HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leighton....what do you want?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2010, 12:27 PM
  #176
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,678
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Ask any team in the NHL to swap their starting goal tender with Leighton.

Every team will say "Ahhh... no thanks"

He will not improve, maybe just learn to go down quicker because of his god awful 5-hole but he will always be a butter glove hiding deep in the back of the net.
and there are many teams who probably wouldnt trade their backup goalie for Leighton.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:27 PM
  #177
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Someone said Leighton has a weak glove and presented the Eager goal as an example. I then said it was literally the only weak glove goal he let in during the playoffs. You then cited the Sharp goal as an example of another weak goal saying Sharp's shot came from the same spot, which it clearly didn't. The Sharp goal was nearly unstoppable; Eager's goal needed to be stopped. Eager's goal tells you he was rattled.

Leighton has an above average glove hand.
I said Sharps goal was in the same spot, top shelf. Which means Leightons glove is nothing special against weak or tough shots. The only thing that Leighton learned last season from our coach is positioning because we have very good D and all Mike has to do is stay square. Most goalie can do that.

What was your point? Leighton is better or on the same level as Truco? Bravo... Just do not preach this BS outside of Flyers boards. Gonna look real stupid.


Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-05-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:41 PM
  #178
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I said Sharps goal was in the same spot, top shelf. Which means Leightons glove is nothing special against weak or tough shots. The only thing that Leighton learned last season from our coach is positioning because we have very good D and all Mike has to do is stay square. Most goalie can do that.

What was your point? Leighton is better or on the same level as Truco? Bravo... Just do not preach this BS outside of Flyers boards. Gonna look real stupid.
That reasoning makes no sense. Your saying a shot that goes top corner from the blue line is equal to a shot from the low slot that goes in the same spot? Letting in a near unstoppable shot means he has a bad glove hand?

Turco has become ridiculously over-rated here in the last month. Before free agency no one wanted him. Turco hasn't been very impressive for the last few years. Personally, I would have wanted Mason over Turco. Not to say I wouldn't have liked having Leighton/Turco in net, but I'm happy were not going in with just Turco.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:44 PM
  #179
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,542
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post

Turco has become ridiculously over-rated here in the last month.
so has Leighton.


(I'm not saying you over-rate Leighton, just some in general)

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:49 PM
  #180
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
That reasoning makes no sense. Your saying a shot that goes top corner from the blue line is equal to a shot from the low slot that goes in the same spot? Letting in a near unstoppable shot means he has a bad glove hand?

Turco has become ridiculously over-rated here in the last month. Before free agency no one wanted him. Turco hasn't been very impressive for the last few years. Personally, I would have wanted Mason over Turco. Not to say I wouldn't have liked having Leighton/Turco in net, but I'm happy were not going in with just Turco.
I did. Would have been happy with Mason, too.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
  #181
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
so has Leighton.


(I'm not saying you over-rate Leighton, just some in general)
If anything Leighton has been seriously under rated. There's a select few who defend him, and everyone else say he's nothing more then AHL fodder and blame him for everything.

Mason/Leighton would have been great, and I don't think there's any reason why Leighton wouldn't have signed for less. I wonder where his 1.55 million came from.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
  #182
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
That reasoning makes no sense. Your saying a shot that goes top corner from the blue line is equal to a shot from the low slot that goes in the same spot? Letting in a near unstoppable shot means he has a bad glove hand?
When you can't stop either shots? Makes no difference. Why even debate it. His glove is average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Turco has become ridiculously over-rated here in the last month. Before free agency no one wanted him. Turco hasn't been very impressive for the last few years. Personally, I would have wanted Mason over Turco. Not to say I wouldn't have liked having Leighton/Turco in net, but I'm happy were not going in with just Turco.
I am not sure how is Turco overrated? based on what? Cause 97% of Flyers fans would love him instead of your boy Leighton? Turco signed 1.3M a year one year deal. If anything he took a pay cut and that does not make him overrated. Plus he is no doubt a better goalie. I wanted Turco as soon as Dallas made goaltender trade with Atlanta.

I think you said somewhere that both Turco and Mason on the same level as Leighton. That’s just crazy.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
  #183
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,542
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
If anything Leighton has been seriously under rated. There's a select few who defend him, and everyone else say he's nothing more then AHL fodder and blame him for everything.

Mason/Leighton would have been great, and I don't think there's any reason why Leighton wouldn't have signed for less. I wonder where his 1.55 million came from.
he's suitable as a backup goalie, kinda. but as a starter? not in the slightest.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:00 PM
  #184
philly_28
Valar Morghulis
 
philly_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
I wanted anybody who was available in free agency.

Mason, Turco, Ellis or even Biron.

Anybody of this foursome would have been an upgrade over Leighton.

Turco was just the only one left out there for a long time.

It also doesn't help that apart from Mason everyone of them makes less money that him.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
  #185
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
When you can't stop either shots? Makes no difference. Why even debate it. His glove is average.

I am not sure how is Turco overrated? based on what? Cause 97% of Flyers fans would love him instead of your boy Leighton? Turco signed 1.3M a year one year deal. If anything he took a pay cut and that does not make him overrated. Plus he is no doubt a better goalie. I wanted Turco as soon as Dallas made goaltender trade with Atlanta.

I think you said somewhere that both Turco and Mason on the same level as Leighton. Thatís just crazy.
Your reasoning behind his glove hand makes no sense. The majority of people here agree that he has a slightly above average glove hand.

I don't want Leighton as the starter. I also didn't want Turco as the starter. Turco is over-rated and on the decline. I haven't been impressed with him for a few years. Mason is clearly the superior goalie between the three. It's much closer between Turco and Leighton. Turco has the track record, but in my opinion has not performed the last few years. Leighton had performed greatly for only one year, until completely falling apart in the Finals. If you weren't willing to bring in insurance for Leighton (Biron, etc.) it was probably a better option to go with Turco. However I would feel much better with Leighton/Biron then Turco/Boucher. I also feel Leighton fits in better with the system. He's much less likely to let in a weak goal then Turco. However, Turco is more likely to make a spectacular save.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
  #186
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
he's suitable as a backup goalie, kinda. but as a starter? not in the slightest.
I think he's very capable of being a tandem goalie, which is why Holmgren wanted to bring in Turco as the other piece of the puzzle.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
  #187
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Your reasoning behind his glove hand makes no sense. The majority of people here agree that he has a slightly above average glove hand.
Why? because one was a weak goal and another was from Sharp on 2 on 1? Both goals went top shelf with out any deflection and that’s bottom line.


If both goals were given up through 5-hole on weak and heavy shots would you care how they were scored? I guess you would. Not the same right?

There is NOTHING above average about M.Leighton except maybe his size.

So how is Turco overrated on these boards?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
  #188
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Why? because one was a weak goal and another was from Sharp on 2 on 1? Both goals went top shelf with out any deflection and thatís bottom line.


If both goals were given up through 5-hole on weak and heavy shots would you care how they were scored? I guess you would. Not the same right?

There is NOTHING above average about M.Leighton except maybe his size.

So how is Turco overrated on these boards?
Maybe the difference comes from how you both define average? For goalies I personally define average in terms of all NHL goalies when talking about someone who should be a backup, maybe you are discussing it in terms of the average NHL starter?

Just sayin'.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:56 PM
  #189
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Why? because one was a weak goal and another was from Sharp on 2 on 1? Both goals went top shelf with out any deflection and that’s bottom line.


If both goals were given up through 5-hole on weak and heavy shots would you care how they were scored? I guess you would. Not the same right?

There is NOTHING above average about M.Leighton except maybe his size.

So how is Turco overrated on these boards?
Very few, if any goalies in the world are going to stop that shot. If Brodeur or Luongo let in that goal would that mean they are average?

The goalies job is to make all the stops there suppose to and some that no one expects them to make. That's the sign of a very good goalie. Worrying about a goal that wasn't his fault and was the result of a defensive break down is not rational. Worrying about a bad goal given up by a 4th line grinder from the top of the circle is rational. You simply cannot let the one in and still give your team the best chance to win. Stopping Sharp's goal is something no one can expect a goalie to do.

Prior to free agency very few people wanted Turco. He was considered a tertiary choice at best. All the other options go somewhere else and then everyone is clamoring like he will be the teams savior. Just because he became the only option doesn't mean he is any better then when there were other better options available.

And Leighton's best attribute is his size. 6'3" is way above average size for a goalie.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:31 PM
  #190
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I did. Would have been happy with Mason, too.
Word. Same here.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
  #191
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
It was general opinion of the goalie community in the 90's that jimmy Waite had the best glove hand in the NHL. Unfortunately for him, being a good goalie is more than just have a good glove hand. It's a total package that takes constant tweeking and can go wrong in a hurry. We actually have a decent goalie coach now, so he may be able to develop him more, most goalies don't really hit their stride till late 20's. And true, you can't teach tall. But a legitmate stanley cup contender should have a known commodity in net. If the flyers had turco in the finals, they win. Not because he's great, but because he'd be good enough. I just don't think leighton is good enough and consistent enough. Your goalie can't have a clunker in the finals.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 05:24 AM
  #192
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Maybe the difference comes from how you both define average? For goalies I personally define average in terms of all NHL goalies when talking about someone who should be a backup, maybe you are discussing it in terms of the average NHL starter?
Just sayin'.
Hell no. Not in this case. Not me. He is not a starter on 29 out of 30 NHL teams.

He is a starter here because we give chances to mediocre goalies. Goalies that get us nowhere.


Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-06-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
  #193
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Hell no. Not in this case. Not me. He is not a starter on 29 out of 30 NHL teams.

He is a starter here because we give chances to mediocre goalies. Goalies that get us nowhere.
Look at the goalies over the last 20 years since Hextall, it is downright pathetic. Homer is king of second chances, eventually it is going to shoot him in the foot, this could be the year. Playing Russian Roullette eventually you are going to get a loaded chamber.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
  #194
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
If anything Leighton has been seriously under rated. There's a select few who defend him, and everyone else say he's nothing more then AHL fodder and blame him for everything.

Mason/Leighton would have been great, and I don't think there's any reason why Leighton wouldn't have signed for less. I wonder where his 1.55 million came from.
I waver between defending him and attacking Holmgren for not getting a more established goalie. Clearly ML has some NHL talent, which can not be taught. He also has some serious flaws in his game, notably his weak five hole and his foot speed. We are stuck with him though, so all we can really do is hope that Reese can polish that turd into the next Tim Thomas.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
  #195
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I did. Would have been happy with Mason, too.
I wanted Nabakov. Imagine last years team with not just an adequate goalie, but a top five goalie.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 12:11 PM
  #196
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
I waver between defending him and attacking Holmgren for not getting a more established goalie. Clearly ML has some NHL talent, which can not be taught. He also has some serious flaws in his game, notably his weak five hole and his foot speed. We are stuck with him though, so all we can really do is hope that Reese can polish that turd into the next Tim Thomas.
Tim Thomas had some respectable to good seasons before he "bloomed" into an all star and won the Vezina.

Leighton was waived by the worst team in the league. At least he has those great AHL numbers in his mid 20's though!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.