well as anyone could. The Flyers are not better than they were last year
F'd up? Good lord! He improved a weakness! Sure the games have to be played, but on paper they are far and away better defensively. Their defense was so thin last year, we actually all but stopped playing a whole pair. That won't happen this year.

Old
08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Agreed to disagree about what? Parent, Krajicek, and Bartulis all looked like lost puppies in the PO's. 1 is gone. 1 probably will be and 1 will be in the press box or on the Phantoms. That is 2-3 guy who need to be replaced. Kuato is confused. Where is the disagreement?

Bartulis would have been perfectly fine if he wasn't playing along side defensive sieves for partners, with a year of seasoning under his belt and next to a stalwart vet like O'Donnell Bart would have been solid for 12-15 mins a night, probably more solid than a scrub like Walker will be. Also, even if he wasn't good, who cares about your 6th dman in September? That is a very common thing to easily upgrade at the trade deadling.

Kuato likes Bartulis. At least he did early on when he looked fairly capable. But he's unproven and cannot be counted on for anything.

Irresponsible? Do you not comprehend that at least two goalies turned the Flyers down? Homer tried to improve in iet. You make it sound like he did not. It is not his fault if a players says no. So he did the next best thing, bulked up the D.

Two goalies turned Homer down after getting seriously lowballed, then Homer turned around and before free agency even started threw money at Leighton. Leighton is the 2nd highest paid FA tender this offseason, was ANYONE else in the league going to sign Leighton AT ALL? Let alone for that cap hit... epic failure. He also didn't even inquire about my personaly favorite FA this past offseason, Chris Mason, who btw, is only making .25M more than Leighton next year on a bad team where he may be splitting starts, you don't think he would have preferred it here?

It is called having a back-up plan. If one cannot improve where needed most (debatable whether it was actually the D or in net), you go to the next biggest need.

F'd up? Good lord! He improved a weakness! Sure the games have to be played, but on paper they are far and away better defensively. Their defense was so thin last year, we actually all but stopped playing a whole pair. That won't happen this year.

As I commonly mention, and Meltzer recently put it very nicely as well, the pangs of this cluster**** of an offseason are going to be majorly felt next offseason when we are letting Carter or Giroux get offer sheeted (although an offer sheet for Carter would be A-OK with me, personally) and we STILL don't have a goalie.
Replied in Bold.

Old
08-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Kuato

Quote:
Bartulis would have been perfectly fine if he wasn't playing along side defensive sieves for partners, with a year of seasoning under his belt and next to a stalwart vet like O'Donnell Bart would have been solid for 12-15 mins a night, probably more solid than a scrub like Walker will be. Also, even if he wasn't good, who cares about your 6th dman in September? That is a very common thing to easily upgrade at the trade deadling.
Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Spare Kuato this unfounded nonsense. You cannot say "he would have been fine." We simply do not know that. You cannot predict how he "would have played" if "maybe" his partner was different. We simply do not know what would have happened.

Then, you say "who cares" anyway, if he wasn't any good? You are really trying to cover our back with this one, huh? You are closing off any counter arguments. Well Kuato cares! Our weak 3rd pairing was a glaring weakness.

Not to mention, you are actually ignoring Bartulis' own shortcomings. You are making his deficiencies all about other people, not himself. Kuato doesn't go for making excuses and finger-pointing.

Quote:
Two goalies turned Homer down after getting seriously lowballed, then Homer turned around and before free agency even started threw money at Leighton. Leighton is the 2nd highest paid FA tender this offseason, was ANYONE else in the league going to sign Leighton AT ALL? Let alone for that cap hit... epic failure. He also didn't even inquire about my personaly favorite FA this past offseason, Chris Mason, who btw, is only making .25M more than Leighton next year on a bad team where he may be splitting starts, you don't think he would have preferred it here?
Yes, yes Kuato knows it's all Homer's fault. Always is. First he spends too much money, then he lowballs FA's. Make up your mind John Kerry! (Kidding btw).

Kuato does not know if you noticed, but Nabakov priced himself out of the league and Turco did not sign until recently. Obviously these players were holding out for more money, to the point they probably overvalued themselves.

Let's be honest here, this was not all Homer's fault. Come on my good man, Kuato is all for some good conversation, but that is impossible if all you do is finger-point and only look at one side of things.

Quote:
As I commonly mention, and Meltzer recently put it very nicely as well, the pangs of this cluster**** of an offseason are going to be majorly felt next offseason when we are letting Carter or Giroux get offer sheeted (although an offer sheet for Carter would be A-OK with me, personally) and we STILL don't have a goalie.
You want to discuss the salary cap? Then let's do so, but you have to be able to compartmentalize when having a conversation. Homer is not a good cap manager - that much is obvious. However that does not mean every player he acquired as a bad signing. That is very narrow-minded, childish thinking.

Kuato would have been perfectly fine trading Carter in the off-season btw.

Old
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Kuato makes my giny tingle

Old
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Kuato makes my giny tingle
Great Odin's raven! Is it hot in here?

Old
08-06-2010, 03:44 PM
MsWoof

Is Kuato actually Paul Holmgren? Woof wants to know.

Oh, Gawd!

Old
08-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

WTF is up with this thread??
Hockey in the intro thread???!

Welcome though, to all the new guys!

Old
08-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Is Kuato actually Paul Holmgren? Woof wants to know.

Oh, Gawd!
Kambo thinks this too. Kuato's defense of Homer makes Kambo's head hurt.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:16 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Spare Kuato this unfounded nonsense. You cannot say "he would have been fine." We simply do not know that. You cannot predict how he "would have played" if "maybe" his partner was different. We simply do not know what would have happened.

Then, you say "who cares" anyway, if he wasn't any good? You are really trying to cover our back with this one, huh? You are closing off any counter arguments. Well Kuato cares! Our weak 3rd pairing was a glaring weakness.

You know who else has a weak 3rd pairing? Everyone else in the league, most teams even have a weak 2nd pairing. There is a reason they play 12-15 mins a night matched against the other team's bottom 6 lines, there is also a reason they only make .6-1.2 mil/year and those reasons are the same.

Not to mention, you are actually ignoring Bartulis' own shortcomings. You are making his deficiencies all about other people, not himself. Kuato doesn't go for making excuses and finger-pointing.

I am not making excuses, I am stating facts. Bartulis was perfectly fine last year and, imo, played well above expectations considering he was a rookie and as a prospect was never considered much. When evaluating defensemen you HAVE to take into account their partners, you did this in the other thread when you were blinded by Richard's decreased assist numbers affecting his point total from last season due to poor linemates.

Yes, yes Kuato knows it's all Homer's fault. Always is. First he spends too much money, then he lowballs FA's. Make up your mind John Kerry! (Kidding btw).

Kuato does not know if you noticed, but Nabakov priced himself out of the league and Turco did not sign until recently. Obviously these players were holding out for more money, to the point they probably overvalued themselves.

He spends too much money on positions that the team does not need (5th dman, enforcer) and then lowballs our BIGGEST need, goalie. Just because Turco is now making 1.3M does not make the 2M he was offered BEFORE HE WAS ALLOWED TO TEST THE MARKET any less of a lowball offer. The fact is Homer probably only even tested the Turco and Nabokov waters to satiate the less hockey knowledgeable fanbase and never had any intention of pursuing them for very long (as evidenced by signing Leighton before the market opened).

Let's be honest here, this was not all Homer's fault. Come on my good man, Kuato is all for some good conversation, but that is impossible if all you do is finger-point and only look at one side of things.

Let's be honest here, WHOSE FAULT WAS IT THEN?!?!

You want to discuss the salary cap? Then let's do so, but you have to be able to compartmentalize when having a conversation. Homer is not a good cap manager - that much is obvious. However that does not mean every player he acquired as a bad signing. That is very narrow-minded, childish thinking.

When did I ever say such a thing? O'Donnell was in fact the PERFECT signing. A solid, physical vet who can play 15 mins a night without being victimized by coaching matchups on the road when Lavi doesn't have last change? That is literally what everyone on this board was clammoring for this year, the quintessential 3rd pairing dman. I am not thrilled by Shelley, but I understand and accept the "Flyer mentality" that caused him to be signed, 1.1M to play 40 games and 5 mins per game isn't making me lose THAT much sleep, neither is 4M for Mes, it is the combination of the high contracts that cost us Gagne this year and someone of import next year that gives me nightmares.

Kuato would have been perfectly fine trading Carter in the off-season btw.

Agrudez agrees; however, 4 high draft picks next year sounds real good, too.
Replied in bold.

Old
08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Kuato

Quote:
Kambo thinks this too. Kuato's defense of Homer makes Kambo's head hurt.
It is called objectivity my friend. Perhaps a re-read of Kuato's posts are necessary? You'll notice he does criticize Homer's lack of understanding of what a cap is.

Closed Thread