HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Toronto Raptors to play Pre-Season game in Montreal against New York Knicks - Oct 22

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2010, 02:18 PM
  #26
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 13,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Honestly, I hope it sells out. However, I hope no one cheers the raptors. I know 0 about basketball but **** the raptors.
I hope it doesnt, so I can get a good ticket easily

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
  #27
DeadPool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Woha!!! Definitely going.

Had tickets for a CELTICS/RAPTORS game in 2007, the first year of the big three (Allen/Pierce/Garnett) with Boston. Got caught in the snowstorm of the century, I was stuck in the suburbs of Toronto unable to go to the ACC. Still saddens me to this day...

We can expect a lot of upstate new-yorkers crashing in town. They always flooded the Big O for Yankees game and they show-up in large numbers for Rangers game.

Does anyone know if this is the first NBA game at the Bell Centre???

DeadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
  #28
QcnARF
Registered User
 
QcnARF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Seriously?
Okay, I don't HOPE they fail, but I would probably have a good laugh if it did.

Edit: You know what, if failure means we never get a team and don't have to hear a segment about it on RDS like they have for the Raptors on Sportsnet, then yeah I do hope it fails big time

QcnARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
  #29
mechantmardi
Registered User
 
mechantmardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post
How come the Article says Oct. 7 possible and you put Oct. 22 on the thread title... Where is the Oct. 22 info? Is that the official date?
it would have to be the 22nd since the bell centre is booked the 7th by disney on ice

http://www.centrebell.ca/en/page/calendar/2010/10

mechantmardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM
  #30
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,507
vCash: 500
I'll problably go. I like to watch Raptors on TSN.

They lost Bosh but made couple moves.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
  #31
Mr_Lyle
Registered User
 
Mr_Lyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
People are so small minded. No one looks at the big picture. We lost the Expos and we only have 1 major sports team in this city. The Als are great but the CFL is small time. Impact are gonna be in MLS but that league is also small time.

If we have any hope of ever getting an NBA team in this city at some point in the future, this game needs to sell out no matter which teams are playing. Even if people don't like basketball, an NBA team would give Montreal some credibility as a sports city. If Toronto can support an NBA team, there's no reason why Montreal can't.

If you're a sports fan, you should be rooting for this game to sell out as soon as possible.

Mr_Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
  #32
Jake5
Registered User
 
Jake5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
WOW will definitely be going, hope tickets aren't too expensive!

Jake5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 02:52 PM
  #33
QcnARF
Registered User
 
QcnARF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
People are so small minded. No one looks at the big picture. We lost the Expos and we only have 1 major sports team in this city. The Als are great but the CFL is small time. Impact are gonna be in MLS but that league is also small time.

If we have any hope of ever getting an NBA team in this city at some point in the future, this game needs to sell out no matter which teams are playing. Even if people don't like basketball, an NBA team would give Montreal some credibility as a sports city. If Toronto can support an NBA team, there's no reason why Montreal can't.

If you're a sports fan, you should be rooting for this game to sell out as soon as possible.
Lol what? Cheer for a sport even if you don't like it: Montreal will get credibility as a sports city and maybe we can get other teams for other sports you don't like!
No thanks I'll cheer for what I genuinely enjoy. If their are enough true basketball fans, then fine, but don't turn Montreal into the Phoenix Coyotes of the NBA to get some "credibility".

QcnARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 03:03 PM
  #34
TorontoSports
Registered User
 
TorontoSports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
exactly you don't care, so why the **** are you here in the first place?
FAR worse franchises, fan bases and markets remain in MLB. it wasn't the fans or montreal not being a pro city - that lost the team. it was corrupt carpetbaggers than ran the franchise, a greedy league without revenue sharing etc.
montreal is not an NBA town, it might be more than vancouver, but it isn't really. and apologies to TO hab fans, i don't know a single raptor fan in montreal. maybe people will go maybe not. still can't imagine raptors being able to 'tap' into montreal market as canada's team. just like the Bjays are trying. it won't work. the majority of spos fans either left MLB altogether or became red sox / yankee fans
LISTEN bro, I really do miss the expos, I wish they had built the model labatt stadium that was proposed. I loved the Unis, the history, Jarry Park. I hope Montreal, and the rest of Canada for that matter, gets more pro sports and events. I just think it's ignorance and close minded people that pushed away the expos.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 03:04 PM
  #35
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Lol this is like sending Columbus and Florida to play an pre-season game in Las Vegas. It's just not appealing, send the celtics,Lakers,etc here and people will go
Well being optomistic, I believe that if there is a real good amount of people who go to the pre-season game, then maybe in the future NBA will plan a Celtics/Lakers pre-season match in MTL.

Obviously the NBA doesn't know what is to come of the attendance for this game, so why would they gamble the chance of losing money by booking the Lakers here, when they KNOW they'll get a sold out (or near sold out) arena at the Staples center.

The best way to get those 'big' teams here is if people care enough to see the NBA in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcnARF View Post
Lol what? Cheer for a sport even if you don't like it: Montreal will get credibility as a sports city and maybe we can get other teams for other sports you don't like!
No thanks I'll cheer for what I genuinely enjoy. If their are enough true basketball fans, then fine, but don't turn Montreal into the Phoenix Coyotes of the NBA to get some "credibility".
Agreed, I don't want a NBA team here just for the sake of having a Canadian team.

If the pre-season game sells out, then good for the NBA. Try again next year, that sells out too? Possibility of a NBA team is good... but try again and see if it sells out. If so, then we might have a good enough market for NBA.

But honestly. I don't ever see it happening. I may really be speaking for my self, but NBA is not in the DNA of the average Montrealer.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 03:08 PM
  #36
TorontoSports
Registered User
 
TorontoSports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
People are so small minded. No one looks at the big picture. We lost the Expos and we only have 1 major sports team in this city. The Als are great but the CFL is small time. Impact are gonna be in MLS but that league is also small time.

If we have any hope of ever getting an NBA team in this city at some point in the future, this game needs to sell out no matter which teams are playing. Even if people don't like basketball, an NBA team would give Montreal some credibility as a sports city. If Toronto can support an NBA team, there's no reason why Montreal can't.

If you're a sports fan, you should be rooting for this game to sell out as soon as possible.
I agree with this the more sports options the better. The fact that Montreal has downgraded to CFL status is shameful. In the 70s/80s the CFL wouldn't have matter... MTL lost a few CFL teams before.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 03:10 PM
  #37
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
I would like an NBA team in Montreal, some people say they hate it but never watched a game, having a home team could make them change their minds...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 03:36 PM
  #38
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePalm1967 View Post
LISTEN bro, I really do miss the expos, I wish they had built the model labatt stadium that was proposed. I loved the Unis, the history, Jarry Park. I hope Montreal, and the rest of Canada for that matter, gets more pro sports and events. I just think it's ignorance and close minded people that pushed away the expos.
i'm glad you miss them but your post sounded like sarcasm. i agree with you about the expos, but don't blame the fans. they were shat on and taken advantage of - by the league and ownership. there are at least 10 teams in MLB that would be DEAD without revenue sharing. you want to blame people for pushing away the expos? blame brouchu, loria, samson, menard and that ******* selig and his MLB cronies.

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 03:43 PM
  #39
TorontoSports
Registered User
 
TorontoSports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i'm glad you miss them but your post sounded like sarcasm. i agree with you about the expos, but don't blame the fans. they were shat on and taken advantage of - by the league and ownership. there are at least 10 teams in MLB that would be DEAD without revenue sharing. you want to blame people for pushing away the expos? blame brouchu, loria, samson, menard and that ******* selig and his MLB cronies.
Oh trust me, I know it wasn't JUST the fans, I just think if a few more showed up the MLB couldn't just move the team and some Canadian company would have bought them. There were litterally less than 1,000 people at games. I know part of this was the lack of advertising and what not, but if the expos averaged even 13,000 to 17,000 you could have made a case to keep the team. I still hope that one day a new ball park is built in Montreal (and in Toronto for that matter) and baseball comes back to Montreal or even Vancouver. Would be fun times again. I still cannot believe how Montrealers are settling for the CFL.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
  #40
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePalm1967 View Post
Oh trust me, I know it wasn't JUST the fans, I just think if a few more showed up the MLB couldn't just move the team and some Canadian company would have bought them. There were litterally less than 1,000 people at games. I know part of this was the lack of advertising and what not, but if the expos averaged even 13,000 to 17,000 you could have made a case to keep the team. I still hope that one day a new ball park is built in Montreal (and in Toronto for that matter) and baseball comes back to Montreal or even Vancouver. Would be fun times again. I still cannot believe how Montrealers are settling for the CFL.
i hope you're right - but again, there was nobody at the end because they had no hope none. but minny was also voted for contraction and people did come out en masse so you might have a point. but in their final pennant run, the spos did get in the 20-25k range in that last year before they again faded. sad memories.

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
  #41
Rushin Joo
Registered User
 
Rushin Joo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Too bad its the Knicks and Raps, but I'll try to be there.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
  #42
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,648
vCash: 50
Awards:
The two mother-load of crap teams playing against each other. Oh well, I'll still try to go depending on how the tickets are priced. I've always wanted to attend an NBA basketball game live.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
  #43
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
I would like an NBA team in Montreal, some people say they hate it but never watched a game, having a home team could make them change their minds...
The Vancouver Grizzlies had a terrible time to attract players to their city. Toronto cant hold on to their stars either. It may not seem like a big deal to us, but NBA players consider playing in Canada to be an enormous adjustment.

If NBA players have a tough time adjusting to living in Vancouver or Toronto, then I can only imagine how it would be like in Montreal.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 05:55 PM
  #44
Habarazzi
Registered User
 
Habarazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
the only way i go to this is if the tickets are free and their is NO hockey on tv, no antichambre, no attack a 5, no habs radio show, no Journal de MontreaL I can re-read for the 4th time.

Typical Montreal fan ..... Has absolutely no clue or appreciation for any other sport besides hockey

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
  #45
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,777
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
Typical Montreal fan ..... Has absolutely no clue or appreciation for any other sport besides hockey
Well, I don't like any sport besides hockey either...however, if others wanna go and it can be successful, by all means, I hope they play a pre season game here every year.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:50 PM
  #46
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
why the knicks? couldn't they choose to play a better team?

I would go if it's cheap, but I would have definitely gone at any price if it was a team like the lakers or the spurs or the celtics or the heat.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
  #47
chips28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
I would like an NBA team in Montreal, some people say they hate it but never watched a game, having a home team could make them change their minds...
well... if we have an NBA team in Montreal, we must have at least 3 Québécois on the team... no joke

chips28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:33 PM
  #48
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 13,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Too bad its the Knicks and Raps, but I'll try to be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
why the knicks? couldn't they choose to play a better team?

I would go if it's cheap, but I would have definitely gone at any price if it was a team like the lakers or the spurs or the celtics or the heat.
ROFL

I know those teams suck

But hey, how often do we get to have an NBA game in Montreal?


Stop being so picky guys

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:16 PM
  #49
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
Typical Montreal fan ..... Has absolutely no clue or appreciation for any other sport besides hockey
Well here we go again, someone that assumes all the wrong things and then posts this kind of reply.
Nowhere did I say I only go to or watch Hockey. Montreal is full of sports fans that like all kinds of sports, to call all sports fans from Montreal " clueless " about other sports is stupid. I may or may not be a typical Montreal Fan. You read my post and spew hatred and or wrong assumptions against ALL Montreal Fans... Next time THINK before you write.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:20 PM
  #50
Lars Eller Superstar*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
Typical Montreal fan ..... Has absolutely no clue or appreciation for any other sport besides hockey
Raptors are garbage ... it will be a boring game with useless meaning

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.